[ICS] Nyan Colonel v5 (Atarashii) Voodoo & No Voodoo

Search This thread

beltsnspoons

Jul 28, 2011
Dayton, Ohio
On the Gnex if it's backed up on cwm you can not restore using twrp, or visa versa. Sorry I'm pretty sure it's the same here.

Sent from a phone...

I think your misunderstanding what I'm saying. There's no way to restore a cwm backup on twrp, it won't even let you try. What I'm saying is when you are coming from a rom using nyan and twrp, and you use twrp to flash a rom such as, clean gb, and add shadow kernel, which doesn't implement twrp recovery, you have the option to inject twrp after install, so that that rom and kernel combination will use twrp a its recovery instead of cwm. What I'm asking is, when you backup that combo with twrp injected via twrp, does it backup twrp as the recovery, our do you have to reinject it after restoring this type of backup?

Doesn't really matter I guess, I've lost a lot of faith in twrp lately. As last night after using it to flash tpr 2.2 and injecting twrp it put me back in download only and left me having to odin again.

Is a shame really, I realty like thus recovery. I guess my phone just doesn't.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

Last edited:

Ragnar

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 11, 2011
Valhalla
I think your misunderstanding what I'm saying. There's no way to restore a cwm backup on twrp, it won't even let you try. What I'm saying is when you are coming from a rom using nyan and twrp, and you use twrp to flash a rom such as, clean gb, and add shadow kernel, which doesn't implement twrp recovery, you have the option to inject twrp after install, so that that rom and kernel combination will use twrp a its recovery instead of cwm. What I'm asking is, when you backup that combo with twrp injected via twrp, does it backup twrp as the recovery, our do you have to reinject it after restoring this type of backup?

Doesn't really matter I guess, I've lost a lot of faith in twrp lately. As last night after using it to flash tpr 2.2 and injecting twrp it put me back in download only and left me having to odin again.

Gotcha!

Sent from a phone...

lmsomb

May 2, 2010
Union City

Do is inject the version of twrp that this kernel have which is only compatible with ics? That might be the issue . Or not.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA

Last edited:

beltsnspoons

Jul 28, 2011
Dayton, Ohio
Do is inject the version of twrp that this kernel have which is only compatible with ics? That might be the issue . Or not.

Are you asking me if TWRP is only compatible with ICS or if the kernel I'm using is? I'm not sure what you're asking.

I thought that if you injected TWRP after an install, it would replace whatever the kernel you installed's recovery was and would be able to use TWRP with any ROM/kernel combination. I could be wrong, I usually am, lol. jkjk.

But, maybe this discussion would be better off moving to the TWRP thread, as this thread is for nyan kernel, which seems to work incredibly well with my phone and ICS roms, as well as looking PHENOMENAL with my voodoo settings, and marcus has given us a way to revert to CWM if we prefer. Like I said before tho, it really is a shame I'm having such a hard time with TWRP cuz I love it when it works like its sposed to. It does incredibly fast backups and restores, it's easy to use and has an intuitive UI, it's a great recovery program, I just hate losing backups and having to odin all the time. :/

I'll keep checking back with it, checking for updates, seeing if I can figure out if theres something I'm doing wrong (which is more likely, haha,) I won't give up on TWRP yet. Not until people start hard bricking there phones with it.

RickyRage

Mar 20, 2012
Bronx
It's working okay for me. I'm having really extreme battery drain though. I'm draining while plugged into the wall just because the screen is on.

Weird......havent had that issue until today lol, went down 50% in about 3 hours somehow, before this morning battery life has been great, ill see what happens tomorrow

Tomcat5

Aug 17, 2011
Lower Slower Delaware
Weird......havent had that issue until today lol, went down 50% in about 3 hours somehow, before this morning battery life has been great, ill see what happens tomorrow

I woke up this morning and it was at 0%. I had set it to stream TuneIn for 2 hours. I slept for 5 hours and when I woke up it was bootlooping. Android was shutting down and losing power and then the ROM would not stay shut down. This has happened several times on AOKP for me where there is absolutely nothing I can do to shut it down since as soon as it gets any power it will boot up. That was weird. Then I had it on a car charger and it refused to charge unless airplane mode was on. I think the Hyperion was overheating but I really don't know for sure. The not shutting down thing is a ROM problem or ROM/app conflict, though.

MeetFace

Dec 31, 2010
Anyone else get performance degradation running this after a week or so? Not sure if it was the kernel, or if my son did a battery pull and I ended up with some data corruption.

Just curious. I'm back on stock for the time-being, going to see if something similar happens, but CRAP does the screen look ugly w/o being able to tweak the color settings.

XxLostSoulxX

May 22, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Anyone else get performance degradation running this after a week or so? Not sure if it was the kernel, or if my son did a battery pull and I ended up with some data corruption.

Just curious. I'm back on stock for the time-being, going to see if something similar happens, but CRAP does the screen look ugly w/o being able to tweak the color settings.

I know and they say stock looks good clearly their on LSD because Voodoo Color was invented for a reason

omair2005

Jul 26, 2007
I know and they say stock looks good clearly their on LSD because Voodoo Color was invented for a reason

I had this wallpaper I like, and it looks better without voodoo.. See for yourself. The blacks look washed up with voodoo
ae54e957-a44c-889e.jpg

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

seoulseek80

Jan 21, 2011
massive battery drain from what ive seen and Marcus already said he was going to update to v5 things needed to be fixed as it is from 4.3.

Etc...

hope they fix this soon with either the kernel or rom aopk. Phones been running 3 hours with average usage and down to 70% already. kind of tired of hearing that its a user issue all the time. I've wiped data,cache,davlik ect. fresh installed apps, didnt install any apps and same problem but i noticed it just degrades over time. so most won't notice the battery drain right away until a couple days or week later. Its definitely not the phone as I ran complete stock and get awesome battery. Not blaming anybody but not being blamed either. just need to get down to the root of the issue hopefully. ;)

MeetFace

Dec 31, 2010
We should remember that each screen is different (not sure what the variance or tendency is).

Sure, my VooDoo settings were probably a bit over-saturated, I probably was a little heavy on the contrast, but w/o VooDoo, the colors are far to washed out, I think I have a little too much green or blue.

I hope CM9 decides to include Voodoo stock, as long as they get some decent stock values (even then, I'd probably still prefer it) as they mentioned they are considering.

Until then I'll wait patiently for v5 =]

Zeinzu

Aug 18, 2010
Manchester
www.sdx-developers.com
We should remember that each screen is different (not sure what the variance or tendency is).

Sure, my VooDoo settings were probably a bit over-saturated, I probably was a little heavy on the contrast, but w/o VooDoo, the colors are far to washed out, I think I have a little too much green or blue.

I hope CM9 decides to include Voodoo stock, as long as they get some decent stock values (even then, I'd probably still prefer it) as they mentioned they are considering.

Until then I'll wait patiently for v5 =]

Well ^this better not ever happen. Makes me glad the dev team already said it won't. If it does I consider cm9 ruined and will probably just go back to TW stock...

Sent from my SPH-D700 CM9 ANDROID 4.0.4

Reactions: Restola

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please try shadow, samurai, and stock kernels also for a bit to see what one you like best! Don't choose a kernel because everyone else likes it or because it has a long feature list and fancy new shiny things.

6b32ae90-01ca-47b8.jpg

This is a kernel, not a full ROM... please use AOKP, MIUI4, or CM9 with this...

Atarashii - New/Fresh - This kernel was made to revolutionize what all of the current 'normal' Epic kernels have. I have added in tweaks and mods that were never before seen on the Epic, long forgotten, and from other devices such as the Nexus S and i9000.

Hopefully (probably) most other kernel developers will implement these new features and help keep the Epic current.

I prefer that you use NSTools to overclock and undervolt and do other tweaks. It is more featured than Voltage Control and this kernel supports it better. Voltage Control works fine too but I recommend uninstalling all cpu tools you have and installing NSTools.

I am not responsible to ANYTHING that happens to you or your phone as a result of using this kernel. Most things in this are experimental to a point but have been tested and confirmed safe.

Some of these features have NEVER been used before on the Epic, so don't expect everything that you are used to. Things can and will be different than usual.

Feature List

• Voodoo Sound v10 by Supercurio
    • Voodoo Color by Supercurio
    • Optimized compiler flags by netarchy and Ezekeel
    • Live OC (on the fly bus overclock) by Ezekeel (Use NSTools app, not voltage control)
    • Custom Undervolt by Ezekeel (Use NSTools app, not voltage control)
    • Misc. bugfixes
    • Battery Life eXtender (BLX) v1 by Ezekeel
    • OS tools compiled with O3
    • Swappiness set to 10 from 60 (Rodderik)
    • Voodoo mDNIe (keeps text sharp and backgrounds don't look like crap)
    • Defconfig tweaks
    • Overclocking (no need for enabling crap in Voltage Control)
    • Undervolting both via Voltage Control and NSTools (Ezekeel & nubecoder)
    • Tweaked ondemand
    • Tweaked conservative
    • Optimized SIO
    • Optimized deadline
    • Added TINY_PREEMPT_RCU
    • Added optimized CRC32 algorithm
    • Optimized ARM RWSEM algorithm
    • JHash 3
    • Added SLQB memory allocator
    • Add 3 Button Reboot
    • Increase default readahead to 1024kB
    • Voodoo Color defaults that do not suck
    • Allow CPU-supported unaligned accesses
    • Some SD/MMC tweaks (might reduce wakelocks)
    • mDNIe is enabled but tweaked to look good
    • Swag

Major thanks

• Ezekeel
    • Team Glitch
    • Epiccm team
    • bbelos
    • nubecoder
    • nullghost
    • rodderik
    • supercurio
    • Aprosamurai
    • thomasskull666
    • Many many others

Source
    https://github.com/marcusant/Atarashii

Download
    v5 w/ Voodoo: http://marcusant.com/nyankernel/epic/nyan_v5_perm.zip
    a0e5cca4fdc856c4468f8188e5d0c871

v5 w/o Voodoo: http://marcusant.com/nyankernel/epic/nyan_v5_perm_noVoodoo.zip
    ce52381883c180a09aefb2e3e427e730

Replace TWRP with CWM (flash within TWRP with inject off): http://marcusant.com/android/epic/restore-cwm.zip
    Changelog​

v5 WiP
    -Update to beta3 of cm9
    -Change DVFS relayed things
    -Cypress touch key fixes
    -Update to kernel 2.35.13 (still listed as .7)
    -Switch to git SHA1
    -Add boot progress bar
    -Switch to crespo mdnie
    -Reduce log buffer size
    -Battery updates from infuse
    -KSM
    -ULP_FREQ lowered to 400mhz
    -Sysfs control for capacitive lights
    -Glibc versions of string and memcopy
    -Add proportional rate reduction
    -Fix Google Maps
    -Increase USB strength
    -More

v4.1
    -Fix green flashing to some extent

v4.2
    -Add TWRP (may go back to CWM) (Dees-Troy)

v4.3
    -Add some misc stuff
    -Switched to voodoo color settings from bbelos
    -Fixed some sleeping stuff and 100mhz (mkasick)
    -Increase USB strength
    -Add sysfs control for softkeys (bbelos)
    -Update to current beta3 of CM9 (still works on AOKP and older CM9 builds)
    -Fixed GMaps​
    Please uninstall NSTools if you have deep sleep issues and use Voltage Control.

Hehe...this sounds kinda like those medication commercials with all the side effects that seem much worse than what you're trying to treat in the first place:

"Ask your doctor about Nyan Colonel. Tell your doctor if you see flashes of green when you open your eyes, as this could be a serious eyeball gamma problem. Don't take Nyan Colonel if you have liver, kidney, or colon problems or if you have deep sleep issues. Side effects include overclocking, snappy menu response, increased battery life, and spontaneous fits of laughter when hearing the phrase "I love my iPhone"

You have to remember that I am not making this for YOU or even the community. I make this for MYSELF...

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2