Browsing. Why can't it be smooth?

Search This thread

clouds5

Feb 8, 2011
So i have a top of the line tablet with octacore, 3gb of ram and the latest KitKat 4.4.2, I don't use energy saving either. And no matter what browser I use the experience is never satisfactory.

Chrome is pretty good but it has 0 functionality. We use our fingers not a mouse! And still laggy in certain situations (same goes for Samsung stock browser).
UC browser HD is very good too in terms of scrolling, but when you're typing text is lagging behind and switching and creating tabs stutters horribly.
And Firefox, the mother of lag. When you scroll down a page really fast it takes the browser up to 5 seconds to render the damn page! While you are already looking at it. Try it out for yourself, you scroll then you only get a gray page, then everything plops in very blurry and then after another few seconds stuff gets rendered and is finally sharp.
I know that every browser has this issue to some extent. But most render much faster than firefox so it doesn't appear as an issue. Anyway can't android keep a Web page in memory completely? I have 3gb of it!

Or maybe I'm doing it wrong or you guys can suggest me a different browser with good usability and smoothness? Thx in advance :)

Lympe

Sep 21, 2011
Unfortunately it's not smooth and it seems that it will never be. Only next browser seems to be little better from others.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

frajobs

Apr 22, 2013
Maybe you should try Dolphin Browser, imo its quite smooth and not laggy...

Gesendet von meinem SM-P600 mit Tapatalk

Freakstyler

Apr 21, 2014
Boat Browser and Habit Browser both are smooth and offer a lot if functionality.

Sent from my SM-P600

clouds5

Feb 8, 2011
Boat Browser and Habit Browser both are smooth and offer a lot if functionality.

Sent from my SM-P600

Then maybe we just have different perceptions :) boat browser is not smooth at all on my tablet... Maybe I have to do a video or something because boat browser is one of the most laggy browsers I've tried :/ not as bad as firefox but pretty annoying.

Last edited:

thomlh

Nov 14, 2013
nearly all browsers are laggy, there is so much ad crap loaded these days.

Once the page has loaded mine is smooth, so depends on you internet speed I guess.

My Ipad is the same.

chanhny

Nov 19, 2009
Many ram doesn't mean will smooth. Because it use power of GPU and app can be use it and resoluiton.
Opera i see very smooth. Chrome and fire fox lag like hell.

Freakstyler

Apr 21, 2014
Then maybe we just have different perceptions :) boat browser is not smooth at all on my tablet... Maybe I have to do a video or something because boat browser is one of the most laggy browsers I've tried :/ not as bad as firefox but pretty annoying.

We must... I've tried just about every browser on my P600.... Boat is about as fast as they come... ( I have recently started to use Habit a little more due to lower CPU use, and a few nice features).

Boat both Tablet and Phone versions have been used daily for 6months, it simply doesn't lag... I can pinch to zoom, pan, scroll all completely with ease and without any lag, stutter or hiccup. Even browsers like Opera were too slow for me, I could see the text blur for a second before becoming sharp when zooming, panning or scrolling quickly. I don't have any such issues with Boat. Others like Chrome and Firefox just aren't even close.

I have of course optimized my tablet in numerous ways (without root) such as developer option animations, and Nova launcher etc.

Feel free to try other browsers mentioned here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2516754

If you are receiving lag on boat, you are doing something wrong or you have a problem with your tablet... :)

Last edited:

clouds5

Feb 8, 2011
Thx for your lengthy post. I'd like to believe then, that I have different settings or something... I tried to make a video and compare boat browser and UC HD (which is smooth but has other issues).
I used n4g.com and Watson.ch both are big pages with lots of images. It's not that apparent in the video though because it's not 60fps (duh) but I think you can see the difference :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMsG3DVLW_g

hpblze

Nov 17, 2010
Oh well ..

On an IPAD , you cant really scroll completely like you can in Android ...
On Android the faster you move your finger the sooner it reaches the bottom of the page .. But on IPAD it only scrolls to an extent , hiding the fact that its still loading the rest of the webpage in the background . IOS is really good at hiding a lot of other things too and I actually like that and dont mind that since the experience is nice .. The only reason why I dont like IOS is because of a lack of a file browser , no usb pen drive connectivity , expandable storage , and itunes for doing anything and very little customization ..
The UI on an IPAD is really smooth and thats how its been ... plus ios talks in low level language ( Objective - C ) to the hardware directly where as Android has a middle man ( JAVA ) in between itself and the hardware

I have a surface pro .. and thats really really smooth for anything but its too heavy ..

So I have realized there is no happy place yet

Ideally I would wish there will be an os that has Flexibility of Android , Smoothness and optimization like IOS and Power of The Surface pro .. with Accurate Stylus support .... Oh well I can only dream .. but its funny that such technology still does not exist in 2014 .

clouds5

Feb 8, 2011
No happy place :crying: wurde

:laugh:

We have some amazing browsers out there... It would just be nice if they were a bit smoother overall. And somehow it feels like it's simple a matter of better code and not hardware limitations... That's what's bugging me!

Freakstyler

Apr 21, 2014
Thx for your lengthy post. I'd like to believe then, that I have different settings or something... I tried to make a video and compare boat browser and UC HD (which is smooth but has other issues).
I used n4g.com and Watson.ch both are big pages with lots of images. It's not that apparent in the video though because it's not 60fps (duh) but I think you can see the difference :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMsG3DVLW_g

No problems... I can see the differences in your video, I'm not sure it's a huge difference but I can notice it.

Can you try the Mobile version of Boat instead of the Tablet version, for some reason I mainly stuck with the Phone version, although I have both loaded. I will try and also post a video at some stage of the varying browsers on mine to also show the difference, but it may take a few days...

Also UC browser (which has a reputation for being one of the fastest) seems to work fairly well on your video. What were/are your other issues, perhaps it's easier to address those issues than trying to get the other browsers working as fast for you.

marxses

Apr 3, 2013
So i have a top of the line tablet with octacore, 3gb of ram and the latest KitKat 4.4.2, I don't use energy saving either. And no matter what browser I use the experience is never satisfactory.

Chrome is pretty good but it has 0 functionality. We use our fingers not a mouse! And still laggy in certain situations (same goes for Samsung stock browser).
UC browser HD is very good too in terms of scrolling, but when you're typing text is lagging behind and switching and creating tabs stutters horribly.
And Firefox, the mother of lag. When you scroll down a page really fast it takes the browser up to 5 seconds to render the damn page! While you are already looking at it. Try it out for yourself, you scroll then you only get a gray page, then everything plops in very blurry and then after another few seconds stuff gets rendered and is finally sharp.
I know that every browser has this issue to some extent. But most render much faster than firefox so it doesn't appear as an issue. Anyway can't android keep a Web page in memory completely? I have 3gb of it!

Or maybe I'm doing it wrong or you guys can suggest me a different browser with good usability and smoothness? Thx in advance :)

Do you use developer options?

Boat browser was stuttering for me a lot also. Seeing this thread reminded me of the force GPU rendering option which I had checked.

I just unchecked it and it seems to be making a difference

Edit: Disregard that, doesn't make any difference.

Last edited:

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
To me that does seem a tad bit on the slow side. Not so much the page loading but the repressiveness to pinch-to-zoom and finger scrolling seemed a bit laggy.

Screen painting is a bit slower than my N3 but that's to be expected considering the enormous difference in display area. Page loading (which is slower than screen painting) is exactly the same on both. So is navigating around a page once it's loaded. I guess I have low standards. ;)

elsamuraiguapo

Nov 1, 2013
California
Screen painting is a bit slower than my N3 but that's to be expected considering the enormous difference in display area. Page loading (which is slower than screen painting) is exactly the same on both. So is navigating around a page once it's loaded. I guess I have low standards. ;)

I don't have a Note 3 but I have a Nexus 5 and it's no where near that laggy. In fact I'm pretty sure my Note 10.1 2014 is smoother than that as well. But I'm rooted with a bunch of tweaks, custom ROM, and custom kernel.

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Here my takes:
1) Boat browser - fastest and best features, support flash
2) dolphin browser - second place, similar features as Boat, support flash
3) Others that support flash.
Try http://finance.yahoo.com and see how fast and how the page display with your browser!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Comparing a 10.1" display against a 4.7-5.7" display running on the identical CPU/GPU and expecting the same graphics performance is a bit nuts. I'm too lazy to calculate it and usually get it wrong but if you break both displays down to square inches and multiply it by the PPI you'll see why the N10.1-14 appears "slow" in comparison to the devices everyone's mentioning. Compare its browsing against the Nexus 10 and TF701 which have the same resolution and what's poor suddenly looks good.

I can show you the difference though. In off-screen benchmarks the Tab Pro 8.4 scores as well as any S-800 device (the 8.4, 10.1, and 12.2 are all pushing the same total number of pixels, the PPI goes up and down depending on screen size).

Onscreen, it's a whole different story.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_tab_pro_8_4-review-1042p6.php

So with anything involving graphics and screen painting the N10.1-14 is going to take a hit compared to other devices that are serving less pixels.