New phone, weird screen

Search This thread

G-Bus

Jan 13, 2011
Montreal
Hey guys,

I just received a replacement phone from Bell, so now I happen to have two Galaxy S running in front of me. My old phone, for some random reason doesn't have the same colors as my new one.

The old phone, displays white really nicely, whereas the new one, it's more "beige-ish"... Overall the screen colors of the new phone are "warmer" and the old one has more realistic colors. Darker blacks and whites that are really bright.

I don't get it... Is the new phone defective?! Does it need break-in?

Thanks

R

rajesh26e4u

Same Problem

Dude I got my old bricked phone replaced around a week ago and this new one's screen, like you said, has beige-ish or yellowish coloring whenever I put the brightness down below 20%. My old one was perfect, it showed the whites perfectly. What are you planning on doing? I think im going to take it in to the store. Did you find out the reason for it or take it in yourself to the store?

#1RAGE

Aug 29, 2010
You guys should post the manufacture dates for your old and new phones. I got a new 9000M after my internal SD died but I never had both phones at the same time. As far as I can tell my new phone's display is just as good (maybe slightly better) than the old one. They were both 10.08 dates.

From what I have heard, a new AMOLED should be slightly blueish because the blue sub-pixels get weaker before the others.

R

rajesh26e4u

My old one is 10.08 and the new one is 10.11. Old one's screen was perfect..but i dont know whats wrong with this one..its just yellow when the brightness setting is low..

Radukk

Jul 25, 2010
Same here, bought my mother's captivate(not from replacement) and its screen seemed yellowish and darker than mine. However touch button backlight is much brighter than mine.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

crypta

Sorry I have to say this, but it is absolutely normal. Had 2 sgs back in june. One ABSOLUTELY white and great screen (but also a dead pixel)and the other more as described here. Also the warm color is best be seen in an angel of normal use. Annoying, but you get used to it.

sent from my cobra mk3 by a thargoid pigeon

R

rajesh26e4u

Sorry I have to say this, but it is absolutely normal. Had 2 sgs back in june. One ABSOLUTELY white and great screen (but also a dead pixel)and the other more as described here. Also the warm color is best be seen in an angel of normal use. Annoying, but you get used to it.

So Crypta, will this be looked upon as a defect. Could I possibly take it back to Bell store for a replacement. I cannot get used to this..its pretty bad, the yellow coloring i mean.

Kewjoe

Sep 2, 2010
I think the speedmod kernel has colour adjustments made. Check it out in the Dev forum

Sent from my GT-I9000m

R

rajesh26e4u

Kewjoe, could you plz tell me the step by step process of getting my phone to your phone's level. I mean Darky's rom..speed mod etc. Our phones (bell i9000) are extremely fragile and you know that. I wanted to get darky's on it but i dint want to brick it. Also, if i do mod darky's but somehow or another my phone needs repair and I need to take it back to bell, would I be able to bring my phone back to bone stock (bell jl2) conditon? If yes, how is it done? Thank you

crypta

Can't say if it is rated as flaw. Kept mine, as it is only a great difference in comparison. Saw 4 sgs screens - all different from blueish to pretty warm. There seem to be a great variation within production range.

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
This is normal in the process of screen, that does not come from the same production line.

R

rajesh26e4u

Took mine in to bell store couple of days back and they shipped it for repair/replacement. They compared my screen to the phone on display in store and even they said mine was really washed out. I also had a loose battery problem so they mentioned that on the repair sheet as well. Hopefully I get it(or a replacement) back soon. They said 10 days..I'll let you know once I get it back.

Yea its still S-Amoled but it was just yellowy so I had to take it back. I dont think they would change it to slcd..lets see.

Chk this out, I think it could be software problem but I flashed many roms and it hasn't seemed to bring it back to normal so I sent it in.

http://phandroid.com/2011/02/25/rep...ter-android-2-3-3-gingerbread-update-surface/

Have you tried to Galaxy Tuner? It's available in the market, you can change the color settings with it.

I Swyped this on my Galaxy S

xenitu

Dec 16, 2010
Adana
Different manufacturing batches ==>Different products. It may happen. But if there is too much difference in colors as you said it is a manufacturing defect.