SGS2 Canadian Thread (Bell/Virgin/Sasktel/Rogers) Root/Unlock/Firmware/Modems/Mods

Search This thread

KayvinM

Feb 20, 2011
Button Combos:
Download Mode: Volume Down+Home+Power
Recovery Mode: Volume Up+Home+Power
Once in recovery use volume keys to navigate, home button to select and power button to go back

Official Firmware Version
PDA: I9100MUGKG2
Phone: I9100MUGKG2
CSC: I9100MBMCKG2
Product Code: GT-I9100LKMBMC

Unlock

Galaxy_S Unlock App by Helroz found here https://market.android.com/details?id=com.helroz.galaxysunlock&feature=search_result.

Rooting

CF-Root Thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1103399
We do not have a CF-Root version of our kernel so just flash any kernel using the instructions provided in the link and flash the stock kernel back (found below). Root will remain as well as the CWM app but you will loose clockwork mod recovery.
Alternative method:
Zergrush exploit: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=803682&highlight=zegrush

Yellow Triangle Removal

Tutorial can be found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1193091
Alternatively you can use a Jig as it also resets the custom Rom counter

I9100 Secret Codes

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1193285

All links below are for Gingerbread 2.3.3 MUGK2

Stock Bell/Virgin Modem

Directions: Use Odin and place .tar file in "phone" section
Download
Mirror: Download

Stock Firmware

Download

Stock Kernel

Directions: Place .tar file in PDA section using ODIN
Download

Bell CSC

Directions: Flash with Odin in CSC section
Download

Additional Modems:
Some users are experiencing better Gps/Reception with the KH3/KI3 modem
Directions: Unzip file and flash modem.bin with Odin under "phone" section

I9100XXKH3-Download
I9100XXKG6-Download
I9100XXKI1-Download
I9100XXKI3-Download
I9100XXKI4-Download

*CWM Compatible Modems can be found here

Flashing Instructions

How to install the latest firmware on your phone. This will also get rid of Bell's bloatware:

1) Make sure you have working drivers installed on your computer. If you do not, the easiest way is to download Kies and it will install it for you.

2) Install Odin 1.85 on your computer (attached at the bottom of this post)

3) Pick any firmware version you would like to flash from Intratech's thread linked here. The firmware is arranged from oldest to newest so the last ones are obviously going to be the newest.

4) Start Odin in "administrator" mode and make sure Kies is not running in the background. Use task manager to check

5) Place your downloaded firmware .tar or .md5 file into the PDA section in Odin. Make sure re-partition is not selected. Auto reboot and reset time should be selected by default.

6) Remove any external sd cards and the sim card from your phone (precaution) then reboot into download or hold volume down + home + power key. If a warning pops up press the volume up key to continue.

7) Connect your phone to the computer with the USB cable. You should see the I.D:Com port turn yellow.

8) Once you are certain everything is where it should be, select START. Once the process has completed your phone will re-boot. Exit out of Odin. That's it!

Optional (Rooting)

9) If you wish to root your will need to download a cf-root kernel that matches the firmware you just flashed from here. For example if you flashed XXKI4 then you will need to download the cf-root kernel that ends with XXKI4

10) Restart Odin and place the kernel .tar file in the PDA section, connect your phone and press START.

Alternative TWlaunchers

Since upgrading to 2.3.4/2.3.5 firmwares, some (including myself) have noticed some lag/stuttering when flipping through homescreens. I find that this gets worse when using the program monitor widget. I put together some alternatives that I pulled from the US variants of the Galaxy S2.
I have tested them and they have pretty much eliminated the issue. I personally find them much smoother. These are stock Twlaunchers with no mods. The files can be found at the bottom of this post. Requires Root.

Directions: These files a deodexed but will work with Odexed Firmwares (I tested on 2.3.5) Make sure to download another launcher and use it as your primary. While using an alternative launcher, back up the twlauncher.apk and .odex files under system app then the libglcanvas.so under system/lib. Then delete twlauncher.odex. Boot into CWM recovery and flash the new twlauncher. If you do not have CWM recovery you can also unzip the file and drop the .apk into system/app and the .so into system/lib.

AT&T
App version: 2.3.4
Features: Long press on menu button brings up search. Endless scrolling through home screens. Option to set app drawer alphabetically.

Epic 4G Touch (Sprint)
Features: Option to set app drawer alphabetically.

T-Mobile Galaxy S2 (Hercules)
App version: 2.3.5
Features: Long press on menu button brings up search. Endless scrolling through homescreens and widget selection screen. Option to set app drawer alphabetically.

credits: Intratech, x-cimo

Attachments

• Odin3-v1.85.zip
    199.1 KB · Views: 2,568
  • Epic4G_TW4.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 182
  • TmobileTW4.zip
    966.4 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:

cue_32

Jun 11, 2010
How to root sgs2 from BELL (GT-9100M)?

details steps plz for a beginner

-Download and install ODIN on your PC.
-From XDA, download the kernel CF-Root-SGS2_ZS_OZS_KG2-v4.1-CWM4.zip(ZIP.File)
-unzip the above file and it will unzip itself to CF-Root-SGS2_ZS_OZS_KG2-v4.1-CWM4.tar (TAR File)
-Fire up ODIN and under 'PDA' browse to the above mentioned .tar file.
-Place your phone on download mode (either USB jig, or boot it up while holding vol down+home+power)
-once in download mode, plug in to the computer.
-everything should be default settings in ODIN,butmake sure repartition and flashlock IS NOT ticked.
-click start
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1075278
DONE

Last edited:

cue_32

Jun 11, 2010
BTW, Im not sure if this is just for Rogers users but I tried disabling 'fast dormancy' and it actually slowed down my upload link connection. Not sure about Telus, or Bell users but it would be worth a shot to test as it helps drastically with battery life.

KayvinM

Feb 20, 2011

Electroz

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 7, 2008
St. John's
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1103399
Currently the best 3 choices that is closest to our firmware version are:
CF-Root-SGS2_ZS_OZS_KG2-v4.1-CWM4.zip
CF-Root-SGS2_JP_XSG_KG2-v4.1-CWM4.zip
CF-Root-SGS2_XX_OXA_KG2-v4.1-CWM4.zip
Note: You will not be able to revert back to the stock kernel until Samsung releases our Firmware

CF-Root-SGS2_XX_OXA_KG2-v4.1-CWM4.zip is not even close to our version of android. It is a 2.3.4 kernel. Just because it says KG2, doesn't mean it's the same. That only refers to a single geographical area's release for a month. I'll explain:

The rom letter versions are actually based upon 5 letters, not 3. There are several variants of KG2. Basically, the Samsung naming convention is as follows:
Model name: I9100M
Provider/Area: UG (Bell/Virgin/Sasktel)
Rom Version: KG2

Now, the rom version can get broken down into each letter as well...
K = 2011
G = July
2 = 2nd version that month.

All area's roms are developed completely separate from each other...

Ours is UGKG2. Which is unavailable for download from the Samsung servers, so we're not able to actually get back to stock, or make any kind of custom firmwares/kernels based upon it.

All the other ones, including ZS, JP, and XX are completely different roms and kernels than what we have on our Bell phones.

The KG2 that either of those 3 kernels are based on are either 2.3.4 roms or different 2.3.3 roms. So, matching that is no different than installing a KG1 or KG3 or any KF* CF-Root kernels. ChainFire has not made a CF-Root based upon UGKG2 yet, so no matter what one you install, it's not based upon our rom, meaning you can basically install ANY CF-Root Kernel and as long as your phone still works with it, it doesn't matter. All the roms are completely different and the naming convention has nothing to do with each other unless all 5 letters/numbers match up.

Lesson of the night???? Just because a pile of uninformed people on a forum agree about something, it doesn't make it correct...

Last edited:

rickytenzer

Sep 10, 2009
I'm sure most already knows this but just I just wanted to post this here.
For anyone on the Rogers network (or any network that is affected) that is experiencing their text messages coming in 4 hours behind, download this free app in the market called time stamp fix and set the offset hours to 4. Link: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mattprecious.smsfix&feature=search_result
I have also found that upgrading KG3+ will solve the issue.

KayvinM

Feb 20, 2011
CF-Root-SGS2_XX_OXA_KG2-v4.1-CWM4.zip is not even close to our version of android. It is a 2.3.4 kernel. Just because it says KG2, doesn't mean it's the same. That only refers to a single geographical area's release for a month. I'll explain:

The rom letter versions are actually based upon 5 letters, not 3. There are several variants of KG2. Basically, the Samsung naming convention is as follows:

K = 2011
G = July

Ours is UGKG2. Which is unavailable for download from the Samsung servers, so we're not able to actually get back to stock, or make any kind of custom firmwares/kernels based upon it.

All the other ones, including ZS, JP, and XX are completely different roms and kernels than what we have on our Bell phones.

The KG2 that either of those 3 kernels are based on are either 2.3.4 roms or different 2.3.3 roms. So, matching that is no different than installing a KG1 or KG3 or any KF* CF-Root kernels. ChainFire has not made a CF-Root based upon UGKG2 yet, so no matter what one you install, it's not based upon our rom, meaning you can basically install ANY CF-Root Kernel and as long as your phone still works with it, it doesn't matter. All the roms are completely different and the naming convention has nothing to do with each other unless all 5 letters/numbers match up.

Lesson of the night???? Just because a pile of uninformed people on a forum agree about something, it doesn't make it correct...

Lesson learned and post edited. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Reactions: kilometers4

kcaz

Oct 3, 2010
I have a friend with a Bell branded GS2 which he unlocked by buying a code to use on the Telus network. He wants me to upgrade it to 2.3.4 for him this weekend, but doesn't want it rooted.

I have an international unbranded GS2 and have flashed numerous firmwares. I have kept mine unrooted and have only flashed official leaked firmware via Odin (no custom ROM's). Can I update his the same way without rooting? I realize his model number will change (GT-I9100m to GT-I9100) and that he won't be able to go back until the Bell ROM is posted. I'm just not sure if there is any difference because his phone is branded and mine isn't.

Sobai

Sep 3, 2009
Kelowna
I am a TELUS customer with a Bell SGS2, and everyone I call or who calls me experiences an echo on their end. I did some research and found that it was actually my phone that was the problem. People said they were able to rectify the problem by disabling "Noise Cancellation", however, the only way I've been able to find to disable it is within the call itself, which means I have to disable it in every call.

Does anyone know how to disable Noise Cancellation permanently? Thank you!

id_mew

Aug 1, 2011
Hi KayvinM and Electroz, I'm from Canada and I ordered my S2 from Newegg.ca, so my phone came factory unlocked and right now I'm running it on the Telus Network.
My phone is running on the UK firmware but I would like to use a North American firmware.
My questions is that would I be able to run any firmware from any region I want without damaging my phone?
And witch firmware is the latest one for the Canadian region?
Here's the details for my SCS2:

PDA: I9100XWKF3
Phone: I9100XXKE7
CSC: I9100XEUKD1

I posted a thread about this yesterday but I didn't get much help, so I really appreciated if you guys can help me.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

KayvinM

Feb 20, 2011
I am a TELUS customer with a Bell SGS2, and everyone I call or who calls me experiences an echo on their end. I did some research and found that it was actually my phone that was the problem. People said they were able to rectify the problem by disabling "Noise Cancellation", however, the only way I've been able to find to disable it is within the call itself, which means I have to disable it in every call.

Does anyone know how to disable Noise Cancellation permanently? Thank you!

Weird thing is I had this exact issue a couple of days ago. What kernel do you have installed at the moment?

KayvinM

Feb 20, 2011
Hi KayvinM and Electroz, I'm from Canada and I ordered my S2 from Newegg.ca, so my phone came factory unlocked and right now I'm running it on the Telus Network.
My phone is running on the UK firmware but I would like to use a North American firmware.
My questions is that would I be able to run any firmware from any region I want without damaging my phone?
And witch firmware is the latest one for the Canadian region?
Here's the details for my SCS2:

PDA: I9100XWKF3
Phone: I9100XXKE7
CSC: I9100XEUKD1

I posted a thread about this yesterday but I didn't get much help, so I really appreciated if you guys can help me.
Thanks in advance.

Hey id_mew, you can run any firmware you would like without damaging your phone. Just make sure you read up lots and you are comfortable with the process and using Odin. Also avoid using any .pit files when flashing unless it's called for. All the firmwares can be found in this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1075278 As off right now the latest canadian firmware is bell's/virgin UGK2 which is 2.3.3 based. Problem is if you are not currently on this firmware, you wont be able to flash it because it hasn't been released yet. As to my knowledge the latest official firmware is XXKG5 (poland based) and KG7 (Brazil) which was released earlier this month. Here is one the threads I found regarding ithttp://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1200044 As far as I understand there is no difference between the European and the Canadian version of the sgs2. Both phones make use of the same cell tower frequencies, meaning you should have no issues running a european based firmware here in canada. It just comes down to personal preference. Hope I was able to help :)

Last edited:

Sobai

Sep 3, 2009
Kelowna
Weird thing is I had this exact issue a couple of days ago. What kernel do you have installed at the moment?

PDA: I9100XXKG5
PHONE: I9100XXKG5
CSC: I9100OXAKG5
Kernel: 2.6.35.11-ninphetamine-2.0.5+ninpo@titan #20

I only flashed the kernel yesterday which made my battery life so much better (20 hours of use with data/wifi/gps turned off most of the time) but still had echo problems before flashing the Kernel. I know its the noice reduction feature because when I disable the feature the person I'm speaking to no longer hears the echo. I just wish I knew how to disable it for good, rather than every time I answer a call.

shuweee

Aug 15, 2007
As many of us is waiting for UGKG2 the stock bell rom, will it be available eventually? Quite a few people I know need that rom to revert so the phone can be send back for repair if need be.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using XDA Premium App

Sobai

Sep 3, 2009
Kelowna
As many of us is waiting for UGKG2 the stock bell rom, will it be available eventually? Quite a few people I know need that rom to revert so the phone can be send back for repair if need be.

It's whenever Samsung plans to make it available. They might someday, or they may never. Other cellular firmwares are readily available, so I don't see why the Bell firmware won't. My guess is that the firmware will probably be released when Bell releases a new firmware with 2.3.4.

shuweee

Aug 15, 2007
So where is this site or server that I can go check for firmwares

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Button Combos:
    Download Mode: Volume Down+Home+Power
    Recovery Mode: Volume Up+Home+Power
    Once in recovery use volume keys to navigate, home button to select and power button to go back

Official Firmware Version
    PDA: I9100MUGKG2
    Phone: I9100MUGKG2
    CSC: I9100MBMCKG2
    Product Code: GT-I9100LKMBMC

Unlock

Galaxy_S Unlock App by Helroz found here https://market.android.com/details?id=com.helroz.galaxysunlock&feature=search_result.

Rooting

CF-Root Thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1103399
    We do not have a CF-Root version of our kernel so just flash any kernel using the instructions provided in the link and flash the stock kernel back (found below). Root will remain as well as the CWM app but you will loose clockwork mod recovery.
    Alternative method:
    Zergrush exploit: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=803682&highlight=zegrush

Yellow Triangle Removal

Tutorial can be found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1193091
    Alternatively you can use a Jig as it also resets the custom Rom counter

I9100 Secret Codes

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1193285

All links below are for Gingerbread 2.3.3 MUGK2

Stock Bell/Virgin Modem

Directions: Use Odin and place .tar file in "phone" section
    Download

Stock Firmware

Download

Stock Kernel

Directions: Place .tar file in PDA section using ODIN
    Download

Bell CSC

Directions: Flash with Odin in CSC section
    Download

Additional Modems:
    Some users are experiencing better Gps/Reception with the KH3/KI3 modem
    Directions: Unzip file and flash modem.bin with Odin under "phone" section

I9100XXKH3-Download
    I9100XXKG6-Download
    I9100XXKI1-Download
    I9100XXKI3-Download
    I9100XXKI4-Download

*CWM Compatible Modems can be found here

Flashing Instructions

How to install the latest firmware on your phone. This will also get rid of Bell's bloatware:

1) Make sure you have working drivers installed on your computer. If you do not, the easiest way is to download Kies and it will install it for you.

2) Install Odin 1.85 on your computer (attached at the bottom of this post)

3) Pick any firmware version you would like to flash from Intratech's thread linked here. The firmware is arranged from oldest to newest so the last ones are obviously going to be the newest.

4) Start Odin in "administrator" mode and make sure Kies is not running in the background. Use task manager to check

5) Place your downloaded firmware .tar or .md5 file into the PDA section in Odin. Make sure re-partition is not selected. Auto reboot and reset time should be selected by default.

6) Remove any external sd cards and the sim card from your phone (precaution) then reboot into download or hold volume down + home + power key. If a warning pops up press the volume up key to continue.

7) Connect your phone to the computer with the USB cable. You should see the I.D:Com port turn yellow.

8) Once you are certain everything is where it should be, select START. Once the process has completed your phone will re-boot. Exit out of Odin. That's it!

Optional (Rooting)

9) If you wish to root your will need to download a cf-root kernel that matches the firmware you just flashed from here. For example if you flashed XXKI4 then you will need to download the cf-root kernel that ends with XXKI4

10) Restart Odin and place the kernel .tar file in the PDA section, connect your phone and press START.

Alternative TWlaunchers

Since upgrading to 2.3.4/2.3.5 firmwares, some (including myself) have noticed some lag/stuttering when flipping through homescreens. I find that this gets worse when using the program monitor widget. I put together some alternatives that I pulled from the US variants of the Galaxy S2.
    I have tested them and they have pretty much eliminated the issue. I personally find them much smoother. These are stock Twlaunchers with no mods. The files can be found at the bottom of this post. Requires Root.

Directions: These files a deodexed but will work with Odexed Firmwares (I tested on 2.3.5) Make sure to download another launcher and use it as your primary. While using an alternative launcher, back up the twlauncher.apk and .odex files under system app then the libglcanvas.so under system/lib. Then delete twlauncher.odex. Boot into CWM recovery and flash the new twlauncher. If you do not have CWM recovery you can also unzip the file and drop the .apk into system/app and the .so into system/lib.

AT&T
    Features: Long press on menu button brings up search. Endless scrolling through home screens. Option to set app drawer alphabetically.

Epic 4G Touch (Sprint)
    Features: Option to set app drawer alphabetically.

T-Mobile Galaxy S2 (Hercules)
    App version: 2.3.5
    Features: Long press on menu button brings up search. Endless scrolling through homescreens and widget selection screen. Option to set app drawer alphabetically.

credits: Intratech, x-cimo
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1103399
    Currently the best 3 choices that is closest to our firmware version are:
    CF-Root-SGS2_ZS_OZS_KG2-v4.1-CWM4.zip
    CF-Root-SGS2_JP_XSG_KG2-v4.1-CWM4.zip
    CF-Root-SGS2_XX_OXA_KG2-v4.1-CWM4.zip
    Note: You will not be able to revert back to the stock kernel until Samsung releases our Firmware

K = 2011
    G = July

UGKG2 firmware and kernel now available in the carrier firmware thread.
    How to root sgs2 from BELL (GT-9100M)?

details steps plz for a beginner

-Download and install ODIN on your PC.
    -From XDA, download the kernel CF-Root-SGS2_ZS_OZS_KG2-v4.1-CWM4.zip(ZIP.File)
    -unzip the above file and it will unzip itself to CF-Root-SGS2_ZS_OZS_KG2-v4.1-CWM4.tar (TAR File)
    -Fire up ODIN and under 'PDA' browse to the above mentioned .tar file.
    -Place your phone on download mode (either USB jig, or boot it up while holding vol down+home+power)
    -once in download mode, plug in to the computer.
    -everything should be default settings in ODIN,butmake sure repartition and flashlock IS NOT ticked.
    -click start
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1075278
    DONE
    Yea, see the problem with custom roms is that often....no, ALWAYS I have to load the stock Bell modem, because on any other modem I roam all the time and my wireless hotspot does not seem to work. If I could extract this modem from the newly released bell ics then I would give it a try.

Also, last custom rom I tried was Litening but the email on it did not work properly and kept freezing. Also I would miss the samsung SocialHub. I like how it consolidates all my messages and email.

Here ya go friend (CWM LD3 Modem just for you): http://www.2shared.com/file/XXCsXgiS/LKABMC_MODEM_XXLD3.html

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

Anyone have the ld3 modem..
    I am using d4 from with lps modem..would really like to see if there is a big difference with ld3 modem on signal quality..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

Installed it this afternoon, signal has been locked on full bars ever since. Did not try gps and things like that though.

http://www.2shared.com/file/XXCsXgiS/LKABMC_MODEM_XXLD3.html

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------