[GUIDE][US WIFI & 3G] How To Root Your Xoom From 3.2 Stock [PC & Mac]

Search This thread

K6dime

Aug 16, 2010
ok i dled the rootboot.img and it doesnt open in winzip... so i placed it in the files with all the other files required to root.. i type fastboot flash boot rootboot.img and i get error: cannot load 'rootboot.img'
thanks for the help in advance!

jase33

Jul 29, 2010
- /
ok i dled the rootboot.img and it doesnt open in winzip... so i placed it in the files with all the other files required to root.. i type fastboot flash boot rootboot.img and i get error: cannot load 'rootboot.img'

That is usually caused by the command window not being opened or started from the same directory as adb is going to look for the files. Make sure you have all files in the correct place (i.e. tools or platform-tools folder?)

Reactions: axxonX and R1150GSA

R1150GSA

Jul 24, 2009
Thanks for the guide, jase33.

Dumb question: Once the device is rooted will it receive OTA updates when new Android versions come out, or is there some other procedure we should follow?

wesamothman

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 5, 2012
Dallas - TX
You wont be able to receive ota updares once rooted. However, if you flash a custom rom, such as team eos ics rom, they release updates every now and then that you can flash manually thru recovery.

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    **THIS IS FOR US WIFI & 3G XOOM**

This guide in no way implies or expresses any warranties.
    What you choose to do with your equipment is your sole responsibilty.

________________________________________________________________________________________

SUMMARY
    • You must already be running Honeycomb 3.2 on your Xoom **DO NOT USE WITH HC 3.2.1. IT HAS BEEN REPORTED TO CAUSE WIFI FAILURES** USE THIS TO ROOT HC 3.2 AND THEN UPDATE TO 3.2.1 USING THIS METHOD.
    • You will be unlocking your Xoom, if you have not already. This will wipe data so make sure to back everything up that you would like to keep.
    • You will be performing steps in ADB. If you are not familiar with this, read HERE first.​
    • You will need Xoom USB drivers and Fastboot
    • You will need the WIFI boot (kernel) partition with rooted stock 3.2 kernel (thanks & credit to, solarnz)​
    • OR You will need the 3G Verizon boot (kernel) partition with rooted stock 3.2 kernel (thanks & credit to, solarnz)​
    • You will need Superuser.apk and su binary to enable functioning root​
    **Before you get started, make sure the USB Debugging option is enabled in the Settings. Go to Settings --> Applications --> Development -->USB Debugging**

PROCEDURE

• Download and unzip files. Place rootboot.img, superuser.apk & su binary in the same place you will open your command window.
    • Open command window:
    • Type; adb devices - you should see a long serial number on the screen. If no serial number appears, recheck your adb, sdk & moto usb driver files.​
    • Type; adb reboot bootloader
    • Type; fastboot oem unlock - and follow the steps on your xoom's screen (You have to accept the terms by pressing the volume down key, and then select 'accept' by pressing the volume up key.)​
    • Allow the xoom to boot up completely and go back into settings and enable USB debugging again.​
    • In the command window on your PC type; adb reboot bootloader - (if xoom does not respond, disconnect from pc and reboot manually by holding vol up + power. then reconnect after fully rebooted)​
    • Type; fastboot flash boot rootboot.img (for WiFi)​
    • OR Type; fastboot flash boot 3Grootboot.img (for 3G Verizon)​
    • Type; fastboot reboot
    • Allow the xoom to boot completely - your xoom should be in normal operating mode for the remainder of the process.​
    • In the command window on your PC type; adb remount
    • Type; adb push su /system/bin
    • Type; adb shell
    • Type; ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su (this line starts with lower case "L", like llama)​
    • Type; chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
    • Type; exit
    • Type; adb push Superuser.apk /system/app
    Thats it...your done!! Unplug the xoom and reboot. Your xoom is now stock rooted. You can now flash ClockworkMod, other kernels and roms. To verify root, download a root user app from the market and run it. You should be prompted to allow superuser permissions.​

Mac Only Procedure

You will need fastboot for mac - download HERE

• Open a terminal (located in the utilities folder)
      • Navigate to your sdk/platform-tools folder
      • Type; ./adb devices - (look for the xoom serial number to show its connected.)
      • Type; ./adb reboot bootloader
      • Type; chmod 755 fastboot
      • Type; ./fastboot oem unlock
      • Type; adb reboot bootloader
      • Type; ./fastboot flash boot rootboot.img
      • Type; ./fastboot reboot
      • Type; ./adb remount
      • Type; ./adb push su /system/bin
      • Type; ./adb shell
      • Type; chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
      • Type; exit
      • Type; ./adb push Superuser.apk /system/app
    Disconnect and reboot xoom. Download a root app and test.

If you found this helpfull press the THANKS button.​
    thanks for the easiest way (i dont have an sd card) ..

one Q; why is this boot file about only 2 mb? the original one is aprx. 8 mb.. are we missing some features by replacing the boot files? or is it completely "stock+root" only ?

It is only a boot partition with rooted stock 3.2 kernel.

Sent from my HD2
    when I type adb remount after completely boot, I've got error device not found !!! any idea??

Are you in fastboot or is your Xoom booted normally? If you are in fastboot, reboot and let the Xoom load normally.
    I tried both, enabled USB debugging.
    After the xoom load or in fastboot I get the same error! !!!

Sent from my X10i using XDA App

Are you certain you have unlocked the bootloader?

Sent from my HD2

That is usually caused by the command window not being opened or started from the same directory as adb is going to look for the files. Make sure you have all files in the correct place (i.e. tools or platform-tools folder?)