Root XPS (63 & 67 FW) [Update: 20.03.12]

Search This thread

Acceleracer

Jun 27, 2011
Germany
hey guys,

at the moment im sitting at a pool on palma de mallorca, spain, with my new awesome Xperia S (i am supposed to be at scholl right now, but my mum told me to f*** off school and gifted me 2 weeks of vacation here) thhotels wlan is like 80 god'damn kb/s, but can i root my phone without any PC ? is that possible ??? i dont want to wait one more week, friday i am going back home...

Bin4ry

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 14, 2008
Berlin
No but for ICS it is in the ICS Firmware thread.
I am too lazy to make it for every Rom, so i just make it for the versions i use ;)

Regards

olaf313

Jun 25, 2012
Cologne
hey guys,

at the moment im sitting at a pool on palma de mallorca, spain, with my new awesome Xperia S (i am supposed to be at scholl right now, but my mum told me to f*** off school and gifted me 2 weeks of vacation here) thhotels wlan is like 80 god'damn kb/s, but can i root my phone without any PC ? is that possible ??? i dont want to wait one more week, friday i am going back home...

one more genius for the country. go back to school ! :cool:

bestofmusic

Dec 27, 2011
Funchal - Madeira
Hi there.
I have a brand new Xperia S and I've been reading all about this bootloader unlocking and rooting...
So far I'm getting a bit disappointed because my bootloader isn't unlockable. I've checked it.
Now, my question is: can I root my device in any way, even with a locked bootloader?

EDIT: In the meantime I found the answer... XPS isn't rootable with ICS installed in it, but a workaround is being developed.

Last edited:

smallz2k

Look around more I'll try and get back on here later if I get the chance, hard work to try finding and posting the link on phone.I have a locked bootloader with root and have been running miui for a few weeks-android 4.0.1,You can root but a lot of the custom roms need bootloader unlocking, not All though.
Just try a search for Miui rooted.

Sent from my LT26i using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For unlocked bootloaders only!

Please use the recovery now to root any firmware!
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1596285

Just flash the SuperSU cwm zip with recovery and your phone will be rooted. To download SuperSU visit this thread:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053

Regards
    Quick question. It just wonders me. Sony "supports" unlocking bootloader, which is more dangerous than root. Why rooting is not supported then? Is it because we could unistall third party aplications and Sony has some sort of agreements with them and are obligated by law?

No you are getting the idea wrong ;)
    Long ago we discussed alot with SonyEricsson and together decided this is the best way of doing it.

The reason is simple:
    Rooting alone does not give you access to all partitions etc. pp See X10 Forums for that. Sony is very good in hiding partitions ;)
    With a bootloader unlock we get fully workable fastboot. We are able to write all partitions and change what we want. (Root too)
    Also Sony(Ericsson) is able to track who unlocks and who not AND is able to provide a check mechanism to forbid unlocking of phones which are not owned by the user (for example provider branded phones in contract, the phone is usually property of the provider).
    So this is the reason. Unlocked bootloader gives us nearly full access, so no need to worry ;) I am in this game since X10 times (like you or not :D ?)and we always got the phones working like we wanted.
    Our work for CM9 on XPS has started now too.

Regards
    For unlocked bootloaders only!

Download:
    http://eddy.uni-duisburg.de/bin4ry/system_xps_prerooted_63fw.img

Connect device in fastboot mode (blue LED).
    Open Command prompt and type:

fastboot flash system system_xps_prerooted_63fw.img

This will give you root immediatly after reboot!

A nicer way will come soon. But this should solve first problems :p

Regards

ERRRR u beat me to it :p
    Can someone re-post the img without root explorer in it then ? pleaaaase ! :)

Done it properly with make_ext4 rather than with my experiments further up the thread :)

screenshot_2012-03-17_1720.png

No hidden extras, it contains only the files in Bin4ry's original img, just re-sized the partition to 1073741824 bytes (see screenshot above)

download from hotfile or ul.to

sys_xps_root_67_1g.img md5sum: df5c0170f7b03a82809b41c71decb9bd

Usual disclaimers apply, use at your own risk..
    append zeros with dd, then use resize2fs..
    By the way I think the image you are creating is too large. I tried a 1GB image and it's too large to flash.

Hint, use make_ext4fs to create a "sparse" image for fastboot.
    I already built a system.img and proved work as following link.

LINK REMOVED BY MODERATOR.