Verizon Ending Unlimited Data when you try to Renew Grandfathered Data Plan

Search This thread

disconnecktie

Oct 23, 2011
Sprint doesn't have 4g in my area so that's out of the question. Plus they cost more than verizon don't they.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

donnyp1

May 7, 2008
Wichita
Sprints not an option. Their rural service is almost zero. I rely on coverage everywhere more than 4g and unlimited data. When my agents ride with me out in rural areas, tmobile, sprint, and att are almost completely dead.

Sent from my HTC Mecha using XDA

Reactions: disconnecktie

disconnecktie

Oct 23, 2011
I work in a lot of rural areas too and I get good reception in almost every location. People with sprint and at&t get nothing. Verizon pretty much cornered the 4g market where I live because they cover a very broad area. Even some low population towns (around 2000 people) get 4g.

dtoye

Feb 3, 2009
Tampa
So coming from a Verizon Rep 2 sure ways to stay under unlimited data is to upgrade before your contract ends or buy a phone at full retail price other than that bye bye unlimited data

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using xda premium

Last edited:

Lyondellic

Dec 30, 2009
Houston, Texas
I called Verizon yesterday afternoon and asked if I could receive an early upgrade. I was honest and explained that if I waited until January to upgrade my device that it would entail me having to pay full price in order to keep unlimited data. The first representative told me that she could not offer an early upgrade, but connected me to her supervisor when I asked her to do so. The supervisor was sympathetic to my situation, but stated that she could not offer me an upgrade either because the tiered data plans had not been officially rolled out yet. She also told me that she had placed a note on my account, which supposedly will make it easier to receive an early upgrade when the tiered data plans become official.

One option is to pay full price for a new phone, or continue to use my Thunderbolt until my contract ends in June 2013. Another option may be to end my contract early by claiming a Material Adverse Change. I guess that the April 22 fee of $30 to upgrade devices could be used to allow early termination of my contract without penalty as well (until 6/20/12). I would give up unlimited data by doing so, but Simple Mobile has 4G coverage in my area under their $60/month unlimited everything plan. This may be a decent option, but I do not know much about the quality of their network.

brandogg

Jul 27, 2008
Simple Mobile is a prepaid T-Mobile reseller. Their coverage is more or less the same as T-Mobile prepaid. If you live in a spot where they have *very* good coverage, you'll be fine, but T-mobile in general is pretty terrible. You often have to stand next to a window to be able to use your phone (they will even tell you this if you complain about reception), and you can literally go from 4 bars to no service just by walking 5 feet in a certain direction. I am a Simple Mobile dealer, and their "unlimited" plan is *not* unlimited. They will say it's "unlimited but not unreasonable" which basically means once you hit 2GB, they shut you off.

If you are considering Simple Mobile, you'd be much better off paying another $10 for T-mobile's plan where you get 5GB at 4G (HSPA+), and after that they just cut you down to 2G (EDGE).

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

don't know if this was mentioned, but sprint got LTE... and they still have unlimited and more 4G coverage so it looks like I'll be switching to them this December.

Edit, ok just realized they need to build separate LTE towers so less coverage and not in my city :(

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

Ummmm... Sprint is CDMA... Your 4G is GSM. SIM card = GSM.

Wrong. SIM card on Verizon =/= GSM. It is LTE, which is an evolution is GSM technology, but it not GSM. Verizon is CDMA as well...

disconnecktie

Oct 23, 2011
I wouldn't switch to sprint at all. They are having to slow the spread of their 4GLTE coverage because of the deal they made with Apple to get the iphone which cost them 1.8 billion.

geoff5093

Jun 13, 2011
Unfortunately even though we don't want to stay with Verizon for what they are doing, most major and some regional carriers are already doing this, so it's nothing new. It's too bad Verizon has the best coverage around here, and with my discount is actually cheaper then AT&T and US Cellular.

teddyastuffed

Aug 16, 2010
Laguna Hills, CA
Unfortunately even though we don't want to stay with Verizon for what they are doing, most major and some regional carriers are already doing this, so it's nothing new. It's too bad Verizon has the best coverage around here, and with my discount is actually cheaper then AT&T and US Cellular.

Ya Verizon is the best for me too, when all other carriers get little to no service at my home or work (I live and work in the hilly area near the coast lol). But honestly, I don't blame them. It's business that they r losing money in currently when they could b gaining a lot more money instead. Because I'm sure their sales trend analysts will predict for how many people will leave, there will be that many more opting for the higher GB plans and new contract customers. I'm honestly surprised they r even allowing the unlimited to continue only if u buy full retail cost phones. But again, maybe they see more money coming in by doing it that way. I'm sure after the first year or two of doing it that way, they will cut everyone off from unlimited all together. Not saying I like it, but I fully understand it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using xda premium

mmarcz

Nov 22, 2006
For everyone cutting bait at the idea of paying full price for a phone to keep unlimited.

Starting 5/31, Virgin Mobile is rolling out their new plans and phone. Base $35/month for unlimited 4G data, messaging, and 350minutes. Replacing their $25 plan. They are going to bump up their $25/month users to move up if they purchase a new phone. The phone is an EVO with ICS. No word on phone cost.

Just remember VM is a sprint MVNO.

The grass isn't always greener, the dog just hasn't peed on it yet.

I'm sticking with Verizon (former longtime sprint customer)

mmarcz

mobitote

Apr 2, 2011
VZW are bastards.... If they are going to do that then then they oughta let us opt out of the data plan.

reddtessa

Apr 19, 2012
Washington DC
www.reddtessa.com
For everyone cutting bait at the idea of paying full price for a phone to keep unlimited.

Starting 5/31, Virgin Mobile is rolling out their new plans and phone. Base $35/month for unlimited 4G data, messaging, and 350minutes. Replacing their $25 plan. They are going to bump up their $25/month users to move up if they purchase a new phone. The phone is an EVO with ICS. No word on phone cost.

Just remember VM is a sprint MVNO.

The grass isn't always greener, the dog just hasn't peed on it yet.

I'm sticking with Verizon (former longtime sprint customer)

mmarcz
I have my teen on VM and it is not true unlimited...after 2g of usage they slow his connection to nothing, that started about 4 months ago, hes crying about it all the time and only uses his phone for youtube and texting, thankfully he's on the $25 plan. He manages it, but drives me nuts with complaining about it.

I've been with Verizon since my husband got on with DOD in 2004 as they gave him a phone so I took over his account and was a move from Nextel. I am interested to see what DOD will do with this change though as they are with Verizon.

I hate the thought of having to purchase a phone out right once my upgrade comes around in Nov 2013 but I am one of the ones that use just a tade over 2g/mon but that is if my home internet goes down, or if I am traveling, some months lucky to use 1g so I won't nor can complain. I love Verizon's service well minus the fios part of it as they are complete idiots on getting our home phone/tv/internet to stay online, but I am sure soon enough Sprint will even be following this same direction within a year or 2.

But it would be nice if they would give us little guys that use just a bit a break hehe.

donnyp1

May 7, 2008
Wichita
On most forums that ive read, the people complaining the most are the heavy abusers. If thats the main issue, then good for verizon. I to can afford full price, do im not sweatin it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA

TheBeardedMann

Jun 2, 2010
Some people have kinda/sorta mentioned the real problem that lies ahead. Netflix and now DirecTV Everywhere, HBO Go, etc. Those things are becoming more popular and that drains the data pool the fastest. And Netflix HD will become a standard on phones which will suck that data down even faster than before. For those that are on the cusp of 2GB, your next 4G phone with an HD display and HD video apps, you'll see that 2GB climb up quicker. HD is going to be the straw that breaks the 2GB Plan's back. That's my thought.

mmarcz

Nov 22, 2006
And you're 100% correct.

In my opinion, paying full price for a brand new phone is worth keeping unlimited.

Or do this, just wait 5-6 months after a phones comes out, you'll get it at a cheaper price on flebay, CL, or cowboom.

Bottom line is, if you're a penny pincher, VZ is not the carrier for you.

scshadow

Nov 25, 2010
Here's a thought , If you have more then one line and the person has an upgrade couldn't you use that persons upgrade and still keep unlimited? When your upgrade is up I believe you can transfer upgrades to the other person so you keep unlimited along with a new phone, wonder if that would work

Sent from my HTC Mecha using Tapatalk 2

mad96

Dec 5, 2010
And you're 100% correct.

In my opinion, paying full price for a brand new phone is worth keeping unlimited.

Or do this, just wait 5-6 months after a phones comes out, you'll get it at a cheaper price on flebay, CL, or cowboom.

Bottom line is, if you're a penny pincher, VZ is not the carrier for you.

+1

Tess89

Dec 5, 2010
So glad I opted for the one-year contract last March. At the time I was afraid Verizon would drop unlimited before my contract ended. But as it turns out the timing couldn't have been better. Gotta say it's nice to have more options to work with. Might take a look at the Razr Maxx.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I can't believe people still fall for that "data hog" crap. Price increases / loss of unlimited data plans are all about carrier greed, nothing more.

I'm a firm believer of the term "oh well". Most are not going to jump ship because the cell service is phenomenal. And those that do switch Congrats to your ballsy-ness. I am going to pay more, upgrade for a cheaper price, and get switched to a tiered data plan. Oh well. We're in this thing called life, and it sucks. But deal with it. Will I switch to sprint and attempt to download something at 1kb per second, no. Will I switch to T-Mobile and have to stand outside of my house to make a call? No. Will I go to att and deal with the same **** as vzw for less service? No. So vzw aligned fees and plans with other providers. Oh Well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Most of us will be paying a lot more because of the users who feel it necessary to tether multiple devices, use it as their home or work network, and use 20+ gb's a month for one phone. Sucks that we are all getting screwed because some cannot be honest and pay for the hotspot that they should be paying for.

Sent from my ADR6400L using xda premium
    Ok I wish everyone would just stop blaming the <2% of users for Verizon changing their plans. I am unlimited user but only use about 2 GBs of data a month, I am on WiFi at home by choice its just as fast as 4G but I get better battery life, I work in a hospital so WiFi is only way to go at work due to poor signal. There is a very small percent of people who use over 10 GBs of data yet have unlimited data. I would consider if you have unlimited and use under 10 GBs you are a very light user. Now for the people who use over 10 GBs even if they use up to 150 GBs who cares????? You pay for unlimited right? How would you like Verizon to call you and say you had 10,000 text this month we are taking your unlimited text away, or you are using to much unlimited mobile to mobile minutes. They want to attach unlimited to the front of a word and not expect a small percent of users to not test out unlimited like a fat person would an all u can eat buffet. Now grow up and just deal with the change in plans, I plan to buy my phones from Google play store at end of year new nexus devices, can't wait to see them. I won't give up my unlimited data anytime soon.
    Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA
    If Verizon didn't want me using 25+ GB a month, they shouldn't have sold me a phone that I can connect up to 8 devices to and an unlimited tethering package to go with it. Nashville is like Apple fan-boi central anyway. Everywhere you look, you see iPhones. I pretty much have the LTE network here to myself.

As far as keeping this, I'm perfectly alright with paying full price for a phone from here on out.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
    Sprints not an option. Their rural service is almost zero. I rely on coverage everywhere more than 4g and unlimited data. When my agents ride with me out in rural areas, tmobile, sprint, and att are almost completely dead.

Sent from my HTC Mecha using XDA