LCD Mura

Search This thread

nyijedi

Jul 5, 2008
Long Island, NY
Has anyone else experienced "LCD mura" with their Primes, and if so, has the issue gotten any worse since you noticed it? LCD mura looks similar to light bleed, but not in corners of the screen. Rather, it is a small blotch/"bright spot" appearing anywhere on the screen. I have one such problem area that showed up after owning the Prime for about a month. It hasn't gotten any worse, but it's annoying on white backgrounds. I'm wondering how common of a problem this is. A Google search shows that it's a somewhat regular occurrence on cheaper LCD screens.

Reactions: chockchip

tateg

Mar 4, 2011
Ohhh, so *that's* what that is. I've had if for a while in one spot. Only noticeable on white backgrounds.

smrsxn

Dec 30, 2011
My prime had 7 bright pixels!

They developed 2 months after I bought them..and kept increasing with time. These pixels will not go away with pixel fixer apps either.

Have sent my tablet for an RMA to get the LCD replaced. Fingers-crossed.

garak0410

Feb 7, 2009
They developed 2 months after I bought them..and kept increasing with time. These pixels will not go away with pixel fixer apps either.

Have sent my tablet for an RMA to get the LCD replaced. Fingers-crossed.

Looking forward to your follow up message when you get it back. This has been an amazing tablet. I want my spots fixed now! :)

smrsxn

Dec 30, 2011
Looking forward to your follow up message when you get it back. This has been an amazing tablet. I want my spots fixed now! :)

Sure, will keep the thread updated when i get it back. Only 5 days (3 business days) so far. RMA On "Waiting-[WB5] Wait for Repair\Test\Aging" status.

neo1738

Nov 24, 2010
had 2 on mine, they didn't get bigger or anything. thought i could live with it and decided that since every time I saw it I was pissed so sent it in for RMA. Sent in March 26th (they received it) and was returned April 8th back in my hands. SOOOOO Happy I did I now feel like this is the tablet I should have always had. Also my time may have been extended by also getting bt/wifi fixed (well partially fixed, usable now)

graffixnyc

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
What was the turnaround on the replacement? I have about 5-6 of those "white spots" now...

Have the spots come back after it was fixed?

I guess I had this on my TF101, A few white spots showed up, I sent it in for RMA, it came back and looked fine (they said they replaced the screen) but after a few months the white spots came back almost in the same exact spot. I sent it in for RMA a second time, this time they flagged it as CID (customer induced damage) I emailed Hai, and *****ed and complained saying they fixed it the first time and didnt flag it as CID, so why are they flagging it this time. The next day I got an email from Hai saying it was taken care of and was no longer considered CID, and was being repaired.. So it does seem the white spots return in some cases

Moist

Mar 31, 2009
I had one of these on my screen. LCD replaced in a day. But then there were other issues like them not connecting the screen properly so only half the touch would register. Ended up getting a refund.

mile high

Dec 30, 2010
Just noticed my second LCD panel has a developed light 5mm mura spot.

Not as bad as last time.

Same area as last time. Lower left corner.

Would be interested to hear where other's have found their mura spots.

dgjl

Jan 9, 2012
I have a couple on my prime, towards the bottom of the screen in landscape - one is about 3mm by 2 mm the other about half that size - they do grate on your nerves once you can see them, especially as so much of what I do on my prime (kindle, email, word-processing, surfing the web) is against a white background. I've emailed ASUS and am looking into a RMA.

Lord_Possum

Nov 27, 2011
I had the same problem, right in the center of the screen, one bigger spot and two smaller.
Sent my Prime to RMA a month ago, still waiting for it. Seems that he replacement screen is not so easy to find, in Europe.
BTW, they not considered it CID, and they will repair it under warranty.

smrsxn

Dec 30, 2011
Update on my prime's RMA

My tablet is still in WB5 state for an RMA to fix 7 such bright spots. In multiple conversations with CSRs it was explained that other issues (unspecified) were detected after the repair, and the tablet is now waiting for some special components to be repaired.

I am still within 10-14 business days to repair period, so the RMA can not be esclated yet.

I regret having sent my tablet for LCD replacement. Will kepp posting any updates that I have.

I recall someone mentioning the below statement in some other forum...
"I hate apple. But atleast their Sh**t works and they support it"
How true!

FYI - I sent it to TEXAS repair center.

Last edited:

benefit14snake

Dec 23, 2011
Henrico, VA
WTF! Just noticed a mura starting to form.....ughh every time I am happy with my prime I find something that P***es me off with it. I really want to love this tablet. I feel like I am prime-bipolar. Some days I am prime-manic and some days I am prime-depressed. /Sigh Asus why do you toy with my electronic emotions?

Sent from my EPAD using Tapatalk 2

dgjl

Jan 9, 2012
I'm noticing a 3rd spot develop on mine - begun the RMA process. I'm going to brace my self to be without my prime for at least a month. (I survived without it for 40 years, I'm sure I can go a month...)

nhshah7

Feb 14, 2009
Boston
i had spots on my first prime (BCOK) but exchanged due to GPS (also had haptic feedback issue too).

Second prime (c10) has a couple spots in landscape about an inch from the bottom of the screen near the center. I have "kept an eye on it" as far as noticing it only when I'm really on a white background or anything. I usually use it for reading and/or taking notes on PDFs so I surprisingly haven't been bothered by it AT ALL. I actually forgot they were there until last week.

Anyways, if it gets any bigger or I get more spots, I'll send it in over the summer...

evilcuber

Aug 3, 2010
Toronto
i have a tiny 2mm area which is really white, when i have a whitish background. It is imposibble to tell though when i have other colours on the screen. My tablets serial number starts with a B so it was one of the earlier ones. It just randomly happened one day but its not that big of an issue

neo1738

Nov 24, 2010
i had 2, if in landscape they were just off center down and left, and a little further down and left like middle of lower left quadrant was the big 5-7mm one that really bothered me. Decided to eventually send it in they received unit march 26 was back in my hands april 13th ish (can't remember) i believe

BethyM

Oct 21, 2009
I don't know if this is my problem or not -- When I have a black/dark screen, I can see two areas that are whiter than the rest of the screen. It's not individual pixels but splotches. I do not notice it on white or any other color background? I haven't decided if I can live with it yet or not - still hoping it will just go away! If this isn't LCD Mura, what would you call it?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Has anyone else experienced "LCD mura" with their Primes, and if so, has the issue gotten any worse since you noticed it? LCD mura looks similar to light bleed, but not in corners of the screen. Rather, it is a small blotch/"bright spot" appearing anywhere on the screen. I have one such problem area that showed up after owning the Prime for about a month. It hasn't gotten any worse, but it's annoying on white backgrounds. I'm wondering how common of a problem this is. A Google search shows that it's a somewhat regular occurrence on cheaper LCD screens.
    Yes had two such areas on my TF201. Had the sreen replaced under warranty.
    My dead pixel area now has what looks like spider legs radiating from it (only short, maybe 3-4 mm long) and my number of mura spots has grown from one to 5.

It seems like my LCD is slowly dying. I contacted Asus today and am waiting reply.
    Has any one else noticed that in the Warranty information given in the box with the Prime, Asus seems to have expected mura, or something like it, to occur? There's a whole passage on LCD defects and what they will and won't cover, including the number of spots, the background they appear against, and their proximity to each other. It looks like they knowingly shipped cr*p!
    Have you gotten your Prime back yet? Any updates on what they said in response to the mura issue? Also, how did you initiate the RMA process?

Sorry, had too many threads to reply in about this that I forgot (aka one other lol). Anyways, prime came back within 12 days in my hands. No issues anymore that I see mura, but there might be some screen bleed after the repair. Doesn't bother me so oh well :)

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium HD app