FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Google appeal denied, Google to implement patch to Google Now to cut functionality

2,417 posts
Thanks Meter: 604

By Jayrod1980, Senior Member on 4th July 2012, 08:06 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
So if you cruise over to phandroid you will find this article that states that Google lost their appeal to lift the ban on the sale of the Galaxy Nexus due to Google Now infringement on Apple patents. Notably, the patent on voice search for phone applications a la Siri. The article states Google will be rolling out an update that will limit Google Now voice searches to web related content only. What a farce! Since this is a core Jellybean feature, I'm speculating that this will affect the Nexus 7 as well.

Will these patent infringement tactics from Apple ever end?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jayrod1980 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Jayrod1980 Ad-Free

4th July 2012, 08:18 AM |#2  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 8,874

Donate to Me
More
Link please?
4th July 2012, 08:31 AM |#4  
Flag Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 338

Donate to Me
More
Confused, didn't Apple file this suit before Jelly Bean was even announced? How can it block google Now? Are you sure?

---------- Post added at 02:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Censura_Umbra

Confused, didn't Apple file this suit before Jelly Bean was even announced? How can it block google Now? Are you sure?

Oh, but it only prevents Google now from pulling from contacts and apps. So apparently, you won't be able to say Call Suzy. Or text Mary. Or play music.

Hopefully will still be able to say Open Phone

And the cards are still there (for weather sports traffic etc)

And you know Devs will bring the functionality back so no worries ( I already have the full Google now sans voice search and it is pretty neat.
4th July 2012, 08:31 AM |#5  
Flag So Cal, California
Thanks Meter: 379

More
lol

um

Much of the infringement spat has related to Android's use of a unified search interface, but according to Google the standout feature of Android 4.1 — Google Now — will be safe when 4.1 arrives for the general public. "This just relates to the Galaxy Nexus," the spokesperson told us, "and not a product on the Galaxy Nexus."
The Following User Says Thank You to expertzero1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift expertzero1 Ad-Free
4th July 2012, 08:32 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 47

More
Well it was actually Apple and Samsung in the lawsuit and its not banned yet Apple still has to pay close 100 million dollars for damages that Samsung might face for lost sales if Apple actually loses the case. There is no ruling that the Galaxy Nexus does violate Apples Patents just that it might and Apple wants the sales stopped until a ruling has been made. The Patch is Googles oh $#!7 button just in case it does get banned, to prevent loss of sales during the no doubt long and drawn out court process to come if Apple does Dish out the money.

I feel like Apple will back down and not dish out the 100 million though, because if the push that button its only a matter of time before one of these companies pulls a patent of there own that can get the iProduct line banned too. The US software patent system is pretty messed up right now.
4th July 2012, 08:43 AM |#7  
Flag New York City
Thanks Meter: 92

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cel1084

I feel like Apple will back down and not dish out the 100 million though, because if the push that button its only a matter of time before one of these companies pulls a patent of there own that can get the iProduct line banned too. The US software patent system is pretty messed up right now.

Apple has already paid the 95 million dollars for the bond. The injuction is officially in effect. http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/3/313...n-denied-Apple

If you go to the google play store, you can no longer order the Galaxy Nexus, atleast until further notice.
4th July 2012, 08:53 AM |#8  
Flag San Francisco
Thanks Meter: 127

More
F me. I just ordered two nexus 7s and was planning on ordering a gnex tomorrow. Hope this doesn't affect the local search as android had that before with the vlingo powered search aka svoice for siii even....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium
4th July 2012, 10:04 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 47

More
This Patented VS Opensource Software is a real mess. The problem is the Nature of Opensource make it hard to log exact dates and who owns the rights, and the patent office is sure as hell not going to check all the opensource software before issuing a patent.

Hell Even the GNU guy thinks the Linux guy stole his stuff and didn't give him credit, or rather that programmers unknowingly integrated the two. Though He just seem more upset he didn't create working kernel first and isn't getting the credit he's due.

Anyway this brings up a question, how is Opensource software log and dated in case a company like Apple does file a penitent for something that is previously opensource, and how does one prove it pre-existed the patent?

And check out this video from 1994
4th July 2012, 10:09 AM |#10  
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 26

More
F*** apple. Why can't they just use their money to create better products instead of suing everybody else? Just my two cents...

Sent from my Incredible S using xda app-developers app
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kattara For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kattara Ad-Free
4th July 2012, 10:27 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 70

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattara

F*** apple. Why can't they just use their money to create better products instead of suing everybody else? Just my two cents...

Sent from my Incredible S using xda app-developers app

$95+ million for some hurt feelings. Society is disgusting. Apple is a money making and wasting cult. This country is broke and these guys are feuding over patents. Unbelievable.

Sent from my SGH-T959
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to suchavibrantthang For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift suchavibrantthang Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)