FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Is there a difference between 'download' & 'recovery' mode?

452 posts
Thanks Meter: 15

By bird333, Senior Member on 24th August 2010, 04:04 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
When I hold both the volume buttons and press the power button, I am calling that 'recovery' mode. Is 'download' mode something different? If so, how do I get into download mode?

24th August 2010, 06:20 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 159

More
Yes, download mode will display a big yellow triangle with the android robot in the middle.

In download mode you can't do anything. Odin3 send files to the phone and all other commands.

I'm not sure if once in "download mode" you can boot back without flashing your phone...
25th August 2010, 05:54 AM |#3  
Flag Tooele, UT
Thanks Meter: 313

More
To get into download mode you power off the phone (You can remove the battery to be sure) then plug the phone into USB. Let the battery screen show up, then do your key press (Volume up + Volume down + Power) hold all three until the third black screen (immediately black, battery, black, battery, black) then let go of power. That should give you the big yellow Android shovelling the crap.

Sent from my Samsung Captivate via XDA app
26th August 2010, 06:54 AM |#4  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 2,484

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGSilva

I'm not sure if once in "download mode" you can boot back without flashing your phone...

Just yank the battery out. As long as nothings flashing onto the phone or anything (the blue progress bar isn't showing) then you should be fine. At least in my experience.
26th August 2010, 08:38 AM |#5  
Flag Hillsboro, OR
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Yes there is.

Recovery Mode is where you would load an update.zip file. Two ways to access: 1. from adb type: adb reboot recovery 2. Power and both volume button method.

Download Mode is where you would load roms and kernels with Odin. Multiple ways to access, two easiest IMO: 1. if adb is available type: adb reboot download 2. Pull battery and usb, Install battery, hold down both volume buttons, keep buttons held and plug in usb cable. Dont touch the power button.

That is correct, if you havent flashed anything just battery pull and reboot to get out of download mode. Also if you botch a flash and your phone is frozen, when you reset the phone will go into a bricked mode that will show a phone, warning sign and computer. If your phone does this you'll need to do a battery pull and manually enter download mode reflash.
30th August 2017, 11:25 AM |#6  
Flag Lahore
Thanks Meter: 1

More
diff btw download and recovery mode
Quote:
Originally Posted by bird333

When I hold both the volume buttons and press the power button, I am calling that 'recovery' mode. Is 'download' mode something different? If so, how do I get into download mode?

yes there is a difference between download and recovery mode
"download mode"
is that where you can able to install custom or stock roms or you can flash your android in this mode
but in
"recovery mode"
you have some commands given by phone you can use these command for reboot your android or reset to factory and other commands
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)