Anyone get the M8 using Edge program?

Search This thread

Zarboz

Known Scammer
Mar 5, 2009
Denver
They wouldn't let me edge up due to my account spending limit even tho I paid off half my m7 verizon is screwing me constantly lately

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

jlczl

Oct 22, 2005
I had two lines of service with them that totaled $105 per month. One of them had an ETF of $270 and the other an ETF of $310 for a total of $580. I added two lines to take advantage of the BOGO. My total cost for 2 new HTC Ones was $216 including tax plus I got an LG Gpad 8.3 LTE for $54 including tax for a total of $270. My monthly service charges are $105 (same as my first 2 lines). I sold one of my new HTC Ones for $590 on swappa and cancelled the first 2 lines and paying the ETFs with the money I got from that sale. In my next billing cycle I'll be getting a $200 bill credit for having opened up 2 new lines so that credit offsets my initial cost of the 2 new Ones. Additionally when I installed the Isis app I got $40 deposited into that account by Verizon which practically covers the cost of my new tablet.

In short I got a new HTC One and a new LG Gpad 8.3 LTE for a total of $25. Only difference is I have new phone numbers but I don't really care because I use Google Voice anyway.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

Moral of the story is that Edge was not a good option for me but there is so many variables it may be for some.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Dec 26, 2010
Anyone on the edge program, do you have an employer discount parallel to the credit? I'm wondering if this will be possible.

I'm currently getting 22% employee discount on the data plan only. So for the 6gb share ($80) I get about $19 off. I'm just wondering if they will do the $25 credit with the discount...

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

myn

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 15, 2007
I just migrated to Edge to on the m8 too. Like the others have stated with the 10GB shared data plan it actually is $0.01 cheaper a month for my line.

I wonder if we are allowed to unlock our bootloaders (S-OFF) under edge?

jrcbandit

Jun 6, 2010
Why wouldn't employee discount apply with the Edge program? It is completely separate. On my account, I have a family share plan with 25% off on 10 GB of data so that goes down from $100 to $75. One of the 3 phones is on the Edge plan and will get the $25 off for that phone ($40-25 + $24.99 for the cost of phone monthly).

I just migrated to Edge to on the m8 too. Like the others have stated with the 10GB shared data plan it actually is $0.01 cheaper a month for my line.

Of course you aren't officially allowed, but there is no reason not to. With S-Off you can easily remove any tampering notifications and put it back to S-On before turning it in.

Last edited:
Reactions: myn

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well I guess I mean locked down for upgrades, (where I live Verizon is the only carrier that gets great service so in my eyes I will always be with them) but it's nice to be able to upgrade when you want

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    Can someone please explain the subsidies and how you pay for that along with the phone cost? Would be much appreciated as I am very confused...

Basically when you sign a two year contract, they give you a subsidized price on a device, a discount if you will for signing a two year contract. With Verizon you can only get a subsidized price on a device every two years. Every two years they offer you an "upgrade" to renew your contract and you get a device again at the subsidized price.
    Now the reason people pay full retail for a device is because they aren't eligible for an upgrade/contract renewal and have no other way to get it aside from just paying the full retail price of the device and not the subsidized price.
    Then there's the people who still have unlimited data. Verizon quit doing unlimited data over a year ago. They offered tons of people "early upgrades" in exchange for dropping their unlimited data plan. So alot of the people who still have unlimited data are eligible for upgrading their two year contract and getting a new device, but don't do it as it would mean losing the unlimited data plan that they will never get again. So instead of renewing their contract, they just pay full retail for the device and don't have to.
    Then there is Verizon Edge. Which really when it comes down to it is a total rip-off. But it does allow for people to upgrade their devices sooner.
    Basically the way it works is almost like a car lease. The price of the device (full retail) is broken down into 24 payments. So for example the HTC One M8 is 599$ You could go in to a Verizon store pay 25$ down, with 25$ extra a month on your plan, trade in your old device, and take home a new device. Then after thirty days if you pay at least half the total cost of the device you can edge up again. It's kinda cool, but its total rape, because they are getting your two years of patronage at the normal plan rates AND your paying for retail for the device AND you are trading in your old device which they are just gonna sell as a CLNR device. The one saving grace is that you can get a new device as often as you like pretty much.
    Hope that answers your questions.
    When the two years are up of the $25 off the access line (10gb or more gets $25off; 8gb and under gets $10 off) does your plan jump up back to the normal pricing?

Also, they mention a phone in working order has to be turned in. Can it be any phone? I have some old basic phones that have been collecting dust in my desk drawer.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure about the discount, stands to reason it would cease with the completion of your Edge agreement.

I was made to understand that the phone you started with is the phone they take back, since I didn't have mine, they didn't ask me for anything back.

Your results may vary. I think I just got really lucky.:cool:
    Started with as in your first Verizon phone?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
    As in the phone that you started your calling plan contract with. I was still on a 2 yr. Like if you went in a year ago and signed up, That phone.
    Why wouldn't employee discount apply with the Edge program? It is completely separate. On my account, I have a family share plan with 25% off on 10 GB of data so that goes down from $100 to $75. One of the 3 phones is on the Edge plan and will get the $25 off for that phone ($40-25 + $24.99 for the cost of phone monthly).

Of course you aren't officially allowed, but there is no reason not to. With S-Off you can easily remove any tampering notifications and put it back to S-On before turning it in.