[APP] BLN control - the official BLN settings app by neldar

Search This thread

zibiksior

Dec 8, 2009
Warsaw
this is speedmod kernell issue, not really neldar's problem... works in K12F...
please tell hardcore about it, I told him several times, but either he missed it, or didn't want to bother with it :(

I installed super optimized kernel few minutes ago and I still have this problem so it's not only speedmod problem I think. I will try later other kernels with BLN to chceck this and I will tell you if it's working.

massappeal16

Nov 30, 2010
Is there ever going to be a way to specify which icon at the bottom you want to light up for certain missed things? Like one for calls, one for texts, one for emails....

Protonus

Aug 7, 2008
Webster, NY
protonus.ws
Neldar: Any plans to implement the single button backlight option that the author of Blinky posted about? Would be great to light one button for e-mail, another for calls, another for SMS, etc.

today i'm little un-happy because i see that every day there is a new version of you program.

I gotta say, I sorta see where this guy is coming from. To me, it's the blinking support that's killing me with all these updates. I REALLY wish this app hadn't added blinking - considering the Blinky app already does - it adds a lot of complexity to the code and a lot of functionality I don't intend to use, seems like most every build in the last month has been related to an issue with Blinking. Would be great if the blinking support was either it's own app or broken out to a separate version of the progam.

I do not understand why a person would even want the lights to blink! I purposefully made my other phones NOT blink whenever possible - the light being on is more than sufficient as they are not normally on when the screen is off. I don't see why you need to have them blink too to call attention to them - especially at the cost of increased battery draw / wakelock!

Tråget

Nov 3, 2010
Oxelösund
About indication for fully charged battery!

There is a way, but the problem is, that the led would also be activated if the battery is on low level.

I'm not a programmer so I Might be completely off. But cant you just tell it to blink when battery is 100%, just like a battery app can read the battery? In other words, you don't have to call the system string that tells the led to glow, but instead it just reads the battery-level, starts blinking at 100% and stops blinking when you disconnect the charger!?!

As I said earlier, I'm not a programmer, but it does not seam completely impossible. Does it?

Last edited:

651stp

Feb 21, 2008
Minneapolis
Hi Neldar, I love this app and it works perfectly on my samsung Vibrant. I rescently bough A Nexus S and was wondering if it may be possible for you to port it to the NS. Im sure it will be vary usefull to all the NS owners and more. Thanks for your consideration.

airskape

Aug 20, 2010
does this work with darky's rom v8.0? i'm assuming it should because it was included in the rom..that's the only reason i found out about this app. however, when i run the "test" and press the power button, nothing happens. the backlight buttons do not light up or anything..

posted in darky's thread but that thread gets flooded and posts get missed/unread/etc..

jetcz

Oct 18, 2010
hk
does this work with darky's rom v8.0? i'm assuming it should because it was included in the rom..that's the only reason i found out about this app. however, when i run the "test" and press the power button, nothing happens. the backlight buttons do not light up or anything..

posted in darky's thread but that thread gets flooded and posts get missed/unread/etc..

make sure you have it enabled in cwm

neldar

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 4, 2010
twitter.com
Neldar: Any plans to implement the single button backlight option that the author of Blinky posted about? Would be great to light one button for e-mail, another for calls, another for SMS, etc.

At the i9000 it is not possible to light up the the single leds, i tested that a few weeks ago and past weekend again, after guardian_bob found that it is possible with the captivate. The touchkey firmware of the i9000 and of the us-phones are different.

Does the blinking only come with the paid version?

Yes, or use the blinky app.

Hi Neldar, I love this app and it works perfectly on my samsung Vibrant. I rescently bough A Nexus S and was wondering if it may be possible for you to port it to the NS. Im sure it will be vary usefull to all the NS owners and more. Thanks for your consideration.

I already had a look at the nexus s sources and there is no way documented to control the touchkey backlight.
So i need access to a nexus s to check if there is an undocumented way.

If the control app did not throw a warning, then it should work.
Dont forget to turn the screen of... ;)

massappeal16

Nov 30, 2010
What is the blinky app? I searched But nothing came up for that name...

DJ05 - SuperClean - Blackish - StupidFast

hamz22

Jul 11, 2008
Warrnambool
Blinking is working for short time or it's not wroking, its random.

just an FYI i have the same problem here. either it doesnt blink at all on a missed call or txt or it will only blink for a couple minutes, despite setting it to blink unlimited. everything appears to be ok when set to constantly lit. im on darky's rom version 8. i wasnt sure if to post this here or on darky's massive thread. i'll stick to the led's being constantly lit until the blinking issue is resolved

danonb

Dec 4, 2010
just an FYI i have the same problem here. either it doesnt blink at all on a missed call or txt or it will only blink for a couple minutes, despite setting it to blink unlimited. everything appears to be ok when set to constantly lit. im on darky's rom version 8. i wasnt sure if to post this here or on darky's massive thread. i'll stick to the led's being constantly lit until the blinking issue is resolved

Ditto - I've set mine to blink 2 sec on, 2 sec off for 30min; however it is just staying on constantly.

Overall, it still does what it's meant to to (notifiy with BLN), but not perfect yet.

More than happy to help with testing though.

Cheers

zibiksior

Dec 8, 2009
Warsaw

Ditto - I've set mine to blink 2 sec on, 2 sec off for 30min; however it is just staying on constantly.

Overall, it still does what it's meant to to (notifiy with BLN), but not perfect yet.

More than happy to help with testing though.

Cheers

Do you guys have SpeedMod Kernel on your phones? If yes I'm trying to do something with that. I wrote to hardcore about this problem and we will see what he will do. Of course if it's problem with his kernel only but people are complaing for that only on his kernel.

Protonus

Aug 7, 2008
Webster, NY
protonus.ws
At the i9000 it is not possible to light up the the single leds, i tested that a few weeks ago and past weekend again, after guardian_bob found that it is possible with the captivate. The touchkey firmware of the i9000 and of the us-phones are different.

Well, I have a Fascinate which is a US phone, is it possible with that? Could you add support for it as such? Or are you saying because you don't have a US phone, you don't plan to do it because you can't test it? I'm willing to test whatever... Already having paid for your app I don't want to switch to blinky for this feature.

alucard66

Sep 2, 2010
Hi neldar, i'm using pro version cause think blink is a must have ;)

Few days ago i flashed my SGS with speedMod kernel, version K12I, and the blink goes crazy. Sometimes it work, and other just the leds stay on (no blink). I noticed that many people experience the same problem, so i give a shoot to other kernel. Today flashed voodoo v69.3 but it just the same, the blink made what it want.
Searching i found this blinky app, and tried. The blink goes perfect.

Don't know what could be the problem so i would appreciate your opinion

zibiksior

Dec 8, 2009
Warsaw
I didn't know about blinky app but I'm installing it right now. If it will work I will use it until "oryginal" app start working.

Edit: I just tried this blinky app and I have good news! Everything is working very good! So blinking problem is not in kernel but in neldars's app. Neldar you have to improve this if you want people to buy your app;)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This app does only work, if you have a kernel with BacklightNotification (bln) mod on your phone installed.

Go and get BLN for Samsung i9000 Eclair, Froyo or Gingerbread or any other kernel/rom with BacklightNotification support.
    Or visit this page to view a list with supported phones by BLN.

What is the BLN mod?
    The BLN mod turns the touchkey backlights into a notification led.
    It enables the notification led api for any android application that supports notifications by led.
    If you dont have the BLN mod installed, the app provides you instructions how to install the BLN mod.

What does this app?
    This application gives you control over the BacklightNotification (bln) mod settings on your phone.

What features does the Free version have?
    • enable/disable BacklightNotification function (without uninstalling bln)
    • test BacklightNotification
    • update notification (notifies you about new BLN app, liblights or kernel releases)

Additional features in the Pro version:
    • widget
    • scheduler (disable BLN at night, ...)
    • locale plug-in(s) for: bln status, blinking, scheduler, static led, notification led
    • adjustable timeout of static led notification
    • blinking**:
      • adjustable on/off led period
      • adjustable overall blinking duration (5-60 minutes or unlimited)
      • select led status after blinking ends(on/off)
      • stop blinking if battery is below a selectable % level
    • adds led notifications for:
      • missed calls

** Please notice that blinking consumes more energy than static backlight!

Download the app from market:
    Free | Pro
    attachment.php

The price for the Pro version is 0.99€ (~ 1.99 US$).
    The Pro version is available at the android market (creditcard) and at androidpit (paypal, clickandbuy).

If you find an issue, please report it here in the thread.

Which features will be added to future Pro versions?
    • suggest me a feature

What permissions are used for which features?
    • RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED: to activate BLN at boot and start the services
    • INTERNET: for update notification (new BLN app, liblights or kernel releases - you can disable the notification in the update settings) and for the compatibility check (the app receive instructions for you, if the app detects that something is wrong with the BLN setup)
    • READ_PHONE_STATE: to detect if an incoming call could become a missed call
    • WAKE_LOCK: services & schedule (reactivating interrupted led notifications, froyo only)

Translations already done:
    • Dutch
    • French
    • German
    • Japanese
    • Korean
    • Russian
    • Spanish
    • Swedish

The initial translations into Dutch, French, Russian and Spanish have been realized at crowdin.net with the help of adequacy, andifds, elroy911, HERVEG, HTCDevil, Jaax, jbnitro, ravexx, Rebel2k and Shaymelmed. Thank you.
    The translations into Japanese, Korean and Swedish have been realized at icanlocalize.com.

Translations pending:
    • Chinese (Simplified) - suspended, no sufficient Chinese market service
    • Chinese (Traditional) - see above
    • Czech
    • Italian
    • Polish

Kernel-devs / rom cookers: Please do only integrate the FREE version of this app into your releases.
    BLN pro will work for JVP version (gingerbread 2.3.4 ) ? :confused:

For all having trouble with JVP, i compiled a patched services.jar. It contains both liblights and services.jar, to have BLN working with any kernel supporting it on JVP. To be installed from CWM recovery.

Tried on Juwe's 5.0 working with stock sms, calls, mail, etc.

Hope it helps!

Thanks to neldar for his great job.
    Thanks to Virnik for his update package & script.
    FAQ:

How do i enable led notification for ...?
    • touchwiz sms: notification is only possible if you use another sms app (e.g. Go SMS) or if you use a patched sms app or a patched services.jar
    • touchwiz email: notification by default
    • gmail: notification by default
    • Google talk: notification by default
    • calendar: download "Calendar notifier" app from market (alternative)
    • call: BLN control - Pro from market
    • any other apps:
      ask the author of the app for notification led support

The led notification is enabled in app xyz, but it still dont work, why?
    This only a problem of Android >= 2.3. Led notifications in Android >= 2.3 do only work if the screen is powered off. You can not trigger a led notification while the screen is powered on and any led notification is automatically dismissed if the screen becomes powered on. This is a general "problem" of all gingerbread phones. This behavior is a design decision of the asop team and they think this is not important enough to be mentioned in the Android SDK documentation. The BLN control app has a workaround implemented for the internal call, locale/tasker plug-in & test notification. Any other apps may have also a option to disable the screen before these apps try to trigger led notifications (e.g. Go SMS).

How much does this modification affect battery life?
    With backlight notification permanently powered on, the battery lasts around 82 hours (around 3,5 days, 1,22% per hour). This means, that activated backlights will increase battery usage by about 0,18% per hour. If there is no backlight notification ongoing, battery life is normal (around 96 hours, 1,04% per hour). Measurements were made on a i9000 (eclair) with enabled flight mode.

The sgs2 does currently (6th august 2011) rely on a kernel wakelock, that does affect the battery more than on other phones.
    This is an exception from the general bln behavior and may hopefully change in future.

How do you test the battery consumption? This is a common and reliable method.

Could you add a fade feature?
    That is only possible on some phones, most hardware is limited (by controller firmware) to simple on/off. Maybe I add these capability in the future.

The blinking or the missed call notification of the pro app are not reliably working, what is wrong?
    The lowmemorykiller of your phone is configured with too aggressive settings, thereby the app services are killed and not restarted.
    Either you use less aggressive settings or you have to live with the fact that your settings make things unreliable.
    Btw, it is better to have less free ram in android. A lot of free ram on a android device indicates that it is inefficiently working.
    Just wonderign, is there going to be support for normal notifcations, like third party apps etc

No, if you are wondering about the reason, then you might want to understand the functional principle of bln by looking at the following "art":

|android application| --> |notification service| --> |bln liblights| --> |bln driver| --> |touchkey leds|

legend:
    --> : x calls y (unidirectional)
    android application: any android application
    notification service: public api, part of the Android SDK
    liblights: conjunction between the android OS and the Linux kernel
    bln driver: provides interface to control the touchkey led hardware
    touchkey leds: light emitting diodes behind the touchkeys...

The bln mod (blue parts) just adds the (modified) liblights and the bln driver in that chain, these components are missing in the original stock ROM from Samsung.
    Any android application that should trigger the leds just have to implement the call (the red arrow) of the functions of the notification service .

And the gentle reader may now notice that the control app is missing in that flowchart. Well, the control app consists of 2 parts, one part actually accesses the bln driver to adjust some settings. The second part detects missed calls and acts like any other android application to issue a (hidden) notification with the led flag.

PS: The flowchart includes only the necessary components and conjunctions between the application and the leds. There are a few more components involved, but you don't need to know them all.
    On the AT&T GS2, I am getting constant wakelocks for wlProximityEvents, and I do not even have the new Proximity feature enabled.

I just unplugged the charger 5 minutes ago, I have no notifications, and it's been in constant wakelock since then. (See the screen shot).

Since the last update, my battery life has been very bad and deep sleep has gone down significantly.

UPDATE: Attached is my wakelocks.txt file.

Thank you for the informations about the wakelock, these infos helped me to resolve the problem.
    An update is now available at the market. I want to apologize to those who may have had problems because of this issue.