Is there a software tool to free up RAM in WM5?

Search This thread

ualvoyager

May 13, 2005
Laguna Beach, CA
Hi all, I know about SKTools comes with "Free Up RAM" but I just want "Free Up RAM". SKTools seems to mess my device up (Dopod 818Pro).

Any ideas???

Thanks all!!

voyager

ualvoyager

May 13, 2005
Laguna Beach, CA
Hi Leek, Thanks for the info, however neither of these is what I'm looking for (or at least I think I'm not looking for them). SKTools has a "Free Up RAM" one button operation that literally kills RAM sucking dll's and such and can reclaim up to 2MB of RAM. I have MemMaid and like it a lot but unless someone can point in the right direction if MemMaid can do this I would certainly appreciate the help!!

Thanks!

voyager

leek

Jul 30, 2005
Valk Space Reclaimer is "one-button", in a sense -- you just have to run it, and it can stop all programs, free memory, etc.

MemMaid offers more options, more fine-tuning control, but is also more dangerous if you don't know what you're doing with it :)

Space Reclaimer is easier for novices to use, requires almost no setup, and it can be programmed to automatically exit after running. It can also be programmed to run automatically after soft reset.

I have no idea about the relative effectiveness of these programs. I know they both free up memory, because I've used them successfully, freeing up as much as 3 MB in one run.

I have not tried Oxios Memory, but it doesn't appear that it's been released for WM5 yet (there's an alpha version on the web page).

meschle

Feb 23, 2006
Coventry, England
Oxios memory 1.40

New release of Oxios memory 1.40 - now states is PPC and WM5 compatible. Hibernate works well on my device and I have set it to start on wakeup using the notification queue method. However Closeapps has a bug where it sends windows media player into some sort of intro mode! So I only use hibernate.

Attachments

• oxiosmemory.pocketpc.cab
    13.3 KB · Views: 84

farbird

Jun 1, 2005
most memory actually goes into caching windows fonts and last known state...

kinda like when u play text twist or bejewelled and u quit the app [ or so u thought ] and when u do open it again, it will still revert to the last known state...

such cache will take up memory

ie more apps opened and closed, more cache memory..

only way is to reboot the ppc.

prestonmcafee

Feb 20, 2006
Pasadena, CA
Memmaid 1.72

It is only the new version of memmaid that comes with the "Reclaim RAM" program. It is a separate program that installs with the same CAB. I have run it several times, including when my memory had fallen by about 10MB in spite of the fact that nothing was currently running, and Reclaim RAM said there was no memory to be gained. A soft reset regained the 10MB. So my unscientific impression is that this program does nothing.

Soft resets, on the other hand, do a great job.

srmz

Aug 25, 2005
You are absolutely right. MemMaid 1.72 free up RAM does nothing on my I-Mate Jasjar no matter how low the program memory has gone.

Maybe they will release a bug fix.

Regards

damac

Well.... another confirmation....

I've tried oxios memory and memmaid's free up ram feature...

They both are almost same in the result, i.e. sometimes they free up upto 1.5 MB of space and sometimes, nothing.

Even when the memory drops to something like 50% of normal, with no programs running, still these programs don't do anything to warrant their install. Have given up using either as a soft reset works wonders.

P.S. I have a Tmobile MDA compact II (Charmer) and have just two days ago updated the ROM from tmobile website. Seems to work much better and has more RAM too (even with activesync running in background as it usually keeps doing).