FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,560 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,272

By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 21st August 2012, 11:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
28th August 2019, 01:10 PM |#11721  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestone_cz

Hi to all, any suggestion to small phone, max 135-140 mm height, approximately 5", Android based, min. 3 GB RAM? Thanks alot for possible feedback.

Since nowadays most phones are beyond 6 inches, I could recommend Samsung S6 or S7

---------- Post added at 01:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdawg

Needs:
Rootable
Vanilla Android
Sprint
Replaceable Battery
SD Card

1-2 options. Not looking for expensive, but I do not really care about specs because I do not use android as a computer, just a phone. The area I am in has no 5g...

Anyone know if I can take advantage of the $25 kick start plan, and hotspot (hack) that thing to use sprint data for anything?

You could go for Samsung S8. It has a plethora of custom roms. Replaceable battery in 2019? Surely a myth.
29th August 2019, 01:47 PM |#11722  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Headphone Jack
MUST HAVE Micro SD slot OR it will have to have 512gb or 1Tb models available (probably more than $600??)
6-8gb RAM
OLED
Decent battery
Android 9
A decent radio and reception (why i didn't get the Samsung A50/A70) *ATT*

In the $300-$500 range would be nice.

EDIT: i often work out side of cell and internet reception and my music collection alone is 220+ GB
30th August 2019, 01:35 AM |#11723  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Can anyone suggest a smartphone that can be used both in USA and Canada? Huawei brand preferred.
30th August 2019, 06:43 AM |#11724  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoublejj

Headphone Jack
MUST HAVE Micro SD slot OR it will have to have 512gb or 1Tb models available (probably more than $600??)
6-8gb RAM
OLED
Decent battery
Android 9
A decent radio and reception (why i didn't get the Samsung A50/A70) *ATT*

In the $300-$500 range would be nice.

Mate, 512 GB on mobile seems a waste of money. I only got 64 and just on one occasion were they fully used, in 3 years.

You could go with the OnePlus 7 Pro, the 12 GB of ram version. It has 256 GB of storage

---------- Post added at 06:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by colaxda

Can anyone suggest a smartphone that can be used both in USA and Canada? Huawei brand preferred.

Well, the OnePlus 7 pro works nicely in both USA and Canada (https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency...oneplus-7-pro)
30th August 2019, 02:16 PM |#11725  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raresh T

Mate, 512 GB on mobile seems a waste of money. I only got 64 and just on one occasion were they fully used, in 3 years.

You could go with the OnePlus 7 Pro, the 12 GB of ram version. It has 256 GB of storage

---------- Post added at 06:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 AM ----------

Well, the OnePlus 7 pro works nicely in both USA and Canada (https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency...oneplus-7-pro)

I looked at one plus no SD card slot. I often work outside of cell and internet/wifi reception and my MP3 collection is 220+ GB alone.
30th August 2019, 03:08 PM |#11726  

More
Quote:

I looked at one plus no SD card slot. I often work outside of cell and internet/wifi reception and my MP3 collection is 220+ GB alone.

You could go with S9+. Also, another tip, using the M4A instead of MP3 keeps the quality while reducing the size by half.
30th August 2019, 07:23 PM |#11727  

More
well the S9+ does tick all the boxes and it's not $800 and it's only a year old
30th August 2019, 07:50 PM |#11728  

More
Quote:

well the S9+ does tick all the boxes and it's not $800 and it's only a year old

Indeed. Word of advice, most of the time go with flagships. There's a higher chance to have reliable custom roms (Operating System) than other versions, like A60 and so.

For example, my 2015 Samsung S6 runs a Android 9 custom rom. There's a high chance I could run Android Q as well.
31st August 2019, 06:32 AM |#11729  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raresh T

Indeed. Word of advice, most of the time go with flagships. There's a higher chance to have reliable custom roms (Operating System) than other versions, like A60 and so.

For example, my 2015 Samsung S6 runs a Android 9 custom rom. There's a high chance I could run Android Q as well.

i considered my oneplus x a mid range but, OP is known for allowing unlocked boot loaders it's shame they are anti SD card and headphone jack and only sell 128gb phones. the S9+ fits the bill it's no more than 1 year old and definitely under $800
1st September 2019, 03:52 AM |#11730  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Needs:
Rootable (and can use xposed/magisk)
Two sim card slots
SD card slot if possible (it can't replace one of the sim card slots)
If no SD card slot then at least 64gb of space
Decent battery
About $500/600 (Canadian)
Most importantly a very good camera

The only reservation that I would have in buying any phone is a Huawei phone (due to the ban) as I ma unsure if it would effect anything in the future.
1st September 2019, 09:16 AM |#11731  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMurph

Needs:
Rootable (and can use xposed/magisk)
Two sim card slots
SD card slot if possible (it can't replace one of the sim card slots)
If no SD card slot then at least 64gb of space
Decent battery
About $500/600 (Canadian)
Most importantly a very good camera

The only reservation that I would have in buying any phone is a Huawei phone (due to the ban) as I ma unsure if it would effect anything in the future.

Samsung S9 Plus
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)