Rooting the LG Exalt LTE from Verizon (LG VN220) - Request for Advice

Search This thread

InfectedPackets

Sep 3, 2017
TL.DR; Trying to root new Verizon Android flip-phone with Marshmallow 6.0.1, ARMv7. Firmware version: VN22010B. Seems to to be locked down.

I'm trying to root the LG Exalt LTE, or LG VN220, from Verizon. Initially, I've attempted the common rooting kits, such as KingoRoot as well as the tools described around XDA. However all failed. I suspect the cause to be the restrictive permissions of /data/local/tmp, which prevents execution of binaries. I believe any kit using this location will likely fail to achieve anything.

As such, I've been looking to achieve the same using manual techniques. The first step, as in most rooting activity is to put the device into USB debugging mode. To do this on the VN220, first compose ##7764726220. When asked for a service code, use 000000 to access a special menu. Select the Developer Options > USB Debugging and select On. There is an additional menu below named Select USB configuration, from which you can select Media Transfer Protocol or RNDIS among other options.

With that done, you can verify that you can now communicate with the device via ADB. To do so, download the Minimal ADB and Fastboot bundle. While I was successful in querying the device with ADB with
Code:
adb devices

Trying to use fastboot simply outputs "< waiting for device >" indefinitively. It is also possible to open a shell using ADB, however attempting ADB with root will fail. I don't think this is caused by having wrong drivers, as all the other tools could detect the phone (see below), but rather a permission issue.

From there, I've try to boot in different modes, which are accessible by turning off the phone, and then powering up the device while holding the Volume Down button. This will boot into a white screen with some options, including the "Safe Mode" option which I attempted. The second mode is the "Firmware Upgrade" mode which is accessible by again, powering down the phone and powering it up again, but this time holding the Volume Up for 3 seconds.

Attempting to run the following fails:
Code:
fastboot oem unlock
That being said, I later found out that LG does provides a legitimate way to unlock the bootloader via their LG developer portal. Unfortunately the VN220 is not in the list of supported devices, nor does the procedure given applies to this phone. Additionally, it requires the device ID which fails also since it requires fastboot:
Code:
fastboot oem device-id

The other attempt I've tried is using the LG Mobile Support Too l and while it was useful to obtain the KDZ file from their website, it also failed to apply the update. LGUP didn't recognise the model. (Note that both requires the USB mode to be RNDIS to detect the phone)

Trying to run apps from the internal storage such as su or even using the chmod command only results in "Operation not permitted" messages. So even temporary root seems rather difficult.

At this point, I'd like to know if anyone has any advice on additional things I could try to root the phone, or even have temporary root.

Thanks in advance
@cyberrecce

Why?

First of all thank you, I've been looking for that service code to enable developer settings / adb since I discovered the phone secretly runs Android. But I don't see why we would need root, I've been using adb to side load apps since I can't get to a menu that allows it

InfectedPackets

Sep 3, 2017
First of all thank you, I've been looking for that service code to enable developer settings / adb since I discovered the phone secretly runs Android. But I don't see why we would need root, I've been using adb to side load apps since I can't get to a menu that allows it

1. Why? To install a custom ROM.
2. Did you get any issue with certificates when side-loading apps? I keep getting INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_INCONSISTENT_CERTIFICATES. Can't seem to find the "Install from Unknown Sources" option.

MendilR

Oct 9, 2017
Same problem

2. Did you get any issue with certificates when side-loading apps? I keep getting INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_INCONSISTENT_CERTIFICATES. Can't seem to find the "Install from Unknown Sources" option.

i get the same error. did you find a solution? i would really appreciate it

Dec 28, 2017

i get the same error. did you find a solution? i would really appreciate it

re: the certificate error for side loading apps...
Code:
adb shell settings put secure install_non_market_apps 1
turns off the unknown source block, but I'm still getting INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_INCONSISTENT_CERTIFICATES
Could the apk itself I'm trying to use have a bad certificate? Or is there another solution?

Last edited:

PAULC91316

Apr 28, 2008
I'm trying to root the LG Exalt LTE, or LG VN220, from Verizon. Initially, I've attempted the common rooting kits, such as KingoRoot as well as the tools described around XDA. However all failed. I suspect the cause to be the restrictive permissions of /data/local/tmp, which prevents execution of binaries. I believe any kit using this location will likely fail to achieve anything.

As such, I've been looking to achieve the same using manual techniques. The first step, as in most rooting activity is to put the device into USB debugging mode. To do this on the VN220, first compose ##7764726220. When asked for a service code, use 000000 to access a special menu. Select the Developer Options > USB Debugging and select On. There is an additional menu below named Select USB configuration, from which you can select Media Transfer Protocol or RNDIS among other options.

With that done, you can verify that you can now communicate with the device via ADB. To do so, download the Minimal ADB and Fastboot bundle. While I was successful in querying the device with ADB with
Code:
adb devices

Trying to use fastboot simply outputs "< waiting for device >" indefinitively. It is also possible to open a shell using ADB, however attempting ADB with root will fail. I don't think this is caused by having wrong drivers, as all the other tools could detect the phone (see below), but rather a permission issue.

From there, I've try to boot in different modes, which are accessible by turning off the phone, and then powering up the device while holding the Volume Down button. This will boot into a white screen with some options, including the "Safe Mode" option which I attempted. The second mode is the "Firmware Upgrade" mode which is accessible by again, powering down the phone and powering it up again, but this time holding the Volume Up for 3 seconds.

Code:
fastboot oem unlock
That being said, I later found out that LG does provides a legitimate way to unlock the bootloader via their LG developer portal. Unfortunately the VN220 is not in the list of supported devices, nor does the procedure given applies to this phone. Additionally, it requires the device ID which fails also since it requires fastboot:
Code:
fastboot oem device-id

The other attempt I've tried is using the LG Mobile Support Too l and while it was useful to obtain the KDZ file from their website, it also failed to apply the update. LGUP didn't recognise the model. (Note that both requires the USB mode to be RNDIS to detect the phone)

Trying to run apps from the internal storage such as su or even using the chmod command only results in "Operation not permitted" messages. So even temporary root seems rather difficult.

At this point, I'd like to know if anyone has any advice on additional things I could try to root the phone, or even have temporary root.

Thanks in advance
@cyberrecce

Just curious - any success or updates. I can't seem to get past " INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_INCONSISTENT_CERTIFICATES"

Dec 28, 2017
For installing apps I'm still not getting past INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_INCONSISTENT_CERTIFICATES

I even tried pulling an apk from my LG G4 that successfully installed on that device and tried installing it on the Exalt, but same error.

The biggest reason I've seen for the INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_INCONSISTENT_CERTIFICATES is apks that are signed poorly. When I check the apks I'm using for their signatures with the JDK it says one or more of their signatures lack a timestamp which can cause problems.

Also, downloading the apk from the Exalt's browser and trying to install from either
settings > phone settings > storage > phone > explore > downloads > open > install
or
tools > file manager > internal storage > downloads > open > install
has been coming up with "app not installed" after it tries to install the apk.

I'm not really giving up though, I just don't really know where to go from here.

Last edited:

PAULC91316

Apr 28, 2008
For installing apps I'm still not getting past INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_INCONSISTENT_CERTIFICATES

I even tried pulling an apk from my LG G4 that successfully installed on that device and tried installing it on the Exalt, but same error.

The biggest reason I've seen for the INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_INCONSISTENT_CERTIFICATES is apks that are signed poorly. When I check the apks I'm using for their signatures with the JDK it says one or more of their signatures lack a timestamp which can cause problems.

Also, downloading the apk from the Exalt's browser and trying to install from either
settings > phone settings > storage > phone > explore > downloads > open > install
or

I'm not really giving up though, I just don't really know where to go from here.

Any ideas on how to get past - "INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_INCONSISTENT_CERTIFICATES"?

Dec 28, 2017
Any ideas on how to get past - "INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_INCONSISTENT_CERTIFICATES"?

I'm still at the same place I was the other day when I posted this.

or

I'm not really giving up though, I just don't really know where to go from
here.

Last edited:

trythat1

Nov 6, 2015
Can you please share with us the KDZ file?
Thanks!

r3w1NNNd

Jul 13, 2012
/system/xbin
You will need to:
- unlock it’s Bootloader. If the “fastboot oem unlock” command will not work (and I’m quite sure it will not, since we’re talking about a USA LG device), you can stop here and throw the phone out the window.
- if by some any miracle you will be able to unlock the bootloader, you have two ways of rooting it:
1. Using TWRP and a superuser zip file (magisk or the now Chinese owned supersu). The main problem with this is that you will need to compile TWRP yourself, since I doubt anyone will bother for such an obscure device.
2. Using a prerooted boot image. You will need the stock boot image, install the latest magisk manager, let it root it and then flash it via fastboot. This is particularly difficult because you will need to decrypt the kdz file (if any available) in order to get the boot.img
Even if by a greater miracle you will be able to get 1 or 2 working, there still is a huge chance that the fastboot flash command will be disabled.
Forget about solutions like king/kingoroot. Best case scenario they will fail. Worst case scenario they will softbrick the phone by gaining temporary root and then modifying /system. That will in turn trigger dm-verity which will cause the soft brick.
Forget about the scams like oneclickroot. Their so called techs will try the aforementioned and fail and you will waste your $40.
Sorry To deliver the bad news, but there’s no way out of it.

98jbsz

Apr 3, 2018
Thanks for taking your time, to help me.
I will check if I can unlock the bootloader.
Thanks alot

Dec 28, 2017
You will need to:
- unlock it’s Bootloader. If the “fastboot oem unlock” command will not work (and I’m quite sure it will not, since we’re talking about a USA LG device), you can stop here and throw the phone out the window.
- if by some any miracle you will be able to unlock the bootloader, you have two ways of rooting it:
1. Using TWRP and a superuser zip file (magisk or the now Chinese owned supersu). The main problem with this is that you will need to compile TWRP yourself, since I doubt anyone will bother for such an obscure device.
2. Using a prerooted boot image. You will need the stock boot image, install the latest magisk manager, let it root it and then flash it via fastboot. This is particularly difficult because you will need to decrypt the kdz file (if any available) in order to get the boot.img
Even if by a greater miracle you will be able to get 1 or 2 working, there still is a huge chance that the fastboot flash command will be disabled.
Forget about solutions like king/kingoroot. Best case scenario they will fail. Worst case scenario they will softbrick the phone by gaining temporary root and then modifying /system. That will in turn trigger dm-verity which will cause the soft brick.
Forget about the scams like oneclickroot. Their so called techs will try the aforementioned and fail and you will waste your $40.
Sorry To deliver the bad news, but there’s no way out of it.

Any sage advice on the [INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_INCONSISTENT_CERTIFICATES] issue when sideloading apps?
@jfn0802 said they had success with sideloading, but haven't been online in ages, and none of the rest of us seem to have had the same success. Minimum, that's what I would like to accomplish.

[side note, has anyone switched from Verizon with this phone? I'm looking to, but I'm wondering a couple of things like, does verizon have the mobile hotspot function restricted from use on other carriers? & etc & just wondering how it's doing off-verizon for anyone.]

98jbsz

Apr 3, 2018
Any sage advice on the [INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_INCONSISTENT_CERTIFICATES] issue when sideloading apps?
@jfn0802 said they had success with sideloading, but haven't been online in ages, and none of the rest of us seem to have had the same success. Minimum, that's what I would like to accomplish.

[side note, has anyone switched from Verizon with this phone? I'm looking to, but I'm wondering a couple of things like, does verizon have the mobile hotspot function restricted from use on other carriers? & etc & just wondering how it's doing off-verizon for anyone.]

my freinds are using it in Canada with videotron and everything works, without unlocking

Reactions: effulgent.unicorn

98jbsz

Apr 3, 2018
Just to add a clue what to look at, I think these devices are from Verizon and they are blocking anonymous apps from being installed

Yes right, but how can I go around it?
Ps. I was able to uninstall apps (I removed my Verizon)
With adb shell, as the user 0, but with adb normal uninstall didn't work, but when I try to install with adb shell, it gave the same certificate erorr

Dec 28, 2017
Just to add a clue what to look at, I think these devices are from Verizon and they are blocking anonymous apps from being installed

Isn't that what turning on the "install from unknown sources" option should do? I still get the Install Parse Failed after switching it on with ADB.
@98jbsz I've tried to uninstall without success. What way did you do it? And does it just leave a blank space in the menu screen?

[Less on topic, sorry again, but has anyone seen the LG Wine LTE? http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-UN220-lg-wine
It's strikingly similar to our friend the Exalt LTE here, but it seems less carrier branded/available at US Cellular, so I'm wondering if that would make a difference?
Major differences Wine LTE has more 4G bands (2/4/5/12/25) versus Exalt (4/5/13), which kind of has me kicking myself, because travel and 4G was one of the reasons I bought the Exalt. Both have quadband GSM and WCDMA, but interestingly the Wine also has CDMA.
Beyond that, there are some more smaller differences I scavenged from their LG pages, Exalt has more bluetooth profiles, supports more music formats, has more GPS capabilities, wifi calling, and 1 more ringtone. Wine has more supported video formats, and an FM radio.
I'm curious about what/if the Wine would have for sms messaging (I doubt it'd have Verizon's message+) and instead of my Verizon app...]

Dec 28, 2017
With adb shell, as the user 0, but with adb normal uninstall didn't work, but when I try to install with adb shell, it gave the same certificate erorr

Alright, I also managed to uninstall my verizon and verizon's cloud app using
Code:
adb shell and the pm uninstall -k --user 0
But the Verizon apps folder on the menu screen remains, although it's empty. Any ideas on how to remove it?

Then I tried to install an apk using
Code:
pm install
and it came back with [INSTALL_FAILED_INVALID_URI] which...is a different than [INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_INCONSISTENT_CERTIFICATES], but not better.

Reactions: 98jbsz

98jbsz

Apr 3, 2018
right, but when you first copy the APK to the phone, and then you install it, you will see the [INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_INCONSISTENT_CERTIFICATES] error. still not a solution

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TL.DR; Trying to root new Verizon Android flip-phone with Marshmallow 6.0.1, ARMv7. Firmware version: VN22010B. Seems to to be locked down.

Code:
    adb devices

Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
    Code:
    fastboot oem device-id

Thanks in advance
    @cyberrecce

my freinds are using it in Canada with videotron and everything works, without unlocking

Alright, I also managed to uninstall my verizon and verizon's cloud app using
    Code:
    adb shell and the pm uninstall -k --user 0
    But the Verizon apps folder on the menu screen remains, although it's empty. Any ideas on how to remove it?

Then I tried to install an apk using
    Code:
    pm install
    and it came back with [INSTALL_FAILED_INVALID_URI] which...is a different than [INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_INCONSISTENT_CERTIFICATES], but not better.
    How do I network unlock this phone to use with other carriers? I can't find even on the paid sites the option to unlock this model.

Verizon doesn't carrier lock their phones anymore. This version of the phone shouldn't be locked.

When I switched off Verizon I had to take the Verizon sim from the Exalt and put it in another compatible phone and make a call with it, but that was all it took and then the Exalt worked fine with my new sim.

Another thing to double check would be that it has compatible bands for the carrier you're trying to get it onto. It /shouldn't/ be a problem since the Exalt has quad band GSM as well as CDMA, though, but double check.