Thanks Meter: 3,880

By leapinlar, Senior Member on 15th November 2012, 04:17 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
8th August 2015, 03:44 AM |#1041  
Thanks Meter: 85

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar

I don't run Windows 8 or 10 so I have no idea what it is talking about with a hash.

Sent from my SM-T707V using XDA Premium HD app

After digging a bit, it turns out the Nook drivers aren't properly signed, so the checksum will not match the driver. You have to disable Driver Signature Enforcement to install it. Instructions here: https://nookdeveloper.zendesk.com/en...ndroid_Drivers

Thanks for the help, I'll try this in a bit and update if it worked.
7th November 2015, 11:02 AM |#1042  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Unknown Sources on unrooted, unregistered Nook HD?
Hi

I recently bought a Nook HD which is unregistered and unrooted, and I'd like to keep it that way if possible. I've used a lot of the brilliant advice here to skip the OOBE experience and sideload free apps using adb. However, I'm hoping to be able to buy a few useful apps and I don't like Google Play. The apps I want are available on Amazon, but if I understand correctly I'll need to enable installation from Unknown Sources.

Leapinglar's long post [CWM/ROOT/UNKNOWN SOURCES] HD/HDplus Stock Root/other Mods - via CWM flashable zips looks like the way to go if I just want to enable Unknown Sources without rooting....but it also says

Quote:

Most of the below zips can be flashed (installed) on any version of stock HD-HDplus ROM as long as you have booted the Nook into stock at least once and registered.

Is this true if I only create a bootable SD card and use it to backup and then install the zip for Enable Unknown Sources? If so, are there any workarounds? (Including for my overall goal, ie a way to buy and install an Amazon app without registering/rooting my Nook HD?)

Thank you for your help and for such a great resources!
7th November 2015, 09:03 PM |#1043  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalEvans

Hi

I recently bought a Nook HD which is unregistered and unrooted, and I'd like to keep it that way if possible. I've used a lot of the brilliant advice here to skip the OOBE experience and sideload free apps using adb. However, I'm hoping to be able to buy a few useful apps and I don't like Google Play. The apps I want are available on Amazon, but if I understand correctly I'll need to enable installation from Unknown Sources.

Leapinglar's long post [CWM/ROOT/UNKNOWN SOURCES] HD/HDplus Stock Root/other Mods - via CWM flashable zips looks like the way to go if I just want to enable Unknown Sources without rooting....but it also says

Is this true if I only create a bootable SD card and use it to backup and then install the zip for Enable Unknown Sources? If so, are there any workarounds? (Including for my overall goal, ie a way to buy and install an Amazon app without registering/rooting my Nook HD?)

Thank you for your help and for such a great resources!

You should be able to do the unknown sources zip without registering with B&N. You definitely do not have to root it.

The Following User Says Thank You to leapinlar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift leapinlar Ad-Free
9th November 2015, 04:17 PM |#1044  

More
Update!
Quote:

You should be able to do the unknown sources zip without registering with B&N. You definitely do not have to root it.

Thank you for your help!

Interestingly, although mine is a Nook HD which apparently usually boots to an SD card quite easily, I had a lot of trouble initially. Most of the time it would just boot to stock, and every so often it wouldn't do anything at all, apparently wouldn't even power on. I tried dozens of times.

So I read the HD+ troubleshooting thread New Nook HD+ will not boot from SD card. I was all ready to run out and buy a Class 4 SD card (the one I was using was Class 10 8GB which apparently doesn't work as reliably with many Nook HD+s), when I read the suggestion to insert the SD card into a powered-off Nook without letting go, then power on and and release it into place when you see the logo.

It worked on the first try! I successfully backed up and installed the Enable Unknown Sources zip. I've only tested installing one apk directly so far, but it seems to be working perfectly - thank you!!!!

I have no idea why this Nook HD is so fussy, but that tip for the HD+ worked very well.
20th November 2015, 04:44 AM |#1045  

More
I recently re-flashed my Nook HD+ to the following from leapinlar's other thread:
* NookHDplus-bootable-CWM-6028-for-stock-BOOTFILES-r4-(05.15.13).rar (5.64 MB)
* NookHD-HDplus-stock-enable-Unknown-Sources-rev0-(09.08.13).zip (727.9 KB)
* NookHD-HDplus-Universal-Root-rev3-(09.10.13).zip (9.86 MB)
Titanium Backup claims root is not working (though I do have Superuser), but I really don't need that.

My issue is two-fold but I think both parts are related. The Home (Nook n) button no longer functions in Android applications or the launcher and the Settings dropdown in the top-right corner no longer opens.

The N/Home button is working physically - it wakes up the screen when turned off. Applications (including launchers Nova and Zeem) don't seem to respond to the Home button even if I map actions to it which some apps allow.

The settings panel at the top can be "clicked", meaning it will be highlighted when pressed but no dropdown menu will appear.

Both of the issues are obviously not showstoppers, but I'm a little surprised and annoyed. I previously had this exact same setup working (though the tablet would reboot whenever apps were installed/uninstalled ... I think due to /system modifications). From that setup, I restored using what I think is the Nook stock restore (holding N on boot to get small pop-up menu) but that kept the Cyanoboot bootloader. I created the SD card as usual and installed the aforementioned zip's and ROM image.

Has anyone experienced these symptoms (N button and/or Settings panel) or have a guess at what components handle these?

P.S. My profile area shows "No NOOK Profile" and attempts to click there do nothing or occasionally error with the Android "Service xxx has stopped working".
2nd December 2015, 08:51 PM |#1046  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Thanks was looking for the windows drivers.
13th May 2016, 04:30 AM |#1047  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
The site for the procedures to skip OOBE is dead.
Could you or someone repost them. I remember I had to press an edge of the screen but I can't remember which and can't get it to work.
4th November 2016, 07:40 PM |#1048  
Thanks Meter: 293

More
Just rooted HD and I've got problems
I finally convinced my husband to at least root his HD. He is totally happy with stock and I can side-load via adb so that's about all he wanted. Just in case you wonder, rooting allows installation of Ad Away and that combo affects some apps in an unexpected way (that's a good thing).

Anyway, I used the Universal Root zip with a CWM card I prepared when he first got the tablet so we could do backups. That went just fine. I uninstalled Zeam, Any Cut, and updated SuperUser from the market. Everything is fine except...after booting and settling down, the HD displays this message:

Quote:

Unable to install! This application was not able to install onto your device. Please remove some items from your Library and then download the application to try again.

Then you dismiss it, none-the-wiser, since there isn't any useful information there to remedy the problem. This message appears again during use, infrequently but annoyingly.

I found mention of this earlier in this thread but no one seemed to have a response for the problem. I found similar on the B&N Nook support forum and there someone suggested clearing the data and cache from the PlayStore. That actually worked for the OP there, but did no good for me.

My husband is ready to return to the pre-rooted backup if I can't get this solved I'm thinking maybe pulling down the logcat after a boot (and the message display) might reveal something useful? Suggestions?

Edit: So it looks like the cache clearing of the Play Store and a few reboots resolved the issue
5th November 2016, 09:52 AM |#1049  
Thanks Meter: 67

More
You could always try following the 5 Easy Steps thread method of install, or download a different ROM, boot into Recovery and try loading that. Those are the things I would try first, personally
12th November 2016, 03:36 PM |#1050  
Thanks Meter: 4,442

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

[...]there is one critical partition that holds vital device specific information that was created at manufacture that is probably wise for you to back up.
[...]type the following command:

dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p7 of=/mnt/sdcard/factory.img

This will make an image of your partition 7 that has that vital information. It also has a copy of the factory.zip file used to reset your device should you need to.

hi, thanks for the info!

what is the source of this information? where are the contents of /factory discussed?
i don't have this device, this Q is regarding a port request of REPIT to the Nook HD+:
https://github.com/Lanchon/REPIT

EDIT: more info here...
https://github.com/Lanchon/REPIT/iss...ment-260150283

thank you again
13th November 2016, 06:50 PM |#1051  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanchon

hi, thanks for the info!

what is the source of this information? where are the contents of /factory discussed?
i don't have this device, this Q is regarding a port request of REPIT to the Nook HD+:
https://github.com/Lanchon/REPIT

EDIT: more info here...
https://github.com/Lanchon/REPIT/iss...ment-260150283

thank you again

I have no source for this data. It was developed by me by looking at the content of the partition itself and knowing how other Nook devices operated.

Rombackup.zip is just as you surmissed, a backup of /rom partition. /rom has vital factory set information to allow stock to boot and operate properly. Some info is specifically required by stock and some it even needed for other roms to work properly. It is susceptible to corruption and the backup zip is there so the device can repair itself. At boot the contents of /rom is checked and if a certain file is not there it attempts to repair itself. If the repair fails because rombackup.zip is not there, it goes into a bootloop. This is true on all roms, not just stock.

As for factory.zip, it is a complete zip of the original stock rom. The HD/HD+ had a unique antipiracy feature that prevented attempts to changing any /system files. On boot it would compare all the files to a checksum and if it detected a difference, it would trigger a system reset and reinstallation of that factory.zip. That has been discussed extensively by me and others on the forum. That feature has been largely defeated by myself and others.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
nook hd+ hd, rooting, tips

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)