[Script][A2SD]Darktremor 2.7.5.3 Beta 04 [Aria] (01/29/2011)

Search This thread

tkirton

Jul 13, 2009
Katy Texas
www.darktremor.info
Disabled by default, huh? Do this: in an ADB shell, type:

ls -a /data/.noa2sd

If something returns, that's the issue. That file keeps Apps2SD from running (it's designed to).

To remove it, simply type a2sd reinstall (that will also move your files to the SD card).

Ok...tried it again. Here's exactly what I did: Linux liveD method partition: 6.7GB Fat32, 1GB Ext3, 32MB Linux swap. I was sure I did the mount thing as well. Did nandroid backup then copied my old card (entirely) into the new Fat32. Stuck the new card into the powered off phone and booted into recovery. Installed the zip you posted in this thread. After install (with no problems) I reboot phone and no change to the indicated internal storage capacity. I am running liberated aria r010 which is purported to include dta2sd, but disabled by default. If this is my issue, how do I enable it?

Sent from my (liberated) HTC Liberty using XDA App

duckredbeard

Aug 21, 2010
Success...I think. I did the ADB a2sd reinstall and saw the flag get changed. After reboot noticed a few apps missing from home creens. No problem putting them back. Guess those were the ones that got moved. I was expecting to see some increase on indicated internal capacity. I only see that the used amount is lower.

tkirton

Jul 13, 2009
Katy Texas
www.darktremor.info
No, you won't see any increase in internal capacity...that part is fixed by the partition size of /data. But the fact that your used space was lowered is exactly what is suppose to happen (unless the reduction is due to the few apps you are missing).

Success...I think. I did the ADB a2sd reinstall and saw the flag get changed. After reboot noticed a few apps missing from home creens. No problem putting them back. Guess those were the ones that got moved. I was expecting to see some increase on indicated internal capacity. I only see that the used amount is lower.

duckredbeard

Aug 21, 2010
I'm not missing the apps, they just disappeared from my home screens (desktop). I got them all back on there with no problem. I was 150/185 used, now about 80/185. I was expecting more to move, but I guess that is up to the apps. I am seeing more updates including A2SD capable. Good thing. Now, how do I see how much of my Ext3 partition has been used? Should I assume that whatever is still showing in my internal is what couldn't be moved?

Thanks for walking me through this. Good to get support straight from the dev. Much appreciated.

tkirton

Jul 13, 2009
Katy Texas
www.darktremor.info
Since you only dealt with applications, the other parts that take up internal storage is dalvik-cache (unless the rom you are using is relocating dalvik-cache somewhere else).

Run a2sd check and see where your dalvik-cache is located. If it is located in Internal Storage, you can further reduce the used space by typing a2sd cachesd.

I'm not missing the apps, they just disappeared from my home screens (desktop). I got them all back on there with no problem. I was 150/185 used, now about 80/185. I was expecting more to move, but I guess that is up to the apps. I am seeing more updates including A2SD capable. Good thing. Now, how do I see how much of my Ext3 partition has been used? Should I assume that whatever is still showing in my internal is what couldn't be moved?

Thanks for walking me through this. Good to get support straight from the dev. Much appreciated.

duckredbeard

Aug 21, 2010
I believe I have read a few posts that suggest that the dalvik on the SD can contribute to force closes. I'll be fine for now. What exactly is in the dalvik cache anyway?

Is there not a way to monitor the Ext3 partition to see how much is used?

tkirton

Jul 13, 2009
Katy Texas
www.darktremor.info
I believe I have read a few posts that suggest that the dalvik on the SD can contribute to force closes. I'll be fine for now. What exactly is in the dalvik cache anyway?

Is there not a way to monitor the Ext3 partition to see how much is used?

Dalvik-cache is a directory that is used by DalvikVM. This is the pseudo-Java runtime that is used to run all the graphical programs you see on Android. DalvikVM performs an executable cache, similar to Windows prefetch directory. It breaks down a program, extracts the executable code, then optimizes it for quick launch. When you run the program again, DalvikVM will go back to the dalvik-cache directory to run the executable code.

Actually, the dalvik-cache force closes were related to the /cache directory. This is a directory (more like a partition) that is used for OTA updates. Mostly unused, some ROM developers started using that partition to put the dalvik-cache in. The problem stemmed from the SenseUI framework clearing the /cache partition during boot (which erases dalvik-cache). Several other developers discovered if you do a binding mount on a directory in /cache, SenseUI can't delete the directory and, therefore, dalvik-cache isn't deleted. Problem solved.

As for monitoring EXT3, try a2sd diskspace

-viperboy-

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2007
PA
It seems like no apps are going to the card. What else do I need to do? Used ROM Manager to set up ext3 for 512mb, 32mb swap. adb shell and ran the a2sd setup (forgot the code), phone rebooted. No apps on the memory card. ran a2sd check and it didn't show that there are apps there. I thought this was going to work like my EVO where in Applications it will give you the option to move a certain app to the sd card. A little help here would be great. Using Liberated ROM.

gdeer80

Feb 15, 2008
help

hello i follow step by step, finish installing to a fresh rom. my question is how do i know program is working or how can i tell? any help would be appreciated ty

edit: i think i found out, application storage is staying still after many of installs....hope thats mean it working.

Last edited:

tkirton

Jul 13, 2009
Katy Texas
www.darktremor.info
Some clarification is in order.

Froyo gives the user the option to move an application to the SD card...it gives you the option to move it to a secure location on the FAT32 partition. This is called Froyo Apps2SD (or Froyo A2SD). Darktremor is the old-style version of Apps2SD (in Froyo's world, called Apps2EXT or A2SD+...to differentiate it from Froyo's version). This version forces your programs to go to the EXT partition on your SD card.

To use this version, set your applications to run from the internal storage. To use Froyo's built-in version, select "Run from external storage".

Also, is the program truly working? Run a2sd check and post the results. That will tell me if it is working.

It seems like no apps are going to the card. What else do I need to do? Used ROM Manager to set up ext3 for 512mb, 32mb swap. adb shell and ran the a2sd setup (forgot the code), phone rebooted. No apps on the memory card. ran a2sd check and it didn't show that there are apps there. I thought this was going to work like my EVO where in Applications it will give you the option to move a certain app to the sd card. A little help here would be great. Using Liberated ROM.

tkirton

Jul 13, 2009
Katy Texas
www.darktremor.info
That's usually a good sign. Easiest way to find out is to run a2sd check and see if it actually says programs are going to the SD card.

hello i follow step by step, finish installing to a fresh rom. my question is how do i know program is working or how can i tell? any help would be appreciated ty

edit: i think i found out, application storage is staying still after many of installs....hope thats mean it working.

gdeer80

Feb 15, 2008
ahh ty for advice, after checking a2sd check if it install in sd, which it did. everything work ok.. ty so much for advice

duckredbeard

Aug 21, 2010
I noticed one of my apps, Tasker, has been a little sluggish lately. The Tasker developer suggests that his app will not run well from the SD card. I have found that Tasker has indeed been moved to SD. How do I move it back to internal?

Yes, I did do a search of this question in the forum. Threads that came up had between 250 and 12000 posts. Not going to read all of them.

tkirton

Jul 13, 2009
Katy Texas
www.darktremor.info
Wasn't going to tell you to go search for it. I know searching for things in XDA can get cumbersome at times.

You can't move an individual file to the internal storage via Apps2SD. The program simply wasn't designed for this (as the /data/app and /data/app-private is symbolically linked to the SD card).

You can move the file to the /system/app directory by moving the program (I use busybox mv command) from /data/app (or /data/app-private) to /system/app. However, if your phone has NAND protection, you will need to do this via Recovery (which could be complicated).

Command: busybox mv -f /data/app/<program name> /system/app

I do notice that as I use the phone more, the phone will become sluggish. This is due to Google's settings for low memory killer (they are too low, you almost run out of memory before it does anything). I would try setting low memory killer settings to something like "strict" or "aggressive" (type a2sd help for the commands or use a program like AutoKiller).

Also, try using a program called CacheMate to clear the various cache data in /data/data. This may also help as the internal storage may be running low. Also, moving the dalvik-cache to the SD card or /cache partition may also help, as dalvik-cache will take up space.

If your SD card is a Class 2, the program may be writing alot of data constantly to the SD card. A faster SD card may be the answer (Class 4 minimum...recommend Class 6).

I noticed one of my apps, Tasker, has been a little sluggish lately. The Tasker developer suggests that his app will not run well from the SD card. I have found that Tasker has indeed been moved to SD. How do I move it back to internal?

Yes, I did do a search of this question in the forum. Threads that came up had between 250 and 12000 posts. Not going to read all of them.

duckredbeard

Aug 21, 2010
Thanks for your reply. I do run a task killer often and my card is class 4. I also run cachemate often. I'll look into the other suggestions later this week.

duckredbeard

Aug 21, 2010
I'm running Tasker on a rooted and liberated aria (R012) and have Darktremor apps2sd. Tasker was installed before the a2sd. I just checked and found Tasker to be running from the SD. If I uninstall then reinstall Tasker, will it run better and not be moved again?

unshad

Jun 5, 2008
Help to understand. I'm beginner. HTC Aria, ROM: Liberated_Aria R012.
Has made as it is written here:
To Enable A2SD:
Backup your applications
Backup your sdcard
Partition your sdcard with ROM Manager with an ext partition option. (ROM manager is in Market)
This should start a special mode of clockwork recovery, which will partition the sdcard.

But at program installation are put in memory of phone. Why? What it is necessary to make that programs were put on SD?
Excuse for my English.

tkirton

Jul 13, 2009
Katy Texas
www.darktremor.info
If you reinstall Tasker with Apps2SD running, it will automatically get installed on the SD card (the location for the internal storage is symlinked to the SD card).

It's possible that Tasker will run better if you reinstall it, especially since Darktremor was added after Tasker.

I'm running Tasker on a rooted and liberated aria (R012) and have Darktremor apps2sd. Tasker was installed before the a2sd. I just checked and found Tasker to be running from the SD. If I uninstall then reinstall Tasker, will it run better and not be moved again?

tkirton

Jul 13, 2009
Katy Texas
www.darktremor.info
You normally run programs from internal storage (different than internal memory...internal storage is a NAND chip that is strictly used for storage...similar to your SD card). On the older phones, that internal space was rather limited (192MB if I recall). This would severely limit the number of apps you can put on your phone.

Even phones like my HTC Sprint Hero, which has 256MB of internal storage, was still lacking. So, Cyanogen created a method to trick Android into running programs from the SD card. The trick is the EXT partition. Android's core OS is Linux, and EXT partitions (EXT2 and EXT3) are native to Linux (EXT4 is on later versions).

Google, until Froyo came around, restricted the SD card to only store information. You couldn't run a program from there, so you couldn't take advantage of a 4GB SD card to install programs to. The EXT partition works around that as Linux sees this partition as native, meaning you can run programs from it.

Even with Froyo, Google restricts the use of the SD card to a secure area that Froyo creates. If you ever jump back to Eclair, the programs are, technically, "lost". This is because Eclair doesn't understand the Froyo apps2sd system. But, the classic Apps2SD (the one that uses the EXT partition) is understood by all current and future versions of Android.

Help to understand. I'm beginner. HTC Aria, ROM: Liberated_Aria R012.
Has made as it is written here:
To Enable A2SD:
Backup your applications
Backup your sdcard
Partition your sdcard with ROM Manager with an ext partition option. (ROM manager is in Market)
This should start a special mode of clockwork recovery, which will partition the sdcard.

But at program installation are put in memory of phone. Why? What it is necessary to make that programs were put on SD?
Excuse for my English.

unshad

Jun 5, 2008
Thanks for an explanation, but at me a problem that doesn't work A2SD. I installed the rom and partitioned the sd card. But programs continue to be put in memory of phone, not memory SD card.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introducing...
    Darktremor Apps2SD 2.7.5.3 Beta 04
    Date of Release: January 29, 2011

Download Current Version

Instructions - Change Log - Commands - ROM List - Developer's Guide
    Darktremor Apps2SD Fan Page ---- Darktremor Apps2SD Development Group

Are you installing Darktremor Apps2SD on your phone? Here are the instructions to help you: Facebook
    Are you a developer wanting to include Darktremor Apps2SD in your latest ROM? Here is the Developer Guide: Facebook
    Update on Beta 4
    It seems I'm getting mixed results with these betas. I'm not sure why this is occurring, some people have been able to get this working right while others have had a hard time with it.

Currently, I'm rebuilding the entire program. This takes a while because I have to figure out how to pack all these options into the program but make it small enough to where it will run correctly.

I will say that some of the beta features are coming back out...one of them is the search for a partition code. I suspect that code may be leading me into issues with certain platforms, so I'm going back to the 2.7.5.2 method of mounting (mmcblk0p2 or mmcblk1p2).

Also, parts of the code will use Busybox Ash (the only code that won't will be starta2sd, which will still use Bash for the time being). The startup code will definitely use Busybox Ash.

Until then, here are the links to the the last two betas and the last official release:

Version 2.7.5.3 Beta 04 - http://www.darktremor.info/files/a2sd/dtapps2sd-2.7.5.3-beta04-signed.zip
    Version 2.7.5.3 Beta 03 - http://www.darktremor.info/files/a2sd/dtapps2sd-2.7.5.3-beta03-signed.zip
    Version 2.7.5.2-1 - http://www.darktremor.info/files/a2sd/dtapps2sd-2.7.5.2-1-signed.zip

And, if you want past versions, you can view the repository: ftp://dtuser:Darktremor1@ftp.darktremor.info (ignore the smiley face...that's XDA doing that.)
    Beta 04 took longer than I expected to release. I have done major changes to the code:

1. New commands: convert-ext4 - This will convert your EXT3 partition into EXT4. Just a friendly reminder on this command: Not every rom supports EXT4, so it is possible to go into a boot loop if you switch roms. Use with caution.

2. Reworked convert-ext3 (convert-ext4 gets similar code)...now a flag file is set before the reboot (no conversion is done before the reboot). At load time, the conversion is performed. This takes longer in the reboot process and you may think your phone has locked up...wait about five minutes before doing anything with the phone.

3. Repair is rebuilt...now it uses existing commands to repair the setup (reinstall, remove, cachesd, cachepart, nocache, datasd, nodata). Definitely shrinks the code.

4. Added fix_permissions program to the package. This may help with Superuser issues when using the datasd feature. It is used in reinstall, remove, datasd and nodata.

5. a2sd install is back!!! Both a2sd install and a2sd reinstall do the exact same thing.

6. Dalvik heap code has been shrunk and now creates a file called dalvikheap. Actually, the code has been doing this all along (since about 2.7.5.2, I think), but I never put the code in to use the file.

7. Low Memory Killer code has also been shrunk and uses a file caled dtset_lowmem to set the low memory killer parameter.

8. Replaced Busybox PS function with Toolbox PS. The issue with Busybox PS is that it gives a false reading when I look for android.process.acore (which is the main program when the GUI starts up). If that is present, the program thinks you are trying to run Darktremor without any command line parameters. This was because Busybox would report the process was there when, in reality, it wasn't (validated this when my phone was boot looping.) Toolbox's PS reports the correct setting. This should fix the bootlooping issues some people are experiencing.

9. New commands: usedtbusybox and usedefaultbusybox - these commands may help in diagnosing issues that is may be related to the native Busybox on your rom. a2sd usedtbusybox will use the Busybox that is packaged with Darktremor. a2sd usedefaultbusybox will turn back on the scan behavior of the program introduced in Beta 03.

10. Support for Darktremor Apps2SD version 2.7 and earlier has been discontinued. To upgrade correctly from one of those versions, use version 2.7.5.3 Beta 03b or earlier.

11. Finally fixed stalled boot issues (or at least my tests with several roms says so.)

See the change log for additional details.

You will notice that if the program runs repair and finds a problem, it will correct the issue and reboot. You will see a second reboot when the dalvik-cache clears (this is to fix timing issues with CyanogenMod...I can't control that startup as well as I can other roms). This only happens if repair is ran or you flash a new rom (as repair will realign all data). If you are upgrading from a previous version of Darktremor, you should not see the reboots.
    This is Darktremor Apps2SD, a multipurpose program that primarily allows a user to execute applications created for the Android OS on their Secure Digital card (with the proper setup...more on that later). But, Darktremor Apps2SD is all about stability. The goal is to be able for all users of the Android OS to be able to take advantage of a method to run their applications from a secure digital card.

But just because the Darktremor Apps2SD is all about stability, doesn't mean it isn't packed with features:

- Move applications (both free and paid) to the Secure Digital card.
    - Move Dalvik Cache to run either from your Secure Digital card or from your cache partition and clears the cache on demand.
    - Boot Loop Protection: prevents the phone from boot looping in the event the SD card could not be mounted.
    - Dalvik JIT for faster performance on Roms which support it.
    - User selectable sizes for the Dalvik heap sizes, allowing a user to freely optimize their system.
    - Activate a swap partition on your SD card and sets how often the swap partition is utilized.
    - Automatically fixes configuration issues.
    - Users can check the free space on their SD card and check the installation to make sure all is setup correctly.
    - Runs ZipAlign on demand...this makes your programs load faster.
    - Built in help system for easy reference of commands.
    - All features can also be reversed without repartitioning your Secure Digital card.
    - New logging features assists in troubleshooting issues.
    - Commands to set the Low Memory Killer feature at boot time. Great for those people who are the "set it and forget it" type.
    - And more...

Darktremor Apps2SD is not the same as Froyo Apps2SD. Froyo Apps2SD creates a secure folder on the FAT32 section of your SD card (this is the section that you see when you mount your phone to your computer) and stores the programs there. This is nice as you don't have to do anything special with the phone, but it isn't backwards compatible with older versions of Android (Cupcake, Donut, Eclair) and, because of the way Froyo works, older programs not designed for Froyo will automatically stay on your internal storage (unless you install a program that forces the move to your SD card).

Darktremor Apps2SD takes a different approach. Based on the original CyanogenMod works, Darktremor Apps2SD uses symbolic linking to force Android into moving your applications to the SD card. Because Android will not allow anything to be ran from the FAT32 partition on your SD card (and, in Froyo, it will only allow you to run programs from a special folder), Darktremor utilizes filesystems called EXT2, EXT3 and EXT4. Each one of these filesystems is native to Linux (the operating system running Android), which allows you to run programs from them (same as, say, a computer running Ubuntu). This method is completely compatible with all versions of Android, including Froyo. In fact, you can run both the Darktremor Apps2SD and Froyo Apps2SD at the same time.

Check out the list of Roms that either have Darktremor Apps2SD installed or are compatible with Darktremor Apps2SD. Click on the link labeled ROM List at the top of this message.
    Yea...that FR008 was throwing me off.

To upgrade the version in Liberated Aria, simply flash the new version on top of it. The Darktremor Apps2SD is designed to run both directly and through run-parts.

No, I'm not talking about Froyo Apps2SD; I'm talking about DT A2SD bundled with Liberated Aria. My use of the term "FR008" was probably confusing.
    No, you shouldn't have to...however, if you are flashing a new CM nightly, keep in mind that the kernel that you use may affect Darktremor (some kernels don't have EXT filesystems active). I'm not saying that's what happened to you, but I'm starting to see this issue becoming more common.

Also, if this is a fresh install of Darktremor, then the program will perform two reboots, the first one is to do a realign of the apps, dalvik-cache and data (actually, more apps than the rest). The second one is to clear dalvik-cache. Final boot will take a while as dalvik-cache is rebuilding.

However, I'm not so sure how reliable is the dalvik-cache clear...I've seen it not execute.

Try clearing dalvik-cache again and, if that doesn't work, clear /data partition (factory wipe).

Hmm. Tried to flash beta 4 when flashing cm7 n22 last night, but got bootloops.

Should i have to do something special in order to do a new DT install with these betas?

Sent from my HTC Aria using XDA app
    Hey All, I am running CM7 with the built in Apps2sd feature. If I want to use DT Apps2sd do I have to still partition the card or can I just flash it?

Yes. Regular cm apps to sd uses the fat32 partition on the sd card. DT needs an ext partition. ROM manager does a nice job of partitioning the card correctly. You probably want to back up your card before partitioning though, or you will lose data.

I highly recommend dt apps2sd.

Edit: sorry, just re-read my response and realized it it's slightly vague...you do need to re-partition to use dt a2sd unless you already have an ext2/3 partition in the second position on the card.

Sent from my Liberty using Tapatalk
    Rom Manager does not work on my phone for some reason. Is there an alternative method. When I reboot into recovery there is no Partition SDcard option.

If using ClockworkMod Recovery, you can't partition your SD card from recovery. You have to use ROM Manager itself when the device is on to partition. There are other ways to partition your card though using Paragon Partition Manager or as mentioned GParted.