[How to] get full ubuntu and your favorite desktop in webtop

Search This thread

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
Ok, Today I will show how to fully unlock the webtop feature in the Atrix 2, so that you can use your favorite Linux apps and desktop, to be more productive while using webtop.

This will be in several posts to make this easier to read and understand.

There are several requirements I will list here, first:

1) A way to use webtop - The HD, or lapdock, or have completed the webtop mod for the HDMI connection Here
2) This is most important, and if you completed 1, then you most likely have done it, root your Atrix 2
3) A USB SDcard reader. I have the Sandisk imagemagick, but any one you like will do
4) Be able to ADB from your computer to your phone
5) Not afraid of a little command line work :)

Partition Instructions:
Depending upon your operating system, free software is available so that you can partition and format your device without losing all the data on it.

You will need to get one of the apps / iso images below, I recommend the live iso with gparted on it, just because I am a UNIX/ Linux guy by trade and choice, and this is what I use.

Linux gparted live iso image:
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

Windows MiniTool Partition Wizard:
http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

You must create a parition on your SDcard for webtop, as this is is a full Operating System and takes a good bit of space. I made mine around 8GB on my 32GB card, and for the purpose of showing you here, I created a 4GB partition on a spare 16GB card I have. 1GB is the minimum, because that is what is already being used on the Atrix2 and I think it is about 80% full or so.

The partition you create MUST be a primary partition and formated to ext3.

For Windows here are some screen shots from another board that may help, with instructions:

This is what the MiniTool Partition Wizard screen looks like when I have an 8 GB SD card inserted. As you can see, there's currently one single FAT32 partition present.
http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=651143&d=1310342755

When you right click on the partition, you'll see a Move/Resize option. That's the one you want to select for non-destructive partitioning.
http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=651144&d=1310342755

At that point, you can select how large you want your partition to be. You want to make sure that the "Unallocated Space Before" stays at 0.00 MB, so that the new partition will be the second one. In my case, I've opted to create a 4 GB partition as the second partition.
http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=651145&d=1310342755

Once that has been set up, right click on the Unallocated space, then select Create.
http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=651146&d=1310342766

We're not worried about the warning that Windows throws up, particularly since we know we'll be creating a partition that Windows can't read anyways. So just hit Yes.
http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=651147&d=1310342766

Create the second partition at the maximum size with the following settings:

Create As: Primary
File System: Ext3
http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=651148&d=1310342766

After that's done, click on the Apply Changes button.
http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=651149&d=1310342766

And now you're done! Put the card back into your Atrix2

Now for gparted:

If you are familiar with Linux and know how to use gparted, just resize your FAT32 partition to whatever size you want, then create a partition at least 1GB in size (I recommend 4GB), and make it an EXT3.

Now for the rest that are using the iso here is some info and screen prints:

Launch gparted:
Here is a screen print of my desktop with gparted running:
picture.php

Now in the upper right corner there is a little drop down that has something like /dev/sda in it, change this to your SDcard, mine was /dev/sdc.

Next right click on the partition in the middle of the screen, it should be surrounded in green, then click Resize/Move:
picture.php

Then when the next screen comes up, drag the arrow from the left to the middle of the screen to resize the partition, to the size you want, this is in MegaBytes:
picture.php

Now will have one partition that is ready to resize, and it should look like this, you will click on the "Apply all Operations button":
picture.php

Then a little window with the percentage will show up and tell you when it is complete, just click the close button when it finishes.

Next you will right click on the unallocated part of the SDcard and click new:
picture.php

Then you will tell it how big in new size box, I let it do the whole thing at 4GB, then select ext3 in the File system drop down menu:
picture.php

Then after you click add in the last screen, you will click the "Apply all Operations button" Again:
picture.php

Now it will show the percentage window again, and when it is complete, click the close button.

Done! Now it should look like this:
picture.php

Put your SDcard back into your phone now.

Next will be how to copy over some patches and a script that will do a lot more, and a manual way for the brave.

Last edited:

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
Ok, so now that we are partitioned we can do some real fun stuff, and by fun stuff I mean command line. :)

I would make sure you are plugged into a power source when you are doing this part, becuase the script will run for a very long time, it is copying 1GB of data to your SDcard, and installing a patch that includes another 100 or so MB of needed programs.

Go get this tarball

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU COPY THIS INTO /data/local ON YOUR PHONE

Copy this to your system with:

adb push webtop_unlock.tar /data/local

Now connect to your phone with ADB

adb shell
su
cd /data/local
tar -xvf webtop_unlock.tar
chmod 755 setup_webtop.sh
sh ./setup_webtop.sh

This will do a whole lot of things, like copy the webtop install to your SDcard, then patch it, so that you can run synaptic and a termial and disable the FACLs and MACLs that Motorola has implemented, so that it is not locked down anymore.

***Note: I only had a chance to run and test this script once, so if it is an issue please let me know nicely in a post here, or PM me, but please copy any errors or get a screen print if you can, so that I know what to fix. Please don't post a reply with it did not work, give me as much info as you can.

After your phone reboots ADB into it again, and do this:
su
mount -o remount, rw /

**take note that you must run the "mount -o remount, rw /" command anytime you reboot your phone because any programs you get thru apt-get or synaptic will error out during installation

Last edited:

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
Now that you have most of what you need Do this:

Connect to webtop with whatever method you like, HD dock, or lapdock, or TV (you most likely have to have a bluetooth keyboard mouse to use your TV).

Then when the webtop session starts:
Ctrl+Alt+T

picture.php

When the Terminal launches type this at the command line and hit return
sudo apt-get update

From here, you can run "gksu synaptic" and use the password "test" to start installing various different programs and packages that are normally available on Ubuntu.

picture.php

Dependencies
Take caution when modding Webtop because there are some dependencies that will break Webtop if they are upgraded such as anything ending in a .mot or anything resembling that.

Credits
Please thank [mbm] for fixing what Motorola took out, without him, none of this would be possible without his patch.

Sogarth for being the pioneer of Webtop hacking.

Last edited:

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
Now that you can get into synaptic, go find a desktop you like and install it.

I use gnome and I like it, but here is a list of KNOWN working apps, I am sure there are many more, just know some will not work at all.

Working Programs:
OpenOffice
XFCE4
Xchat
LxTerminal
Transmission
lxpanel
rdesktop
VLC Player (Video is choppy)
Gnome-Panel
Evolution Email
Chrome-Browser

Now that you have a desktop you want to run, lets set it up to start for you instead of that launcher at the bottom of the screen now.

After installing your DE of choice thru apt-get or synaptic, navigate on your phone with Root File Explorer to /osh/usr/local/bin/ and open the file "start-oshwt-2.sh" in the text editor and you will be presented with something that looks like this:

#! /bin/sh
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: start_lxde2.sh
# Required-Start:
# Required-Stop:
# Default-Start:
# Default-Stop:
# Short-Description: started by adas user at login
### END INIT INFO

PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib

. /lib/lsb/init-functions
export `fbcp_dsba`

log_action_msg "Will now start OSHWT 2 scripts"

sfalv -i "/usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-gdu-volume-monitor"

# start OSHWT 2 scripts
sfalv -i "awn-autostart"
sfalv -i "webtop-panel"
sfalv -i "webtop-wallpaper"
sfalv -i "evbridge"
webtop-wallpaper &
evbridge &
sfalv -i "window_switcher"
system-config-printer-applet >/dev/null 2>/dev/null &
sr-test avahi_start &

# IKXWEBTOP-5690 workaround.
# xkb is broken in 10.10 in that each time a keyboard is connected
# the layout of all other keyboards become the layout of
# the last connected keyboard.
# There is an xorg.conf.d rule that forces all keyboards to
# layout 'us(android)' but for some reason it is not working for
# evfwd. Here we force xkb to work with 'us(android)' so evfwd
# is assigned the right layout.
setxkbmap 'us(android)'

Note:
I highlighted the section you are interested in in Blue.
The sfalv -i "awn-autostart" command might also bin the file /osh/usr/local/bin/start-oshwt-1.sh

From here, if you comment out the sfalv -i "awn-autostart", then add to the script sfalv -i "xfdesktop" and sfalv -i "xfce4-panel" if you installed xfce4 or whatever Desktop environment you installed. If you followed this, your script should look like this:

#! /bin/sh
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Required-Start:
# Required-Stop:
# Default-Start:
# Default-Stop:
### END INIT INFO

export `fbcp_dsba`

# start OSHWT 2 scripts
#sfalv -i "awn-autostart"
sfalv -i "webtop-panel"
sfalv -i "xfdesktop"
sfalv -i "xfce4-panel"
#sfalv -i "webtop-wallpaper"
#sfalv -i "evbridge"
webtop-wallpaper &
evbridge &
sr-test avahi_start &

setxkbmap 'us(android)'

picture.php

Last edited:

voodoomurphy

Mar 27, 2006
Hiya Jim! Thanks for posting this!

Question:
So with this it says you have to have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse for use with a TV. Did they disable the onscreen keyboard and mouse then?

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
Hiya Jim! Thanks for posting this!

Question:
So with this it says you have to have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse for use with a TV. Did they disable the onscreen keyboard and mouse then?

If you use the webtop patch for connecting to a tv, I THINK you can still use the touch screen on the phone for keyboard and mouse, but I will be real honest, I have not tried it, since I have the HD dock and I have used a lapdock or two to play with.

Reactions: chimarea and mlts22

voodoomurphy

Mar 27, 2006
Jim,

I gparted my **** the other day and made a 4 gig partition called Linux, but when I ran the script I got this:

done. Sit back this will all take a while. ==========================================================

Finding the partition you setup and formatted to ext3....

Copying the scripts that will mount the osh partition on your sdcard at every boot.

Copied mountosh into place
stat: cannot stat '/tmp/osh': No such file or directory
Mounting your sdcard linux partition so that we can copy over the wetop install to it

link_image[1964]: 10279 could not load needed library 'liblog.so' for '/system/bin/mount' (link_image[1964]: 10279 could not load needed library 'libgcc_s.so.1' for 'liblog.so' (load_library[1106]: Library 'libgcc_s.so.1' not found))CANNOT LINK EXECUTABLE
[: 45881: unknown operand
Your SD card did not mount properly; Please send the log to the author of this script
root@edison:/data/local# Chris-Murphys-MacBook-Pro:~ chrismurphy$

and now the web top will not load to my TV. I am using the hdmi hack for that. Thoughts?

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
Jim,

I gparted my **** the other day and made a 4 gig partition called Linux, but when I ran the script I got this:

done. Sit back this will all take a while. ==========================================================

Finding the partition you setup and formatted to ext3....

Copying the scripts that will mount the osh partition on your sdcard at every boot.

Copied mountosh into place
stat: cannot stat '/tmp/osh': No such file or directory
Mounting your sdcard linux partition so that we can copy over the wetop install to it

link_image[1964]: 10279 could not load needed library 'liblog.so' for '/system/bin/mount' (link_image[1964]: 10279 could not load needed library 'libgcc_s.so.1' for 'liblog.so' (load_library[1106]: Library 'libgcc_s.so.1' not found))CANNOT LINK EXECUTABLE
[: 45881: unknown operand
Your SD card did not mount properly; Please send the log to the author of this script
root@edison:/data/local# Chris-Murphys-MacBook-Pro:~ chrismurphy$

and now the web top will not load to my TV. I am using the hdmi hack for that. Thoughts?

ok adb in and remove the files you used.

Code:

adb shell
cd /data/local
rm setup_webtop.sh
rm mountosh
rm mountosh1
rm unlock_webtop.tar
rm webtop_setup.log
mount -o remount, rw /system
cd /system/bin
rm mountosh
mv mountosh.orig mountosh
cd /data/local

End Code

Then go download the tarball again from the link in the OP (I made a slight change in the script that should fix the error about stating the /tmp/osh directory), and do the instructions in OP again.

Reactions: chimarea

voodoomurphy

Mar 27, 2006
ok adb in and remove the files you used.

Code:

adb shell
cd /data/local
rm setup_webtop.sh
rm mountosh
rm mountosh1
rm unlock_webtop.tar
rm webtop_setup.log
cd /system/bin
rm mountosh
mv mountosh.orig mountosh
cd /data/local

End Code

Then go download the tarball again from the link in the OP (I made a slight change in the script that should fix the error about stating the /tmp/osh directory), and do the instructions in OP again.

ok so when I tried to rm mountosh it gave me permissions denied.

EDIT** Ahh, I needed to be su after going into dab

Edit***: Jim When I try to run the webtop SH file I get this:

root@edison:/data/local# sh ./setup_webtop.sh
./setup_webtop.sh: 116: Syntax error: "}" unexpected (expecting "fi")
root@edison:/data/local#

Last edited:

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
ok so when I tried to rm mountosh it gave me permissions denied.

EDIT** Ahh, I needed to be su after going into dab

Edit***: Jim When I try to run the webtop SH file I get this:

./setup_webtop.sh: 116: Syntax error: "}" unexpected (expecting "fi")

Ok, I found the issue, I forgot to close out a new if loop I had to add to fix the last issue.

I have updated it, go re download and remove the files in /data/local

check to make sure that there is not a /system/mountosh.orig,
if there is, move it back to mountosh, and remove the mountosh script ONLY if there is a mountosh.orig. I am guessing that there is not one since this most likely did not run at all.

P.S. I can't test it, since I don't have my replacement phone yet, they did not have any in stock at the repair center, so Motorola had to send me a new one on Sat. I should have it tomorrow or Wed. at the latest, I will have to do all of these things again, and I can test it then is depth a little more. Otherwise if you don't mind Being the guinea pig I will fix any issues ASAP.

Last edited:
Reactions: mantoles

voodoomurphy

Mar 27, 2006
Ok, I found the issue, I forgot to close out a new if loop I had to add to fix the last issue.

I have updated it, go re download and remove the files in /data/local

check to make sure that there is not a /system/mountosh.orig,
if there is, move it back to mountosh, and remove the mountosh script ONLY if there is a mountosh.orig. I am guessing that there is not one since this most likely did not run at all.

P.S. I can't test it, since I don't have my replacement phone yet, they did not have any in stock at the repair center, so Motorola had to send me a new one on Sat. I should have it tomorrow or Wed. at the latest, I will have to do all of these things again, and I can test it then is depth a little more. Otherwise if you don't mind Being the guinea pig I will fix any issues ASAP.

Well Now I get this when I try to open the sh file:

.: Can't open /osh/upath.sh

I'll Keep trying as long as you think it's fixable. :) Last thing I want is to lose my web top entirely.

EDIT**: Right now when I connect my phone to my monitor I get a moving Motorola logo like it's a screen saver.

Last edited:

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
Well Now I get this when I try to open the sh file:

.: Can't open /osh/upath.sh

I'll Keep trying as long as you think it's fixable. :) Last thing I want is to lose my web top entirely.

EDIT**: Right now when I connect my phone to my monitor I get a moving Motorola logo like it's a screen saver.

It is fixable! I used to be a system admin, (before I switched to consulting and system architecture) and you can always fix it until it no longer boots.

when you ran the script, did fully run and did you see files being copied, and did it reboot your phone?

ok, now I need you to run a few commands and collect some data. post the output here, after you get it.

Code:

adb shell
su
/system/bin/fdisk -l /dev/block/mmcblk0 | grep -i linux
busybox df -h
ls -l /system/mountosh
ls -l /system/mountosh.orig
cd /osh
cd /osh/etc
ls -l

End Code

I am suspecting that the script somehow applied the patch, and the FACLs and MACLs are still in place.

If things look good, then we will try and move tomoyo out of the way.

voodoomurphy

Mar 27, 2006
It is fixable! I used to be a system admin, (before I switched to consulting and system architecture) and you can always fix it until it no longer boots.

when you ran the script, did fully run and did you see files being copied, and did it reboot your phone?

ok, now I need you to run a few commands and collect some data. post the output here, after you get it.

Code:

adb shell
su
/system/bin/fdisk -l /dev/block/mmcblk0 | grep -i linux
busybox df -h
ls -l /system/mountosh
ls -l /system/mountosh.orig
cd /osh
cd /osh/etc
ls -l

End Code

I am suspecting that the script somehow applied the patch, and the FACLs and MACLs are still in place.

If things look good, then we will try and move tomoyo out of the way.
files did copy, but then it all errored out. BTW I went back in and followed your instructions for the partitioning.

here's what I have from the code you asked for:

Chris-Murphys-MacBook-Pro:~ chrismurphy$ adb shell
shell@edison:/$ su
root@edison:/# /system/bin/fdisk -l /dev/block/mmcblk0 | grep -i linux
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 33 192864 6170624 83 Linux
root@edison:/# busybox df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
tmpfs 464.7M 76.0K 464.6M 0% /dev
tmpfs 464.7M 0 464.7M 0% /mnt/asec
tmpfs 464.7M 0 464.7M 0% /mnt/obb
/dev/block/system 477.5M 329.2M 148.3M 69% /system
/dev/block/userdata 4.5G 457.2M 4.1G 10% /data
/dev/block/cache 688.6M 16.7M 671.9M 2% /cache
/dev/block/pds 3.9M 1.1M 2.8M 28% /pds
/dev/block/preinstall
274.7M 23.5M 251.3M 9% /preinstall
/dev/block/vold/179:1
23.8G 4.0G 19.8G 17% /mnt/sdcard
23.8G 4.0G 19.8G 17% /mnt/secure/asec
df: /mnt/sdcard/.android_secure: Invalid cross-device link
/mnt/sdcard 23.8G 4.0G 19.8G 17% /mnt/sdcard
/dev/block/dm-0 3.0M 1.8M 1.2M 60% /mnt/asec/com.ea.worms_na-1
root@edison:/# ls -l /system/mountosh
/system/mountosh: No such file or directory
root@edison:/# ls -l /system/mountosh.orig
/system/mountosh.orig: No such file or directory
root@edison:/# cd /osh
root@edison:/osh# cd /osh/etc
cd: can't cd to /osh/etc
root@edison:/osh# ls -l
root@edison:/osh# ls
root@edison:/osh#

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
files did copy, but then it all errored out. BTW I went back in and followed your instructions for the partitioning.

here's what I have from the code you asked for:

Chris-Murphys-MacBook-Pro:~ chrismurphy$ adb shell
shell@edison:/$ su
root@edison:/# /system/bin/fdisk -l /dev/block/mmcblk0 | grep -i linux
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 33 192864 6170624 83 Linux
root@edison:/# busybox df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
tmpfs 464.7M 76.0K 464.6M 0% /dev
tmpfs 464.7M 0 464.7M 0% /mnt/asec
tmpfs 464.7M 0 464.7M 0% /mnt/obb
/dev/block/system 477.5M 329.2M 148.3M 69% /system
/dev/block/userdata 4.5G 457.2M 4.1G 10% /data
/dev/block/cache 688.6M 16.7M 671.9M 2% /cache
/dev/block/pds 3.9M 1.1M 2.8M 28% /pds
/dev/block/preinstall
274.7M 23.5M 251.3M 9% /preinstall
23.8G 4.0G 19.8G 17% /mnt/sdcard
23.8G 4.0G 19.8G 17% /mnt/secure/asec
df: /mnt/sdcard/.android_secure: Invalid cross-device link
/mnt/sdcard 23.8G 4.0G 19.8G 17% /mnt/sdcard
/dev/block/dm-0 3.0M 1.8M 1.2M 60% /mnt/asec/com.ea.worms_na-1
root@edison:/# cd /osh
root@edison:/osh# cd /osh/etc
cd: can't cd to /osh/etc
root@edison:/osh# ls -l
root@edison:/osh# ls
root@edison:/osh#

Ok, I see one issue, I think I miss-typed on location in those commands...

Run this for me.

Code:

adb shell
su
ls -l /system/bin/mountosh
ls -l /system/bin/mountosh.orig

End Code

show that to me...

It looks like /osh just is not mounted or the mountosh script is missing... That is easy to fix, at worst case if it is not there, that I can get for you when I get my replacement today or tomorrow.

Last edited:

voodoomurphy

Mar 27, 2006
You are missing the script to mount the /osh parition completely that is why everything is not working. That means that right now, Android can't see anything on that partition, either the one you created or the one that ships with the phone.

About the best thing I can do right now is to have you hang tight until I have my replacement in hand and I can get a copy of the original mountosh file for you, so that the /osh parition will mount up again, that is a very easy fix for all this. Once I have that for you I will give you instructions on what to do to get you back up and running.

I was hoping that is all it was.

It looks like when you were cleaning up after one of the script runs you removed the mountosh.orig instead of moving it back to mountosh.

crap. User error strikes again. No Worries Jim, I will wait patiently. I wish there was a way to restore the whole phone to stock including the OSH info. Resetting up my phone prefs is damned easy. lol

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
crap. User error strikes again. No Worries Jim, I will wait patiently. I wish there was a way to restore the whole phone to stock including the OSH info. Resetting up my phone prefs is damned easy. lol

Wait I edited my post after you read it... I misread, re read.... oh well, here, twas my issue..

Run this for me.

Code:

adb shell
su

End Code

show that to me...

It looks like /osh just is not mounted or the mountosh script is missing... That is easy to fix, at worst case if it is not there, that I can get for you when I get my replacement today or tomorrow.

voodoomurphy

Mar 27, 2006
Wait I edited my post after you read it... I misread, re read.... oh well, here, twas my issue..

Run this for me.

Code:

adb shell
su

End Code

show that to me...

root@edison:/#

here's an LS of the directory:
root@edison:/# ls
cdrom
misc
pds
config
cache
sdcard-ext
sdcard
acct
tmp
preinstall
osh
mnt
vendor
d
etc
ueventd.rc
ueventd.mapphone_umts.rc
ueventd.mapphone_cdma.rc
ueventd.goldfish.rc
system
sys
sbin
proc
init_prep_keypad.sh
init.rc
init.mapphone_umts.rc
init.mapphone_cdma.rc
init.goldfish.rc
init
default.prop
data
bin
root
dev

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX

here's an LS of the directory:
root@edison:/# ls
cdrom
misc
pds
config
cache
sdcard-ext
sdcard
acct
tmp
preinstall
osh
mnt
vendor
d
etc
ueventd.rc
ueventd.mapphone_umts.rc
ueventd.mapphone_cdma.rc
ueventd.goldfish.rc
system
sys
sbin
proc
init_prep_keypad.sh
init.rc
init.mapphone_umts.rc
init.mapphone_cdma.rc
init.goldfish.rc
init
default.prop
data
bin
root
dev

I did the same thing.... take a look again.

it is....

Code:

adb shell
su

End Code

I typed it wrong the first time....

voodoomurphy

Mar 27, 2006
I did the same thing.... take a look again.

it is....

Code:

adb shell
su

End Code

I typed it wrong the first time....

root@edison:/# ls -l /system/bin/mountosh
/system/bin/mountosh: No such file or directory
root@edison:/# ls -l /system/bin/mountosh.orig
/system/bin/mountosh.orig: No such file or directory

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
root@edison:/# ls -l /system/bin/mountosh
/system/bin/mountosh: No such file or directory
root@edison:/# ls -l /system/bin/mountosh.orig
/system/bin/mountosh.orig: No such file or directory

Ok, so then they really are not there... So, Sit tight I will get the original mountosh that they ship on my replacement, and get it uploaded for you, then you can run the script again... that is why all the errors happened, since /osh was not mounted, from the original ( do alot of tests for it to be there in my script), and it could not mount since the script that does this was not there, nor the one I hacked to mount our partition over the default one.

Reactions: voodoomurphy

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, Today I will show how to fully unlock the webtop feature in the Atrix 2, so that you can use your favorite Linux apps and desktop, to be more productive while using webtop.

This will be in several posts to make this easier to read and understand.

There are several requirements I will list here, first:

1) A way to use webtop - The HD, or lapdock, or have completed the webtop mod for the HDMI connection Here
    2) This is most important, and if you completed 1, then you most likely have done it, root your Atrix 2
    3) A USB SDcard reader. I have the Sandisk imagemagick, but any one you like will do
    4) Be able to ADB from your computer to your phone
    5) Not afraid of a little command line work :)

Partition Instructions:
    Depending upon your operating system, free software is available so that you can partition and format your device without losing all the data on it.

You will need to get one of the apps / iso images below, I recommend the live iso with gparted on it, just because I am a UNIX/ Linux guy by trade and choice, and this is what I use.

Linux gparted live iso image:
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

Windows MiniTool Partition Wizard:
    http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

You must create a parition on your SDcard for webtop, as this is is a full Operating System and takes a good bit of space. I made mine around 8GB on my 32GB card, and for the purpose of showing you here, I created a 4GB partition on a spare 16GB card I have. 1GB is the minimum, because that is what is already being used on the Atrix2 and I think it is about 80% full or so.

The partition you create MUST be a primary partition and formated to ext3.

For Windows here are some screen shots from another board that may help, with instructions:

This is what the MiniTool Partition Wizard screen looks like when I have an 8 GB SD card inserted. As you can see, there's currently one single FAT32 partition present.
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=651143&d=1310342755

When you right click on the partition, you'll see a Move/Resize option. That's the one you want to select for non-destructive partitioning.
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=651144&d=1310342755

At that point, you can select how large you want your partition to be. You want to make sure that the "Unallocated Space Before" stays at 0.00 MB, so that the new partition will be the second one. In my case, I've opted to create a 4 GB partition as the second partition.
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=651145&d=1310342755

Once that has been set up, right click on the Unallocated space, then select Create.
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=651146&d=1310342766

We're not worried about the warning that Windows throws up, particularly since we know we'll be creating a partition that Windows can't read anyways. So just hit Yes.
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=651147&d=1310342766

Create the second partition at the maximum size with the following settings:

Create As: Primary
    File System: Ext3
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=651148&d=1310342766

After that's done, click on the Apply Changes button.
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=651149&d=1310342766

And now you're done! Put the card back into your Atrix2

Now for gparted:

If you are familiar with Linux and know how to use gparted, just resize your FAT32 partition to whatever size you want, then create a partition at least 1GB in size (I recommend 4GB), and make it an EXT3.

Now for the rest that are using the iso here is some info and screen prints:

Launch gparted:
    Here is a screen print of my desktop with gparted running:
    picture.php

Now in the upper right corner there is a little drop down that has something like /dev/sda in it, change this to your SDcard, mine was /dev/sdc.

Next right click on the partition in the middle of the screen, it should be surrounded in green, then click Resize/Move:
    picture.php

Then when the next screen comes up, drag the arrow from the left to the middle of the screen to resize the partition, to the size you want, this is in MegaBytes:
    picture.php

Now will have one partition that is ready to resize, and it should look like this, you will click on the "Apply all Operations button":
    picture.php

Then a little window with the percentage will show up and tell you when it is complete, just click the close button when it finishes.

Next you will right click on the unallocated part of the SDcard and click new:
    picture.php

Then you will tell it how big in new size box, I let it do the whole thing at 4GB, then select ext3 in the File system drop down menu:
    picture.php

Then after you click add in the last screen, you will click the "Apply all Operations button" Again:
    picture.php

Now it will show the percentage window again, and when it is complete, click the close button.

Done! Now it should look like this:
    picture.php

Put your SDcard back into your phone now.

Next will be how to copy over some patches and a script that will do a lot more, and a manual way for the brave.
    Now that you can get into synaptic, go find a desktop you like and install it.

I use gnome and I like it, but here is a list of KNOWN working apps, I am sure there are many more, just know some will not work at all.

Working Programs:
    OpenOffice
    XFCE4
    Xchat
    LxTerminal
    Transmission
    lxpanel
    rdesktop
    VLC Player (Video is choppy)
    Gnome-Panel
    Evolution Email
    Chrome-Browser

Now that you have a desktop you want to run, lets set it up to start for you instead of that launcher at the bottom of the screen now.

After installing your DE of choice thru apt-get or synaptic, navigate on your phone with Root File Explorer to /osh/usr/local/bin/ and open the file "start-oshwt-2.sh" in the text editor and you will be presented with something that looks like this:

#! /bin/sh
    ### BEGIN INIT INFO
    # Required-Start:
    # Required-Stop:
    # Default-Start:
    # Default-Stop:
    ### END INIT INFO

export `fbcp_dsba`

# start OSHWT 2 scripts
    sfalv -i "awn-autostart"
    sfalv -i "webtop-panel"
    sfalv -i "webtop-wallpaper"
    sfalv -i "evbridge"
    webtop-wallpaper &
    evbridge &
    sr-test avahi_start &

setxkbmap 'us(android)'

Note:
    I highlighted the section you are interested in in Blue.
    The sfalv -i "awn-autostart" command might also bin the file /osh/usr/local/bin/start-oshwt-1.sh

From here, if you comment out the sfalv -i "awn-autostart", then add to the script sfalv -i "xfdesktop" and sfalv -i "xfce4-panel" if you installed xfce4 or whatever Desktop environment you installed. If you followed this, your script should look like this:

#! /bin/sh
    ### BEGIN INIT INFO
    # Required-Start:
    # Required-Stop:
    # Default-Start:
    # Default-Stop:
    ### END INIT INFO

export `fbcp_dsba`

# start OSHWT 2 scripts
    #sfalv -i "awn-autostart"
    sfalv -i "webtop-panel"
    sfalv -i "xfdesktop"
    sfalv -i "xfce4-panel"
    #sfalv -i "webtop-wallpaper"
    #sfalv -i "evbridge"
    webtop-wallpaper &
    evbridge &
    sr-test avahi_start &

setxkbmap 'us(android)'

picture.php
    I want ubuntu at ICS LEAK 4.0.4 very much..because I`m in Russia, and I want to have a russian input keyboard.

Be patient!

I am working on getting ubuntu back for webtop for ICS... but the "Official" OTA has not even been released yet. I am working on things using the leak, but that is no guarantee... So, again just hang tight, I am working in the background to bring the ubuntu webtop back from the dead.
    Ok, so now that we are partitioned we can do some real fun stuff, and by fun stuff I mean command line. :)

I would make sure you are plugged into a power source when you are doing this part, becuase the script will run for a very long time, it is copying 1GB of data to your SDcard, and installing a patch that includes another 100 or so MB of needed programs.

Go get this tarball

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU COPY THIS INTO /data/local ON YOUR PHONE

Copy this to your system with:

adb push webtop_unlock.tar /data/local

Now connect to your phone with ADB

adb shell
    su
    cd /data/local
    tar -xvf webtop_unlock.tar
    chmod 755 setup_webtop.sh
    sh ./setup_webtop.sh

This will do a whole lot of things, like copy the webtop install to your SDcard, then patch it, so that you can run synaptic and a termial and disable the FACLs and MACLs that Motorola has implemented, so that it is not locked down anymore.

***Note: I only had a chance to run and test this script once, so if it is an issue please let me know nicely in a post here, or PM me, but please copy any errors or get a screen print if you can, so that I know what to fix. Please don't post a reply with it did not work, give me as much info as you can.

After your phone reboots ADB into it again, and do this:
    su
    mount -o remount, rw /

**take note that you must run the "mount -o remount, rw /" command anytime you reboot your phone because any programs you get thru apt-get or synaptic will error out during installation
    Now that you have most of what you need Do this:

Connect to webtop with whatever method you like, HD dock, or lapdock, or TV (you most likely have to have a bluetooth keyboard mouse to use your TV).

Then when the webtop session starts:
    Ctrl+Alt+T

picture.php

When the Terminal launches type this at the command line and hit return
    sudo apt-get update

From here, you can run "gksu synaptic" and use the password "test" to start installing various different programs and packages that are normally available on Ubuntu.

picture.php

Dependencies
    Take caution when modding Webtop because there are some dependencies that will break Webtop if they are upgraded such as anything ending in a .mot or anything resembling that.

Credits
    Please thank [mbm] for fixing what Motorola took out, without him, none of this would be possible without his patch.

Sogarth for being the pioneer of Webtop hacking.