[APP][ROOT][15 Apr]SwapGen v1.2 - Speed up your android!

Search This thread

hisname

Jul 9, 2012
Singapore
Good question!
I think for this a bootloader needs to be changed (eg the eng 2.0 bl). If im correct the partition table is declared in that. You should be able to modify the values.
Though i wouldn't recommend doing this, since its very risky (if you fail your ds may be bricked) and you might have issues running certain roms

I could add an option to add swap to data too, much safer ;) what do you think about that?

Sounds cool, but I don't know what's the difference, but who care:p. Do I need to mess around with Hboot partition to size the /system and /cache partition?

Sent from my supercharged :tank:

D

Deleted member 4123551

Sounds cool, but I don't know what's the difference, but who care:p. Do I need to mess around with Hboot partition to size the /system and /cache partition?

X) understood you wrong. I thought you wanted to expand the size of the swap partition.

Anyways, im not that sleepy anymore so ill think about a way how to do the UI then. Any suggestions?

Sent from my LT30p using xda app-developers app

kalvin807

Dec 30, 2011
After update SwapGen to 1.2 and i have serious issue now.I removed old swap and add a bigger recommended size of swap.Then the phone freeze and i waited it for 10 mins. After that I pulled battery and my phone wont boot anymore...:crying:
Every time i try to boot up my phone ,it vibrate 7 time and nothing more.I cannot access to fastboot,too .I think my phone is bricked now . Any Help Please???

hisname

Jul 9, 2012
Singapore
X) understood you wrong. I thought you wanted to expand the size of the swap partition.

Anyways, im not that sleepy anymore so ill think about a way how to do the UI then. Any suggestions?

Obviously holo UI! maybe with tabbed interface?

D

Deleted member 4123551

After update SwapGen to 1.2 and i have serious issue now.I removed old swap and add a bigger recommended size of swap.Then the phone freeze and i waited it for 10 mins. After that I pulled battery and my phone wont boot anymore...:crying:
Every time i try to boot up my phone ,it vibrate 7 time and nothing more.I cannot access to fastboot,too .I think my phone is bricked now . Any Help Please???

have you even tried to search an answer?
Can you get tot the bootloader?
You know how tot use adb?
Have you tried an ruu?

This normally shouldnt be thanks to swap, oh well... I shouldve known that there are people who dont have enough to recommended...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

kalvin807

Dec 30, 2011
have you even tried to search an answer?
Can you get tot the bootloader?
You know how tot use adb?
Have you tried an ruu?

This normally shouldnt be thanks to swap, oh well... I shouldve known that there are people who dont have enough to recommended...

Googled and most post said it is due to overheat.Tried their fixing methods ,but they are not working on me.
I tried to use adb but failed to find the devices , seems that after the 7 vibration the phone will power off.Therefore, ruu is not possible too ... :crying:

hisname

Jul 9, 2012
Singapore
What about a holo interface with the menu like the facebook / spotify app?

Facebook interface? Eww, I have stopped using that app long ago. Not sure how it looks like now. I have been using unofficial Facebook apps. I like official twitter app interface. Easily switch between feeds and profile and some other stuff easily. I have never used Spotify before. It's not available here yet(coming soon), so can't really give comments about it.

D

Deleted member 4123551

Facebook interface? Eww, I have stopped using that app long ago. Not sure how it looks like now. I have been using unofficial Facebook apps. I like official twitter app interface. Easily switch between feeds and profile and some other stuff easily. I have never used Spotify before. It's not available here yet(coming soon), so can't really give comments about it.

nusjgqC_qblCUSe8Npoqaxp9Bogxx97jm0GfAWlmu1h-4lG9Oh1hkp6LhQqB-IzaGQ
25RgNCmwmnXD2SXFDDTmAJ-hd0vEXnzTn1JKcFLGGxK5jRv0F6zMilcDHymt1WBqYxe6

this is what it looks like :), at least the menu is what id like to implement then

hisname

Jul 9, 2012
Singapore
I am wondering if the amount of swap is proportionate to the life of our mmc chip? More swap means lesser life? Is this true?

trancefusion

Aug 4, 2009
Hi all,

I installed the latest version (1.2) of SwapGen and enabled the swapfile.

But it is still telling me that the current swap file is not working.

Am I missing something?

D

Deleted member 4123551

Hi all,

I installed the latest version (1.2) of SwapGen and enabled the swapfile.

But it is still telling me that the current swap file is not working.

Am I missing something?

No thats just the indicator ;) your swap file works fine just the detection which is separate doesnt.

hisname

Jul 9, 2012
Singapore
Reactions: NVardan and Giaki

madji

Aug 17, 2012
Tell swap really works or is it a placebo ?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    D
    Deleted member 4123551
    Hey there fellow xda-ers, I designed this small app which enables Swap on your phone.

What, how?!
    Since Ice Cream Sandwich, the /cache partition of your device is barely used. when i first checked mine (with the command df /cache), only 34 MB of the 142MB was used! This can be used way more efficiently. Swap is the answer.

Swap is basically an extension of your RAM, more information here. The end result is a faster phone, without taking big security risks.

The swap area will be installed at /cache/djpbxSwap/swap.img

The app lets you set a value between 1 and 120 MB of swap, so that's plenty for our device. - Now it automatically lets you set a maximum value that is available :)
    The app isnt finished yet, so we might see some nice features coming through. It can also contain bugs :p

Screenshot
    scrn%281%29.png

Download
    INSTALL AND USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
    Version 1: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=22901594685178459
    Version 1.1: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=22901594685178555
    Version 1.2: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=22909751817929658

How-To!
    Read this prior to installing!
    1. Make sure to have root and busybox installed.
    2. Download SwapGen
    3. Install SwapGen
    4. Enter a responsible amount of MB's :)
    5. Enable your swap!

Changelog
    Code:
    [I]TODO[/I]
    - detect existing swap size, let recommended value be unattended. (by + existing swap)

[I]V1.2[/I]
    - Declared superuser permission in manifest
    - Made sure if you click on about you wont get the what is swap website
    - Added donation button
    - Added some spam to let you donate me
    - Brand new icon
    - Now the available space is the value max to enter, with recommended value as hint

[I]V1.1[/I]
    - Fixed removing of swap
    - Added values about recommended value etc
    - Cleaned UI a bit
    - menu with about and what is swap.

[I]V1[/I]
    - Initial release

FAQ
    Q: Doesn't this hurt my eMMC?
    A: On a short time, no. On a long time, yes. You will have more reads/writes to your flash memory. You'll probably never notice this though (unless you plan to use this device another five years as primary device)

Q: Can i use this with other Swap methods like delta-roh's?
    A: Yes, you can, but preferably not. If you do, always check your remaining /cache space.

For more Questions and Answers i'm in the Desire S help thread. (there's a link in my sig.)

Cheers! :cool:
    D
    Deleted member 4123551
    Update :D

v1.2:
    - Declared superuser permission in manifest
    - Made sure if you click on about you wont get the what is swap website
    - Added donation button
    - Added some spam to let you donate me
    - Brand new icon
    - Now the available space is the value max to enter, with recommended value as hint
    Is it something like Turbo boost mod? http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2145133

In which way are different?
    Thank you

turbo boost allows you to flash the swap.img in recovery. turbo boost also allows you to install swap.img in /system, /data, /cache . turbo boost also adds some init.d scripts. whereas this app installs swap.img in /cache only.

D
    Deleted member 4123551
    I am curious, what if after 5 years of using this mod, what will happen to our beloved DS? will it stop booting up one day?

Nah, that not. It arent thát much more reads and writes.
    I think on the really long term (5 > years intensive use) the performance will just get worse and worse.
    But even without this mod your device has had hellofalot r/w's. Its not really something to worry about if you just use a smartphone for its expected life duration (which is probably less than 5 years). But of course this is subjective.

That's exactly what i was thinking:thumbup: that will reduce the number of "what's a safe............." Q.

Sent from my Desire S using xda premium