Guide for Raring & GNOME-CORE using [Win32/64][Dual Boot] Tubuntu for x3Maniac Thread

Search This thread

TomTcom

Mar 27, 2011
Is there a way for me to check that the internet is working? I think it should be working because I can see the mac address on my router's connected list.

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

This happens to me too when i run ipconfig and then i exit out with CTRL-C. Is this supposed to happen?

If you can do an apt-get update then your internet is working as it needs to be.

I will tell you both that I had issues with the supplicant I copied from Android and ended up going to Google and making my own. It wasn't really anything different and it worked though so you might want to try that as well.

That shouldn't happen, you are probably partially working but not authenticated appropriately to your network. You may have to edit/play around with your supplicant file. If you are able to get that far it just may be a tweak or two.

As I said before, X3's original instructions didn't work quite right for me and I made my own guide so it's possible for whatever reason I don't know that you might need to do the same. Research, tweak, test. It gets kind of annoying but you'll learn a lot and be able to do it better and quicker next time.

Reactions: Treizy and jlrodz87

Treizy

Mar 31, 2011
If you can do an apt-get update then your internet is working as it needs to be.

I will tell you both that I had issues with the supplicant I copied from Android and ended up going to Google and making my own. It wasn't really anything different and it worked though so you might want to try that as well.

That shouldn't happen, you are probably partially working but not authenticated appropriately to your network. You may have to edit/play around with your supplicant file. If you are able to get that far it just may be a tweak or two.

As I said before, X3's original instructions didn't work quite right for me and I made my own guide so it's possible for whatever reason I don't know that you might need to do the same. Research, tweak, test. It gets kind of annoying but you'll learn a lot and be able to do it better and quicker next time.

You're right. I removed the -B so that it's not running in the background anymore and it keeps getting disconnected. I'll try playing around with my supplicant file.

Thanks!

jlrodz87

Oct 8, 2008
Manhattan, NY
Is there a way for me to check that the internet is working? I think it should be working because I can see the mac address on my router's connected list.

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

This happens to me too when i run ipconfig and then i exit out with CTRL-C. Is this supposed to happen?

this is what i did

i login to root and typed this

mount /dev/mmcblk0p7 /tmp
cd /tmp/misc/wifi
cp wpa_supplicant.conf /etc
wpa_supplicant -B -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -iwlan0
/usr/lib/klibc/bin/ipconfig wlan0

got the ip addresses then follow steps from 11 to 16 from OP go back to step 10b then back to step 17

now is downloading but im not doing gnome-core im doing lubuntu-desktop

Last edited:

TomTcom

Mar 27, 2011
this is what i did

i login to root and typed this

mount /dev/mmcblk0p7 /tmp
cd /tmp/misc/wifi
cp wpa_supplicant.conf /etc
wpa_supplicant -B -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -iwlan0
/usr/lib/klibc/bin/ipconfig wlan0

got the ip addresses then follow steps from 11 to 16 from OP go back to step 10b then back to step 17

now is downloading but im not doing gnome-core im doing lubuntu-desktop

Lol, my guide is only based on gnome-core install. So as long as you get everything before the steps to install gnome-core you should be fine. However, you may be on your own at this point since the thread and guide is only my experience installing gnome-core.

Reactions: jlrodz87

jlrodz87

Oct 8, 2008
Manhattan, NY
Lol, my guide is only based on gnome-core install. So as long as you get everything before the steps to install gnome-core you should be fine. However, you may be on your own at this point since the thread and guide is only my experience installing gnome-core.

oh lord lol

do u know where i can find a guide for lubuntu ? I kind of like lubuntu more than gnome

now im screw lmao

TomTcom

Mar 27, 2011
oh lord lol

do u know where i can find a guide for lubuntu ? I kind of like lubuntu more than gnome

now im screw lmao

If you want Lubuntu you should go back to the OP:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1995157

You should reformat using the Tubuntu application and use the image below. Check the OP, that appears to be more of what you want.

Ubuntu(ubuntu.img)
Lubuntu v1.2 (12.10) - http://goo.im/devs/x3maniac 496.01 MB
only added support for 2.6.36 kernel.(if you want to use newer kernels must installed kernel and supplements)

jlrodz87

Oct 8, 2008
Manhattan, NY
If you want Lubuntu you should go back to the OP:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1995157

You should reformat using the Tubuntu application and use the image below. Check the OP, that appears to be more of what you want.

Ubuntu(ubuntu.img)
Lubuntu v1.2 (12.10) - http://goo.im/devs/x3maniac 496.01 MB
only added support for 2.6.36 kernel.(if you want to use newer kernels must installed kernel and supplements)

i guess i try and play around with it ... i dont have a windows computer at the moment to use tubuntu and the OP is too confusing is not a guide like urs with all the steps on how to get the desktop environment and i google and google and cant find anything..

one last question it finish downloading lubuntu and now is unpacking a lot of files... after that can i just reboot and it will boot up to lubuntu and it will come up with that terminal again?

Im new with this code things i used to have Ubuntu in my laptop but u dont have to do all this stuff to get it working thats why im so confuse

TomTcom

Mar 27, 2011
i guess i try and play around with it ... i dont have a windows computer at the moment to use tubuntu and the OP is too confusing is not a guide like urs with all the steps on how to get the desktop environment and i google and google and cant find anything..

one last question it finish downloading lubuntu and now is unpacking a lot of files... after that can i just reboot and it will boot up to lubuntu and it will come up with that terminal again?

Im new with this code things i used to have Ubuntu in my laptop but u dont have to do all this stuff to get it working thats why im so confuse

Well in theory it should.

I know when Gnome-core is finished and you reboot it automatically runs the gui. If your's does not you might need to invoke it from the command line....maybe "start lightdm" or startx or something like that. I did not install it this way so it makes it difficult to give a good answer.

Maybe go back to the OP and try using KingZak's guide.

**FOR SBK2 devices**

FOLLOW THIS UPDATED GUIDE [GUIDE][Win32/64][Dual Boot] For SBK2 Install of TFUbuntu for x3Maniac Thread by Kingzak34 & don't forget to thank him!!

jlrodz87

Oct 8, 2008
Manhattan, NY
Well in theory it should.

I know when Gnome-core is finished and you reboot it automatically runs the gui. If your's does not you might need to invoke it from the command line....maybe "start lightdm" or startx or something like that. I did not install it this way so it makes it difficult to give a good answer.

Maybe go back to the OP and try using KingZak's guide.

**FOR SBK2 devices**

FOLLOW THIS UPDATED GUIDE [GUIDE][Win32/64][Dual Boot] For SBK2 Install of TFUbuntu for x3Maniac Thread by Kingzak34 & don't forget to thank him!!

Man dont worry u have helped a lot u are awesome... i will just try to reboot after is done and see what happens if it goes back to that terminal thing i will just go with gnome-core i guess

last question i promised lol if it boots to the terminal and lubuntu gui doesnt come up can i just do your guide all over with gnome core and it will delete lubuntu files or will i have to reflash ... sorry again

Reactions: TomTcom

TomTcom

Mar 27, 2011
Man dont worry u have helped a lot u are awesome... i will just try to reboot after is done and see what happens if it goes back to that terminal thing i will just go with gnome-core i guess

last question i promised lol if it boots to the terminal and lubuntu gui doesnt come up can i just do your guide all over with gnome core and it will delete lubuntu files or will i have to reflash ... sorry again

You're welcome.

I don't believe Lubuntu would be deleted. You would have to do "sudo apt-get purge lubuntu-desktop" without the quotes. I believe that is the correct command to execute to essentially uninstall it.

Treizy

Mar 31, 2011
Tried playing around with the wpa_supplicant file for a while with no luck. I even removed the security on my network (previously I had WPA2) and it says that it's connected but when I execute "/usr/lib/klibc/bin/ipconfig wlan0" it hangs just like before :(

Do you mind sharing your file? I've googled and tried various tags with no luck so far.

TomTcom

Mar 27, 2011
Tried playing around with the wpa_supplicant file for a while with no luck. I even removed the security on my network (previously I had WPA2) and it says that it's connected but when I execute "/usr/lib/klibc/bin/ipconfig wlan0" it hangs just like before :(

Do you mind sharing your file? I've googled and tried various tags with no luck so far.

/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

Mine looks like this:

ctrl_interface=wlan0
network={
ssid="putSSIDhereINquotes"​
scan_ssid=1​
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK​
psk="passwordINquotes"​
}

That's it..

Reactions: Treizy and jlrodz87

jlrodz87

Oct 8, 2008
Manhattan, NY
Glad to help, you're welcome ;)

Hey Kingzak34 sorry to bother u i have lubuntu install but for some reason once i login the status bar or should i call it menu bar just blink and i cant open anything.. now i am trying to get into terminal but from boot like when u get it without the GUI because i want to purge lubuntu and just go with gnome .... how can i boot into terminal instead of lubuntu gui

---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 PM ----------

Hey TomcTom will u lead me in the right direction to do this..

i have lubuntu install but for some reason once i login the status bar or should i call it menu bar just blink and i cant open anything.. now i am trying to get into terminal but from boot like when u get it without the GUI because i want to purge lubuntu and just go with gnome .... how can i boot into terminal instead of lubuntu gui

Sent from my LG-LS970 using xda premium

TomTcom

Mar 27, 2011
Re: Guide for Raring & GNOME-CORE using [Win32/64][Dual Boot] Tubuntu for x3Maniac Th

Hey Kingzak34 sorry to bother u i have lubuntu install but for some reason once i login the status bar or should i call it menu bar just blink and i cant open anything.. now i am trying to get into terminal but from boot like when u get it without the GUI because i want to purge lubuntu and just go with gnome .... how can i boot into terminal instead of lubuntu gui

---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 PM ----------

Hey TomcTom will u lead me in the right direction to do this..

i have lubuntu install but for some reason once i login the status bar or should i call it menu bar just blink and i cant open anything.. now i am trying to get into terminal but from boot like when u get it without the GUI because i want to purge lubuntu and just go with gnome .... how can i boot into terminal instead of lubuntu gui

Sent from my LG-LS970 using xda premium

Try pressing ctrl alt and t to bring up terminal.

Then try sudo service lightdm stop. I don't know if it's lightdm though.

If it exits the GUI you can do the purge.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guide for Raring & GNOME-CORE using [Win32/64][Dual Boot] Tubuntu for x3Maniac Thread

This guide assumes you are familiar with using the Tubuntu application by x3Maniac. If you are not, please read the OP by x3maniac to familiarize yourself with the application before going further. Also, I'm giving instructions based on the standard dual boot configuration.

OP for Tubutnu by x3maniac

This install takes about 2 hours or more because of installing GNOME-CORE.

Please note that this version is very new. There are a few bugs like any OS and some random issues I have encountered. x3maniac is also working on a newer initramfs and kernel. This will be released in due time. Continue to check the OP for updates.

One more note, there is no GUI. We are going to install gnome-core as the GUI. You can install any desktop you want but this guide is only for GNOME-CORE.

1. After sucessful bual boot you should be in Prime (Android). Please set up your internet connection so you have a valid wpa_supplicant to copy. Reboot to recovery or power down, vol down + power and vol up to enter recovery to boot Ubuntu.

2. Login with root and family as the password. (you are at a text based login)

3. Execute this command: resize2fs /dev/mmcblk0p8 (ensures your partition is fully using the 6GB available)

4. We now need to set up an internet connection. Execute this command: mount -o rw /dev/mmcblk0p7 /tmp

5. cd /tmp then cd /misc/wifi

6. Execute this command: cp wpa_supplicant.conf /etc

7. Execute this command: wpa_supplicant -B -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -iwlan0

8. Execute this command: /usr/lib/klibc/bin/ipconfig wlan0 (type out everything as you see it)

9. nano /etc/resolv.conf add nameserver 8.8.8.8 to this file. ctrl + o and ctrl + x to save and exit.

10 nano /etc/apt/sources.list find entries that are commented out with the"#" sign for "universe" and remove the pound sign. Save and exit.

10. Execute this command: apt-get update

11. Execute this command: apt-get install sudo -y

12. nano /etc/sudoers add this line username ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL ) (substitute the username you made) (you are copying the same line that has root but with your new username)

13. Execute this command: apt-get install bash-completion (optional but recommended)

14. Execute this command: nano /etc/hosts add 127.0.0.1 tf101.raring to this file. Save and exit.

15. Execute this command: apt-get install apt-utils (optional but recommended)

16. Execute this command: adduser username (substitute username for whatever username you would like). Enter a password as well.

17.Execute this command: exit we are exiting so we can login with the new user and install the gnome-core.

18. Login with your new username and password

19. Execute this command: sudo apt-get install gnome-core (may take about 2 hours or so to install) DO NOT REBOOT AFTER THIS FINISHES

20. You may encounter questions such as encoding and character set. I chose UTF-8 for "Encoding to use on the console" and Latin1 and Latin5 for character set. NOTE: I'm not sure if the second one is correct.

21. Execute this command: sudo apt-get purge pulseaudio (once this is done you may reboot and should be presented with the GUI)

22. Login to the GUI with your username and open terminal.

23. Execute this command: sudo apt-get install software-center (this is Ubuntu software center)

24. Execute this command: sudo apt-get install cpufrequtils (this is the governor for the CPU's)

25. Execute this command: sudo nano /etc/rc.local

26. Add the following 2 lines into this file and save and close:
    26b. cpufreq-set --cpu 0 -d 812000 -u 1400000 -g ondemand
    26c. cpufreq-set --cpu 1 -d 812000 -u 1400000 -g ondemand

27. If you have problems booting back into Android, open terminal and Execute this command: sudo echo boot | dd of=/dev/mmcblk0p3 bs=1 seek=0
    Re: Guide for Raring & GNOME-CORE using [Win32/64][Dual Boot] Tubuntu for x3Maniac Th

lol done

one more thing lmao

why the sound is so low i cant find the volume options

In terminal open alsamixer and increase the volume there.

im happy it booted up to lubuntu now i guess i play around to get other stuff on it u r awesome man

You're welcome. Hit a couple thanks and we'll be even..lol!

/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

Mine looks like this:

ctrl_interface=wlan0
    network={
    ssid="putSSIDhereINquotes"​
    scan_ssid=1​
    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK​
    psk="passwordINquotes"​
    }

That's it..