[Nook HD+] CM10.1/SGT7 SD/Hybrid Development (ROM updated 12/31)

Search This thread

bokbokan

May 15, 2011
CM10.1 ROM with additional SGT7 Framework and Launcher enhancements for Nook HD+.

Similar development for Nook HD can also be downloaded in these threads: Pure SD and Hybrid SD/EMMC.

Features:
  • cyanoboot menu
  • Pure SD (4 Partitions)
    • Install ROM purely in SD card (Speed very dependent on SD card performance)
    • Dual boot BN Stock and CM (Need to temporarily eject SD while Stock is booting to allow it to boot completely)
  • Hybrid SD/EMMC (3 Partitions)
    • ROM System stored in SD card while Data is shared with Stock in EMMC (Better performance than pure SD)
    • Dual boot BN Stock and CM seamlessly
Installation Instructions:
  1. Download the latest CM10.1 ROM below to your internal storage using the stock BN ROM.
    While at it, you may also want to download the latest gapps-jb-20130301 here.
  2. Depending on the type of installation decided, download one of the zip files below to your PC.
    • Pure SD - sdcard-cwm-ovation-sdv1.img.zip
    • Hybrid SD/EMMC - sdcard-cwm-ovation-hybridv3.zip *** updated 6/12 ***
      For existing hybrid installation, extract file from update.20130612.ramdisk-hybrid.hd+.zip and overwrite ramdisk.hybrid of the boot partition using your PC. Boot and your hybrid setup will now be running under the latest version.
      (This will format data in the EMMC stored by leapinlar's HD+ hybrid installation. Use Pure SD installation instead if preserving previous hybrid installation is so desired) Edited: Look here for instruction from leapinlar in preserving previous data.
  3. Extract the downloaded file in step 2 and write the resulting image into the SD card using any appropriate tool. (All data in the card will be destroyed)
  4. Turn the Nook HD+ off and insert the newly written card into its SD slot.
  5. When the device is turned on again, it should be able to boot from the SD card now. (For some SD cards not booting, look here)
  6. The cyanoboot screen will appear at the initial boot. (Do not interrupt during this process. The device will reboot once if installing the Hybrid)
  7. Wait until the CWM Recovery is displayed. (At this point in time, the SD card will be properly partitioned and formatted, ready for ROM flashing)
  8. Install the downloaded ROM in by selecting install zip from sdcard -> choose zip from internal sdcard -> file downloaded in step 1. Do the same with gapps (optional).
  9. Reboot the device and CM10.1 should start booting.
  10. Wait until the ROM is properly booted the first time. (It may take a while and blank/distorted screens may be encountered during this time)
  11. Enjoy your new CM10.1/SGT7.
Update Instructions:
  1. Download the latest CM10.1 ROM below to your internal storage using the stock BN ROM/CM10.1.
  2. Boot into CWM Recovery.
  3. Install the downloaded ROM by selecting install zip from sdcard -> choose zip from internal sdcard -> file downloaded in step 1. No need to reinstall gapps.
  4. Reboot.
Downloads: Updates are regularly merged from upstreams unless a local mod was done which is always accompanied by a changelog.
cm-10.1-20131230-UNOFFICIAL-ovation*** latest ***
  • Boot animation fixed
cm-10.1-20131201-UNOFFICIAL-ovation

cm-10.1-20131108-UNOFFICIAL-ovation

cm-10.1-20131028-UNOFFICIAL-ovation

cm-10.1-20131021-UNOFFICIAL-ovation

cm-10.1-20131016-UNOFFICIAL-ovation

cm-10.1-20131006-UNOFFICIAL-ovation

cm-10.1-20130929-UNOFFICIAL-ovation

cm-10.1-20130924-UNOFFICIAL-ovation

cm-10.1-20130919-UNOFFICIAL-ovation

cm-10.1-20130915-UNOFFICIAL-ovation

cm-10.1-20130911-UNOFFICIAL-ovation

cm-10.1-20130903-UNOFFICIAL-ovation

cm-10.1-20130829-UNOFFICIAL-ovation

cm-10.1-20130828-UNOFFICIAL-ovation

cm-10.1-20130826-UNOFFICIAL-ovation

cm-10.1-20130812-UNOFFICIAL-ovation
  • Increased audio levels

cm-10.1-20130807-UNOFFICIAL-ovation
  • Added USB host mode to Quick Settings
cm-10.1-20130804-UNOFFICIAL-ovation
  • Integrated new "Nook Tweaks" heading under Settings. Currently only Forced USB Host option is available (No need for verygreen's switcher anymore). Checking 'Set on boot' will restore setting after a reboot.
  • USB storage now automatically mounted.
cm-10.1-20130801-UNOFFICIAL-ovation
  • Added kernel support for verygreen's Forced USBHost Switcher. (Please test).
cm-10.1-20130728-UNOFFICIAL-ovation

cm-10.1-20130723-UNOFFICIAL-ovation

cm-10.1-20130718-UNOFFICIAL-ovation

cm-10.1-20130716-UNOFFICIAL-ovation

cm-10.1-20130714-UNOFFICIAL-ovation

cm-10.1-20130711-UNOFFICIAL-ovation

cm-10.1-20130707-UNOFFICIAL-ovation

cm-10.1-20130705-UNOFFICIAL-ovation

cm-10.1-20130702-UNOFFICIAL-ovation

cm-10.1-20130630-UNOFFICIAL-ovation

cm-10.1-20130628-UNOFFICIAL-ovation

cm-10.1-20130627-UNOFFICIAL-ovation
  • Initial port of Paranoid Android's HALO by sgt7. To enable: Settings->System->HALO->Activate HALO.
cm-10.1-20130625-UNOFFICIAL-ovation

cm-10.1-20130623-UNOFFICIAL-ovation

cm-10.1-20130617-UNOFFICIAL-ovation

cm-10.1-20130615-UNOFFICIAL-ovation
  • Fixed: Missing menu icon
  • Working: Wi-Fi Direct (Tested with my HD)
  • Tethering and hotspot
    • Working: Wi-Fi hotpsot
    • Not yet tested: USB Tethering
    • Not yet working: BT Tethering
  • Note for hybrid setup: Need to extract ramdisk.hybrid from update.20130616.ramdisk-hybrid.hd+.zip into the SD card boot partition.
cm-10.1-20130611-UNOFFICIAL-ovation
cm-10.1-20130607-UNOFFICIAL-ovation
  • Fixed: Intermittent boot problem.
  • Note for hybrid setup: Need to extract ramdisk.hybrid from update-6-8.zip into the SD card boot partition.
cm-10.1-20130602-UNOFFICIAL-ovation
  • Fixed: WIFI slowing down the AP where it is connected.
cm-10.1-20130529-UNOFFICIAL-ovation

cm-10.1-20130528-UNOFFICIAL-ovation
Sources:
Thanks to verygreen, fattire, leapinlar and sgt7 team for their works.

Last edited:

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Since bokbokan's new HD+ hybrid setup formats my Hybrid data on internal memory, you may want to boot to my Hybrid CWM first and make a backup to internal storage. Then after you use bokbokan's SD to setup and install the ROM and gapps, you should be able to use his CWM to do an advanced restore of data only from internal storage then you will have your apps back. And you probably do want to update to his image because he has made the cyanoboot menu work. And with his zips there is no reason to run my converter zip.

Thanks bokbokan.

Sent from my Nook HD+ running CM10.1 on emmc.

Reactions: adwait8 and dbrickg

mikelav456

Dec 12, 2011
Since bokbokan's new HD+ hybrid setup formats my Hybrid data on internal memory, you may want to boot to my Hybrid CWM first and make a backup to internal storage. Then after you use bokbokan's SD to setup and install the ROM and gapps, you should be able to use his CWM to do an advanced restore of data only from internal storage then you will have your apps back. And you probably do want to update to his image because he has made the cyanoboot menu work. And with his zips there is no reason to run my converter zip.

Thanks bokbokan.

Sent from my Nook HD+ running CM10.1 on emmc.

So is this the result of what you and verygreen were discussing in sd development thread or is that separate from this?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
So is this the result of what you and verygreen were discussing in sd development thread or is that separate from this?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app
This is bokbokan's own development, independent of what verygreen has decided to do with his new SD scheme.

I am terminating my Hybrid development because verygreen's new scheme is not compatible with my Hybrid and bokbokan's Hybrid is superior to mine. His Cyanoboot menu works and his ROMs come ready for Hybrid with no need for conversion.

Sent from my Nook HD+ running CM10 on Hybrid SD

mikelav456

Dec 12, 2011
CM10.1 ROM with additional SGT7 Framework and Launcher enhancements for Nook HD+.

Similar development for Nook HD can also be downloaded in these threads. Pure SD and Hybrid SD/EMMC.

Features:
  • cyanoboot menu
  • Pure SD (4 Partitions)
    • Install ROM purely in SD card (Speed very dependent on SD card performance)
    • Dual boot BN Stock and CM (Need to temporarily eject SD while Stock is booting to allow it to boot properly)
  • Hybrid SD/EMMC (3 Partitions)
    • ROM System stored in SD card while Data is shared with Stock in EMMC (Better performance than pure SD)
    • Dual boot BN Stock and CM seamlessly

Thank you leapinlar!

bokbokan, I'm excited to try out your setup. Question, if I use the hybrid method (in order to achieve a more stable device on my c10 64gb sd card), how will the different storages be handled? If I download something or if I set something to "on device" in the google play apps (basically cache it long-term), will it store the information on the external card (64gb) or the emmc? Thanks for your help!

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Thank you leapinlar!

bokbokan, I'm excited to try out your setup. Question, if I use the hybrid method (in order to achieve a more stable device on my c10 64gb sd card), how will the different storages be handled? If I download something or if I set something to "on device" in the google play apps (basically cache it long-term), will it store the information on the external card (64gb) or the emmc? Thanks for your help!
If you are asking whether downloads go to external SD vs internal like some of verygreen's newer ROMs do, I suspect they go to external SD.

Last edited:

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Very cool guys. Thanks for the hard work.

I used to use LeapinLar's method before. So I assume this mod will enabled root apps and/or external sources apps to install without any added steps?
I assume you are talking about my stock mods? This is a CM10.1 ROM for SD and it comes rooted already. But you have to activate unknown sources yourself by going to settings, security and checking off unknown sources.

I assume you are talking about my stock mods? This is a CM10.1 ROM for SD and it comes rooted already. But you have to activate unknown sources yourself by going to settings, security and checking off unknown sources.

yes leapinlar, that was what i was talking about. I will go ahead and make those changes.

thanks!

Aug 17, 2010
I apologize if this is a dumb question, but I am slightly confused here. How is this different than what LeapinLar has been doing?

Sent from my Barnes & Noble Nook HD+ using xda app-developers app

Just kidding, I think I am understanding it better. Can we still use Leapinlars CWM to flash this ROM?

Last edited:

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I apologize if this is a dumb question, but I am slightly confused here. How is this different than what LeapinLar has been doing?

Sent from my Barnes & Noble Nook HD+ using xda app-developers app

Just kidding, I think I am understanding it better. Can we still use Leapinlars CWM to flash this ROM?
No you can't use mine. Mine is for stock. This is for SD. And if you mean my hybrid, you should start over with his. See my earlier post on that subject.

mikelav456

Dec 12, 2011
So I went for the Hybrid version and here is my initial report:

The device did not at first boot to the SD card. I had to restart the device a few times while holding different variations of buttons to get it to boot from sd. Once I got into CWM, everything went very smooth. The ROM itself was working really well and I was setting it up and everything was running smooth. Google Play Books kept crashing on me so I decided to do a reboot to see if that would help. The device again would not boot into CM (but rather booted into stock) without various reboots by me, so that's frustrating. But even worse, when it finally did start to boot from SD, I keep getting stuck at the cyanboot loading page where it says on the bottom that it's loading hybrid from SD. It never progresses passed that stage....so I can't access the ROM....so I'm stuck. Any advice???

bokbokan

May 15, 2011
So I went for the Hybrid version and here is my initial report:

The device did not at first boot to the SD card. I had to restart the device a few times while holding different variations of buttons to get it to boot from sd. Once I got into CWM, everything went very smooth. The ROM itself was working really well and I was setting it up and everything was running smooth. Google Play Books kept crashing on me so I decided to do a reboot to see if that would help. The device again would not boot into CM (but rather booted into stock) without various reboots by me, so that's frustrating. But even worse, when it finally did start to boot from SD, I keep getting stuck at the cyanboot loading page where it says on the bottom that it's loading hybrid from SD. It never progresses passed that stage....so I can't access the ROM....so I'm stuck. Any advice???

The problem of most SD cards not booting when you initially turn on the device is that they are not "properly" detected right away that is why it will not boot from SD (that is they can not be cold booted). Though they are having problems cold booting, they can easily be booted by a simple OS reboot (warm booting). Shutting down the stock and turning it on is already "cold booting" so it will always boot into stock. You need to root your stock and install app like "Quick Boot (reboot)". Everytime it booted into stock, simply use the app to reboot and normally it should now boot from SD.
Sometimes my version of CM10.1 would not boot because of the graphic subsystem not initializing right away, a simple reboot should do it.

Top Liked Posts