13th November 2016, 06:50 PM |#1051  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 3,880

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanchon

hi, thanks for the info!

what is the source of this information? where are the contents of /factory discussed?
i don't have this device, this Q is regarding a port request of REPIT to the Nook HD+:
https://github.com/Lanchon/REPIT

EDIT: more info here...
https://github.com/Lanchon/REPIT/iss...ment-260150283

thank you again

I have no source for this data. It was developed by me by looking at the content of the partition itself and knowing how other Nook devices operated.

Rombackup.zip is just as you surmissed, a backup of /rom partition. /rom has vital factory set information to allow stock to boot and operate properly. Some info is specifically required by stock and some it even needed for other roms to work properly. It is susceptible to corruption and the backup zip is there so the device can repair itself. At boot the contents of /rom is checked and if a certain file is not there it attempts to repair itself. If the repair fails because rombackup.zip is not there, it goes into a bootloop. This is true on all roms, not just stock.

As for factory.zip, it is a complete zip of the original stock rom. The HD/HD+ had a unique antipiracy feature that prevented attempts to changing any /system files. On boot it would compare all the files to a checksum and if it detected a difference, it would trigger a system reset and reinstallation of that factory.zip. That has been discussed extensively by me and others on the forum. That feature has been largely defeated by myself and others.

Sent from my SM-T707V using XDA Premium HD app
13th November 2016, 07:19 PM |#1052  
Thanks Meter: 4,442

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar

I have no source for this data. It was developed by me by looking at the content of the partition itself and knowing how other Nook devices operated.

Rombackup.zip is just as you surmissed, a backup of /rom partition. /rom has vital factory set information to allow stock to boot and operate properly. Some info is specifically required by stock and some it even needed for other roms to work properly. It is susceptible to corruption and the backup zip is there so the device can repair itself.

As for factory.zip, it is a complete zip of the original stock rom. The HD/HD+ had a unique antipiracy feature that prevented attempts to changing any /system files. On boot it would compare all the files to a checksum and if it detected a difference, it would trigger a system reset and reinstallation of that factory.zip. That has been discussed extensively by me and others on the forum. That feature has been largely defeated by myself and others.

thank you for your help!

so if i understand the situation correctly, for custom roms:

- /rom is the partition that contains the vital information.
- /factory's only valuable content is a backup of /rom.

my problem is that /factory is aprox 0.5 GB in size and the /rom backup is probably around 10 or 20 MB, which means that most of /factory space is gone to waste. i want custom rom users to be able to recover that wasted space (and most of now-unused /cache too), and enlarge /system and/or /data with the recovered space. (/system enlargement is very welcome as i hear that recent OSes with gapps don't fit.)

given that rombackup.zip is valuable, my plan is to just resizing /factory without wiping its contents. (my tool does that, moves and resizes partitions without wiping them, sort of like gparted for recovery.) is there anything else typically stored in /factory with custom roms? or is it mostly empty? what would be a reasonable default size that most people could apply to /factory without deleting any of its files? it'd be great if something around 32 or 64 MB were enough...

this is the only info i'm missing to green-light and publish the ovation port of REPIT. it's a bitch to develop without having the devices, sorry to bother you. thanks!
14th November 2016, 04:40 PM |#1053  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanchon

thank you for your help!

so if i understand the situation correctly, for custom roms:

- /rom is the partition that contains the vital information.
- /factory's only valuable content is a backup of /rom.

my problem is that /factory is aprox 0.5 GB in size and the /rom backup is probably around 10 or 20 MB, which means that most of /factory space is gone to waste. i want custom rom users to be able to recover that wasted space (and most of now-unused /cache too), and enlarge /system and/or /data with the recovered space. (/system enlargement is very welcome as i hear that recent OSes with gapps don't fit.)

given that rombackup.zip is valuable, my plan is to just resizing /factory without wiping its contents. (my tool does that, moves and resizes partitions without wiping them, sort of like gparted for recovery.) is there anything else typically stored in /factory with custom roms? or is it mostly empty? what would be a reasonable default size that most people could apply to /factory without deleting any of its files? it'd be great if something around 32 or 64 MB were enough...

this is the only info i'm missing to green-light and publish the ovation port of REPIT. it's a bitch to develop without having the devices, sorry to bother you. thanks!

I have retired all of my HD devices, but I have .img backup files on my laptop. You might learn something from the img file sizes. P7 (factory) is 458,753 KB, P8 (system) 688,128 KB, P9 (cache) is 475,136 KB.

Within P7 are 4 files, factory.zip 346,363 KB, fsck.zip 353 KB, rombackup.zip 4 KB and romrestore.zip 225 KB.

I don't know how your tool works, but if you delete the factory.zip it frees up about 338 MB of the partition before resizing. You need to keep the other files. So its minimum size could actually be as small as 1 MB. Without deleting factory.zip it has about 90 MB of free space.

The Following User Says Thank You to leapinlar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift leapinlar Ad-Free
14th November 2016, 06:19 PM |#1054  

Donate to Me
More
thank you! i had a user forward me a /factory. yes, i plan to delete factory.zip only, wipe /cache, resize both partitions to 32mb, and gain a somewhat less than 1G to increase /system to 1G and the rest to /data. thanks so much!
20th November 2016, 03:14 AM |#1055  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

thanks again for your help! in case you are interested:

[Nook HD+] REPIT: enlarge /system and /data partitions without wiping your data
http://forum.xda-developers.com/nook...tions-t3503615
27th December 2016, 12:38 AM |#1056  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
For some reason attempting to go back to stock using clockwork mod to flash throws an error. Why would it do this? Literally I load SD card up with stock image for my nook hd, tell it to go look on the external sd card to try flashing the image, and then the thing falls over.
27th December 2016, 04:10 PM |#1057  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggles2114

For some reason attempting to go back to stock using clockwork mod to flash throws an error. Why would it do this? Literally I load SD card up with stock image for my nook hd, tell it to go look on the external sd card to try flashing the image, and then the thing falls over.

Make sure you are using an old enough version of CWM. It must be older than 6045.

Go to my other thread to get instructions. Here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2062613

27th December 2016, 11:38 PM |#1058  

More
Quote:

Make sure you are using an old enough version of CWM. It must be older than 6045.

Go to my other thread to get instructions. Here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2062613

Thanks man. What broke compatibility/made flashing the old rom not possible?
28th December 2016, 04:35 PM |#1059  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggles2114

Thanks man. What broke compatibility/made flashing the old rom not possible?

CM added functionality and flashing requirements in CM11 that made the older CWMs obsolete. And the newer CWMs would no longer work on the older zips.

26th November 2017, 06:18 AM |#1060  

More
I am kind lost all I want is to get helium to work on my nook hd to transfer files to my new devices I have enable debugging usb and turn on the mtp but helium still cant find my device I downloading the usb driver for window for bn. Do you download this to your pc or to the nook hd. What other steps do I need to take.
26th November 2018, 02:56 AM |#1061  

More
Quote:

2. Sideloading Apps

Once Unknown Sources is activated by my CWM zip above, you do not really need to install apps this way anymore.

Once you have ADB connected to your HD/HD+, it is very easy to sideload install apps. Just have your command prompt set to the location that you have your apk's stored and type "adb install xxx.apk", where xxx.apk is the name of your app. It is best to name the apk to something simple with no underlines or special characters in the name. It does not matter what you name it, the real name is inside the apk. The app should install. I would start with a launcher app since sideloaded apps cannot be seen in the stock launcher. Then I would install AnyCut which I have attached to this post. This app allows you to put the Home command on your launcher's home screen so that after you make your launcher default, you can get back to the B&N home page. There is a trick mentioned in the B&N guide referenced above that lets the stock app drawer see your sideloaded apps. On the Apps screen, hold the volume up button while you press the "Apps" word at the top of the screen for 2-3 seconds. An "Extras" screen will pop up showing all of the sideloaded apps. You have to do this every time you want to see it.

Okay, I'm a little leery of posting on here because I'm afraid I may be being redundant but I've searched for answers everywhere I know. I've been trying to sideload apps onto my kid's stock-rooted Nook HD. And I'm so super new at all of this it takes me hours to do the simplest task.

First let me just say, I know I should probably just pitch the nook because oh man... it's so old. But I adore the things for my kids' home school apps. I love the separate profiles for the lock features and the ability to turn off features to make it very safe for them. I've tried APK Extractor from an old Samsung S5 to a APK installer to the Nook HD. The files have a "Parsing Error."

The only way I've been able to get most of the incompatible apps on the nook is to use Aptoide which has been great. But the big issue here is that there is no option for me to get my paid apps from my other devices to my nook HD that have been successful.

I have done the old method only to be told by command prompt that I have to use the old KitKat method with which I am unfamiliar and can't see why it would be any different from what I tried in leainlar's original post for this thread. I made sure I had the proper SDK installed on my computer.

All that to say, has anyone had any success getting apps that are paid versions onto their nook HD/HD+'s? This is my last ditch effort before I accept the little guy for what it truly is. A old dog that can't be taught new tricks.

Please let me know if I wasn't specific enough or if there's anything you might need to know of what I did. I'm a little bashful because I'm no more than a tinkerer right now pining after every words you guys say. Thanks a million for all of your knowledge and willingness to share your time and work here on this site.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
nook hd+ hd, rooting, tips

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)