[DEVELOPERS] TWRP Touch Recovery for Epic Touch

Search This thread

buggerritt

Jan 16, 2009
Grand Rapids, MI
I really don't understand how offering TWRP and improving on recovery ever got misconceived as whining, *****ing or complaining about another method. I have never tried TWRP and would like to see how it works. I really never flash back to GB for recovery unless I go back to a GB ROM. ICS CWM never gave me any issues (knock on wood) but, if there is an alternative, I am interested giving it a shot.

sputnik767

Dec 28, 2010
There is a working CM7 for the E4GT. It's posted over at Rootzwiki. TWRP worked fantastically on my Evo and Evo 3D. Glad to see we have another option besides CWM. Hopefully we can get past the bricking issue with ICS roms and I can throw this on my phone permanently.

Thanks Dees_Troy!

TWRP 2.0 hard-bricked my original Evo and quite a few others. Even if the current E4GT ICS recovery hard-bricks are figured out and wiping and flashing through recovery is as safe as can be, I doubt that I will even install TWRP on any of my devices. I'm currently avoiding it on the Asus Transformer Prime, even though it's available. Why? Because regular CWM works perfectly fine, and trying to fix what isn't broken tends to get you into trouble. And another thing, who cares about touch recovery anyway? You probably spend no more than 5 mins there at a time, and clicking with the volume and power buttons probably takes an extra 30 seconds of your time. I see a big stink raised about lack of special recoveries and whatnot, and I just don't see what the big deal is. Let's just say that you're not going to impress a girl at a bar by showing her your brand new TWRP touch recovery.

Reactions: carhauler1969

sniper

Jan 30, 2012
San Diego
TWRP 2.0 hard-bricked my original Evo and quite a few others. Even if the current E4GT ICS recovery hard-bricks are figured out and wiping and flashing through recovery is as safe as can be, I doubt that I will even install TWRP on any of my devices. I'm currently avoiding it on the Asus Transformer Prime, even though it's available. Why? Because regular CWM works perfectly fine, and trying to fix what isn't broken tends to get you into trouble. And another thing, who cares about touch recovery anyway? You probably spend no more than 5 mins there at a time, and clicking with the volume and power buttons probably takes an extra 30 seconds of your time. I see a big stink raised about lack of special recoveries and whatnot, and I just don't see what the big deal is. Let's just say that you're not going to impress a girl at a bar by showing her your brand new TWRP touch recovery.

Wait, so you're telling me touch recovery isn't gonna get me laid?!? :eek: :mad:

sputnik767

Dec 28, 2010
Wait, so you're telling me touch recovery isn't gonna get me laid?!? :eek: :mad:

Well, yes, but the bigger point is that a recovery is nothing more than a thing hidden in the background, that you may access for 5 minutes a couple of times per week. Who cares what it looks like or how it works, as long as it works.

jamesissocool

Jan 22, 2012

If its no big deal then what are you all upset about.

As far as TWRP bricking your Evo, CWM has been bricking E4GT!

Why would people care about touch recovery? Well, if you are going to revise the way you think about recovery, why not use a touch interface since the phone has the capability and save the 30 seconds that you seem to not mind wasting.

By the way, I'm glad that nobody listened to the guy who thought the rotary dial phone was perfectly fine.

Just my two cents.

Reactions: BetatesterFaze

paranoid android85

Oct 23, 2010
san antonio, tx
Once we get nighlies, hopefully, some of us will be spending a lot of time in recovery. What's so bad about choices? One of the main reasons I have android instead of a boring iphone

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Reactions: BetatesterFaze

sputnik767

Dec 28, 2010
If its no big deal then what are you all upset about.

As far as TWRP bricking your Evo, CWM has been bricking E4GT!

Why would people care about touch recovery? Well, if you are going to revise the way you think about recovery, why not use a touch interface since the phone has the capability and save the 30 seconds that you seem to not mind wasting.

By the way, I'm glad that nobody listened to the guy who thought the rotary dial phone was perfectly fine.

Just my two cents.

Not upset, just don't get it. Look, I'm all about having a choice, and it's the main reason why I'm with Android vs iOS. But I've seen quite a few threads with people literally complaining that they don't have a touch recovery when (insert another device here) does. I'm not suggesting that one should not be developed or used, I'm merely saying that lack of one does not impede your usage of the device in any way, shape, or form. It just not an integral part to your everyday usage of the phone, so lack of a nicer recovery does not warrant complaints. Needless to say there are more pressing issues right now, like figuring out what exactly is causing the bricks and how to prevent them. It is not CWM, because CWM with GB kernels worked just fine. It is something in the ICS kernels or the eMMC firmware that's not playing well with CWM. Honestly, on my list of things that need fixing with this phone, a nicer recovery is dead last. This is probably the nicest phone I've ever used, but it does not change the fact that while the iPhone 4S is inferior on paper, it performs better. All of my friends have iphones, and I've used them extensively. That is not to say that I would ever consider iOS because I like the openness of Android and the choices that it offers, but the fact that an inferior device performs better is something that should have priority over something that's as irrelevant as a touch recovery. The E4GT has a ton of potential, and right now, I just wish that Samsung would finish up their ICS build and release the kernel source.

Last edited:

jamesissocool

Jan 22, 2012
Not upset, just don't get it. Look, I'm all about having a choice, and it's the main reason why I'm with Android vs iOS. But I've seen quite a few threads with people literally complaining that they don't have a touch recovery when (insert another device here) does. I'm not suggesting that one should not be developed or used, I'm merely saying that lack of one does not impede your usage of the device in any way, shape, or form. It just not an integral part to your everyday usage of the phone, so lack of a nicer recovery does not warrant complaints. Needless to say there are more pressing issues right now, like figuring out what exactly is causing the bricks and how to prevent them. It is not CWM, because CWM with GB kernels worked just fine. It is something in the ICS kernels or the eMMC firmware that's not playing well with CWM. Honestly, on my list of things that need fixing with this phone, a nicer recovery is dead last. This is probably the nicest phone I've ever used, but it does not change the fact that while the iPhone 4S is inferior on paper, it performs better. All of my friends have iphones, and I've used them extensively. That is not to say that I would ever consider iOS because I like the openness of Android and the choices that it offers, but the fact that an inferior device performs better is something that should have priority over something that's as irrelevant as a touch recovery.

Agreed! Not having a touch recovery is not a show-stopper for me either. And I get your point on priorities. I am just more of an optimistic-all of the above-kind of guy when it comes to improvements and upgrades.

sputnik767

Dec 28, 2010
Agreed! Not having a touch recovery is not a show-stopper for me either. And I get your point on priorities. I am just more of an optimistic-all of the above-kind of guy when it comes to improvements and upgrades.

Yea, I see your point as well. I guess I'm in a slightly different boat from most people right now, as I have the USMLE Step 1 exam in a month, so just about the only thing I have time to do with my phone is ODIN the ICS leaks every so often. I don't even both with every single leak, still using the very first 4.0.4 leak from a couple weeks ago. I really like ICS, but it can definitely be much better. If only we had the kernel source. It's too bad that there isn't really a manufacturer that puts as much effort into making sure that their device is just about perfectly optimized as Apple does. Because that manufacturer could easily unseat the iPhone market dominance as a single device.

Last edited:

jamesissocool

Jan 22, 2012
Yea, I see your point as well. I guess I'm in a slightly different boat from most people right now, as I have the USMLE Step 1 exam in a month, so just about the only thing I have time to do with my phone is ODIN the ICS leaks every so often. I don't even both with every single leak, still using the very first 4.0.4 leak from a couple weeks ago. I really like ICS, but it can definitely be much better. If only we had the kernel source. It's too bad that there isn't really a manufacturer that puts as much effort into making sure that their device is just about perfectly optimized as Apple does. Because that manufacturer could easily unseat the iPhone market dominance as a single device.

In all actually, I don't spend any time in recovery on my Touchpad. Goomanager lets me know that there is a ROM update and I tell it to backup and flash. I check on it 10 minutes later, and its all taken care of for me. TWRP with goo is actually really cool.

Dec 14, 2011
Colorado
Clockworkmod is broken if it wasn't then it would actually be a touch recovery and there wouldn't be a potential of bricking my device just because I want to be able to flash roms. Not to mention boot loops can be a big problem when a computer isn't easily accessible and if you could.just pop in the recovery zip zoo zah! Restored. But what ever haters are going to hate.

Clockworkmod <3 G1

FitChicago

Jan 19, 2011
Chicago
Ok, I admit, odining back to el26 isn't something to complain about for normal flashing. But when trying to alter system files to get the result you are looking for can become somewhat frustrating when a boot loop occurs. Normally a battery pull and a quick flash gets you back in the game. In my experience though, as I'm sure other cracks flashers can agree, sometimes you just have to flash something new, right before you step out the door. Lo and behold you realize you have just set yourself up for failure, failure to boot that is.
Happened to me this morning: woke up early at 4am (alarm is 445) and decided to flash a ROM update (accidently was on 4G not wifi when downloading); post flash kept booted to stock recovery... Had to fix it as all my music to run to is in the cloud so I finally met the PC version of Odin (pretty easy to use) and through CWM got things working and me out running by 515.

So yeah, this TWRP sounds great; a source kernel sounds even better. KB with your amazing skills and creative, helpful tweaks I'd be thrilled to use any kernel you develop. You rock.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

sputnik767

Dec 28, 2010
Clockworkmod is broken if it wasn't then it would actually be a touch recovery and there wouldn't be a potential of bricking my device just because I want to be able to flash roms. Not to mention boot loops can be a big problem when a computer isn't easily accessible and if you could.just pop in the recovery zip zoo zah! Restored. But what ever haters are going to hate.

Clockworkmod <3 G1

Two problems here:

1. There is a CWM Touch, which is nothing more than regular CWM with a touch interface AFAIK. It was available on out phones but was later pulled due to suspicions that it was causing the bricks. Does not seem to be the case though.

2. From reading the recent thread on these bricks, the consensus seems to be that the issue is with the ICS kernel and/or certain eMMC modules/firmwares not playing well with recovery when you do a data wipe. This is likely not a recovery issue (as the same phones were perfectly fine on a GB kernel/recovery), and simply using a non-CWM recovery will most likely not fix the problems. If you are looking to TWRP to fix the bricking issue, most likely you will have to wait until the issue is figured out and fixed. As far as I can tell, the kernel is the middle man between the recovery and the hardware. Until the kernel is fixed, you will not have a properly working recovery, regardless of who makes it. CWM is not broken.

My post was not against using different recoveries, rather my point was that a touch vs non-touch recovery is a minor and insignificant issue when we have bigger problems at hand.

Last edited:

CyberpodS2

Mar 27, 2012
NE Pennsylvania Boonies
Unfortunately hitman got a bad rap and even if it's not to blame I think touch recovery is gonna be an uphill battle on this phone for a while...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Dec 14, 2011
Colorado
Two problems here:

1. There is a CWM Touch, which is nothing more than regular CWM with a touch interface AFAIK. It was available on out phones but was later pulled due to suspicions that it was causing the bricks. Does not seem to be the case though.

2. From reading the recent thread on these bricks, the consensus seems to be that the issue is with the ICS kernel and/or certain eMMC modules/firmwares not playing well with recovery when you do a data wipe. This is likely not a recovery issue (as the same phones were perfectly fine on a GB kernel/recovery), and simply using a non-CWM recovery will most likely not fix the problems. If you are looking to TWRP to fix the bricking issue, most likely you will have to wait until the issue is figured out and fixed. As far as I can tell, the kernel is the middle man between the recovery and the hardware. Until the kernel is fixed, you will not have a properly working recovery, regardless of who makes it. CWM is not broken.

My post was not against using different recoveries, rather my point was that a touch vs non-touch recovery is a minor and insignificant issue when we have bigger problems at hand.

Then we agree, I only mean to promote positive forward thinking. I really just want the bricking issue resolved which it has never been up to Google to fix our recoveries as far as I know. I think maybe I'm just terrible at communicating online

Last edited:

Kebetz

Jan 4, 2012
Seattle
Yikes! I never meant to get that started! lol
Ftr, I like touch recoveries. I like RedPill and Siyah and others that I've used. And I am also an on-the-go flash-aholic. I rarely ever need to restore anything, though. That may be our biggest difference. I learned through SUPER-HARD-bricking (had nothing to do with a touch, btw) my last E4GT what is and is not safe.
I guess I'm just too busy being satisfied/grateful to worry about ways it could be better. These devs work their a***s off and for what? To see 39 pages per thread of "hey, uhhh, can I use CWM on this?' "I flashed this free firmware and did not bother reading your instructions and now my pen.15 is even smaller than before! Can CWM touch fix it?"
For my 15$ at a time donations (I'm broke, what..)???
I doubt it.
Love you guys :eek:

Dees_Troy

Senior Recognized Developer
Mar 31, 2008
KC MO
www.teamw.in
I don't know if this will help, but the ICS kernels for Samsung devices are very sketchy:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=25637375

I saw a similar situation with the AT&T Skyrocket and some users were flashing ICS-based ROMs. Fortunately the AT&T Skyrocket uses a separate recovery partition (Skyrocket is based on Qualcomm chipset) instead of having recovery in boot, but the boot image kernel still bricked devices. It's just less likely because there's usually less I/O going on in Android than in recovery.

If the ICS kernels are causing bricks in CWM recovery then they would also cause a brick with TWRP. Based on some of the evidence in the thread linked above, I would also say that it's possible to brick your Epic Touch in Android using these kernels. Doing anything that causes a lot of I/O to the emmc like a factory reset in the Android menu could result in a brick. Of course, it's your device and you can do what you want.

However, I'd prefer that people stop derailing the thread. There's little that can be done in regards to ICS without proper kernel source and no amount of discussing it is going to make the issue go away. It's possible that we could use an approach for the Epic Touch like we used with HTC Dumlock where we reflash the boot partition with a known working kernel & recovery while in Android then on the next reboot to recovery you could restore your ICS kernel setup before starting a backup, etc. Of course, I don't have an Epic Touch and I'm not an Android app developer.

Last edited:
Reactions: ghostzyden

JSnively

Mar 14, 2008
One thing I was wondering is if all of the option to Format can be removed from the recovery and just use Calkulins scripts?

I have flashed 40 times using FD02 from Rogue no issues but I always use Calkuline modified or Calkulin Full wipe zip.

So if those options are removed from the interface maybe then it would be safer that way.

just a thought.

crawrj

Nov 2, 2007
Yes somebody please make and FH13 version with TWRP. I am using it on my S3 and love it. Would like to have it on my S2 also.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since a lot of people have asked me about TWRP 2 for Epic Touch and SGS2 devices, here's the deal:

1) I don't own an Epic Touch or a SGS2 device of any kind.
    2) As some may be aware, many Samsung devices do not have and/or properly use a recovery partition. Instead the recovery is packed as a second ramdisk or as a separate recovery.rc in the same ramdisk in the boot image. This means that every time you install a new ROM or kernel, you will get stuck with whatever recovery is included with the boot image.
    3) We do have a process that lets you inject TWRP into boot images that are still using the dual ramdisk setup typically found in CM7 boot images. I believe that somewhere along the development path of CM9, the boot image packing method changed to a single ramdisk with 2 init files (recovery.rc). This type of setup is much more difficult (if not impossible) to do "injection" and since I don't have a device in hand to work with I have no plans to attempt to create an injection method for this new type of boot image. The injection process still appears to work on CM7 boot images and some kernel devs for SGS2-type devices have not moved to the new method (yet).
    4) We now have code that compiles in CM9. This new code base is much simpler to get started with - you just replace the bootable/recovery folder with the TWRP source code and grab a copy of our slightly modified 1.20 busybox code and you're ready to compile TWRP after adding a few build flags to your BoardConfig.
    5) The TWRP source code is all public, including the GUI. It's pretty easy to compile and work with and we have a nice guide to help you out here: http://tinyw.in/nP7d

If you need help integrating TWRP into your builds or have questions about compiling TWRP, feel free to find us in #twrp on Freenode. TWRP works very well with thew GooManager app and if you host your ROM on http://goo.im, your users can receive notifications of ROM updates and easily download and flash the update almost like a regular OTA update. In addition, http://goo.im now supports automatic differential zip creation. You upload an update to your ROM and goo will create a zip with just the changes. Your users get smaller downloads, faster installs, and less wear and tear on the device since only the updated / deleted files get replaced, but this functionality is only easy to use with a supported recovery like TWRP. Please consider adding TWRP to your builds and using http://goo.im and GooManager! All of this functionality is free to you and your users!

If you're feeling really adventurous, you're welcome to install this for the Epic Touch after installing a copy of CM7. I was told by a tester that it was working fine but use at your own risk and be prepared to Odin / heimdall a working boot image if something goes wrong! Note that backups and restores done in TWRP / CWM are not easily interchangable!
    http://goo.im/devs/OpenRecovery/epictouch/openrecovery-twrp-2.1.2-epic4gtouch-signed.zip

I can probably create the same kind of a zip for SGS2 International if someone is willing to stop by #twrp on Freenode to test it. I do know that someone has successfully tested a ramdisk on the SGS2 with Exynos so TWRP should work on this device with relative ease.

Also note that it appears for the time being that most Samsung devices released in the USA where all team win members live, are going to be using Qualcomm chipsets instead of Exynos. This means that the only Samsung device that's readily available in the USA that uses the new boot image methods is the Epic Touch. We have a release for the AT&T Galaxy Note and Skyrocket but both of these devices use the Qualcomm chipset which uses a "normal" and separate recovery partition.
    Why all the fuss over something that you use for 5-10 minutes when you flash a ROM, theme, etc.? How much time are you spending in Recovery?

The next thing you know people will want the "Download" mode to be themed and "prettied up" too.

Does anyone remember what it took to customize phones 4-5 years ago? Oh wait, this is XDA, I forgot it's the land of "gimme gimme gimme" and hardly ever about "thank you" or "how can I help you with that?". Users just want to be "alpha" testers so that they can have the newest, hardly do they ever upload logcats, dmesg logs, or help in troubleshooting.

-Daryel

Sure this is true of some but I get thanked all the time for the work I do. There will always be the gimmie gimmie gimmie people, no matter what your doing.
    And yeah if I could theme download mode I probably would. Just the way I am.
    I'm going to second everyone that likes twrp. I also enjoyed the recovery very much and it was the one thing I missed when moving to e4gt. I can't wait for source on ICS. If someone doesn't build it into a kernel, I'll be doing some kernel research and building it for myself. :D

Why all the fuss over something that you use for 5-10 minutes when you flash a ROM, theme, etc.? How much time are you spending in Recovery?

The next thing you know people will want the "Download" mode to be themed and "prettied up" too.

Does anyone remember what it took to customize phones 4-5 years ago? Oh wait, this is XDA, I forgot it's the land of "gimme gimme gimme" and hardly ever about "thank you" or "how can I help you with that?". Users just want to be "alpha" testers so that they can have the newest, hardly do they ever upload logcats, dmesg logs, or help in troubleshooting.

-Daryel
    Ok, I admit, odining back to el26 isn't something to complain about for normal flashing. But when trying to alter system files to get the result you are looking for can become somewhat frustrating when a boot loop occurs. Normally a battery pull and a quick flash gets you back in the game. In my experience though, as I'm sure other cracks flashers can agree, sometimes you just have to flash something new, right before you step out the door. Lo and behold you realize you have just set yourself up for failure, failure to boot that is. As I stated in another thread, a lot of folks have busy lives and don't spend every moment reading xda, all they want to do is grab what's hot and flash it with the same procedure as every other Android device that they have come to know and love. In my opinion, working recovery = happy forums. And soon enough we will, and when we do, I want to be sporting TWRP. :D