FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Mod Windows RT to enable Remote Desktop

75 posts
Thanks Meter: 14

By sionicion, Member on 11th January 2013, 07:02 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
In the past, Windows has had editions for consumers that did not include Remote Desktop enabled. Usually there was a patch to enable it. Recently it has been proved how there is almost no difference between Windows 8 and Windows RT and that RT is just a port of Windows 8. So what about all the system files? They can be changed just like x86 Windows. So what about enabling Remote Desktop, so we don't need a ARM remote app that we need to unlock Windows for, and we can use what comes with Windows. In the past we modified the termsrv.dll file and changed some registry settings. I've included the Windows 8 and the Windows RT versions of termsrv.dll so that maybe some clever ones might try and crack a solution to enabling it on Windows RT.
Attached Files
File Type: zip termsrv.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.19 MB, 726 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sionicion For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sionicion Ad-Free

11th January 2013, 07:11 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sionicion

In the past, Windows has had editions for consumers that did not include Remote Desktop enabled. Usually there was a patch to enable it. Recently it has been proved how there is almost no difference between Windows 8 and Windows RT and that RT is just a port of Windows 8. So what about all the system files? They can be changed just like x86 Windows. So what about enabling Remote Desktop, so we don't need a ARM remote app that we need to unlock Windows for, and we can use what comes with Windows. In the past we modified the termsrv.dll file and changed some registry settings. I've included the Windows 8 and the Windows RT versions of termsrv.dll so that maybe some clever ones might try and crack a solution to enabling it on Windows RT.

termsrv is a system service and how can we use a modified termsrv.dll before we use the Jailbreak tool?maybe we can edit termsrv.dll in the memory.
11th January 2013, 07:15 AM |#3  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,947

More
We can't, I suspect. Even after jailbreaking, the lack of a signature on a system file may be a problem. It's worth a shot, though.
11th January 2013, 07:35 AM |#4  
Flag Denver
Thanks Meter: 565

Donate to Me
More
termsrv.dll -should- be a usermode library that would be editable after the jailbreak.
11th January 2013, 08:18 AM |#5  
OP Member

More
I am able to take ownership of the file and replace it. But it won't use the termsrv.dll from my windows 8… I'm almost positive it is because the dll is different depending on architecture. But it should be as easily replaceable as any system file on windows 8, am I right? I don't see why it wouldn't but I could be wrong.
11th January 2013, 08:31 AM |#6  
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,947

More
Yeah, pretty much. You definitely won't be able to use the Win8 version (x86 machine code, ARM processor, not gonna fly...) but a modified version of the Windows RT version might work. Bear in mind that since modifying the DLL will invalidate the signature, this won't work if the signature validation is enforced (i.e. you'll have to jailbreak).
11th January 2013, 11:39 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 54

More
Should be possible using the Remote Debugging Tools or, even better, cdb. Put it in a .cmd file in autorun and voila
The Following User Says Thank You to clrokr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift clrokr Ad-Free
11th January 2013, 11:44 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Prompt
Quote:
Originally Posted by clrokr

Should be possible using the Remote Debugging Tools or, even better, cdb. Put it in a .cmd file in autorun and voila

Please!! Remote desktop would be awesome enabled on the Surface RT, if someone could work on it I know a lot of people would be very grateful!
11th January 2013, 02:50 PM |#9  
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 225

Donate to Me
More
I've already posted a method that should enable RDP here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=211 - no need to patch DLL, and would work on an a locked device. But you'll have to manually edit binary registry value, instead of using a provided tool.
I have not tested RDP, but after using this method I was able to recover an option of joining device to Active Directory domain (it was blocked by the similar policies).
11th January 2013, 03:53 PM |#10  
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaich

I've already posted a method that should enable RDP here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=211 - no need to patch DLL, and would work on an a locked device. But you'll have to manually edit binary registry value, instead of using a provided tool.
I have not tested RDP, but after using this method I was able to recover an option of joining device to Active Directory domain (it was blocked by the similar policies).

Can you share how you managed to get the rt joined to a domain?
11th January 2013, 06:04 PM |#11  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaich

Wouldn't both methods work though? Your method works by enabling features from other editions by telling Windows that's what edition it is running. It disables it when the Software Protection service restores it to the original template according to the edition. By patching the DLL file, you could trigger Remote Desktop to work without it needing to check in with the kernel policies.

I mean unless you have a way to modify these policies without all the extra occuring, it would work. But Bitlocker and the Software Protection service getting involved...it just sounds like a lot of extra work for something much bigger in the end, and I know there must be an easier way to force Remote Desktop to work without listening to these policies because it has been done in the past.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)