Review of Trident Aegis case for Nexus 7 (2013) w/lots of pics!!!

Search This thread

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
This is a review of Trident Aegis series case for Nexus 7 (2013). http://www.tridentcase.com/shop-products/google-nexus-7-ii/aegis-case-google-nexus-7-ii.aspx

Seems like most of the cases for tablets fall into 2 categories, folio book cover type and rugged outdoor type. With rugged cases, some might look tough and claim to survive any extreme situation, but only a few can back it up with actual results of independent testing. Aegis series of cases definitely falls into the later category. I have tested a number of Trident cases in the past with various smartphones and tablets, and can tell you with certainty they mean business. And here is why.

The case arrived in a very nice package with a front clear display window to give you a full visual of the product. Flipping it over reveals a detailed list of all the supported features to give you a nice walk though of what to expect. I think the one which I was impressed the most with: tested with 26 drops onto a concrete from 4ft. I would never want to experience that, but knowing someone tested it already gives me a piece of mind. After taking the case out of the box, you do realize it's not exactly featherlight at 162g, but most of the weight comes from the inner silicone shell with an excellent shock absorption property and full wrap around design with added corner protection. For additional protection, you also get a 2nd layer of hardened PC material which holds inner silicone layer from pulling around the sides and has a grip assistance handle along the sides. The bottom two speaker ports also have a dust filter built into PC layer.

The inner silicone layer has power and volume up/down buttons sealed and covered, and offers flap covers for micro-usb charging port and headphone jack. I do have to note that power and volume buttons have a nice tactile response, but power button was a bit harder to push in comparison to volume. Perhaps that was an intension so you don't accidentally turn it on if you drop the case, but if you want a more touch sensitive response you can always put a little piece of sticky/mask tape inside of the rubber button to improve it. Camera port had a precise opening and a padding around for extra protection. On a front of the case, you get a nice wrap around protection and bezel coverage which enables you to put tablet face down without a worry of the display glass touching a surface and also additional skid protection. And speaking of screen protection. it's very rare to see it with other cases, but Trident also provides you with a quality scratch resistant screen protector. That was a very pleasant bonus.

Overall, this is one great case worth considering if you are planning to use your Nexus 7 outdoors or perhaps you let your kids play with a tablet or use it in a car mount (like the one offered by Arkon which are in partnership with Trident) over the bumpy ride. Any of these activities will give you a piece mind knowing this case was tested already by dropping it 26 times onto concrete from a 4ft height ;) Also, on Amazon for $35-$40 its not a bad value.

Here are the pictures.

trident_aegis_n7_2013-01_zps75c9c940.jpg

trident_aegis_n7_2013-02_zpse89fb5ae.jpg

trident_aegis_n7_2013-03_zps65bd60b6.jpg

trident_aegis_n7_2013-04_zps79504bdb.jpg

trident_aegis_n7_2013-05_zps28c1f9d1.jpg

trident_aegis_n7_2013-06_zps7ace35ac.jpg

trident_aegis_n7_2013-07_zps45e74a52.jpg

trident_aegis_n7_2013-08_zps61cf21a5.jpg

trident_aegis_n7_2013-09_zps4f998878.jpg

trident_aegis_n7_2013-10_zps26bf1e49.jpg

trident_aegis_n7_2013-11_zps99366190.jpg

trident_aegis_n7_2013-12_zps76322064.jpg

trident_aegis_n7_2013-13_zps11283087.jpg

trident_aegis_n7_2013-14_zps73cf10ef.jpg

trident_aegis_n7_2013-15_zpsf768b2ff.jpg

trident_aegis_n7_2013-16_zpsc894c424.jpg

trident_aegis_n7_2013-17_zps2c246650.jpg

trident_aegis_n7_2013-18_zps21989b95.jpg

trident_aegis_n7_2013-19_zpsaf0f011c.jpg

trident_aegis_n7_2013-20_zps83978ab0.jpg

Ediez

Feb 5, 2014
quick question/opinion

I ordered the Seidio Dilex case yesterday and it came to be $47 and change with shipping...today I saw that the Trident Aegis dropped to $30 and change with free shipping. I was torn between both of these cases and was wondering in your opinion which one is the better case. I know that the stand is a huge plus on the Dilex but truthfully I won't use it at all. I do like the idea of using it as a screen cover while traveling. As far as thickness goes which of the two is the slimmer one? also, I read somewhere that the silicone on the Dilex is a dust/lint magnet, did you find this to be correct? how does the Aegis compare with attracting dust/lint? I'd appreciate your help and advice. Thanks!!!

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
I ordered the Seidio Dilex case yesterday and it came to be $47 and change with shipping...today I saw that the Trident Aegis dropped to $30 and change with free shipping. I was torn between both of these cases and was wondering in your opinion which one is the better case. I know that the stand is a huge plus on the Dilex but truthfully I won't use it at all. I do like the idea of using it as a screen cover while traveling. As far as thickness goes which of the two is the slimmer one? also, I read somewhere that the silicone on the Dilex is a dust/lint magnet, did you find this to be correct? how does the Aegis compare with attracting dust/lint? I'd appreciate your help and advice. Thanks!!!

Why don't you order both and then decide which one you like better? As long as you order from Amazon directly, rather than a specific seller, returns are hassle free. Everybody will have a personal preference since YMMV.

In my personal opinion, and considering that I review all the cases (you can check the Index in my signature), DILEX has a better quality material. They are both equally slim and have similar inner silicone and outer exoskeleton design. Seidio silicone will attract more dust/lint, and you can see it clearly from both of my detailed reviews since I included a lot of pictures. At the same time, Trident exoskeleton is more plastic-y and slippery; it will slide off the surface if you put the tablet face up. For traveling, DILEX screen cover will be a saver, and unlike typical folio cases, use just use it when traveling or as a kickstand; when you don't need it - you don't have to drag it around. And there is a price difference of $17. You have all these pros and cons, gotta figure out which one works for you ;)

AdoSA

Jun 13, 2012
Sarajevo
I've got my Trident Aegis this morning and I must say that I'm very impressed with it. Build quality is excellent, it feels sturdy and it looks good. I recommend this case to everyone :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a review of Trident Aegis series case for Nexus 7 (2013). http://www.tridentcase.com/shop-products/google-nexus-7-ii/aegis-case-google-nexus-7-ii.aspx

Seems like most of the cases for tablets fall into 2 categories, folio book cover type and rugged outdoor type. With rugged cases, some might look tough and claim to survive any extreme situation, but only a few can back it up with actual results of independent testing. Aegis series of cases definitely falls into the later category. I have tested a number of Trident cases in the past with various smartphones and tablets, and can tell you with certainty they mean business. And here is why.

The case arrived in a very nice package with a front clear display window to give you a full visual of the product. Flipping it over reveals a detailed list of all the supported features to give you a nice walk though of what to expect. I think the one which I was impressed the most with: tested with 26 drops onto a concrete from 4ft. I would never want to experience that, but knowing someone tested it already gives me a piece of mind. After taking the case out of the box, you do realize it's not exactly featherlight at 162g, but most of the weight comes from the inner silicone shell with an excellent shock absorption property and full wrap around design with added corner protection. For additional protection, you also get a 2nd layer of hardened PC material which holds inner silicone layer from pulling around the sides and has a grip assistance handle along the sides. The bottom two speaker ports also have a dust filter built into PC layer.

The inner silicone layer has power and volume up/down buttons sealed and covered, and offers flap covers for micro-usb charging port and headphone jack. I do have to note that power and volume buttons have a nice tactile response, but power button was a bit harder to push in comparison to volume. Perhaps that was an intension so you don't accidentally turn it on if you drop the case, but if you want a more touch sensitive response you can always put a little piece of sticky/mask tape inside of the rubber button to improve it. Camera port had a precise opening and a padding around for extra protection. On a front of the case, you get a nice wrap around protection and bezel coverage which enables you to put tablet face down without a worry of the display glass touching a surface and also additional skid protection. And speaking of screen protection. it's very rare to see it with other cases, but Trident also provides you with a quality scratch resistant screen protector. That was a very pleasant bonus.

Overall, this is one great case worth considering if you are planning to use your Nexus 7 outdoors or perhaps you let your kids play with a tablet or use it in a car mount (like the one offered by Arkon which are in partnership with Trident) over the bumpy ride. Any of these activities will give you a piece mind knowing this case was tested already by dropping it 26 times onto concrete from a 4ft height ;) Also, on Amazon for $35-$40 its not a bad value.

Here are the pictures.

trident_aegis_n7_2013-01_zps75c9c940.jpg

trident_aegis_n7_2013-02_zpse89fb5ae.jpg

trident_aegis_n7_2013-03_zps65bd60b6.jpg

trident_aegis_n7_2013-04_zps79504bdb.jpg

trident_aegis_n7_2013-05_zps28c1f9d1.jpg

trident_aegis_n7_2013-06_zps7ace35ac.jpg

trident_aegis_n7_2013-07_zps45e74a52.jpg

trident_aegis_n7_2013-08_zps61cf21a5.jpg

trident_aegis_n7_2013-09_zps4f998878.jpg

trident_aegis_n7_2013-10_zps26bf1e49.jpg

trident_aegis_n7_2013-11_zps99366190.jpg