AdAway is an open source ad blocker for Android using the hosts file.
Google Play Store notice:
According the Google Play Developer Policy, especially the "Device and Network Abuse" section, ad blocker like AdAway violates the "Apps that block or interfere with another app displaying ads." rule and can't be distributed on distributed on the Play Store.
As Free and Open Source Software, AdAway is available from F-Droid Store or this XDA thread
This application requires:
- Android 4.1 Jelly Bean or above,
- A rooted device.
If you don't want to read each post of this thread, you can:
- Get a summary of all changes in the project CHANGELOG.md,
- Check any further details though the source code commits.
Stable versions are available on F-Droid Store and below:
AdAway 4.3.2 (md5: 78fde09a0e92044c45e901bb1cec8e2e) -- Latest stable version
AdAway v3.3 (shasum : BD8D44C0E3E7BDB147A50CFDCAA20A94EB97B453)
AdAway v2.9.2 (for Android versions older than Jellybean 4.1)
Problem? Read this:
* If you use Chrome and still see ads on web pages, remember to disable the "data saver" or "reduced data usage" browser option
* Check your APN settings for any proxy, the proxy itself could be allowing ads. Disable the proxy.
* After you install or make any change to AdAway, you must reboot for those changes to take effect
* If you are still having issues please read and understand all the info in the wiki before asking for help here
Otherwise, this is the right thread to discuss about it or file a bug report here.
AdAway, App for the Apps & Games
Source Code: https://github.com/AdAway/AdAway
Current Stable Version: 4.3.2
Stable Release Date: 2019-12-29
Last Updated 2019-12-30