Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

[Q] Maxcast

2,117 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,709

By LeftyGR, Senior Member on 19th April 2014, 12:53 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
So I've had a CC for 5-6 months. It's stock. A few weeks ago I noticed on my cc phone app it started asking me to set up MaxCast. Haven't found much via Google search. What I have found makes me believe it's something computer based. But I don't have my laptop on and have never downloaded anything. It shows up with and without the cc plugged in so it's not a weird firmware addition Google pushed to my device. And I don't have anything I installed on my phone...
So what the blank is this?

<Note3>

19th April 2014, 01:10 AM |#2  
Flag Kitchener
Thanks Meter: 4,521

Donate to Me
More
Someone else in your area probably has a Chromecast and named it maxcast.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Cuzz1369 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Cuzz1369 Ad-Free
19th April 2014, 02:49 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bloomington, IL

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuzz1369

Someone else in your area probably has a Chromecast and named it maxcast.

Not possible. It's on my wireless network, which is locked down tight. And if it was someone else's cc, to name it would mean it's set up.

<Note3>
19th April 2014, 03:01 AM |#4  
Flag Kitchener

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyGR

Not possible. It's on my wireless network, which is locked down tight. And if it was someone else's cc, to name it would mean it's set up.

<Note3>

Its not on your wireless network. The app detects all Chromecast within range and asks you to set it up on your network.

19th April 2014, 03:07 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bloomington, IL

More
Quote:

Its not on your wireless network. The app detects all Chromecast within range and asks you to set it up on your network.

Sorry. That's not correct. Picture 1. What happens when you try to connect with wifi off.

Picture 2. List of devices on my wifi network. ON my network, which is named "CodeBrown".

<Note3>
19th April 2014, 03:28 AM |#6  
Flag Kitchener

Donate to Me
More
It is correct that's how it works. Believe what you want.

19th April 2014, 04:55 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bloomington, IL

More
Quote:

It is correct that's how it works. Believe what you want.

Not really helpful, but ok. Explain why it lists the device on my wireless network?

<Note3>
19th April 2014, 04:57 AM |#8  
Flag Kitchener

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Not really helpful, but ok. Explain why it lists the device on my wireless network?

<Note3>

Factory reset your Chromecast. It will show up the same way as the "max cast" does until you set it up.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Cuzz1369 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Cuzz1369 Ad-Free
19th April 2014, 07:20 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 375

More
Quote:

<Note3>

Because it detects it via WiFi, It sees the device in AP mode and is telling you you need to connect it to your network!
The Following User Says Thank You to Asphyx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Asphyx Ad-Free
19th April 2014, 08:24 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 89

More
If you check available wireless networks in Settings on your phone you'll see a unsecured Access Point on Channel 1 called Chromecast which is the 'MaxCast' waiting for something to connect to set up. It's probably your neighbours. Maybe they've gone away, turned of their wifi, but left their Chromecast powered up. A set up and powered up Chromecast that can't find it's preferred network will fire up it's internal Access Point waiting to be set up again. When they switch their wireless back on it will disappear.
The Following User Says Thank You to neu - smurph For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift neu - smurph Ad-Free
19th April 2014, 03:59 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bloomington, IL

More
1st. @Cuzz1369 . Sorry for arguing.
2nd. So a cc device set up on someone else's wireless network is in proximity to mine and can actually be set up? That just seems...stoopid. I woulda thought once set up it would lock in the settings and be on one network. Hmm. Ok then. Thanks for everyone's input!

<Note3>
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)