Help! Did I brick my TF within an hour of getting it ?!?! :(

Search This thread

idlefrog

Mar 6, 2011
When you put the file on your sdcard, was the card already in the TF? I find navigating to the top of the card quite confusing using the android file manager and put it in the wrong place first time I did it.

Try putting the sdcard in a computer to check it is in the root directory of the sdcard.

If it is try downloading it again in case the first one was corrupted.

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA Premium App

timekillerj

Sep 18, 2008
timekillerj ,
If the suggestions you received do not work then join the #asus-transformer IRC channel. A developer in there has a method to unbrick a TF.

The developer already has helped two TF owners unbrick their TFs, one which was received with Android 2.2 installed. Just ask if anyone can help you unbrick your device and someone will likely direct you to the correct developer. Be aware that he lives in Europe so when you join the IRC channel that developer may be asleep.

Thanks! just joined and asking. Not very active channel right now though...

rpavich

Mar 23, 2011
Make sure that the zip file is only 1 file deep..some zips that I've gotten were "zip within a zip"

Also, make sure that the file name is EXACTLY correct. I've been fooled by an underscore in the wrong place and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't flash.

quarky42

Sep 30, 2008
This might be something you can try to get back to a working TF.

When I upgraded mine to .13 (latest rev of 3.0), I extracted the zipfile I downloaded from ASUS. It contained an ASUS folder. I copied the ASUS folder to the root of the INTERNAL memory of my TF. (I did not have an SD card).

You may be able to try that with the SD card as well.

Also, did you verify the MD5 checksum of the zip file to make sure it wasn't corrupted when you downloaded it? On the off chance that it was corrupted, you may be able to redownload it and try again, but you have to run the zip file through a md5 checksum calculator to see if the value matches what it should be.

Where did you buy the TF from? Some companies return policies are better than others.

timekillerj

Sep 18, 2008
Following instructions and re-read things 3-4 times before doing anything to your device

Check out my newbie YouTube: http://youtube.com/androidhow

I have plenty of experience flashing android devices, problem was I am too used to flashing my vibrant. 2 things went wrong here, first I am used to my vibrant going into "Download" mode if I have the USB attached. Download mode has an icon that's similar to the TF icon when flashing. I saw the icon and saw that my usb was attached, so I thought I was in the wrong mode.

Second issue is the vibrant is virtually unbrickable. I've been spoiled, and pulled the USB and rebooted to try to enter recovery again. Obviously this was a bad idea.

On a bright note, I followed the advice of 3DSammy and found the right guy on irc, he is going to help me unbrick this afternoon. I'm giddy :)