joehlmann

Apr 16, 2012
Had been searching on & off over 2 months & finally found the sol

This now lets you use the KFU util and others to root & install new OS etc

You need to have installed ANDROID SDK and extras-usb & JAVA se

1)

you will need to modify the following two files:

a. adb_usb.ini – You can find it under your Users\YourUsername\.android folder

In a typical Windows 7 installation, adb_usb.ini will be located under C:\Users\YourUserNameHere\.android

Open the adb_usb.ini file with a text editor (Notepad is just fine) and add the following line at the end (on a new line). Save and exit.

0×1949

2)
android_winusb.inf – You can find it under the folder you installed the Android SDK, in my case C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver

Open the file with a text editor (notepad is again good enough), locate [Google.NTx86] section and also the [Google.NTamd64] section and add the following lines to each section, like in the screenshot.

;Kindle Fire
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_1949&PID_0006
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_1949&PID_0006&MI_01

3)
Note: If your device list is empty, maybe you plugged-in Kindle Fire before you installed Android SDK and Android USB Drivers. In this case you’ll need to force load the Android USB driver. Right click on My Computer and select Properties then navigate to Device Manager. Under Other Devices you should see Kindle with a yellow icon containing an exclamation point.

Right Click on Kindle name and select Update Driver Software. A Dialog will pop-up asking how do you want to search for driver software. Select Browse and point toward the folder containing Google USB Driver (in my case C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver). Select Next and proceed with the installation, choose Install this driver anyway when prompted.

Ok now you can

cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools

d. type adb kill-server followed by enter

e. type adb devices. If everything is fine, you should see a connected device (your Kindle Fire)

0000666665555 device

You are good to go :p

Cheers to dudes @ "reviewhorizon.com/2011/11/how-to-root-jailbreak-kindle-fire-using-one-click-solution-superoneclick-also-enable-sideloading-apps/"

Reactions: Corduroysack

kinfauns

Retired Senior Moderator and Retired DC Lead
Jan 5, 2012
Congrats... glad to hear you got things working. It's nice to see a user's first post be a success story rather than a cry for help. I'm guessing KFU's driver installer didn't work for you for some reason and you had to do it this way.

This is going to be a day late and a dollar short in your case, but you might try it this way if there's a next time around...

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23747671&postcount=2

You don't really have to install the SDK to get these drivers installed. You can get everything you need in the KFU distribution with the .inf and .ini files already edited for you. Good luck.

careen

Apr 17, 2012
Device Not Found in ADB

Another way to fix the driver issue.

1. Uninstall driver from device manger. Select delete driver if the option is available.
  2. Copy the driver file somewhere else on your computer
  3. Delete the driver from the old location.
  4. Attach the Kindle and manually install the driver from the new location.

I'm not sure why this worked for me, but after half a day of trying this worked.

Reactions: wildguess

threed42

Sep 16, 2012

1)

In a typical Windows 7 installation, adb_usb.ini will be located under C:\Users\YourUserNameHere\.android

Open the adb_usb.ini file with a text editor (Notepad is just fine) and add the following line at the end (on a new line). Save and exit.

0×1949

2)
android_winusb.inf – You can find it under the folder you installed the Android SDK, in my case C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver

Open the file with a text editor (notepad is again good enough), locate [Google.NTx86] section and also the [Google.NTamd64] section and add the following lines to each section, like in the screenshot.

;Kindle Fire

3)
Note: If your device list is empty, maybe you plugged-in Kindle Fire before you installed Android SDK and Android USB Drivers. In this case you’ll need to force load the Android USB driver. Right click on My Computer and select Properties then navigate to Device Manager. Under Other Devices you should see Kindle with a yellow icon containing an exclamation point.

Right Click on Kindle name and select Update Driver Software. A Dialog will pop-up asking how do you want to search for driver software. Select Browse and point toward the folder containing Google USB Driver (in my case C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver). Select Next and proceed with the installation, choose Install this driver anyway when prompted.

Ok now you can

e. type adb devices. If everything is fine, you should see a connected device (your Kindle Fire)

0000666665555 device

Cheers to dudes @ "reviewhorizon.com/2011/11/how-to-root-jailbreak-kindle-fire-using-one-click-solution-superoneclick-also-enable-sideloading-apps/"

Mine just says Android ADB Interface

@johnsin

Aug 28, 2011
San Francisco
Combo of a problem

Mine just says Android ADB Interface

I found that this started to happen to me after some ROMs I was flashing ended up getting stuck on the bootscreen. I am not sure what I did in the process, but I messed up my USB drivers. Now no matter how I configure them. I can't seem to get the device to recognize. Even though both windows devices registers the Kindle, it still won't allow me file system access. No matter which rom I try flashing.. I find that nothing seems to work.

I am trying to now restore individual segments to see if I can atleast get a boot up.. otherwise I am dead in the water.

Any help?

Oh yeah, Fastboot.. works fine.. isn't there a stock image I can just fastboot Upgrade?

John

KF_Mike_KF

Dec 24, 2012
KF not recognized in PC. Shows up as GT-P1000 instead and sdcard access.

Noob to XDA so forgive if this post is in the wrong area. I am at my wits end.

ADB: KF to PC connectivity lost after ROM install
The Good News, Bad News and Solution Attempts…

The Good News.
I installed the GedeROM CM9 ICS 4 (GedeROM ICS v4.04 CM9 Kernel v3.0.21) to my 1st generation Kindle Fire and it runs great. It is much smoother at running Air for Android with an App that I have been developing. The USB Host works great with my Logitech Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Combo with the OTG USB Dongle and Logitech nano receiver. I want to keep using this ROM as it is very functional for my needs.

The Bad News.
Now, let’s get to the frustrating part. No more drag and drop. After the install, my PC no longer recognizes the it as a Kindle Fire as a drive or sdcard. It recognizes it as a GT-P1000 (Galaxy Tab P1000). Because of this mis-reporting to the PC device manager the KF and sdcard are no longer visible as a drive on the PC for me to browse, drag and drop items.
The Device Manager sees the
---Android Phone > Android ADB Interface
or depending on the driver
---Android Phone > Android Composite ADB Interface
and no where in the Device Manager does it show the Kindle Fire any longer.

The only place the device is listed is in
---Control Panel > Hardware and Printers > GT-P1000(!). (Unknown Device)

Attempted Solutions.
1. Driver Reinsall(s) with and without SDK.
I tried reinstalling the drivers for the KF and this changed it from Android Composite ABD Interface to Android ADB Interface. (no change) I reinstalled the Composite interface and still no KF. I also tried a few different versions of drivers up and down the spectrum trying to get this installed. Including trying to install a GT-P1000 driver from Samsung. Still no luck.

2. Android Debugging
I tried to turn on and off and on etc the Android debugging in Settings > Developer Options > Android Debugging. No Luck.

3. Turn on USB Mass Storage
Unable to do this as the options are simply just not there.

4. Reboots
Countless reboots (PC and KF) and cache wipes with and without the KF attached.

5. Different ROM
I tried a different ROM for Jelly Bean 4.2 and it was successful and recognized as a KF and I could browse to the folders on the sdcard. However this ROM was so striped down that it was not really functional for me as there was no file explorer, market app, or any way to browse to the sdcard to install any app that I could drag and drop into the sdcard in the hopes of installing a file explorer and market app. The issue seems to be with the GedeROM CM9 that I am using.

Am I going to have to try multiple ROMS until something works?

Specs:
Kindle Fire (1st Gen, spring of 2012, original one purchased in December 2011, but suffered screen smash)
GedeROM ICS v4.04 CM9 Kernel v3.0.21
The PC I am using is running Windows 7 Professsional.

Congrats... glad to hear you got things working. It's nice to see a user's first post be a success story rather than a cry for help. I'm guessing KFU's driver installer didn't work for you for some reason and you had to do it this way.

This is going to be a day late and a dollar short in your case, but you might try it this way if there's a next time around...

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23747671&postcount=2

You don't really have to install the SDK to get these drivers installed. You can get everything you need in the KFU distribution with the .inf and .ini files already edited for you. Good luck.

KF_Mike_KF

Dec 24, 2012
Work Around Found... Sort of.

Noob to XDA so forgive if this post is in the wrong area. I am at my wits end.

ADB: KF to PC connectivity lost after ROM install
The Good News, Bad News and Solution Attempts…

The Good News.
I installed the GedeROM CM9 ICS 4 (GedeROM ICS v4.04 CM9 Kernel v3.0.21) to my 1st generation Kindle Fire and it runs great. It is much smoother at running Air for Android with an App that I have been developing. The USB Host works great with my Logitech Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Combo with the OTG USB Dongle and Logitech nano receiver. I want to keep using this ROM as it is very functional for my needs.

The Bad News.
Now, let’s get to the frustrating part. No more drag and drop. After the install, my PC no longer recognizes the it as a Kindle Fire as a drive or sdcard. It recognizes it as a GT-P1000 (Galaxy Tab P1000). Because of this mis-reporting to the PC device manager the KF and sdcard are no longer visible as a drive on the PC for me to browse, drag and drop items.
The Device Manager sees the
---Android Phone > Android ADB Interface
or depending on the driver
---Android Phone > Android Composite ADB Interface
and no where in the Device Manager does it show the Kindle Fire any longer.

The only place the device is listed is in
---Control Panel > Hardware and Printers > GT-P1000(!). (Unknown Device)

Attempted Solutions.
1. Driver Reinsall(s) with and without SDK.
I tried reinstalling the drivers for the KF and this changed it from Android Composite ABD Interface to Android ADB Interface. (no change) I reinstalled the Composite interface and still no KF. I also tried a few different versions of drivers up and down the spectrum trying to get this installed. Including trying to install a GT-P1000 driver from Samsung. Still no luck.

2. Android Debugging
I tried to turn on and off and on etc the Android debugging in Settings > Developer Options > Android Debugging. No Luck.

3. Turn on USB Mass Storage
Unable to do this as the options are simply just not there.

4. Reboots
Countless reboots (PC and KF) and cache wipes with and without the KF attached.

5. Different ROM
I tried a different ROM for Jelly Bean 4.2 and it was successful and recognized as a KF and I could browse to the folders on the sdcard. However this ROM was so striped down that it was not really functional for me as there was no file explorer, market app, or any way to browse to the sdcard to install any app that I could drag and drop into the sdcard in the hopes of installing a file explorer and market app. The issue seems to be with the GedeROM CM9 that I am using.

Am I going to have to try multiple ROMS until something works?

Specs:
Kindle Fire (1st Gen, spring of 2012, original one purchased in December 2011, but suffered screen smash)
GedeROM ICS v4.04 CM9 Kernel v3.0.21
The PC I am using is running Windows 7 Professsional.

I have tried several different ROMS today.

I have found that they just dont have the stability and functionality that I like with the version that I am running. SO.... that being said, I found a work around. I can keep the existing ROM in place and if I need to copy something to the SD Card, I can just boot into TWRP and mount the USB drive, make the file copies and then reboot. It's a little annoying, but none so much as not being able to do it at all.

Thanks for the input.

DSH

Jul 25, 2007
3)

Ok now you can /"

step 3 does not work! :( windows was unable to install your amazon kindle fire hd!
what shall i do?

Mrnicee

Mar 13, 2014
This didnt work for me

I dont know why but whenever I try to manually install the driver it pops up with an error saying something on the lines of 'The Folder does not contain a suitable software for your operating system' basically saying there is not software compatible with 32bit. I have been trying to root my kindle fire for 2 days now. I have tried to use SDK and KFU none of them worked. I will attach the errors Im getting!

Someone Help Pleasee:confused:

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 95
  • df.jpg
    df.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 100

lovejoy777

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 30, 2011
Nottingham
if all eles fails and all you want to do is copy files over try "wifi file explorer" on the playstore. very handy app to have installed just in case:)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1)

0×1949

2)

;Kindle Fire

3)

Ok now you can

0000666665555 device

Device Not Found in ADB

Another way to fix the driver issue.

1. Uninstall driver from device manger. Select delete driver if the option is available.
    2. Copy the driver file somewhere else on your computer
    3. Delete the driver from the old location.
    4. Attach the Kindle and manually install the driver from the new location.

I'm not sure why this worked for me, but after half a day of trying this worked.