[Device is unlocked][Video Added] Bootloader Unlock Tool Released [25.7.2012]

Search This thread

Davest010

Sep 20, 2012
The original issue a lot of people had was fixed a while back. It seems as though there's another batch with the same problem again. ASUS has stated they are going to support fixing those that are not able to unlock, but I believe you have to RMA it.

All ASUS will tell me is that they don't support the unlock app. Not sure how that can be, as it's an advertised feature, the app comes from them, and it connects to their servers to complete the process.

I actually went back to Best Buy and exchanged the tablet (I was running up against my 30 days), and the new one has the same issue.

Is anyone else out there having this problem?

Davest010

Sep 20, 2012
All ASUS will tell me is that they don't support the unlock app. Not sure how that can be, as it's an advertised feature, the app comes from them, and it connects to their servers to complete the process.

I actually went back to Best Buy and exchanged the tablet (I was running up against my 30 days), and the new one has the same issue.

Is anyone else out there having this problem?

Resolved. I guess I'd finally made myself annoying enough to Asus support that they fixed the issue for me.

mbiggs31183

Aug 2, 2011
I too am having issues. I bought my tablet yesterday from BestBuy and it won't let me unlock it either. Couldn't have anything to do with the fact that I removed the CMClient and DMClient apk files, could it? My serial starts with C8OK

Pretoriano80

Jun 9, 2010
I too am having issues. I bought my tablet yesterday from BestBuy and it won't let me unlock it either. Couldn't have anything to do with the fact that I removed the CMClient and DMClient apk files, could it? My serial starts with C8OK

Those services are needed in order to communicate with Asus server, so yes, this will also affect the unlock process.

If you still can, put the client files back and just freeze them with titanium backup until your ready to download the FOTA. (I only freeze the DMClient) That's the first thing I do after getting a new tablet from Asus. Geez, I can't believe I'm saying that but having to repeatably exchange Asus tablets until I get an acceptable build make that the norm for me.

ScottHW

Sep 23, 2010
Can't Unlock

I am still having trouble unlocking my TF700. I am currently running a stock ROM, which I have sense rooted.

When I run the Unlock Device Tool, I get

"an unknown error occurs, which maybe a network connection issue.
please wait and try again later''

I had removed CMClient and DMClient (via file renaming). When I put them back, made no difference.

The system automatically tries to download an update, ~11MB which I assume is the .30 update. I want to have NVFlash access, so clearly I don't what that update.

My plan is
  • Unlock
  • NVFlash (replaces bootloader)
  • Replace recovery with TWRP
  • Sideload the OTA update V10.4.4.16 (which is Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean)

This tablet originally had an Eng build on it from BestBuy
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1824531

Also, my Serial Number is currently reported as
unknown

But most comments state that the SN is not involved in the Unlock process.

If the SN is a problem, I can look here
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1447760
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1815186
Or learn about the "ratchet fix"....

I saw this thread, but it looks like it was mostly related to an old issue which has been resolved
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1816849

Last edited:

jokapo

Mar 15, 2009
Hi there,

My TF700 finally arrived this week so now i can start.

When i booted for the 1st time N00B as I am immediately started updating to JB so now i dont really know how to get started unlocking the bootloader and after that installing NVflash.

I have read and searched along the forum but all methods are referring to ICS builds and not JB.

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
If you accepted the Jelly Bean update, you will *not* be able to save the files needed in order to use NVFlash. You *must* be on the ICS .26 firmware (or earlier). If you install the ICS .30 firmware or the Jelly Bean firmware, you cannot save the files needed for NVFlash. Period.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

jokapo

Mar 15, 2009
Then i guess i will have to wait untill there will be a workaround.

But can i still unlock my TF700??

Getting back to .30 als is not possible because of not being unlocked if i have read it correct!

Edit!!!!

Unlocking JB with Asus ICS unlockingtool worked for me

Last edited:

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
Cool! Glad you were able to unlock easily (without having to revert to ICS first). I wasn't sure if the unlock tool worked on Jellybean or not - thanks for confirming that it does work!

jokapo

Mar 15, 2009
You're welcome :)

I can get back to .30 firmware can downgrade even further to .26 when I'm on .30?
If this would work can i install nvflash and then start upgrading to JB

Sorry if I sound to N00B but Im doing it step by step coz i aint used of flashing on a tablet yet. Only used to flash my galaxy S.

Ow and yes i am reading and searching otherwise i would put down my question

Last edited:

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
You're welcome :)

I can get back to .30 firmware can downgrade even further to .26 when I'm on .30?
If this would work can i install nvflash and then start upgrading to JB

Sorry if I sound to N00B but Im doing it step by step coz i aint used of flashing on a tablet yet. Only used to flash my galaxy S.

Ow and yes i am reading and searching otherwise i would put down my question

My understanding is there is simply is no way to save the needed NVFlash files once you've upgraded past the .26 firmware. I guess it's just not possible to downgrade the .26 bootloader. Can someone please confirm that?

Thanks.

pyinyeinaung

Mar 14, 2012
Unlock stuck @ connection failure

my unlock steps stuck @ connection needed step.. my wifi got a good connection and it's fail to open email address. how to fix.. that app really work?? or why? help pls

y2012

Aug 25, 2012
I used the unlock app on JB and it supposedly worked. The message "your device is now unlocked" or something similar was displayed.

My questions are:

1) How can I be sure my device is unlocked?
2) Is all the fuss about the .30 upgrade concerns nvflash only and not unlocking in general?
3) Would I be able to use custom ROMs in the future? Is there specific tools I will need to achieve that?

P.S. I use GNU/Linux on the desktop. I have both the SDK and the NDK installed. I already use adb sometimes and I know my way around CLI environments. I'm just new to Android and all the vendor lock-ins.

JAWyered

Jul 8, 2011
Houston
Warning!

I unlocked my bootloader right after getting the tablet and right now feeling remorse.

The problem is there is no way to re-lock the bootloader, which is frustrating. I also have never done this on a tablet, but didn't see any reason for it to be different than a phone. I've unlocked and flashed many a phone for the past 5 years or so, but never ran or heard of one that couldn't be restored to stock if need be. Why this tablet

I was feeling a lot of praise toward ASUS for providing the freedom of an official unlock tool, but now I feel like that was a trap and I was caught.

I am used to seeing those warranty warnings, and didn't think anything of it when I voided it. I honestly don't really care about the warranty being voided, because I indeed intend to assume the responsibility of stressing the device. What is problematic about not being able to return to stock is that I can't ever return it to stock to enable OTAs in case I wanted to sell the tablet. Even worse, apparently they have enabled some way for APPS to determine if your bootloader is unlocked! Are you serious? I now can't play Hulu videos (at least with the official market app) and I have no way to rectify the issue. This is the only one I've run into, but I haven't tried HBOgo and Netflix yet. Hopefully those don't hit the same flag. I'm not even rooted and on the stock JB release, and Hulu is a no go? I use the tablet for entertainment and media consumption more than any task.

Why would ASUS offer the benefits of unlocking and needlessly penalize you for using them, with no warning of the unusual effects of doing so? I'm unlocked and rooted on my Galaxy Nexus and Hulu works fine.

Any relevant thoughts?

Edit: I would also suggest that the OP be added with a warning that it will break the Hulu app permanently.
Edit2: Hulu stopped working on my Nexus as well. I will test to see if returning to locked and stock on it will fix the app or if Hulu flagged my account.

Last edited:

bckldwn

Mar 19, 2012
Toronto
Nexus 7 (2013)
Is anyone still unable to unlock?

I'm getting "an unknown error occurs, which amy be a network
connection issue. please wait and try again later" ever since day 1; I've had this for about a month or so now.

My serial C70KAS* and I've tried everything, factory reset, wipe data, still the same thing. Any ideas?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Direct link Asus Support site

Direct Download Link DropBox:

MD5:41F99EC8404717FDFA3117FAFA01A701

asus.jpg

installation instructions:

1. Download File Asus support or DropBox

2. Save (UnLock_Device_App_V7.apk) file your device.

3. Install UnLock_Device_App_V7.apk

4. Open Device Unlocked Tool.

5. you will see Asus Conditions Scroll down and agree to the terms

6. you will see Asus Conditions "I accept" Big button "remove the device by pressing the lock"

7. Now you will see your e-mail account you will be asked to ensure that the password "ok"

8.Now Device rebooting. In the upper left corner is "Device is unlocked" to be seen

9 In the upper left corner is "Device is uncked" to be seen

[How-To-Video]

Video Added (27.7.2012) (sorry finnish language android)

Zeus
    Alright guys here's an update: I have been working on cwm all day and while I am getting closer, still not there yet. Iv also been informed something pretty awesome is gonna happen soon, so just hang tight

Sent from my htc_jewel using xda premium
    i am now working on porting cwm to this device, could be a while though as this is my first time with porting a recovery. if all goes well i will post a recovery and also a debloated rom for you guys today. wanna get this device some development immediatly!
    Victory

Hi all,
    I made it ! It took me almost 12 hours in a row but I unlocked that b*tch.
    Sorry, I'm a bit tired and it's been a really rough struggle to regain what I consider to be mine (I baught that tablet!).
    Enough, talking. Here is how I've done it.

For context, I had my TF700 in this state : Long used stock 4.1.1 with the V10.4.4.20 WW SKU Firmware.
    I couldn't get the Unlock Device App to work. Version 8 wouldn't install because of Google security checks and Version 7 wouldn't work.
    With the later, I got the "Unknown error occur.." message whatever the "Device Tracker", GMaps or whatsoever state.
    Tablet was doomed on stock locked bootloader for me :crying:
    So I took another approach as follows :

1) I wiped all it's content and making it clean as a JB "out of the box". Going into the Setting > Backup & Reset.
    From here I fully resetted the transformer. (on reboot all apps are gone, you have the starting wizard bugging you because blahblahblah... whatever it's new)
    2) I downgraded the tablet to ICS using the method here :
    "Recover /Downgrade from Jelly Bean to ICS/Clean Factory Restore with stock recovery" with this old firmware : "V9.4.5.30 Only for WW SKU (Android 4.0.3) - 2012.09.21 update"
    Warning: After downgrade was flashed, upon restart I didn't connect ANY Google services. Thought it would be harmful at first try.
    And for now don't ever upgrade back to JB (via ASUS's OTA proposal) until the whole unlock process is finished. You need ICS to unlock the bootloader in my experience!

3) Step-by-step I reconnected Google services. Only those which would made sense to unlock :
    - Connected a Google Account
    - Updated the "Android Market" to a "Google Play Store" (that comes with an automatic update, on Market app opening)
    - Updated the "Google Play Services" (This is required by the Google Device Tracker app)
    - Updated Google Maps and Google+ (Although I think those two have almost nothing to do with this whole unlocking thing)
    - Installed the "Google Device Tracker" (very important! I don't know how, but it seems the ASUS device unlocker needs this. At least it did want to work without it)
    4) I started Google Maps to get a precise GPS lock on my position (I know, it's weird).
    5) Most important step : I started the "Google Device Tracker" and got a proper fix on my position with my connected account.
    It displayed the message "In your hand", to say that the tablet is securely in my possession.
    6) I then installed ASUS's official "Unlock Device App" version 7.
    You can find it here : http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=...hashedid=fq2B3oq64av1O95u or also linked here above in post #472.
    To install it you need to allow app installs from "unkown sources" in the device settings.

When I launched the Unlock Device App I finally got a message asking me to confirm my Google Account (account connection form).
    I also had to allow less secure apps on my Google Account (https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps)
    And then voilà !
    The Google account was confirmed with a secure device (in my hands) and the device rebooted with all the great white little unlock messages at boot.

Don't forget : Stock JB > Downgrade to stock ICS > Google Device Tracker > ASUS's Unlock Device App version 7
    That's the only way I made it through after 12 hours of research and "hard" work/struggle.

No-thanks to ASUS (this process is way to complicated), No-thanks to Google for all those locks in my property (except for Android itself which all-in-all is a wonderful OS/Devices ecosystem).
    Big thanks to XDA little hands, they're the best mobile community on this planet. I make apps for a living so I mean it !
    Upgrading to custom ROMs now ...Loading... :cool:
    those links dont quite work for me but i can download it when navigating manually over the asus homepage ..

When accessing downloads i had to choose "other" under os and then i could download it