FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,560 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,272

By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 21st August 2012, 11:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
14th September 2019, 08:44 PM |#11761  
Forum Moderator
Flag Establishing Battlefield Control... Standby!
Thanks Meter: 7,854

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoublejj

isn't AOSP a piece of crap? it never worked right for me on my OPX? Textran ever seemed to get messages and the open source texting app is wacky and glitchy? Maybe a flag ship gets more dev time?

Nope that's totally false.

LineageOS works perfectly on the OnePlus X. So does AOSPextended ROM.

Now I have been using AICP on my Essential Phone for almost a year and couldn't be happier. I will never go back to stock from custom ROMs, even if the battery is better on Stock and I get all the latest updates immediately.

You can easily look through various Forums on XDA to find out more about what kind of dev support each device has.

Sent from my mata using Thebear Blue XDA Labs
The Following User Says Thank You to CamoGeko For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift CamoGeko Ad-Free
15th September 2019, 09:17 PM |#11762  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoGeko

Nope that's totally false.

LineageOS works perfectly on the OnePlus X. So does AOSPextended ROM.

Now I have been using AICP on my Essential Phone for almost a year and couldn't be happier. I will never go back to stock from custom ROMs, even if the battery is better on Stock and I get all the latest updates immediately.

You can easily look through various Forums on XDA to find out more about what kind of dev support each device has.

Sent from my mata using Thebear Blue XDA Labs

it's glitchy as all hell on my OPX, also there are no OS updates, are those handled by some ASOP updater?

EDIT: Lineage no longer supports OPX
16th September 2019, 02:48 AM |#11763  

More
Well turns out the S9+ cant NOT be rooted if it's a US model!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fx8sD8yqpw

OH MY GOD!!!! IT does NOT support adopted storage, i just waste like $800 USD holy crap i hope i can send this garbage back!!!!!!

https://www.samsung.com/nz/support/m...orage-feature/

---------- Post added at 01:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raresh T

You could go with S9+. Also, another tip, using the M4A instead of MP3 keeps the quality while reducing the size by half.

just bought i have it, and its an absolute waste of money, stuck on android 8 save for select models, can't be rooted, no adopted storage, stuck facebook and other apps, the edges aren't very nice. has to shrink the screen for one handed mode. no hardware buttons and i haven't even had it out for an hour. think i have to send it back or try to get my money out of it. i'm going to try and force my self to use it for a day or 3, it's fast but, OMG you GIVE UP SO MUCHH!!!!
16th September 2019, 07:14 AM |#11764  
Thanks Meter: 29

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoublejj

just bought i have it, and its an absolute waste of money, stuck on android 8 save for select models, can't be rooted, no adopted storage, stuck facebook and other apps, the edges aren't very nice. has to shrink the screen for one handed mode. no hardware buttons and i haven't even had it out for an hour. think i have to send it back or try to get my money out of it. i'm going to try and force my self to use it for a day or 3, it's fast but, OMG you GIVE UP SO MUCHH!!!!

Sorry to hear that mate, but seems to me you didn't made your homework before throwing money on a phone. You didn't even searched some pictures about it? I mean you are complaining about the size and lack of hardware buttons after buying the phone! When I bought my phone (galaxy s6) , I even sent a few messages to some s6 users asking questions. On a side note, root access is difficult to obtain. Not impossible.
17th September 2019, 02:48 AM |#11765  

More
Quote:

Sorry to hear that mate, but seems to me you didn't made your homework before throwing money on a phone. You didn't even searched some pictures about it? I mean you are complaining about the size and lack of hardware buttons after buying the phone! When I bought my phone (galaxy s6) , I even sent a few messages to some s6 users asking questions. On a side note, root access is difficult to obtain. Not impossible.

I expected that was standard i didn't realize how pampered i was with One Plus, the biggest grip is adopted storage and not lock screen gesture like one Plus, it's crying shame ONe Plus does not sell 256gb phones with SD card. i think this may have been the saving grace here. I i assumed all android phone with pie had adopted storage i did not know samsung whent out of their way to pull adopted storage. also thought the best most popular phones could be rooted, had no idea samsung held such following with unrootable phones. had no idea the S9+ varied so widely! that's crazy part some of these could be different model like s9 vs s9+ but, the + alone have about 4 or variants and notably different too!

It sure isn't slow, also kind of unwieldy BUT, is a single gesture for one handed mode then double tap back to full screen. if someone ever figure out how to root it that would be a big step up with magisk! I guess in the end phones have changed OR maybe now that i can afford nicer tech i'm making assumptions. Found out the hardway on my OLED TV too.
21st September 2019, 02:01 AM |#11766  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
This is a bit random and I apologize if it's in the wrong forum, not sure where else to post.

I've been using a Droid Razr M (XT907) for .. I don't know, maybe 5 years now. I unlocked the bootloader early on, was running Cyanogen for a while but updated to crDroid about 2 years ago. The phone still works great and I actually have an exact backup, same model and everything in case my daily one gets ruined for whatever reason -- It was literally $20 on eBay.

Now, I'm kind of in the market for another phone because this is a bit dated and a few apps are no longer supported on 7.1, not to mention there are a few minor bugs with the ROM itself, though insignificant enough to where I've learned to just live with them.

My question is basically.. what's out there (eBay, swappa, etc) that I can get for $75 or less that has an easily unlockable bootloader for custom ROMs and supports Android 8.0 or higher? I don't use phones the way most people do -- No Google maps (honestly avoid using GPS entirely now that I think of it..) No Facebook app, rarely Snapchat, etc. Just looking for something pretty basic that I can install a custom ROM on for less than $75 bucks

Any suggestions?

Again I'm currently using an XT907 comfortably so the bar (performance-wise) is pretty low, lol. Thanks in advance.
22nd September 2019, 05:35 AM |#11767  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
What Models Are Rootable?
I need to get a couple rootable phones for cheap. Im thinking some cheap prepaid ones from walmart or walgreens. doesnt matter what carrier, I wont actually be using the cell service.

So, Does anyone know what devices are easy to root and if there is a root walkthrough for them? I have only rooted 1 phone so am not very expirienced, but can follow directions.
22nd September 2019, 04:49 PM |#11768  
Thanks Meter: 85

More
Guys, I'm still not sure which device to choose. My budget is around $350 (Indian price). I'm looking for a phone which should be able to use for at least two years from now with custom ROM support. My list is like OnePlus 6T, 7 (but no custom ROM support), S9+, etc. I don't mind if it doesn't have 3.5mm jack. Also no need of SD card etc. But the RAM should be at least 6GB. Which one is better, 6T or 7? Or any other?
22nd September 2019, 09:35 PM |#11769  
Thanks Meter: 29

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProoN

This is a bit random and I apologize if it's in the wrong forum, not sure where else to post.

I've been using a Droid Razr M (XT907) for .. I don't know, maybe 5 years now. I unlocked the bootloader early on, was running Cyanogen for a while but updated to crDroid about 2 years ago. The phone still works great and I actually have an exact backup, same model and everything in case my daily one gets ruined for whatever reason -- It was literally $20 on eBay.

Now, I'm kind of in the market for another phone because this is a bit dated and a few apps are no longer supported on 7.1, not to mention there are a few minor bugs with the ROM itself, though insignificant enough to where I've learned to just live with them.

My question is basically.. what's out there (eBay, swappa, etc) that I can get for $75 or less that has an easily unlockable bootloader for custom ROMs and supports Android 8.0 or higher? I don't use phones the way most people do -- No Google maps (honestly avoid using GPS entirely now that I think of it..) No Facebook app, rarely Snapchat, etc. Just looking for something pretty basic that I can install a custom ROM on for less than $75 bucks

Any suggestions?

Again I'm currently using an XT907 comfortably so the bar (performance-wise) is pretty low, lol. Thanks in advance.

you could go with Samsung Galaxy S3 or S4. seems the S3 has a custom rom with Pie in alpha. who knows, maybe you even get Android 10
22nd September 2019, 11:35 PM |#11770  
Thanks Meter: 1,736

More
Quote:

you could go with Samsung Galaxy S3 or S4. seems the S3 has a custom rom with Pie in alpha. who knows, maybe you even get Android 10

my s3 (bought when released) is still up and running. but still on KK because thats what i prefer. also bootloader was unlocked when bought. awwww , those were the days.

err on the side of kindness
The Following User Says Thank You to mrrocketdog For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mrrocketdog Ad-Free
23rd September 2019, 04:52 AM |#11771  
Thanks Meter: 149

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by terky69

I need to get a couple rootable phones for cheap. Im thinking some cheap prepaid ones from walmart or walgreens. doesnt matter what carrier, I wont actually be using the cell service.

So, Does anyone know what devices are easy to root and if there is a root walkthrough for them? I have only rooted 1 phone so am not very expirienced, but can follow directions.

Do some research! Look at phones you may want to buy and then see if there are forums here with rooting information.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)