City Caller ID (free old app - same as payware CityID)

Search This thread

LiNxGT

Aug 16, 2010
Just installed this on CM6.0.1. Tested by calling from my work phone and it works great. Wish there were more location placement options to be able to move it up to the middle of the screen under the caller info, but bottom - low I believe it is works good for placing it under the slider.

PeanyTech

Aug 29, 2010
Chicago
I'm sorry if this is OT, but does anyone know why we don't have proper Caller ID (i.e., you see the phone number + the name of the person that owns the number). I know it would be pointless for the most part, I just never understood that restriction.

Proper Caller ID is number only. Number + name is special. All cell phones would need to support number + name in order for it to work like it does for landline phones. Since all cell phones now have address books, this is useless.

Well sometimes the number is actually a "name" like unknown number or private number or something like that. That is CallerID number + privacy flags.

smtom

Aug 26, 2010
Thanking You

Installed, and got it placed correctly after reading folks' input in this thread - thanks for the goodness, and guidance!

2.x radio, mostly stock sense ROM, FroYo, Droid 2 Multi-Touch Keyboard, UnrEVOked - Forever, S-Off, wi-fi tether, wireless adb, Hydra OC/UV #1

luvit

Anyone able to get this working on Froyo?
works on my Dinc Froyo. -- i have root, but that shouldn't matter.

perhaps.. when you have an incoming call, look really low on the phone for tiny white text... it prints over the Accespt/Decline buttons. i almost overlooked it.

if this is the case, see post #9 of this thread.
hope this helps.

Last edited:

jdsingle

Aug 23, 2010
I can't confirm this yet, but, I used titanium backup to make a backup of the City ID and it keeps showing my subscription for the trial ending in fifteen days. Not sure if I can just uninstall and reinstall and keep the trial

PhillyCheez

Sep 16, 2010
Oregon
I can't confirm this yet, but, I used titanium backup to make a backup of the City ID and it keeps showing my subscription for the trial ending in fifteen days. Not sure if I can just uninstall and reinstall and keep the trial

I don't have it anymore, but before root all i did was go into "Manage Applications" and clear data.... the trial started over. worked every time.

NilsP

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 31, 2009
Near Albany NY
Samsung Galaxy S21
Being sort of a perfectionist I modded this app so the city ID would be directly below the phone number on the HTC incoming call lock screen.

This will work on stock froyo and Uncommon Sense for sure and probably most others. Install like any other app. If you already have the version from the first post and this fails to install, remove the original and try again.

Select "bottom high" for placement in the settings and then experiment with the fonts until you like it.

Attachments

• android.callerid-Modified.apk
    754.2 KB · Views: 466

ColePatrol

Aug 7, 2010
Being sort of a perfectionist I modded this app so the city ID would be directly below the phone number on the HTC incoming call lock screen.

This will work on stock froyo and Uncommon Sense for sure and probably most others. Install like any other app. If you already have the version from the first post and this fails to install, remove the original and try again.

Select "bottom high" for placement in the settings and then experiment with the fonts until you like it.

Trying now. If this is positioned properly your the bomb!

Anyway to position right under the number for the incoming call screen?

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA App

Last edited:

NilsP

Jul 31, 2009
Near Albany NY
Samsung Galaxy S21
Trying now. If this is positioned properly your the bomb!

Anyway to position right under the number for the incoming call screen?

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA App

I will have to look closer at that. There only appears to be one setting that is used on both the lock screen and the unlocked incoming screen and I aligned it with the lockscreen. Maybe there is a compromise.

ColePatrol

Aug 7, 2010
I will have to look closer at that. There only appears to be one setting that is used on both the lock screen and the unlocked incoming screen and I aligned it with the lockscreen. Maybe there is a compromise.

If you could take a look that would be awesome considering I do not use the lock screen. Or I can try and take a look...what program are you using to view the XML files?

NilsP

Jul 31, 2009
Near Albany NY
Samsung Galaxy S21
If you could take a look that would be awesome considering I do not use the lock screen. Or I can try and take a look...what program are you using to view the XML files?

How far down is the id in the call screen when you use the default high bottom from the original apk?

I de-compile the apk and then use notepad to view the xml.

This is the package I created that de-compiles and re-compiles and signs the apk

I think I put the instructions are inside the zip file

http://www.4shared.com/file/GQAV7jTz/ModifyAPK_Packages.html

Last edited:

ColePatrol

Aug 7, 2010
How far down is the id in the call screen when you use the default high bottom from the original apk?

I de-compile the apk and then use notepad to view the xml.

This is the package I created that de-compiles and re-compiles and signs the apk

I think I put the instructions are inside the zip file

It hovers over the mute and speaker buttons.

Small text with bottom high settings.

Was there suppose to be an attached file?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I rooted and uninstalled CityID. Between the force nag and then the ridiculous monthly price I got rid of it. But I kinda liked the feature so I found an old thread about City Caller ID which was a one man app which was sued by a large company to make $2.99 month from CityID.

It works great and its free!
    @ColePatrol

Try this version with bottom high. I think it is a reasonable compromise

On the lock screen the city is above the phone number.

On the unlocked call screen the city is where it should be just below the phone number