By mikereidis, Inactive Recognized Developer on 1st May 2011, 09:23 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
8th May 2011, 11:13 PM |#81  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thumbs up Great work
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereidis

Yes, install the update. It should fix the issue (I hope). Now when radio power goes of the volume buttons should revert to the default (likely ringer volume).

I WAS talking about those 3 (or 4) Androd system volume controls. The ringer volume there SHOULD have worked around this problem.

I'm on the 2.0.8 (from the market), the volume issue is solved, sweet!

RDS is working, just wondering what are the letters i get below the 4 bars.
Also i see there is already TPY on the right.

Not sure how the scan should work

BTW, keep going best FM app! Gonna buy the donate version for sure.

8th May 2011, 11:15 PM |#82  
Flag Aalborg
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:

PTY and RT are there already. Some stations don't transmit PTY (or RT or whatever they please). RT is the longest data type at 64 bytes, and the code needs to see the same string twice to consider it valid and display it. If you have a high RDS error rate, or the station changes RT too often, or their encoder is funky, you may never see RT.

RDS locations in app:

PI : At left below RSSI (signal strenth bars) and above frequency down button.
PT: At same height as PI but on right side below where the "Stereo" indicator was in prior releases.
PS: Top middle between RSSI and "Stereo" indicator,
RT: 3 lines below frequency and above preset section.

Sounds great. I haven't seen anything but the PS information in your application, even though I know that more stations in my area send both RT and PT but I guess I will have to test it outside to see if I can get a better signal then.
Thanks for your answer!
8th May 2011, 11:54 PM |#83  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Quote:

But due to IMO the virtually insurmountable technical challenges of making FM recording work, I am unlikely to add it anytime soon. Even if I got it working on one or some phones with much work, many other phones would likely not have this feature.

But I've read MANY threads where this subject was brought up and considered a useful feature. Many people, especially the less technical, still listen to airwave radio, instead of MP3/audio players or streaming stations.

If they get a phone call, they may want to pause the music or talk show etc. If they want to play a favourite song or show for a friend, they could do so. They many never download a song and may not know how, nor want to learn. A simple record button would be wonderful for them, especially if it could break up the songs and automatically title them from RDS data.
My greatest desire right now is to support as many popular devices as possible, especially those running stock ROMs (the majority). But features like RDS could put my app ahead of stock apps like the one from HTC.

You are probably right. Especially with the last one: best and (for now) unique FM RDS Radio. I wished I could push your app on the (German) market ...

If you want to offer a paid version as well - differences between free -> paid could be:
- store more than xx stations
- the desired recording functionality
- skins / skinning
- streaming radio -> one app for all radio-listening
- something more in my mind ...

Anyway, I hope you keep a well featured free version as well.
9th May 2011, 01:13 AM |#84  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
Thanks Meter: 4,164

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorino86

I'm on the 2.0.8 (from the market), the volume issue is solved, sweet!

RDS is working, just wondering what are the letters i get below the 4 bars.
Also i see there is already TPY on the right.

Not sure how the scan should work

BTW, keep going best FM app! Gonna buy the donate version for sure.

Great !

3 or 4 letters under signal bars should be a US callsign, starting with W or K I should disable that for regions outside North America and just show the number. There's also a few databases on the Internet I might hook into.

Long press (hold for 1/2 second or more) the frequency up/down buttons to seek to the next strong station. As I say, broken on Broadcom in v2.0.8 and should be fixed in next.
9th May 2011, 01:35 AM |#85  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoHias

differences between free -> paid could be:
- store more than xx stations
- the desired recording functionality
- skins / skinning
- streaming radio -> one app for all radio-listening

Thanks for your thoughts. Warning: no particularly useful app info in this post:

Recording won't be done unless I can find an easy way. If anyone can point me to an app or phone that does it, or can help me get it working on some phone, then I will re-consider.

Skinning should be more or less possible now, without access to my source code, by modifying the XML files in my APK. I might document this so others can try. I'm all for anything that can allow users to modify and improve so that I can concentrate on the harder or core parts.

IMO a free version should use all the things that are different between phones, so I get plenty of feedback on what works and what doesn't.

For example, both versions would use the back/pause/forward buttons on HTC or other earphone cables. A free version might map those buttons to volume and mute. A pay version may allow configuring the mapping to the same or to next/previous station or whatever.

My biggest challenges are at least some of the reasons why Google hasn't produced an FM app (and may never?). Ideally these could be solved for all phone and ROM combinations without root/SuperUser:

(1) Audio routing

(2) FM chip access, provided by HCI access for TI and Broadcom chips.

I'm hoping I can get assistance from others to help solve these problems on various phone/ROM combos. Thus a free app that uses these features is essential.

BUT, once the hard part of getting, for example, BT HCI access, is done, it's relatively easy to have universal TI and Broadcom code using that API. And a paid app could offer more features, like transmitting perhaps that use the same HCI interface for basic functions like power on/off or tuning.
9th May 2011, 06:27 AM |#86  
Android Hell
Thanks Meter: 138

More
Ok I get you now I know why the dsp manager (cyanogenmod) doesn't effect audio from radio. If you get the audio to rout there would be cool possibility to get audio effects to work on FM like bass treble etc etc... Or can the equilizer be implimented internally.

Tip:There r call recorders which can record audio maybe we can get hint from it. As soon as I get time I m gonna decompile one such app and will post something usefully.
Is the lib file mikersmicros.... compiled from scratch with source code? Edit: ofcourse you have sorry.

Sent from my LG-P500 using XDA Premium App
9th May 2011, 07:42 AM |#87  
Flag Melbourne, Oz
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Unhappy Any chance of getting this to work with MIUI GB
Hi,

Talbess here from miui-au.

just wondering if you are able to get Spirit Radio working with MIUI GB release. The FM radio has been absent from all MIUI GB releases as is hcitool.

I have tried putting hcitool back but it won't run and when I install Spirit Radio it doesn't connect to anything.

Just wondering if its some other missing modules or is it something MIUI have removed from CM7 that is stopping it.

Thanks
9th May 2011, 09:17 AM |#88  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4silvertooth

Ok I get you now I know why the dsp manager (cyanogenmod) doesn't effect audio from radio. If you get the audio to rout there would be cool possibility to get audio effects to work on FM like bass treble etc etc... Or can the equilizer be implimented internally.

Tip:There r call recorders which can record audio maybe we can get hint from it. As soon as I get time I m gonna decompile one such app and will post something usefully.
Is the lib file mikersmicros.... compiled from scratch with source code? Edit: ofcourse you have sorry.

Sent from my LG-P500 using XDA Premium App

Yes, the audio path in use is the same the HTC FM app uses. It's analog from the BT/FM chip through where-ever eventually on to the speaker or headphones. It seems to be a "special" path and can result in two audio streams mixing without regard for each other.

Yes, DSP stuff and VU meters etc would be wonderful if possible.

Yes, I stumbled across a thread where some hack is used for 2 way voice call recording. Maybe...

Yes libmikersmicros_fm.so is compiled C code via the NDK. Most of my audio routing code is in the Java app, and modelled after the routing code in the CM FM app. But there is still some code in the lib that writes to /sys/devices/virtual/htc_accessory/fm/flag, which does nothing on CM, but works on stock ROMs. Also an ioctl to /dev/msm_snd but that is disabled by default now since CM supports the routing now.
9th May 2011, 09:36 AM |#89  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbes

Hi,

Talbess here from miui-au.

just wondering if you are able to get Spirit Radio working with MIUI GB release. The FM radio has been absent from all MIUI GB releases as is hcitool.

I have tried putting hcitool back but it won't run and when I install Spirit Radio it doesn't connect to anything.

Just wondering if its some other missing modules or is it something MIUI have removed from CM7 that is stopping it.

Thanks

Hi Talbess. I haven't tried, but I hope it's possible some how.

Some time back I tried to get hciattach, hcitool etc running on a sense ROM (Blayo) based on the stock HTC ROM for the Legend, but I was not successful after a few days of trying. I'm not too experienced with the innards of Bluetooth however.

Basically, I just need some way to get direct HCI access, even if root is required (but preferably not).

I trawled through MANY threads over many days trying to find someone who managed to do this on Android but found nothing. Supposedly the PyBluez guys did it, but I tried their scripts and they didn't work, except I think on CM with root. I tried some fancy tricks with the handles from the Java BT APIs but no go.

Even on CM, from NDK code I could not access the parts of HCI I needed. Android seemed to let me run the equivalent of "hcitool cmd 4 1" (Get BT version), but wouldn't allow me to talk to the FM.

I WAS able to write a daemon that could be started by my app, and the daemon could talk directly to the Bluez stack and FM just fine. But this only worked on CM, and with root to install the daemon (Although I think I know the trick to avoid this now).

AFAICT, hcitool is pretty simple and just talks directly to the libbluetooth stack like my daemon did. So if it won't run, then my daemon wouldn't either. I considered D-Bus APIs but never looked too far into it and couldn't see any HCI api there.

But assuming we have root and can modify the kernel or whatever, there has to be a way to do this.

Over the next few days I'm going to put a stock, or other Sense ROM back on my Desire HD and will be looking for some way to get my app running there. If anyone can recommend a Sense/Stock like ROM suitable for this, please let me know.

Perhaps I'll find some way for stock and hopefully your MIUI GB as well.
9th May 2011, 09:57 AM |#90  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:

3 or 4 letters under signal bars should be a US callsign, starting with W or K I should disable that for regions outside North America and just show the number. There's also a few databases on the Internet I might hook into.

Yeah, sorry, didn't see the post where you were explaining all the PT, PI, PS stuff
Btw, I'm getting a code starting with K.

Quote:

Long press (hold for 1/2 second or more) the frequency up/down buttons to seek to the next strong station. As I say, broken on Broadcom in v2.0.8 and should be fixed in next.

Ah, ok, 'cuz it finds the next station but sometimes when i tap "stop" it goes back to the starting station, but I think you already know.
9th May 2011, 09:58 AM |#91  

Donate to Me
More
https://market.android.com/details?i...ikersmicros.fm

v2.0.9.

- Seeks at end of band should wrap around automatically.
- Fixed some seek problems. Seek (via long press of frequency up/down) may still occasionally hang. If so, press "Cancel" and retry.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
spirit fm radio receiver ota

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)