Galaxy Note 2 VS GSIII VS Next Nexus

Search This thread

averymlewis

Jun 27, 2012
South East U.S.A
Hello everyone I'm just trying to get a general idea of your thoughts on the matter. I am currently an Owner of the Galaxy S3 (White Model) A couple weeks from now the new Galaxy Note will be announced and a little down the road the new Nexus device. First of all I've never owned a Note but it does intrigue me A LOT. Would I be better off staying with my GSIII or should I wait on the next nexus or Based on the use of your current Galaxy Note would you suggest I get the Galaxy Note 2? I love the 4.8in screen on my GS3, and heave even bought a stylus for it, but would like the larger screen that the Note offers. Is the screen that much of a difference?

sahilarora2003

Jun 1, 2012
Somewhere in your Phone.
Hello everyone I'm just trying to get a general idea of your thoughts on the matter. I am currently an Owner of the Galaxy S3 (White Model) A couple weeks from now the new Galaxy Note will be announced and a little down the road the new Nexus device. First of all I've never owned a Note but it does intrigue me A LOT. Would I be better off staying with my GSIII or should I wait on the next nexus or Based on the use of your current Galaxy Note would you suggest I get the Galaxy Note 2? I love the 4.8in screen on my GS3, and heave even bought a stylus for it, but would like the larger screen that the Note offers. Is the screen that much of a difference?

Yes in my view. :D

Sent From My GT-N7000 Using XDA Premium.

mahboob2t

Feb 20, 2012
Jeddah

YES it is :good:

Kangal

Jan 3, 2006
The next Nexus sounds like a winner to me. A pure Google experience without the nasty touchwiz, sense, motoblur, etc ui, gotta love it!

I prefer the hardware of a flagship device, then AOSP from 3rd party dev's to get the best of both worlds.

Hence, an S3 with CM10 is better than a Gnex.

TO THE OP:
Don't take anyone's word for it. Wear some jeans and walk in to a mobile showroom.
Check out the size of it, hands-on. Slip it into your jean pocket. Walk around sit down. Run (no don't do that, you'll get caught).

If you can tolerate the slight heft, by all means go for it.
The extra screen estate and S PEN makes a world of a difference.

All-in-all, if you decide to get a NOTE, wait for the NOTE2 announcement, hands-on, release and the subsequent reviews by trustable sources (cnet's not too bad, even engadget makes good reviews). Patience is key !

foxmeister

Mar 10, 2008
Ealing
The rumour going round at the moment is that the Note 2 will have a lower resolution screen than the original Note - 1280x720 vs 1280x800.

If this is true, it is a mistake in my opinion as it will remove one of the differentiators between the Note 2 and the S3, probably leaving only the larger screen and S-Pen.

It wouldn't necessarily stop me getting a Note 2, but I doubt that I would bother if I already had an S3.

Regards,

Dave

viniciusrsouza

Apr 20, 2008
Rio de Janeiro
The rumour going round at the moment is that the Note 2 will have a lower resolution screen than the original Note - 1280x720 vs 1280x800.

If this is true, it is a mistake in my opinion as it will remove one of the differentiators between the Note 2 and the S3, probably leaving only the larger screen and S-Pen.

It wouldn't necessarily stop me getting a Note 2, but I doubt that I would bother if I already had an S3.

Regards,

Dave

What are the main differences that this lower resolution could bring that would be easily noticeable? I'm reading a lot of comments about this, but I thought DPI setting was more important than resolution.

Could you explain us why less 80 pixels would be so terrible?

By the way, if Samsung will really do this, probably it's for a great reason! Or not?

foxmeister

Mar 10, 2008
Ealing
Could you explain us why less 80 pixels would be so terrible?

I didn't say it would be terrible, just that if I had an S3, I doubt I would move to a Note 2 if it had exactly the same screen resolution.

However, from my perspective, I frequently connect to remote desktops using my Note, and those additional 80 pixels make quite a bit of difference in that scenario to what you can physically fit on the screen.

If the Note 2 does have a 720p screen, it is leaning more towards phone than tablet, and I rather like where the Note sits at present.

Regards,

Dave

Kangal

Jan 3, 2006
I didn't say it would be terrible, just that if I had an S3, I doubt I would move to a Note 2 if it had exactly the same screen resolution.

However, from my perspective, I frequently connect to remote desktops using my Note, and those additional 80 pixels make quite a bit of difference in that scenario to what you can physically fit on the screen.

If the Note 2 does have a 720p screen, it is leaning more towards phone than tablet, and I rather like where the Note sits at present.

Regards,

Dave

Sorry Dave you've got it all wrong.
1280 x 720 isn't less pixels than the NOTE 1.

If its in RGB format, each pixel will have 4 subunits. Pentile has 3.
So you're effectively increasing the subpixel count by 30%

Sure you're "losing" 80 pixels on the width, but that doesn't really affect anything.
Videos would look better because of 16:9 size.
Browsing will have same content but "zoomed out" slightly.
That's pretty much it.

Comparing RGB to PenTile is a joke though, compare the SGS to SGS2's screen to understand.

Anyone with a small 4.8in PenTile screen going to a 5.5in RGB screen is effectively upgrading to much better display with a bigger size. I'll say it one last time, throwing pixels and resolutions at a phone is not going to make it easier/better to use. At one point it can become a moot point.

martcerv

Sep 21, 2010
1280x800 has the advantage that when you use a video you can view full screen 16:9 video and the extra 80 pixels are for your status bar, so in a 1280x720 res screen you will need to expand the desktop to view 16:9 video. This is the main reason for 1280x800 and why I think its a better resolution ratio of 16:10.

This would be the same as if the next note would be 1920x1200 rather then 1920x1080 which I think would be nicer having a higher pixel density, if Samsung went to the full HD res though this would eat into performance and battery life. So going to full HD with the improved hardware over the current note performance would end up similar to what the current Note is but unless battery would be upped to 3500mah it would like reduce overall life.

I prefer the 16:10 screen ratio which in use is really 16:9 as the extra 80 pixels are your status bar, I would have liked the higher res even if pentile at 1920x1200, the density would be nice to have and as with the samsung screen used in the new Ipad that pixel density is quite possible. Not sure if they have managed it in Oled screens yet and if they can do it in RGB or pentile but I think it would have more then likely made me upgrade if this is the screen they want.

As is my contract has expired and I may upgrade from my current note but there isnt much in the specs Ive seen so far that is tempting me, if the screen is dropping to 1280x720 even if going always from pentile and being slightly larger. This isnt a good point to me in terms of wanting to upgrade to the note 2, most likely if this is the case they have got the extra .2 inches by keeping the width the same as in the current note and extending the height to go from 16:9 to 16:10. I like 16:9 aspect of the current note with those extra 80 pixels for the status bar taking them away will make the real ratio more like 16:8 if you keep the status bar on screen so I dont think this is a great move.

Touchwis and all the other samsung software on the s3 does nothing for me, I will end up with a cm10 version of paranoid android which I am currently more then happy with cm9 PA 0.5 atm. I tried the JB version but many things just dont work great on JB for the current note yet and we will need to wait on an official note release and source code of this to get the modders to final in cm10.

foxmeister

Mar 10, 2008
Ealing
Sorry Dave you've got it all wrong.
1280 x 720 isn't less pixels than the NOTE 1.

Sorry - that is plain nonsense. Pixels are pixels regardless of whether you are using RGB stripes or Pentile.

Subpixels are a *completely* different issue, and given we've no reason to believe at this stage that the Note 2 will not have a Pentile screen, the point is largely moot.

Sure you're "losing" 80 pixels on the width, but that doesn't really affect anything.
Videos would look better because of 16:9 size.
Browsing will have same content but "zoomed out" slightly.
That's pretty much it.

Eye of the beholder. I'd much rather have those 80pixels back because it makes a world of difference on an RDP session.

Comparing RGB to PenTile is a joke though, compare the SGS to SGS2's screen to understand.

On small screens, as the resolution increases the disadvantages of Pentile become less and less apparent.

Anyone with a small 4.8in PenTile screen going to a 5.5in RGB screen is effectively upgrading to much better display with a bigger size. I'll say it one last time, throwing pixels and resolutions at a phone is not going to make it easier/better to use. At one point it can become a moot point.

Again - where is the evidence that the Note 2 won't have a Pentile screen? I'd be prepare to bet that it does!

Regards,

Dave

martcerv

Sep 21, 2010
Pentile vs rgb will double red and blue sub pixels, this will improve colour accuracy but doesnt improve resolution. 1280x800 pentile is still 1280x800 pixels rgb 1280x720 is lower resolution but more sub pixels will improve colours but going up to 5.5 your reducing the actual pixel density but increasing the overall colour density if that makes any sense.

Nearly all digital cameras use a pentile type sensor in cmos cameras with a bayer sensor, I am pretty sure all phone cameras will have such sensors. There arent many complaints in this and even though a true rgb sensor would give best results as resolution goes up you will barely notice this.

Going to 720p is still a bad idea because if your status bar is using 80 pixels then in wide mode your video only has 1280x640 of useable screen pixels. The status bar can be shrunk to use less but as long as its on screen you wont have a standard 16:9 viewable area on the screen. Pentile or not your still losing pixels and also screen ratio so its not a good thing how I see it.

Kangal

Jan 3, 2006
1280x800 has the advantage that when you use a video you can view full screen 16:9 video and the extra 80 pixels are for your status bar, so in a 1280x720 res screen you will need to expand the desktop to view 16:9 video. This is the main reason for 1280x800 and why I think its a better resolution ratio of 16:10.

This would be the same as if the next note would be 1920x1200 rather then 1920x1080 which I think would be nicer having a higher pixel density, if Samsung went to the full HD res though this would eat into performance and battery life. So going to full HD with the improved hardware over the current note performance would end up similar to what the current Note is but unless battery would be upped to 3500mah it would like reduce overall life.

I prefer the 16:10 screen ratio which in use is really 16:9 as the extra 80 pixels are your status bar, I would have liked the higher res even if pentile at 1920x1200, the density would be nice to have and as with the samsung screen used in the new Ipad that pixel density is quite possible. Not sure if they have managed it in Oled screens yet and if they can do it in RGB or pentile but I think it would have more then likely made me upgrade if this is the screen they want.

As is my contract has expired and I may upgrade from my current note but there isnt much in the specs Ive seen so far that is tempting me, if the screen is dropping to 1280x720 even if going always from pentile and being slightly larger. This isnt a good point to me in terms of wanting to upgrade to the note 2, most likely if this is the case they have got the extra .2 inches by keeping the width the same as in the current note and extending the height to go from 16:9 to 16:10. I like 16:9 aspect of the current note with those extra 80 pixels for the status bar taking them away will make the real ratio more like 16:8 if you keep the status bar on screen so I dont think this is a great move.

Touchwis and all the other samsung software on the s3 does nothing for me, I will end up with a cm10 version of paranoid android which I am currently more then happy with cm9 PA 0.5 atm. I tried the JB version but many things just dont work great on JB for the current note yet and we will need to wait on an official note release and source code of this to get the modders to final in cm10.

When watching videos the Status Bar hides. And if you have on-screen buttons, they hide too.

When using the NOTE, you primarily use it on Portrait mode. So the extra 80 pixels don't help for the Status Bar or the On-screen buttons. Its pretty much "wasted" on the empty spaces in the Browser and Apps, making things look a tad more "zoomed in".

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

we've no reason to believe at this stage that the Note 2 will not have a Pentile screen, the point is largely moot.

On small screens, as the resolution increases the disadvantages of Pentile become less and less apparent.

Again - where is the evidence that the Note 2 won't have a Pentile screen? I'd be prepare to bet that it does!

Regards,
Dave

I'm just arguing about the rumours, never claimed they would hit retail.
Samsung putting a 5.5in 1280 x 720 PenTile screen is a mistake in my humble opinion. It would be downgrading. If it is 5.5in 1280 x 720 RGB, I'd say its an improvement.

Sure the pixel density suffers a little.
And you might lose the Home button to wake the device, or comfortably push the Back and Menu keys.

A better screen (little less blurry, yes I can see the PenTile again, can't unsee it)
But what you get is a more modern design.
Virtual keys that we can mod the shlt out of.
And a larger screen when doing stuff like watching videos and toggling the Status Bar/Buttons off.

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

Sorry - that is plain nonsense. Pixels are pixels regardless of whether you are using RGB stripes or Pentile.

Subpixels are a *completely* different issue.

I already addressed this in that comment which you haven't quoted.
You're right you are still losing 80 pixels.
....However the phone is held in portrait mode most of the time, so the 80pixel is lost from the horizontal axis.
It doesn't mean horizontally the screen is smaller, it means horizontally there's less detail.
Though in most Apps this is just loss of clarity (which is compensated by a much clearer RGB layout). Even in the browser, these pixels usually just fill up blank spaces.

THEREFORE, this is not a deal breaker.

And at least we fall unto a standard ratio and resolution. Otherwise I would completely agree with you.

Eye of the beholder. I'd much rather have those 80pixels back because it makes a world of difference on an RDP session.

I see. Others have also chimed in on this.
To be honest, I don't RDP or chroot anymore. It was handy at first, but its still feels like a beta test on each use. And its not a primary function of the NOTE, and I don't think the majority utilize this function. I know when I need those functions, and I just carry an Ultrabook.

Should be even easier in the future with Win8 hitting smaller form factors like tablets.

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

Pentile vs rgb will double red and blue sub pixels, this will improve colour accuracy but doesnt improve resolution. 1280x800 pentile is still 1280x800 pixels rgb 1280x720 is lower resolution but more sub pixels will improve colours but going up to 5.5 your reducing the actual pixel density but increasing the overall colour density if that makes any sense.

Nearly all digital cameras use a pentile type sensor in cmos cameras with a bayer sensor, I am pretty sure all phone cameras will have such sensors. There arent many complaints in this and even though a true rgb sensor would give best results as resolution goes up you will barely notice this.

Going to 720p is still a bad idea because if your status bar is using 80 pixels then in wide mode your video only has 1280x640 of useable screen pixels. The status bar can be shrunk to use less but as long as its on screen you wont have a standard 16:9 viewable area on the screen. Pentile or not your still losing pixels and also screen ratio so its not a good thing how I see it.

The status bar DOESN'T consume 80 pixels. It uses 54 pixels (or 4.2% space).
The on-screen buttons consume 96 pixels (or 7.5% space).
They both utilize the space from the vertical plane, the 80 pixels, are lost from the horizontal plane.

On certain functions, like video playback, they Hide, and the content uses the whole screen.
On certain Apps, like Angry Birds, they Hide, and the content uses the whole screen.
On certain ROMS, like AOKP, they can be customized with any picture/logo, glow effect, order, function, or gesture. They can also be toggled ON/OFF at anytime or Pre-Set for any Apps (Paranoid).

There's just more opportunities to work with on-screen buttons, I think Google made the right call.

Last edited:

foxmeister

Mar 10, 2008
Ealing
I already addressed this in that comment which you haven't quoted.
You're right you are still losing 80 pixels.
....However the phone is held in portrait mode most of the time, so the 80pixel is lost from the horizontal axis.
It doesn't mean horizontally the screen is smaller, it means horizontally there's less detail.
Though in most Apps this is just loss of clarity (which is compensated by a much clearer RGB layout). Even in the browser, these pixels usually just fill up blank spaces.

THEREFORE, this is not a deal breaker.

Losing 80 pixels from the screen and then losing further pixels due to the soft buttons makes a *huge* amount of difference if your primary usage mode is landscape, and definitely roams into deal breaker territory for me. That would mean that I would be better off with an SIII since at least it still has physical buttons.

Whilst I do use my Note as a phone, I don't use it often in portrait except when actually making phone calls. That would not be the case if it had been a 720p device, but the Note changed my usage due to the dimensions of the screen.

What I'd like to see from the Note 2 is "like the Note, but better" - 720p with soft buttons is in my opinion not like the Note, and not better. Your mileage may vary of course, and I appreciate that, but the Note 2 as described here is just a bigger SIII with an S-Pen - I would never have bought the original Note if it had just been a bigger SII with an S-Pen!

I could possibly see myself living with 720p if there were physical buttons, or 1280x800 with soft keys, but 720p with soft keys? No thanks!

Of course, next week we should know for certain exactly what the Note 2 will be.

Regards,

Dave

averymlewis

Jun 27, 2012
South East U.S.A
Well I would imagine the Note 2 would be like the S3 except with a larger screen and S-Pen. In that nature that's a good thing because the GSIII has a vast amount of motion features that I use on the daily bases. As for a matter of fact I had put cm10 on my GSIII and after using it for a while converted back to stock because the Touchwiz camera, motions, and other features just outdid stock Jellybean. So a Note2 with GS3 features sounds like a win not to mention it should be a JB build so we'll get the new notifications and Google Now. But I think its fair to say everyone pretty much eliminated the New Nexus device. Do you think think theres that much difference between a 4.8in screen Vs a 5.3/5.5?

Kangal

Jan 3, 2006
Well I would imagine the Note 2 would be like the S3 except with a larger screen and S-Pen. In that nature that's a good thing because the GSIII has a vast amount of motion features that I use on the daily bases. As for a matter of fact I had put cm10 on my GSIII and after using it for a while converted back to stock because the Touchwiz camera, motions, and other features just outdid stock Jellybean. So a Note2 with GS3 features sounds like a win not to mention it should be a JB build so we'll get the new notifications and Google Now. But I think its fair to say everyone pretty much eliminated the New Nexus device. Do you think think theres that much difference between a 4.8in screen Vs a 5.3/5.5?

As a quick rule of thumb just remember this:
1-On-screen buttons waste 0.3 inches.
2-A screen difference is notable for each 0.3inches.

So if you go from an iPhone to something like 3.9 inches (Desire); you're gonna notice the improvement.
To a 4.2 inch (Xperia Arc) device again, notice the improvement.
To a 4.5 inch (Epic Touch), then to a 4.8 inch (S3), then to a 5.1 inch (Streak), then to a 5.4 inch (Note 1/2).
....So Yeah, there is much difference between an S3 and NOTE.

Mataro

Dec 15, 2011
I own the Note and the Nexus:D. I skipped getting the S3 to see what the Note 2 will bring to the table and I might hold off on the Note 2 to see how the next Nexus will look and to see if Asus or anyone else makes a good 7" tablet to counter the no rear camera, no sd slot and small storage on the Nexus 7.Before I pull the trigger I want to make sure I have the best combo of devices. I am looking to have a phone tablet combo for sure. Either a Note 2 and a Note 10.1 or a 7" Tablet with the next Nexus or S3:victory:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My friend got a s3 n I got a note. His s3 reminds me of my s2. Not interested in the s3 anymore.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda app-developers app
    In my opinion, the note 2 with jelly bean firmware, could be the best phone ever created...
    I find it very difficult to commit to 1 phone for 2 years when technology changes so fast. I'll get the Note 2 and next year it'll be the Note 3 and so on so its naturally a challenge unless you have plenty of money to waste or enough lines that you can switch out phones as you please. But I think I may sell my S3 and get it granted it doesn't cost toooooo much.

If you can do a month by month payment for services equal to a plan without a contract:
    1- You will save yourself a lot of money
    2- You can choose ANY phone that you want (as long as the gsm compatible)
    3- You can quit anytime, you're not obliged to finish the contract

Here in my country, I'm paying $50 per month and am locked down.
    I could be paying $18 per month for the same services. That's a saving over $500, which is sure to cover phone upgrades.

And if more people went prepaid, the profits of the Telecommunications would slim down. They'd have to be competitive to actually win customers. Overall, people would be voting with their wallets and the consumers would win.