XDA Forum login issues.

Search This thread

jaykresge

Nov 8, 2010
EDIT: Not an advertising issue, as pointed out throughout this thread. Potential solution (works for me) is to change the forum theme. Go to the lower left of the forums and use the drop-down box. Change to the last option XDA 2013 beta 1024. This has fixed the issue for me, as well as for Formicae (post #4) who reported this fix.

Yesterday I started having issues with the website. Whenever I'd visit, I'd have to log back in. However, navigating to a subforum would automatically log me in. I initially assumed that it had to do with me getting Chrome 23 last night. However, then I noticed it happening on my phone's browser (Stock touchwiz browser). I didn't just have two systems go loopy at the same time.

I'm one of those oddballs that uses an adblocker but whitelists domains that I trust. I want you guys to get advertising revenue from me because I support the website. But, I noticed the problem resolved on my phone whenever I got around the popup ad. So, I re-enabled ad-blocking on this domain. Guess what? Problem solved. No more login issues.

Might want to look at your advertisements and see what's preventing users from remaining logged in. I could login and navigate to the subforums, but then if I clicked the forum button at the top, I'd be logged out again until I navigated elsewhere. There's an advertisement doing this.

Last edited:

formicae

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
I'm not sure it's ads. It happens to me whether I block them or not. But SOMEthing is making me log back in or, as you say, just go to a subforum.

formicae

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
I switched to the XDA 2013 Beta theme (bottom left of browser window, drop menu) and haven't had to log in again despite a couple of browser restarts and a computer restart. Might be nothing, but worth a shot?

the_scotsman

Assistant Forum Admin
Staff member
it's nothing to do with ads.

Are you all saying the login issue is caused by popover ads not allowing you to see the login box? Or something else?

Nope, he's having the same problem I posted in your thread earlier. hasn't happened to me again since then though.

Reactions: tallyforeman

bitpushr

Retired XDA:Administrator
I just pushed a new fix which I believe will correct this. To take effect you might need to wipe your browser cache/cookies.

If anyone is still having problems logging in, or staying logged in, please clear your cache and cookies and re-login (check "Remember me") and then if it happens again, let me know what page you clicked on that logged you out (for example - showthread.php or forumdisplay.php).

Reactions: drkalo

jaykresge

Nov 8, 2010
Updated first post again to clarify.

EDIT: Thanks for the fix. I'll give it a try on multiple devices and report back.

jaykresge

Nov 8, 2010
Even though we're all certain that advertisements weren't causing the issue, I just wanted to add further confirmation. I started whitelisting XDA on my adblocker again yesterday and have no login issues.

EDIT: Not an advertising issue, as pointed out throughout this thread. Potential solution (works for me) is to change the forum theme. Go to the lower left of the forums and use the drop-down box. Change to the last option XDA 2013 beta 1024. This has fixed the issue for me, as well as for Formicae (post #4) who reported this fix.

Yep, that worked, thx!

iBotPeaches

Recognized Developer
Apr 8, 2011
Tampa
connortumbleson.com
Switching to 1024 theme also worked for me.

I would literally get logged out for switching tabs and coming back to XDA. Really put a damper on releasing my ROMs this week because every-time I would edit the post and submit, it would say please log back in.

EDIT: Wiping caches seem to work too. Back on normal theme.

theslam08

EDIT: Not an advertising issue, as pointed out throughout this thread. Potential solution (works for me) is to change the forum theme. Go to the lower left of the forums and use the drop-down box. Change to the last option XDA 2013 beta 1024. This has fixed the issue for me, as well as for Formicae (post #4) who reported this fix. [/strike]

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks for making this thread. I too thought it was just the update to chrome or something (on dev builds - so who knows when something doesnt work what the real problem is) - but that it was not the site. But seeing others having this problem is a relief because now I dont have to re-login every time now as that fix fixed it for me (choosing the 1024 theme, they must have changed something so thanks admins!).

jaykresge

Nov 8, 2010
It's doing it again today. I'm going to clear my internet cache/history/cookies everything and see if that fixes it. If not, I'll go back to the 1024 theme.

jacklebott

Oct 22, 2010
Land of the Idiots
No matter what I do, the 2010 theme doesn't keep me logged in :/
Guess I'll try to get used to the 2013 theme... (that extra space on the right of the browser annoys the heck out of me though)
EDIT: It's "forumdisplay.php" that seems to think I'm logged out, until I either refresh the page or open another link ("showthread.php" doesn't do it to me)
EDIT2: The 2013 theme doesn't work any better, it still thinks I'm logged out after 15 minutes of inactivity, then logs me back in after refreshing

Last edited:

jaykresge

Nov 8, 2010
Going back to the 1024 template fixed it for me. When I thought things had been fixed, I was still on the 1024 template. Switching back to the forum default is what messed me up again.

So, the forum default XDA 2013 beta has login issues. The 1024 version does not.

jacklebott

Oct 22, 2010
Land of the Idiots
Going back to the 1024 template fixed it for me. When I thought things had been fixed, I was still on the 1024 template. Switching back to the forum default is what messed me up again.

So, the forum default XDA 2013 beta has login issues. The 1024 version does not.

Oh, I was only trying the beta one. I'll try the 1024 version and check back soon

EDIT: Neither 2013 versions work, I'll try wiping cookies and cache again

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yesterday I started having issues with the website. Whenever I'd visit, I'd have to log back in. However, navigating to a subforum would automatically log me in. I initially assumed that it had to do with me getting Chrome 23 last night. However, then I noticed it happening on my phone's browser (Stock touchwiz browser). I didn't just have two systems go loopy at the same time.

I'm one of those oddballs that uses an adblocker but whitelists domains that I trust. I want you guys to get advertising revenue from me because I support the website. But, I noticed the problem resolved on my phone whenever I got around the popup ad. So, I re-enabled ad-blocking on this domain. Guess what? Problem solved. No more login issues.

Might want to look at your advertisements and see what's preventing users from remaining logged in. I could login and navigate to the subforums, but then if I clicked the forum button at the top, I'd be logged out again until I navigated elsewhere. There's an advertisement doing this.
    This should fix the problem for anyone that was being driven mad by this when using Chrome.

Edit your XDA bookmark and add this at the end /login.php?do=login

For example, I bookmark the Galaxy s2 forum like this - http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1055/login.php?do=login and now I can log in every time without it keep forgetting my username and password all the time.
    I switched to the XDA 2013 Beta theme (bottom left of browser window, drop menu) and haven't had to log in again despite a couple of browser restarts and a computer restart. Might be nothing, but worth a shot?
    Some new changes may be causing this - these are being investigated.
    Somehow it seems fixed since about 15:00 UTC. I still have to log in again, but now it's more in 2 hour intervals.

That is great, I did tweak a setting, maybe that did the trick. Let me know how it goes.