[App][4.1+][v1.1.0][May 29] Fences - Device automation made easy.

Search This thread

topcat0

Feb 7, 2012
Thanks for making this app. It looks real nice. I currently use Profile Scheduler for this task but I'm always on the look out for something better. I have one quick question... what is supposed to happen when I leave a fence? I know you're working on something to specifically say but for now, what happens?

Stephen.k.spear

Jul 12, 2011
West Palm Beach
Right now nothing happens on exit. We only perform tasks on demand. Exit location is a trigger we are looking into adding for the next release. Then you will be able to set up actions for when you leave a location too!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: jburk68 and killall

Netuser

Feb 4, 2006
Toronto
Did you save the Location Trigger? Is there one listed in the Profile'sTrigger list? Is your GPS enabled? How about WiFi and Cell Location? If your device can not get a lock on your location there is no way for it to fire. Once a Location Trigger is saved we should handle the rest.

Yes location is saved and is listed in the profile. As I told you before there is no issue of Lock as I tested in Map app and an other map app (Transit) and they get instant Lock on gps of my location. Even your app when I set the location it get instant lock on my position. But it dont activate the profile. It did eventually got trigger but after 2 hours :S Why it is not immediate ?

Primokorn

Nov 17, 2012
OnePlus 8 Pro
Yes location is saved and is listed in the profile. As I told you before there is no issue of Lock as I tested in Map app and an other map app (Transit) and they get instant Lock on gps of my location. Even your app when I set the location it get instant lock on my position. But it dont activate the profile. It did eventually got trigger but after 2 hours :S Why it is not immediate ?
Same thing on my side. Here is what I did to test the location as a trigger.
• GPS (high accuracy), WiFi and mobile data enabled
• Actions: brightness max
• Trigger: location (where I am with a size of 500 M) - location appears in the list of the triggers tab.
• Settings: Max scan interval set to 30 seconds

The brightness don't change and I don't receive any notification.
Triggers aren't disabled in the settings.

EDIT
New test with "Power: plug-in" as a trigger and brightness & sync on as actions and it doesn't work better.

However the manual way works: pressing and holding a profile then selecting "Tigger profile".

Last edited:

Stephen.k.spear

Jul 12, 2011
West Palm Beach
• Trigger: location (where I am with a size of 500 M) - location appears in the list of the triggers tab.

EDIT
New test with "Power: plug-in" as a trigger and brightness & sync on as actions and it doesn't work better.

However the manual way works: pressing and holding a profile then selecting "Tigger profile".

I think some info is getting lost between us. Can you both PM me I'll help you work through whatever your having issues with.

Are you planning an on/off lockscreen activity in future updates?

Yes screen on/off and enable/disable Lockscreen are both in the road map. I'm not sure to which you were referring but they are both coming.

kochthespeed

Oct 1, 2012
Kula
Super app :)
From now this is my default profile app.
Cheers :beer:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Free mobile app

Stephen.k.spear

Jul 12, 2011
West Palm Beach
Fences broke 1000+ yesterday. Not bad for 3 days on the market! Thanks for all the support guys! uploadfromtaptalk1400710011967.jpg

Reactions: bpaulien

Primokorn

Nov 17, 2012
OnePlus 8 Pro

EDIT

New feedback further to some tests and a discussion with Stephen.k.spear.
I did a clean install of my rom & apps to be sure that the issue was caused by Fences... but I was wrong. The location feature works as expected.
I have reactived somme location services and allowed location permissions.

So if you have any issues with the location feature (or other triggers) double check your settings & permissions first including the max scan delay into the app.
By the way the plug-in trigger works too.

banjara

Mar 31, 2014
Bangalore
it must need gps to be on all the times. right? if yes, then wont it be a battery hog?
P.S. I have not installed it yet but totally inclined towards it. :)
Great idea :good:

Stephen.k.spear

Jul 12, 2011
West Palm Beach
it must need gps to be on all the times. right? if yes, then wont it be a battery hog?
P.S. I have not installed it yet but totally inclined towards it. :)
Great idea :good:

If you use a location trigger it will require GPS to be on. However the newer location apis are very battery friendly. Most of our users don't even see us in the battery stats page at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: banjara

meyerweb

Jun 19, 2010
Is there any documentation anywhere of what the available triggers and actions are? Or am I expected to install it to find out what it actually is capable of doing?

A simple list in the OP would be very useful. We shouldn't be able to figure out if the app will be useful for us without having to install it first.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Fences is a device automation application that has made it easier than ever
    to have your device the way you want it regardless of where or when you are!

Automate your phone. Let us worry about setting up your phone the way you like it.
    Create custom profiles that can perform over a dozen actions when various triggers occur.
    Create a geofence around all of your favorite movie theaters to silence your phone. Phone
    about to run out of battery? Create a profile to disable wifi, data, account sync and many more.
    The possibilities are endless. A simple user interface allows you to setup the app how you want
    it to work and forget about it. We will do the rest. Everything we do has your battery level in mind.

Google Plus Community
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/112130752023749699441

Basic Features
    • New and improved UI
    • Unlimited Profiles
    • Geofencing

Download & Install

Download from Google Play Store
    Fences

Triggers
    • Connect to WiFi
    • Connect to Bluetooth
    • Plug in to power
    • Unplug from power
    • Low Battery
    • On Boot
    • Enter Location
    • Time With Repeat Options
    • Wi-Fi disconnect
    • Bluetooth disconnect
    • Location exit
    • Wi-Fi Any SSID
    • Bluetooth Any Device

Actions
    • AutoRotate
    • AutoBrightness
    • Brightness
    • Screen Timeout
    • Sound State
    • Ringer Volume
    • Notification Volume
    • Media Volume
    • Alarm Volume
    • Wifi
    • Bluetooth
    • Notification Led
    • Haptic Feedback
    • Notification Tone
    • Ringtone
    • Sync
    • Launch Shortcut
    • WiFi Tether
    • Bluetooth Tether

Yes, priorities are necessary to allow complex rules, but the developer doesn't seem to understand that what works for him won't satisfy everyone.

Again I disagree. We've made clear that we do plan on adding priority support at some point. I'm simply pointing out that just because you did something one way on Tasker or some other app doesn't mean thats how this app is supposed to work. Our goal was never to be a Tasker or any other app clone. If another app has everything you are looking for then why are you trying other apps out? Clearly something was missing or you won't be looking into other solutions. We've only been available for 3 weeks. So we would hope we would be granted a little leeway before being compared to app that has years of development under their belts. So before you go saying this is how so and so did it, so you are wrong for not doing it that way. Maybe give us a chance to figure out how we want to handle these type of issues.
    Looks promising. Any plans to interface this with Tasker?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

The plan is to compete with Tasker... :)

Yes we are working on getting a new beta with new actions and Triggers out in the next couple weeks.
    Hope everybody joined the Beta Program. The first update has been published to all of you. Tell us about your experience.

The following are the new features included in this update. These features were requested by you guys. Keep them coming!

New actions
    - Launch Shortcut
    - WiFi Tether
    - Bluetooth Tether

New triggers
    - Wi-Fi disconnect
    - Bluetooth disconnect
    - Location exit
    - Wi-Fi Any SSID
    - Bluetooth Any Device

Bug fixes