[TWRP][YotaPhone2]TWRP 2.8.5.0 Recovery for YotaPhone2

Search This thread

SteadyQuad

Jun 9, 2015
TWRP 2.8.5.0 YotaPhone 2 recovery image​
After the bare bones modded stock recovery for YotaPhone 2 it's time for something more advanced. The TeamWin Recovery Project 2, or TWRP2 is just that: a fully fledged, graphical, touch enabled, custom recovery.

This recovery image for YotaPhone 2 is still an alpha version, so expect some rough edges. Which leads me to:
Disclaimer
I am not responsible for damaged or bricked devices. If you follow instructions in this post, then YOU are making the choice to tinker with your device. You are likely to void your warranty by doing so, and on a bad day you might even damage or brick your device.

What is it?
It's a recovery image for YotaPhone 2 based on TWRP2 custom recovery, and the stock kernel from Yota Devices. You can boot it ad-hoc, or flash it permanently to the recovery partition. Use it to root, install software, make backups, update ROMs etc.

What can you do with it?
- adb root & shell access
- All TWRP 2.8.5.0 functionality (except MTP)
- install update zips (signed with testkeys (e.g. SuperSU), Yota Devices software, and also unsigned zips like Xposed framework.
- You can sideload packages, but also install them from internal storage (e.g. Download folder)
- make partition backups
- root your device

What can it NOT do?
- In this recovery image the MTP functionality of TWRP is disabled, it doesn't play nice with YD's kernel.

What do you need?
- YotaPhone 2 (YD201) with Lollipop 5.0
- Some technical confidence to cope with quirks that come with an alpha version
- USB cable with a PC or laptop on one end

Steps overview:
NOTE: I used less detail in this post than the previous recovery thread, please look there for more detail.
1) backup (sync stuff, copy photos off, use a backup app etc, use search if unsure how to)
2) Install adb and fastboot if not yet installed. (For Windows look e.g. here, for linux the fastest is probably to install Android SDK with platform tools, see here If this is not enough info to get you started, please use xda search!)
3) Unlock the bootloader if you haven't done so before (read warning below!)
4) Download recovery image: recovery_twrp_yd201_alpha2.img
5) boot or flash the recovery image

Unlocking bootloader:
Warning: It is currently not known how to re-lock the bootloader. This means you cannot completely undo the next step as of yet. This might have consequences for sending the device in for repairs, if they check for this, and deem it a (warranty) problem.
See stock recovery thread for unlock steps

BOOT the recovery image:
a) First: put the device in fastboot/download mode:
Power off with USB cable disconnected, then hold volume down key while inserting USB cable (which should already be in your PC on the other end).
You should see a black screen with a tiny white: downloading...
b) Boot the recovery image:
Code:
fastboot boot path/to/recovery_twrp_yd201_alpha2.img
Alternatively, flash the recovery image (overwriting the stock recovery):
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery_twrp_yd201_alpha2.img

Problems & FAQ
Q: It doesn't work!!1!
A: Please provide plenty of detail about error messages, which step, what versions etc. Without providing any detail you'll look silly. TWRP has it's own logfile that you can copy to (virtual) SD card, and access from there.

Kernel sourcecode:
In this recovery image is Yota Device's version of the Linux kernel v3.4.0 for YotaPhone 2. Yota Devices are required by the GPLv2 license to release the source code for this kernel, but so far they haven't taken that step or even shown intention to do so as far as I know. The YotaPhone firmwares and also this recovery image are in effect violating the GPLv2 license if the situation does not change. Attempts to contact Yota Devices on the subject through support, press departement, and an attempt to contact Yota Device's management, have gone pretty much unanswered as of writing. I'm hoping they're just busy making great devices instead of being unwilling.

If you would like to help future custom ROM development for YotaPhone 2 please do the following:
Encourage Yota Devices through their twitter or facebook accounts to publish the Kernel sourcecode for YotaPhone 2, and ask them to support the open source Android community. You can also submit a request through their support page (hint: choose 'sales' as category, otherwise you'll have to enter lots of details. Be polite!).

Info & credits::
TWRP2 is created and maintained by TeamWin. Please donate through their site if you enjoy their work!
Recovery image for YP2: SteadyQuad
Version: alpha2 based on TWRP 2.8.5.0 with Yota Devices kernel (1.39 EU1)
Thanks to: TeamWin for TWRP, @Dees_Troy for hints for getting it up and running, @Jeopardy for testing, @Chainfire for SuperSU and lastly Yota Devices for a great device.

Linking to this recovery image:
Please don't link directly to the download image, link to this post instead. That way users can get the most recent version and any updated info. (It's an alpha version after all)

Created: 2015-06-23
Last Updated: 2015-06-24

Last edited:

Jeopardy

Jan 24, 2007
If you would like to help future custom ROM development for YotaPhone 2 please do the following:
Encourage Yota Devices through their twitter or facebook accounts to publish the Kernel sourcecode for YotaPhone 2, and ask them to support the open source Android community. You can also submit a request through their support page (hint: choose 'sales' as category, otherwise you'll have to enter lots of details. Be polite!).

I just approached Yota for the Yotaphone 2 kernel's source code, and they gave me a link to Yotaphone's developer page (https://yotaphone.com/developer/). It's not there (yet). Maybe they'll release the source code once they finalize the SDK...? That, or the recipient of my query didn't understand the question. :p

Regarding the recovery: works flawlessly. :good:

Reactions: YotaEnthusiast

Rrreutel

Sep 12, 2012
I just approached Yota for the Yotaphone 2 kernel's source code, and they gave me a link to Yotaphone's developer page (https://yotaphone.com/developer/). It's not there (yet). Maybe they'll release the source code once they finalize the SDK...? That, or the recipient of my query didn't understand the question. :p

Yeah, I got the same boxed response and replied that it was not relevant, and explained why. Their SDK (for app development) has nothing to do with the kernel sourcecode, and at the moment their developer pages do not mention anything about kernel sources. I think that their support page tickets are handled by an external company (quicksupportlink.com), that is dependent on Yota for definitive answers, and they're probably instructed to send this reply. At least Yota will get reports from them, with hopefully lots of requests for kernel source. On the press page there's email addresses of 2 press ladies, you could try those too (as I did).

zencooler

Jul 9, 2008
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra

Hi Jeopardy,
Next great mod by you! Congrats! :good:
BTW: Does it mean that your version of TWRP recovery doesn't work with 1.44 EU firmware?
Or if I flash this recovery it will work, but the kernel is one step back to 1.39 version?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Regards!

Jeopardy

Jan 24, 2007
Hi Jeopardy,
Next great mod by you! Congrats! :good:
BTW: Does it mean that your version of TWRP recovery doesn't work with 1.44 EU firmware?
Or if I flash this recovery it will work, but the kernel is one step back to 1.39 version?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Regards!

This recovery is done by SteadyQuad, only tested by me. ;)
But I can answer your question: this recovery works just fine with 1.44 EU firmware. I have flashed it myself successfully. I'm quite sure it is not tied to the firmware version in any way.

zencooler

Jul 9, 2008
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
This recovery is done by SteadyQuad, only tested by me. ;)
But I can answer your question: this recovery works just fine with 1.44 EU firmware. I have flashed it myself successfully. I'm quite sure it is not tied to the firmware version in any way.

Hi again,

Soory for the mistake (I just replied not for the first post). Once again sorry SteadyQuad and congrats for you again! :)
Jaopardy, thanks for the quick info and confirmation it works on 1.44 EU firmware! It's a good news :)

Regards!

SteadyQuad

Jun 9, 2015

Thanks, this archive was already known, it contains a kernel snapshot of end of june 2015. I put it on github with some small adjustments to make it build initially. (and it actually boots ;)

I've also put up an initial device and vendor tree there, although both are pretty far from complete/correct at this point.

BTW @elatllat where did you get the link from?

adamo86

Mar 5, 2009
Has any flashed this recovery permanently over 1.60

Sent from my YD201 using Tapatalk

adamo86

Mar 5, 2009
You can use this TWRP recovery image with 1.60 just fine (the recovery image is pretty much independent of firmware version).
I am having this issue with my yotaphone the epd freezen for a long time I'm not sure if it's twrp. At the moment I flashed the stock modified recovery and it stopped freezing for the last 24hrs i will report back in a few days

SteadyQuad

Jun 9, 2015
I am having this issue with my yotaphone the epd freezen for a long time I'm not sure if it's twrp. At the moment I flashed the stock modified recovery and it stopped freezing for the last 24hrs i will report back in a few days

TWRP is only doing anything when you boot into recovery. When you're just using your phone normally, Android doesn't even know about TWRP. So your EPD freezing must be something else.

Reactions: adamo86

adamo86

Mar 5, 2009
TWRP is only doing anything when you boot into recovery. When you're just using your phone normally, Android doesn't even know about TWRP. So your EPD freezing must be something else.
Your right my phone is bust does anyone have yota contact details

zute333

Dec 28, 2012
Canterbury
HTC Desire
YotaPhone

Have you done a factory reset?
My EPD was freezing and system clock screwing up. Factory reset, wiped caches etc, then cleared out a few apps didn't need and some system crap, seems to be ok now. Battery drain still occurs but I'm resigned to that unfortunately, just hoping 5.1 fixes the issue (and that we get it soon.).

If nothing works you could try emailing support@yotadevices.com, hopefully you get somewhere. Their customer service was very good initially for me but seems to take a very long time to get anything done nowadays.
Either way good luck and I hope your phone gets some decent function back eventually :).

Reactions: adamo86

adamo86

Mar 5, 2009

My EPD was freezing and system clock screwing up. Factory reset, wiped caches etc, then cleared out a few apps didn't need and some system crap, seems to be ok now. Battery drain still occurs but I'm resigned to that unfortunately, just hoping 5.1 fixes the issue (and that we get it soon.).

If nothing works you could try emailing support@yotadevices.com, hopefully you get somewhere. Their customer service was very good initially for me but seems to take a very long time to get anything done nowadays.
Either way good luck and I hope your phone gets some decent function back eventually :).
I got rid of it I tried everything downgraded wiped data etc clean install then did ota still freezes after a while. I did clean install of Rom twice. I think the screen is dying or something inside it is loose because the epd started off as freezes then moved to very light grey instead of black and would refresh but old pics and widget would be visible and it started to flicker from one side then it would start to work after a while then fade again etc. When these freezes happened I would get a blue screen when phone was rebooted and it would slow device down then reboot it self until the screen got unfrozen. I noticed even after installing rom new the screen would some time be frozen. It's only sometimes the screen would be reseted if I did a new installation.
I will miss my yotaphone. I will be getting a nexus 6p or v10.
Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TWRP 2.8.5.0 YotaPhone 2 recovery image​
    After the bare bones modded stock recovery for YotaPhone 2 it's time for something more advanced. The TeamWin Recovery Project 2, or TWRP2 is just that: a fully fledged, graphical, touch enabled, custom recovery.

This recovery image for YotaPhone 2 is still an alpha version, so expect some rough edges. Which leads me to:
    Disclaimer
    I am not responsible for damaged or bricked devices. If you follow instructions in this post, then YOU are making the choice to tinker with your device. You are likely to void your warranty by doing so, and on a bad day you might even damage or brick your device.

What is it?
    It's a recovery image for YotaPhone 2 based on TWRP2 custom recovery, and the stock kernel from Yota Devices. You can boot it ad-hoc, or flash it permanently to the recovery partition. Use it to root, install software, make backups, update ROMs etc.

What can you do with it?
    - adb root & shell access
    - All TWRP 2.8.5.0 functionality (except MTP)
    - install update zips (signed with testkeys (e.g. SuperSU), Yota Devices software, and also unsigned zips like Xposed framework.
    - You can sideload packages, but also install them from internal storage (e.g. Download folder)
    - make partition backups
    - root your device

What can it NOT do?
    - In this recovery image the MTP functionality of TWRP is disabled, it doesn't play nice with YD's kernel.

What do you need?
    - YotaPhone 2 (YD201) with Lollipop 5.0
    - Some technical confidence to cope with quirks that come with an alpha version
    - USB cable with a PC or laptop on one end

Steps overview:
    NOTE: I used less detail in this post than the previous recovery thread, please look there for more detail.
    1) backup (sync stuff, copy photos off, use a backup app etc, use search if unsure how to)
    2) Install adb and fastboot if not yet installed. (For Windows look e.g. here, for linux the fastest is probably to install Android SDK with platform tools, see here If this is not enough info to get you started, please use xda search!)
    3) Unlock the bootloader if you haven't done so before (read warning below!)
    4) Download recovery image: recovery_twrp_yd201_alpha2.img
    5) boot or flash the recovery image

Unlocking bootloader:
    Warning: It is currently not known how to re-lock the bootloader. This means you cannot completely undo the next step as of yet. This might have consequences for sending the device in for repairs, if they check for this, and deem it a (warranty) problem.
    See stock recovery thread for unlock steps

BOOT the recovery image:
    a) First: put the device in fastboot/download mode:
    Power off with USB cable disconnected, then hold volume down key while inserting USB cable (which should already be in your PC on the other end).
    You should see a black screen with a tiny white: downloading...
    b) Boot the recovery image:
    Code:
    fastboot boot path/to/recovery_twrp_yd201_alpha2.img
    Alternatively, flash the recovery image (overwriting the stock recovery):
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery_twrp_yd201_alpha2.img

Problems & FAQ
    Q: It doesn't work!!1!
    A: Please provide plenty of detail about error messages, which step, what versions etc. Without providing any detail you'll look silly. TWRP has it's own logfile that you can copy to (virtual) SD card, and access from there.

Kernel sourcecode:
    In this recovery image is Yota Device's version of the Linux kernel v3.4.0 for YotaPhone 2. Yota Devices are required by the GPLv2 license to release the source code for this kernel, but so far they haven't taken that step or even shown intention to do so as far as I know. The YotaPhone firmwares and also this recovery image are in effect violating the GPLv2 license if the situation does not change. Attempts to contact Yota Devices on the subject through support, press departement, and an attempt to contact Yota Device's management, have gone pretty much unanswered as of writing. I'm hoping they're just busy making great devices instead of being unwilling.

Info & credits::
    TWRP2 is created and maintained by TeamWin. Please donate through their site if you enjoy their work!
    Recovery image for YP2: SteadyQuad
    Version: alpha2 based on TWRP 2.8.5.0 with Yota Devices kernel (1.39 EU1)
    Thanks to: TeamWin for TWRP, @Dees_Troy for hints for getting it up and running, @Jeopardy for testing, @Chainfire for SuperSU and lastly Yota Devices for a great device.

Linking to this recovery image:
    Please don't link directly to the download image, link to this post instead. That way users can get the most recent version and any updated info. (It's an alpha version after all)

Created: 2015-06-23
    Last Updated: 2015-06-24

so anyone tried xposed??

Yeah. It works as expected. No problems for me.