FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,560 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,273

By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 21st August 2012, 11:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
25th June 2019, 12:41 AM |#11611  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1010

Hello,
on my old phone I am using xprivacy but since it is not ported to the newer Android releases I stuck with my current phone for a long time.
Time for change but this time I would like to install lineageos with microg (de-google it) and ... I am struggling with finding some budget phone which has its own microg release. Can you recommend any phone which:

1. has at least 3 GB RAM
  2. costs under £170
  3. is dual sim
  4. has lineageos + microg release
  5. has quite decent camera

xiaomi redmi note 7 might be something for you to look at

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_7-9513.php
https://forum.xda-developers.com/red...-16-0-t3923203
The Following User Says Thank You to based_patches For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift based_patches Ad-Free
28th June 2019, 02:33 AM |#11612  
Flag hollow earth
Thanks Meter: 109

Donate to Me
More
Removable battery ( I know thats asking alot from God in 2019 )

GREAT Audio with DAC support

MicroSD support

Oled screen

decent battery life .

3.5mm headphone jack

No front camera ( motorized pop up or just no front camera at all . Not all of us need selfies. )

rootable with healthy dev community

Does this phone exist ?
28th June 2019, 09:28 AM |#11613  
Thanks Meter: 225

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_dude36

Removable battery ( I know thats asking alot from God in 2019 )

GREAT Audio with DAC support

MicroSD support

Oled screen

decent battery life .

3.5mm headphone jack

No front camera ( motorized pop up or just no front camera at all . Not all of us need selfies. )

rootable with healthy dev community

Does this phone exist ?

LG G5 maybe?
Screens LCD I believe but it still has AOD etc.
28th June 2019, 08:30 PM |#11614  
Flag Pittsburgh
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Looking for a replacement for Xperia XZ Premium that is more flexible
Hey all!

I currently have an Xperia XZ Premium international, and while I love the phone and it's abilities, I'm sick of not having the options to flash ROMs freely, to root, or to swap the battery. I'd really appreciate any suggestions regarding a phone that could meet or exceed the XZ Premium's specs while providing these options. I'd prefer that the device have a nice screen, but a 4K screen isn't absolutely necessary, as I rarely use 4K mode on my XZP. Support for external SD is a must, and so is a nice quality camera, as I use that function quite a bit. I also play a lot of emulated games on RetroArch and other platforms, so I like to have decent 3D acceleration and RAM.

One other issue I have with the XZP is intermittent problems with running my Android Studio code on it, while not having any issues with that on my girlfriend's phone. At this point, I just use virtualized Android exclusively. I'd like to have a phone that will lend itself well to customization, or in this respect, a simpler ROM that eliminates some of the preloaded system apps. I guess a phone that has the interests of the developers on XDA would probably be good for me.

Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to Dack Wallace For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Dack Wallace Ad-Free
29th June 2019, 09:15 PM |#11615  
Thanks Meter: 149

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dack Wallace

Hey all!

I currently have an Xperia XZ Premium international, and while I love the phone and it's abilities, I'm sick of not having the options to flash ROMs freely, to root, or to swap the battery. I'd really appreciate any suggestions regarding a phone that could meet or exceed the XZ Premium's specs while providing these options. I'd prefer that the device have a nice screen, but a 4K screen isn't absolutely necessary, as I rarely use 4K mode on my XZP. Support for external SD is a must, and so is a nice quality camera, as I use that function quite a bit. I also play a lot of emulated games on RetroArch and other platforms, so I like to have decent 3D acceleration and RAM.

One other issue I have with the XZP is intermittent problems with running my Android Studio code on it, while not having any issues with that on my girlfriend's phone. At this point, I just use virtualized Android exclusively. I'd like to have a phone that will lend itself well to customization, or in this respect, a simpler ROM that eliminates some of the preloaded system apps. I guess a phone that has the interests of the developers on XDA would probably be good for me.

Thanks!

I had XZP and loved it... But went to a Pixel 2XL for the camera.

Removable battery these days is almost non starter....

For Dev support, look to a Pixel phone or a One Plus ...but no SD card.

Maybe Motorola .... Or Nokia?
2nd July 2019, 11:45 AM |#11616  
Account currently disabled
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 0

More
In 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCarter93

Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

In 2019, I suggest you to go with Huawei P30 Pro

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dack Wallace

Hey all!

Thanks!

I had the same Xperia XZP but due to low battery backup, recently I switched with Nokia 8.1 and now happy to use this one. Good battery life, run smoothly while playing games
2nd July 2019, 03:20 PM |#11617  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I'm looking for a phone with a good camera with a strong lens, nice screen, micro SD, headphone jack, with an actively maintained LineageOS ROM and with a simple flashing procedure (e.g: no need to flash additional drivers, no A/B partitioning). Price point I'm looking at is <200 GBP. I'm not particularly picky about other specs as long as it beats my current phone.

I currently have a Moto G4 whose lens is shoddy and results in really bad pictures.
3rd July 2019, 12:12 AM |#11618  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
What android phone i get
I need to buy a new mobile phone was looking at Samsung Galaxy a20 oppo ax5s red
I just want to play games on it what one will be good for games im from Australia
4th July 2019, 07:33 AM |#11619  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Hi everyone,

I am looking for a new phone to buy but I can't make my mind.

A bit of background: I currently own a HTC 10 with LineageOS and I am pretty happy with it. My favorite phones of all time were the Google Nexus One and The Sony Xperia Compact models. That being said I had hardware issues with ALL my Sony phones that forced me to change them after about 2.5 years.... which I find pretty disappointing.

Also I hate Samsung for doing stuff that feels exactly like Apple and as locked as Apple is... Plus, I hate the Samsung "UI". However, if the hardware is good, maybe some Samsung with a custom ROM could do the trick.

Now I am looking for a phone :
  • that is not big. I love "small" phone, I hate the feeling to carry a brick in my pocket all day ;
  • with a decent battery life, however I almost never watch video, listen to music on my phone, browse GIFs, nor I play with it ;
  • ideally I would love a notification LED with various colors, so that I quickly know what's going on (eg, received an email, a text, or missed a phone call), without having to turn on the screen. (or maybe some kind of "extra/special" display like some Windows / Lumia phone did) The Nexus did that beautifully with the little track point.
  • also, a phone that I can mod (custom ROM without Gapps), and root and possible OTA update for the custom ROM (but this might be more related to the ROM than the device itself) ;
  • finally, budget wise : under 400€ would be OK, and the cheaper the better

Many thanks for your help.
4th July 2019, 09:25 AM |#11620  
Thanks Meter: 53

More
Hi, I've got a question. Currently I'm using OnePlus 3 and I'm wondering which phone would be good to buy next. Main things I'd like from that phone would be: speed and fluidity, good support (long support from OEM and nice stuff from developers here), I'd like battery to be not that tragic (I suspect that there is no phone with great battery and everything else I'd like, bit I'd like to have at least 4 hrs sot), it would be nice to have notification led or some sort of notifications (always on or something else), jack 3,5 would be a nice addition but is not that necessary and lastly I'd like the phone to not be bloated by unnecessary stuff (I want it to be fast and smooth and be like that all the time so that I won't have to factory reset from time to time).
Any idea which phone would be good and would be worth switching from my op3?
Thanks
4th July 2019, 12:19 PM |#11621  
Thanks Meter: 227

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by trawel

Hi, I've got a question. Currently I'm using OnePlus 3 and I'm wondering which phone would be good to buy next. Main things I'd like from that phone would be: speed and fluidity, good support (long support from OEM and nice stuff from developers here), I'd like battery to be not that tragic (I suspect that there is no phone with great battery and everything else I'd like, bit I'd like to have at least 4 hrs sot), it would be nice to have notification led or some sort of notifications (always on or something else), jack 3,5 would be a nice addition but is not that necessary and lastly I'd like the phone to not be bloated by unnecessary stuff (I want it to be fast and smooth and be like that all the time so that I won't have to factory reset from time to time).
Any idea which phone would be good and would be worth switching from my op3?
Thanks

I had over 6 hours screen on time with my OnePlus 5 and only 5 hours with my current pixel XL (used the OnePlus 5 for 2 years and accidentally took it in the ocean with me - now it's dead obviously).

I'd go with a OnePlus 5t or 6 but you didn't mention a budget. I found at least locally OnePlus phones are hard to find and hold their value well. After 2 years I couldn't afford to buy any OnePlus newer than I already had so I decided to try a Galaxy s8 (didn't like it after using the OnePlus for 2 years) and then went with the pixel XL and had to downgrade a generation for price reasons and to keep the headphone jack.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)