Convert the Tilt to have a front-facing cam?

Search This thread

lenknermj

Mar 12, 2008
I have a Tilt, which (I'm sure most of you know) AT&T has intelligently decided to have HTC remove the front-camera from - ya know, the one that would make a video call possible...

Anyway, I found an HTC original TyTNII/Kaiser housing with the front bezel with the video 'hole' on it on CNN.CN for $70, and was wondering if anyone knows where I could get the camera portion of it, and if this conversion is possible? I already have Dutty's pre-departure WM6.1 ROM on the phone, so I'm anticipating that the ROM is capable of it - just not the phone. :)

Any success stories, testimonials, ideas, advice, words of caution or other?

TIA,
M

3waygeek

Dec 31, 2004
Duluth, GA
You know, of course, that the AT&T network doesn't support video calls -- that's why they didn't select the 2-camera version of the Kaiser.

lenknermj

Mar 12, 2008
You know, of course, that the AT&T network doesn't support video calls -- that's why they didn't select the 2-camera version of the Kaiser.

No, actually, I didn't know that...I thought video sharing was possible with it...I guess I just assumed that meant even live video.

Well, nevermind this thread then!! :) Stupid AT&T. :)

Thanks!
- M

cheese74

Jan 15, 2008
Actually, it'd still be useful to know how easy it is to do it. Considering I'm currently using the Tilt in a country that does support Video calls...

VirgilWoods

Jun 27, 2007
Tampa, FL
It would be great to know this, simply because it makes it easier to take self pictures and use your phone as a webcam. In fact, maybe we can get a seperate Kaiser 3 megapixel camera and stick it in that front cam area.

Samson711

Dec 17, 2005
Aachen
I personally think that it is not this easy to do and the costs propably would exceed the amount you saved by buying the Tilt Version of the Kaiser ;)

lenknermj

Mar 12, 2008
I personally think that it is not this easy to do and the costs propably would exceed the amount you saved by buying the Tilt Version of the Kaiser ;)

Maybe...but to be honest, I bought 3 HTC's with cracked LCD's on Fleabay (8125, 8525, and the Tilt) for Under $400....then I fixed and resold the other two, and ended up with a 'Like-new' Tilt for about $120....Consdering what I would have paid new, I think I saved a lot more than just the difference between a new Kaiser and what I'm 'into' my Tilt for. :)

Sorry - just started fixing HTC's and felt the need to boast a little....

;)

- M

osunick

Oct 24, 2006
Congratulations! Though changing the screens is trivially easy on HTC phones... all you need is a torx wrench and some courage...

kyphur

Retired Senior Moderator
Dec 3, 2005
Chicagoland
A lot of guys upgraded the Cingular variant of the Blue Angel to add the missing back camera. Might want to check there for inspiration.

When you had the tilt open did you see a "socket" where the camera should be? If so then it might be as easy as the BA upgrade was in which case the hardest part will be finding the camera plug-in piece for sale.

waffle418

Jul 3, 2006
Cincinnati
If I'm not mistaken, when I changed out the case on my 8525 (Hermes) it had the "drop-in socket" for the front facing camera. I believe I even spent some time trying to track one down to plug in for the same webcam reason.

Enigma_cpl03

Apr 5, 2007
New York
Just to shed some light on this topic.. all ATT varients are HTC boards and have the connector for the front facing camera. The only hard part is finding one.

javy06

Jan 2, 2008
Just to shed some light on this topic.. all ATT varients are HTC boards and have the connector for the front facing camera. The only hard part is finding one.
yea same thing where could we get the front cam i just ordered the new case and want to get the camera. please pm me if you know where i can get one.

fone_fanatic

Aug 4, 2005
Central Texas
I remember in the hermes forum somebody had installed the forward facing camera on their 8525 and it was just plug and play, no soldering needed (i think theres also a thread at hofo). But obviously you'll also need to flash a WWE rom that supports video calling.

I was gonna do the same and buy the orange case from cnn.cn but the camera is nowhere to be found, i'm gonna shoot an email to cnn.cn other than that i'd suggest searching on ebay fora damaged tytn ii.

Also for video share, its going to be one way from the camera on the back. For example, if i video share call someone :S then they'd see what my rear camera is recording but i can't see anything from their camera.. i guess its just a way to milk us for our money.

sonus

Jan 25, 2007
Just out of curiosity, would you even neccessarily even need a Kaiser front camera? I'm guessing that any camera from the same spec from any HTC (and probably other brands) should work.

kryptonyte08

Feb 27, 2008
Well to be completely honest with ATT network, the front facing camera would allow a video conference call only in a 3G blanketed area due to the fact that it would be the same lines as a video share that ATT offers. It would require a simultaneous voice and data connection.

mattlezeay

Feb 8, 2008
Colorado
I have been thinking about doing this myself. I looked through the service manual and found that it listed the P/N as 54H00225-00M. I am not sure where to find it but possibly from a repair facility or something. I would love to have that front camera, hopefully someone will figure it out.