LectureNotes app

Search This thread

NominalValue

Jan 22, 2012
I'm curious about peoples' opinions of the app "LectureNotes" by Acadoid Developer and how it stacks up against the other main players in the active digitizer game. I've only been using my TPT for a few days' worth of note taking and haven't settled on a specific app yet, so I would like to hear thoughts on how you chose your primary note taking app.

shockpk

Mar 12, 2008
i use ezpdf reader usually and just annotate my notes onto the pdf lecture slides.

if i need free form writing, i use free-note as it has keyboard + pen input
or quill if i just need pen input.

personally i haven't tried lecture notes, but it seems like MyScript Notes Mobile preloaded with the TPT

wribbit

Mar 18, 2012
I've been using TPT for about 2 weeks now, and like the OP, I haven't really quite settled on a specific handwriting app..

Key uses for me are:
- taking notes during meetings
- something to help me in my Japanese language study
- some silly doodling/sketching fun

Some apps I've tried:
- Notesmobile
- Antipaper
- Writepad stylus
- Lecture notes
- Asus' supernotes
- Freenote
- Quill

For lecture notes specifically, I like that I can choose checkered pattern for the background and set the pattern size, as that is perfect for writing in Japanese.
But I found that it lags quite a bit when writing, and there isn't an easy way for me to scroll between pages.
So I haven't really been using it much in the past week.

For the moment, I've sort of settled with using a mix of Writepad, Supernote and Antipaper. Sadly, neither Supernote nor Antipaper has stylus only option

Still waiting for the one app that can do it all!
Might never come, but I can always hope, can't I? :)

siggehandf

Jul 8, 2010
Hjørring
I use Lecture Notes and have more or less canned every other note software. Lecture Notes just has way more features that I need. It can export in many ways. It can backup all my notes to dropbox, great support for inserting images and easy to change color, pen thickness etc.

Only think missing is better organization of the notebooks themselves. When that's here, it will be perfect.

It's also by far the most stable of Quill, Notes mobil and asus supernotes.

Gottoon

Jan 21, 2012
Personally, I have tried a lot of handwriting notes apps until I cam to this one. At that time this one worked the best overall in my opinion. When I first started using it didn't have everything it has now. But it was already robust and never crashed. I had one issue after a full system crash and reboot that wiped out the content of one notebook. But I simply loaded my backup from the day before without issue and kept rolling.
I have about 15 different notebooks on there now and I use them daily for work notes as I am walk around the office working on equipment or meeting notes.
It doesn't have the handwriting recognition features you find in other apps but I think that is what keyboard are for and I wouldn't write a document up that way anyway.

My good things list.
First, The developer is always adding things per user requests. Options for everything you can think of.
Second, it is being developed directly on the TPT and it seems to be one of the only ones able to be truly palm rejection friendly by only allowing the app to pull input from the pen (Option can be disabled for those that don't have a pen).
Third, and again the endless options... every type of custom settings, scrolling options (one finger, two finger, scroll bars and bar thickness), export options, backup options, sharing options, zoom options, page size - color - patterns, simple drawing tools, cut paste - copy paste, and on and on... every time I turn on the tablet it seems there is anther update to this app.

The dev listens to the feedback and finds ways of making the ideas work. I have submitted several ideas that have become reality.

It isn't free... but I would buy it a second and third time if I could just to support the dev team.

I see a brighter and brighter future of this app.

acadoid

Apr 29, 2012
www.acadoid.com
Hi folks,

I am the author of LectureNotes, I was glad to read that the app is useful for you. Sorry for joining this forum and this thread so late, but I learned only very recently that there are couple of forum threads related to LectureNotes.

Note that I uploaded v1.12.2 today with a couple of minor additions, the most important one probably being the possibility to choose the directory where the app stores your notebooks.

Best regards,
Markus

Reactions: kekinash

trt44

Apr 25, 2010
Hi folks,

I am the author of LectureNotes, I was glad to read that the app is useful for you. Sorry for joining this forum and this thread so late, but I learned only very recently that there are couple of forum threads related to LectureNotes.

Note that I uploaded v1.12.2 today with a couple of minor additions, the most important one probably being the possibility to choose the directory where the app stores your notebooks.

Best regards,
Markus

I am using the trial version, but i am already convinced of buying the full version. I have a suggestion to make :
The software really needs a laso eraser :D it will make it more feature-full

acadoid

Apr 29, 2012
www.acadoid.com
Dear trt44,

LectureNotes has a `lasso´ eraser, moving the eraser in a closed path so that start and end point are close deletes the interior.

Best regards,
Markus

trt44

Apr 25, 2010
Perfect, i just tried the laso eraser and it works like a charm, so i bought the software :D.
I have another suggestion : The software lacks the ability to draw basic shapes (rectangles, circles, lines...), and from my humble point of view, basic shapes are very important for fast and accurate drawing when taking notes.

acadoid

Apr 29, 2012
www.acadoid.com
Many thanks for purchasing the app.

The app contains simple drawing primitives, they are part of the pencil toolbox (as long as you do not disable this in the settings). Choose `Show pencil toolbox´ in the pencil menu to get the toolbox displayed, click-and-hold to move it around. A single click on one of the standard or custom pencils chooses the pencil and a double-click on one of the custom pencils opens the `Custom pencil settings´ dialog; a click on one of the drawing tools activates the drawing tool, another click inactivates it.

trt44

Apr 25, 2010
Many thanks for purchasing the app.

The app contains simple drawing primitives, they are part of the pencil toolbox (as long as you do not disable this in the settings). Choose `Show pencil toolbox´ in the pencil menu to get the toolbox displayed, click-and-hold to move it around. A single click on one of the standard or custom pencils chooses the pencil and a double-click on one of the custom pencils opens the `Custom pencil settings´ dialog; a click on one of the drawing tools activates the drawing tool, another click inactivates it.

OK, so far this is the best note taking application for android platform, it works exactly the way it should. But :p the UI is a bit ugly frankly :eek: you should work it more. A software like yours deserve a sexy fantastic UI :
- Attractive icons cause the actual ones looks dead to me, note Books icons for example looks horrible
- The ability to go forward and back in pages using forward and back buttons (more convenient sometimes instead of just scrolling or doing a notebook overview and select the page from there)
- Notebook overview should have an icon in the top tools bar for easy access

One last thing, when you use palm heuristic there is no way to zoom but using the zoom function in the menu witch have a fixed zoom ratio, i suggest to add a zoom slider in the top tools bar where you can specify how much you want to zoom when using (or not) palm heuristic.

Thank you for the fantastic software and keep the good work on :).

acadoid

Apr 29, 2012
www.acadoid.com
Many thanks for your kind comments. I certainly agree that the icons can be improved, but I am not an artist and I do my best.

The app allows to go forward and backward page-wise by using `One page forward` or `One page backward´ in the hand menu; alternatively, to move quickly through your notebook without changing mode or switching to notebook overview, switch on `Permanently display scroll bars´ in the settings and drag on the scroll bars (the bar thickness can be increased in the settings).

`Notebook overview´ is just two clicks away in all modes (one click on main menu and one click on the item), I do not think that it is worthwhile to add an extra icon.

When using the heuristic palm rejection, one or two fingers gestures for scrolling and zooming are restricted to the hand mode, but being in this mode you can scroll and zoom continuously. Besides that, there is a zoom slider at the left side, you can change zoom by dragging it (the bar thickness can also be increased in the settings).

obscure.detour

Apr 20, 2010
Just wanted to say hello to you Markus :) and thank you for your amazing app.

I am loving your app more and more. I appreciate your email correspondence about features I asked about. It truly puts you and your application above the rest.

Cheers.

acadoid

Apr 29, 2012
www.acadoid.com
I just uploaded v1.13 into Google Play. The major new feature is to allow folders of notebooks (and folders of folders of notebooks, etc.), but I also added LectureNotes as an image receiver (so that the app shows up when you share an image) and fixed a bug that could cause the app to crash when using a template for a new notebook.

To allow folders affects all parts of the app (notebooks board, notebook content view, notebook overview, notebook index, notebooks board index, ...). I carefully double- and triple-checked all features and things should work as before. Please drop an email to me in case you noticed something unexpected and I will do my very best to fix it quickly.

Best regards,
Markus

siggehandf

Jul 8, 2010
Hjørring
Sweet, I requested this feature cause of large number of notes :)

Works good, but maybe change the icon of folders so they stand out more from the regular.

obscure.detour

Apr 20, 2010
I just uploaded v1.13 into Google Play. The major new feature is to allow folders of notebooks (and folders of folders of notebooks, etc.), but I also added LectureNotes as an image receiver (so that the app shows up when you share an image) and fixed a bug that could cause the app to crash when using a template for a new notebook.

To allow folders affects all parts of the app (notebooks board, notebook content view, notebook overview, notebook index, notebooks board index, ...). I carefully double- and triple-checked all features and things should work as before. Please drop an email to me in case you noticed something unexpected and I will do my very best to fix it quickly.

Best regards,
Markus

This is a wonderful feature Markus that I didn't realize I needed until just recently. Love it :) I like the idea of changing the icon on the folders so they stand out more. I also love the new storage location setting, it eases my mind to know it is on my external_sd.

Also, I dunno if I am just being dense, but I cannot seem to figure out the navigation menu when enabled in settings. Within settings, under Settings > Menu > Enable app's launcher icon menu and it says it provides a navigation menu at the app's launcher icon. I've always assumed this was an extra navigation menu in the top left corner, but cannot seem to ever be able to use it.

Any thoughts?

acadoid

Apr 29, 2012
www.acadoid.com
I am glad to hear that you like the new feature.

In case you switch on the menu at the app's launcher icon, you should see a menu when clicking on the icon in the left upper corner (in difference to the case when this option is off, then you get a message that there is no functionality assigned, with the exception of notebook content view where the changed pages are flushed to the file system). What happens in your case? Does the icon highlight when you click on it?

obscure.detour

Apr 20, 2010
I am glad to hear that you like the new feature.

In case you switch on the menu at the app's launcher icon, you should see a menu when clicking on the icon in the left upper corner (in difference to the case when this option is off, then you get a message that there is no functionality assigned, with the exception of notebook content view where the changed pages are flushed to the file system). What happens in your case? Does the icon highlight when you click on it?

It doesn't seem to do anything when I click on it, with either my finger or with the pen. And it doesn't seem to matter if I have it enabled or not. Neither scenario causes the icon to do anything. It doesn't highlight or say/do anything. It also does not matter what screen I am at, the icon never does anything. Whether I am within a notebook, folder or at the notebooks board screen. Odd.

Would this have anything to do with that I am running ICS?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @DiJu519 and all others that have requested PDF import: I just uploaded v1.15 into Google Play which allows for PDF import via a helper app, PDFView, which you need to install aside of LectureNotes and which LectureNotes uses for PDF rendering.

PDFView is based on the excellent MuPDF library. It is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. At the moment, the app is only used by LectureNotes for PDF rendering, but all other Android developers are invited to include an interface to PDFView into their apps and use PDFView for PDF rendering. Details of the interface can be found in the source of PDFView available at http://www.acadoid.com/src/pdfview.tgz.
    @DiJu519: The app allows to import all pages of a PDF file at once. To do that, open your notebook in notebook overview (either by long-clicking on the notebook on the notebooks board and choosing `Notebook overview´ in the upcoming popup, or by open the notebook normally and choosing `Notebook overview´ in the main menu) and choose `Import PDF as new pages´ in the main menu. You can adjust resolution and margins in the app's input settings.

In notebook overview, you can also export a subset of pages to PDF by tagging them (click on the tag to activate tag mode and of the page(s)) and choose `Export tagged pages to PDF´.
    I'm curious about peoples' opinions of the app "LectureNotes" by Acadoid Developer and how it stacks up against the other main players in the active digitizer game. I've only been using my TPT for a few days' worth of note taking and haven't settled on a specific app yet, so I would like to hear thoughts on how you chose your primary note taking app.
    @stbxxl: Glad to hear that you like the new text drawing tool adjustments. I hope to provide a better support of typed text soon.

Concerning filtering: Since the very first versions, the app applies a running cubic interpolation on the input coordinates to get a smooth curve. This works fine if the coordinates do not display any noise, but can yield somewhat `strange´ results in the presence of noise, as both the curve as well as its derivative are enforced to fit at the input coordinates. The filtering applies the Ramer–Douglas–Peucker algorithm to reduce the number of points, which is a standard approach, the filter strength in the app's settings controls the threshold. Then, when the running cubic interpolation is applied, the resulting curve is smoother.
    @stbxxl: A zoomed input area floating over the notebook (which would avoid zooming in and out) is the second of the two bigger projects on my agenda.