How to root my Skyrocket 2.3.6 version

Search This thread

nizmoz

Jun 18, 2010
So I can use Titanium backup to freeze things to make the battery last longer? I am about to go back to a iphone if I can't get this battery life situation resolved.

nap286

Nov 28, 2009
Where else can i dl the super one click the link isn't working

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA App

shaggyskunk

Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2011
IDK
Noob clarification re "internal sd" from Melvins Root guide

When he says " your internal SD",that means NOT the SD card?.. right? Sorry for the request for clarification!

shaggyskunk

Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2011
IDK
There is an internal 16gb sd card that is not removeable. There is also and external sd slot that is r emoveable

Thanks Silver, perhaps I was not being complete in my question? I know that there are both, but my question was specifically related to rooting. In his post " *Put the Superuser .zip file on your internal SD" from these instructions" http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1311194".
I think it means that you put the. Zip file on the phones internal memory & NOT the removable SD card?

shaggyskunk

Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2011
IDK
Thanks SILVER.... it just seemed a little ambiguous, and for a noob, that could be dangerous. :) ...you were "thanked" .

shaggyskunk

Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2011
IDK
Uhm, on Melvin's post of Oct 19th...he says to put the Superuser zip on the INTERNAL SD....BUT on Copperhed's post of Nov 10th....he says to put the Superuser file on the EXTERNAL SD? I would imagine that there is something important about where it is located on the phone?

I was pretty sure that I was not losing my mind, I just had to find where I saw the discrepancy

Last edited:

jshamlet

Aug 25, 2014
I just want to root and leave everything stock. I don't feel like dealing with all that custom stuff. Is there a way to just flash a rooted stock rom with odin and be done with it. I'm on 2.3.6 btw

The GS2 doesn't support booting recoveries via fastboot, so the only way to root (short of using a rooting tool) is to install a custom recovery like TWRP or CWM via Odin, and then root the system from within the recovery. You can restore the stock recovery if you want, but I don't know of any other clean methods to root.

Also, you are aware that there is an official (Samsung provided) Jelly Bean ROM for the GS2, right? While that doesn't get you "up to date", it at least gets you on a 4.x stream, which will dramatically improve app support on the Play Store.

cbs1507

Sep 13, 2013
The GS2 doesn't support booting recoveries via fastboot, so the only way to root (short of using a rooting tool) is to install a custom recovery like TWRP or CWM via Odin, and then root the system from within the recovery. You can restore the stock recovery if you want, but I don't know of any other clean methods to root.

Also, you are aware that there is an official (Samsung provided) Jelly Bean ROM for the GS2, right? While that doesn't get you "up to date", it at least gets you on a 4.x stream, which will dramatically improve app support on the Play Store.

I can't just flash a rooted stock file with odin? I don't understand all that other stuff you're saying/

jshamlet

Aug 25, 2014
I can't just flash a rooted stock file with odin? I don't understand all that other stuff you're saying/

There may be a way to install a pre-rooted image from Odin, but most folks do it from a recovery. Fortunately, if you can figure out how to just install the recovery, it will be able to root whatever you have installed, and is a heck of a lot safer than messing with the OS image. Unfortunately, how that happens depends on the recovery, but in most cases it will over you the option to fix the su binary when you reboot.

I won't repeat the steps here, as there are several guides for installing recoveries via ODIN. I will point you to the TWRP repository, however -> https://dl.twrp.me/skyrocket/

cbs1507

Sep 13, 2013
So let me get this straight, if I flash a normal stock Rom from a recovery it will automatically root it? What is a recovery? Is that the same thing as download mode? I'll try to find a thread, but of course if u could post a the ad link I would appreciate it.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts