[Q] Steps to updating the bootloader firmware?

Search This thread

GigaSPX

Dec 2, 2012
My TF700 is currently on JB (not sure which version since Build Number isn't showing up on Settings menu anyway), rooted, and unlocked with custom ROM CROMI 3.0.4. I can see that last month there was a new update for the tablet being 10.4.4.25, and I want to update to that to see what improvements there are. The things I'm concerned about needing help with are:

1. How do I update it? As far as I know, I have two files on hand for the new update. One that's about 400+MB from the Asus site, and another being from sdbags' topic introducing his latest version of CROMI that's being about 8-ish MB. Which is the correct one to use?
2. Will I lose my root access after updating?
3. Is there any other precautions I should take before and after I update?

I'm sorry, I'm still a newb at doing this kind of stuff for Android and I've been looking through a lot of threads here on XDA to find the answers I'm looking for. Much help would be appreciated, thank you.

_that

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 2, 2012
1. How do I update it? As far as I know, I have two files on hand for the new update. One that's about 400+MB from the Asus site, and another being from sdbags' topic introducing his latest version of CROMI that's being about 8-ish MB. Which is the correct one to use?

The correct way to upgrade CROMI is to install the latest version of CROMI - it includes the firmware updates from 10.4.4.25 (but the bootloader is separate).

For the bootloader, you can check its version by holding down "volume down" (left) while powering up - the build version should be displayed in the tiny text at the top of the screen. All bootloaders from 10.4.4.18 to 10.4.4.25 are identical, so if you have any of these, you can just install the latest CROMI. Otherwise, in addition to the latest CROMI, also flash the updated bootloader from sbdags.

2. No, if you install CROMI and not the stock ROM.
3. Backup your data before, and then follow the instructions in the installer.

Reactions: GigaSPX

GigaSPX

Dec 2, 2012
So there isn't any importance for me to really update to 10.4.4.25? I see there is a log of what it fixes, and I was just interested about updating my bootloader to it. Also, how about the two different bootloader update files?

_that

Oct 2, 2012
So there isn't any importance for me to really update to 10.4.4.25? I see there is a log of what it fixes, and I was just interested about updating my bootloader to it. Also, how about the two different bootloader update files?

The full firmware includes the bootloader, the stock recovery, the kernel, and the system image. Updating only the bootloader is pointless - the changes you read about were made in the kernel and the system image, not in the bootloader.

Which "two different bootloader update files" are you talking about?

GigaSPX

Dec 2, 2012
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2049274

"You can install this straight over CleanROM 2.3 to 3.x or Asus Jelly Bean Stock without a full wipe. The latest JB Bootloader is necessary before flashing this and is available in Post 2."

If you look at Post 2, he provided the links to the updates for each region. I grabbed the US from his post and it's only 1.09 MB (sorry I checked again. This is the actual size.) When I grabbed the update from the Asus site, it's 456MB. That's what's confusing me atm...

_that

Oct 2, 2012

"You can install this straight over CleanROM 2.3 to 3.x or Asus Jelly Bean Stock without a full wipe. The latest JB Bootloader is necessary before flashing this and is available in Post 2."

If you look at Post 2, he provided the links to the updates for each region. I grabbed the US from his post and it's only 1.09 MB (sorry I checked again. This is the actual size.) When I grabbed the update from the Asus site, it's 456MB. That's what's confusing me atm...

Did you even read my previous post? "The full firmware includes the bootloader, the stock recovery, the kernel, and the system image." That's the difference.

Reactions: GigaSPX

rayman2k1

Aug 29, 2011
Sony Xperia 5 II
Google Pixel 8
I've got a similar question. I'm on the .30 bootloader, which I've unlocked. I don't exactly remember why I'm on it, but if memory serves, before unlocking/rooting, I did the official upgrade to JB (which updated bootloader to 10.xx.xx) then I had to use the blob to downgrade to .30 in order to get the Asus unlocker to work. I've since flashed CWM Touch 6.0.1.9 and am running a fairly recent CM10.1.

So, am I now able to upgrade the bootloader to a newer (read official JB, or, more quantitaiively, 10.xx.xx) version? If I understand correctly, I can use a blob to flash a new "firmware", which would include the bootloader, rom, ril (we have these right?), etc. However, once I do this, I will be stuck on a stock recovery and rom, correct? If there is a way to upgrade the bootloader and keep it unlocked (/unlock it after), what are the steps involved?

I'm fine with the .30 bootloader, but it's ridiculous that the "Reboot to ..." options do not work. OK, so it's not ridiculous, it's just a bit inconvenient and has been causing me to not flash as many nightlies. My followup question would be, does the JB bootloader address this "issue"? And, correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way to get ROM Manager or GooManager to be able to do scripted flashes is to have these reboot options working, right?

TLDR: Have unlocked .30 bootloader, want JB bootloader but want it to be unlocked. Can it be done? Do I really want it?

_that

Oct 2, 2012
TLDR: Have unlocked .30 bootloader, want JB bootloader but want it to be unlocked. Can it be done? Do I really want it?

In sbdags' CleanROM Inheritance dev thread, he offers bootloader-only installers - you can use these to install only the current 10.4.4.25 bootloader and keep your current recovery, kernel and ROM (no RIL on a WiFi-only device).

Warning: Make sure your recovery is compatible with a JB bootloader on the TF700 - too old recoveries (created for ICS) are known to cause hard bricks with the JB bootloader.

Reactions: rayman2k1

rayman2k1

Aug 29, 2011
Sony Xperia 5 II
Google Pixel 8
In sbdags' CleanROM Inheritance dev thread, he offers bootloader-only installers - you can use these to install only the current 10.4.4.25 bootloader and keep your current recovery, kernel and ROM (no RIL on a WiFi-only device).

Warning: Make sure your recovery is compatible with a JB bootloader on the TF700 - too old recoveries (created for ICS) are known to cause hard bricks with the JB bootloader.

Hey, thanks for the prompt reply. Can you please confirm that this will let me keep my bootloader unlocked? Also, if this does happen to **** things up, do I have any recourse (ie. can I re-flash another, older, bootloader that will allow me to boot?). As I'm on the .30 firmware, I don't have the ability to use NVFlash. Also, will upgrading the bootloader make the "Reboot to.." options work?

MartyHulskemper

Jun 5, 2008
Hey, thanks for the prompt reply. Can you please confirm that this will let me keep my bootloader unlocked? Also, if this does happen to **** things up, do I have any recourse (ie. can I re-flash another, older, bootloader that will allow me to boot?). As I'm on the .30 firmware, I don't have the ability to use NVFlash. Also, will upgrading the bootloader make the "Reboot to.." options work?

Once you've unlocked your bootlader, updating it to the lastest (and presumably greatest) will only updat its code, and not relock it. (If it did that, I bet a lot of the users with trouble could've gotten a free warranty reset! ;) -- ASUS wouldn't do that, trust me.)

For completeness' sake: if you did not unlock the bootloader before, the unlock tool will remain as functional as it would have been in the first place. If you can't unlock the new bootloader, you couldn't have unlocked the old one either (issue is on ASUS' side, well referenced on the forum).

Reflashing an older bootloader: no, unless you have NvFlash and the concurrent backup files-- I didn't gather you ran that procedure before upgrading to .30...

TL;DR: your bootloader will remain unlocked if you unlocked it prior to updating, and remains unlockable if not.

rayman2k1

Aug 29, 2011
Sony Xperia 5 II
Google Pixel 8
Once you've unlocked your bootlader, updating it to the lastest (and presumably greatest) will only updat its code, and not relock it. (If it did that, I bet a lot of the users with trouble could've gotten a free warranty reset! ;) -- ASUS wouldn't do that, trust me.)

For completeness' sake: if you did not unlock the bootloader before, the unlock tool will remain as functional as it would have been in the first place. If you can't unlock the new bootloader, you couldn't have unlocked the old one either (issue is on ASUS' side, well referenced on the forum).

Reflashing an older bootloader: no, unless you have NvFlash and the concurrent backup files-- I didn't gather you ran that procedure before upgrading to .30...

TL;DR: your bootloader will remain unlocked if you unlocked it prior to updating, and remains unlockable if not.

fantastic. thanks for the detailed reply.
any idea if the reboot to recovery thing is BL-related? if so, would upgrading it solve the problem? or is the tf700 owner's club SOL with that?

_that

Oct 2, 2012
any idea if the reboot to recovery thing is BL-related?

Maybe. It works for me, with the 10.4.4.25 bootloader.

In any case, before you use any "reboot to recovery" tool after flashing a new recovery, always test the new recovery by starting it at least once with the power/volume button combination.

MartyHulskemper

Jun 5, 2008
fantastic. thanks for the detailed reply.
any idea if the reboot to recovery thing is BL-related? if so, would upgrading it solve the problem? or is the tf700 owner's club SOL with that?
My pleasure! :)

I had a boot-to-recovery loop once with CM10 -- that was a hairpuller. After doing some research (all the while hair-pulling, to be honest), this zip solved it. So as far as I'm concerned, that'd be a yes. ;)

In any case, before you use any "reboot to recovery" tool after flashing a new recovery, always test the new recovery by starting it at least once with the power/volume button combination.
This is always sound advice -- the older recoveries indeed have caused quite a few splitting headaches. ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The correct way to upgrade CROMI is to install the latest version of CROMI - it includes the firmware updates from 10.4.4.25 (but the bootloader is separate).

For the bootloader, you can check its version by holding down "volume down" (left) while powering up - the build version should be displayed in the tiny text at the top of the screen. All bootloaders from 10.4.4.18 to 10.4.4.25 are identical, so if you have any of these, you can just install the latest CROMI. Otherwise, in addition to the latest CROMI, also flash the updated bootloader from sbdags.

2. No, if you install CROMI and not the stock ROM.
    3. Backup your data before, and then follow the instructions in the installer.

Did you even read my previous post? "The full firmware includes the bootloader, the stock recovery, the kernel, and the system image." That's the difference.

any idea if the reboot to recovery thing is BL-related?