Screen wake lag - Let's solve this thing

Search This thread

Jrockttu

Nov 7, 2007
EDIT: According to garyd9, this is an Exynos issue and cannot be fixed. I believe him that this is an Exynos issue because it supports what I've seen, and he's a smart guy. I'm still holding out hope that there is some possible resolution in the future. Why else are we here if not to find ways to make our phones better, right? However, because of the nature of this issue, it's not going to be resolved by app settings, disabling apps, etc. If you don't see the lag yourself, it's because your phone isn't in deep sleep when you try to wake it.

Original Post:

Alright guys, some of you have probably noticed that this phone suffers from the wake lag that others (all Samsung?) have also suffered from.

Symptom: When you press the power or home button it takes 1-2 seconds before the screen turns on.

This DOES NOT happen when the phone is plugged in, likely because the problem is a delay getting the phone out of deep sleep. Deep sleep does not occur while the phone is plugged in.

Culprit: Anybody know? My wife's AT&T GS2 has this same problem and has with every ROM/Kernel combo I've tried (AOSP, AOKP). My Skyrocket has the issue on some of the more recent versions of Sky Jelly Bean, which I believe Sean said was a Kernel problem.

Fixes that don't work: This morning I tried the most popular suggestions:

Turn off Lock Screen Popup note
Lock Screen Ripple Effect
S-Voice home key
S-Voice Auto-start speaker
S-Voice wake up command

NONE OF THESE WORK!

So, let's band together and solve this thing. Do some tests and find something that works. Preferably, a solution that takes as little modding as possible.

Is this something that can only be solved by a customer kernel? If so, let's see if a dev is up to the task!

EDIT TO ADD: This seems to be an issue on all variations of this device. I'm searching their forums for an answer, but don't see one yet. I decided to post this here to get more eyeballs on the problem

More info from Entropy512:

To be more detailed: It seems to be specific to how Samsung wires up the modem interfaces of Exynos devices. On Exynos4 devices, they're always hung off of HSIC (a variant of USB) buses. Since HSIC is based on USB, it has the same slow suspend/resume of USB. Almost all Exynos3 devices hung the modem off of a serial port if I recall correctly, and these devices could suspend/resume much faster. If you look at a resume sequence, there are huge time gaps, and after the first 200-300 msec, almost all resume activity is modem stuff.

The only solution, unless someone figures out a way to make the HSIC resume faster (I'm not messing with it, I have enough trouble getting it not to drop the bus randomly!!!!!!!), is to inhibit deep sleep with a wakelock - but this will be bad for battery life.

Last edited:

sling

Aug 7, 2007
Va Beach / Hatteras NC
Alright guys, some of you have probably noticed that this phone suffers from the wake lag that others (all Samsung?) have also suffered from.

Symptom: When you press the power or home button it takes 1-2 seconds before the screen turns on.

This DOES NOT happen when the phone is plugged in, likely because the problem is a delay getting the phone out of deep sleep. Deep sleep does not occur while the phone is plugged in.

Culprit: Anybody know? My wife's AT&T GS2 has this same problem and has with every ROM/Kernel combo I've tried (AOSP, AOKP). My Skyrocket has the issue on some of the more recent versions of Sky Jelly Bean, which I believe Sean said was a Kernel problem.

S-Voice home key
S-Voice wake up command

NONE OF THESE WORK!

So, let's band together and solve this thing. Do some tests and find something that works. Preferably, a solution that takes as little modding as possible.

Is this something that can only be solved by a customer kernel? If so, let's see if a dev is up to the task!
I'm not feeling major sleep lag on att , Sprints on the other hand was pretty bad with 2-3 sec delay

u921333

Dec 3, 2009
Ohio
Simple soft locker from market... doesnt seem to effect battery. Try it out works great

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

Jrockttu

Nov 7, 2007
Simple soft locker from market... doesnt seem to effect battery. Try it out works great

The app creates a partial wakelock, so it will affect battery. A wakelock will keep the phone from going into deep sleep, which is what extends Android phone battery life. With such a large battery, it won't be as noticeable on this phone, but it still has substantial negative effects.

RMXO

Feb 20, 2011
CA

S-Voice home key
S-Voice wake up command

NONE OF THESE WORK!

EDIT TO ADD: This seems to be an issue on all variations of this device. I'm searching their forums for an answer, but don't see one yet. I decided to post this here to get more eyeballs on the problem.

I have everything that you have listed except Turn off screen popup mode & I have no lag at all.

garyd9

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
It's a side effect of the exynos SOC. You can't "fix" it. It just takes about 800ms to wake from deep sleep.

u921333

Dec 3, 2009
Ohio
The app creates a partial wakelock, so it will affect battery. A wakelock will keep the phone from going into deep sleep, which is what extends Android phone battery life. With such a large battery, it won't be as noticeable on this phone, but it still has substantial negative effects.

I have used it on my galaxy s2 and my international galaxy s3 without seeing any negative battery issues. Now granted it has to have some effect but even with the not so great life on s2 wasnt noticeable. Try it out and see if it works for you. I was skeptical at first.

daddymatt

It is in fact S-Voice.. completely remove it from the Note and you will remove the lag.. this has been an issue with virtually every device with S-Voice... I bet there will be a bebloated ROM come along in the next day or 2 and itll fix it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium

u921333

Dec 3, 2009
Ohio
I dont but I do know my galaxy s3 had it even when I was on aokp.

Jrockttu

Nov 7, 2007
It is in fact S-Voice.. completely remove it from the Note and you will remove the lag.. this has been an issue with virtually every device with S-Voice... I bet there will be a bebloated ROM come along in the next day or 2 and itll fix it.

Like the poster above this says, my wife's Galaxy S2 has the lag on AOKP and AOSP based roms that do not have S-Voice. As much as I don't want to believe it, Gary is likely right that it's an exynos issue. I was just hoping that it could be solved through a kernel.

Tested it for ****s and giggles, definitely not S-Voice. I disabled it and restarted phone. Let it settle about a minute from start up, opened BetterBatteryStats to CPU state screen and looked at the "deep sleep" state. Turned screen off for a few seconds, lagged, checked deep sleep state to make sure it had increased (ensuring it was recovering from deep sleep). This is the simple method to test any of these supposed fixes that people say will solve the laggy wake.

Anybody that says their phone doesn't lag when they wake up the screen is likely because they're looking at it while they're charging it, they're playing music, they have an active notification, or they're turning it off and back on really quick. All of these prevent the phone from deep sleeping. Deep sleep is what causes the issue.

Last edited:

jbeef86

May 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
I had lag on my Note I whenever it would deep sleep on any Rom. This only happened when I had Wi-Fi off when sleeping. When I turned Wi-Fi on all the time lag was gone. Not a clean battery friendly fix but the lag was driving me crazier than charging the battery a little sooner.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

daillcyruz

Oct 8, 2007
Central Jersey
I have the att version and I was just wondering...the same thing...I am willing..to try anything...I mean it sucks just waiting a little bit. I was just waiting for a new rom

truth77

Feb 28, 2012
Ft Lauderdale

I would have to say this is true. I've seen people do this in videos and it seems to work. They say its the wake looking and checking to see if you held the button or double clicked it that will solves this problem. Are there any other settings that control the home button settings like how you show recent apps or s-voice?

Jrockttu

Nov 7, 2007
I would have to say this is true. I've seen people do this in videos and it seems to work. They say its the wake looking and checking to see if you held the button or double clicked it that will solves this problem. Are there any other settings that control the home button settings like how you show recent apps or s-voice?

The only thing disabling S-Voice does is make your Home key work faster once the phone is already on because it's not waiting to see if you're double tapping it. S-Voice has no impact on the wake issue.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is amazing.

It's not from SVoice, its not from any app, its not from android, its not from pink elephants, and not from dirty underwear. It's a side effect of the processor. It's existed on every single exynos processor and the best kernel developers haven't managed to work around it (and we have tried.)

You might lesson the impact, but it's still there. You CAN'T make it go away unless you prevent the processor from going into deep sleep.

To be more detailed: It seems to be specific to how Samsung wires up the modem interfaces of Exynos devices. On Exynos4 devices, they're always hung off of HSIC (a variant of USB) buses. Since HSIC is based on USB, it has the same slow suspend/resume of USB. Almost all Exynos3 devices hung the modem off of a serial port if I recall correctly, and these devices could suspend/resume much faster. If you look at a resume sequence, there are huge time gaps, and after the first 200-300 msec, almost all resume activity is modem stuff.

The only solution, unless someone figures out a way to make the HSIC resume faster (I'm not messing with it, I have enough trouble getting it not to drop the bus randomly!!!!!!!), is to inhibit deep sleep with a wakelock - but this will be bad for battery life.
    This is amazing.

It's not from SVoice, its not from any app, its not from android, its not from pink elephants, and not from dirty underwear. It's a side effect of the processor. It's existed on every single exynos processor and the best kernel developers haven't managed to work around it (and we have tried.)

You might lesson the impact, but it's still there. You CAN'T make it go away unless you prevent the processor from going into deep sleep.
    It's a side effect of the exynos SOC. You can't "fix" it. It just takes about 800ms to wake from deep sleep.

800ms???? No way can I wait that long:p lol jk

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    So #firstworldproblem it hurts.

800ms to 1 second to wake the device out of deep sleep. HORRABEL!
    Hi, Galaxy S3 (international) user here ... so AFAIK we share the same ****ty Exynos <-> modem thingy

How come it looks like customers don't care. like WTF. This is not something you can miss or see in just specific situations. It's there every time !

How is it possible that this is not being rubbed into's Samsung's face as serious design flaw ?! How is it possible that when I was going through numerous reviews before buying S3 not even one mentioned such serious behavior.

Was / Is it different with the Note 2 ? (I mean the general "public knowledge" about this)

Most people, except for a few here, don't care. I know I don't.

Or rather, some of them may care, but also understand there's nothing that can be done to get around it, as it's a hardware design choice. Nothing short of re-designing the Exynos<>modem interface is going to change it.