Problems with GPS: Myth or fact?

Search This thread

PolishPoet

Aug 14, 2011
I can safely say that S3 gps is the best I've had out of all the smartphones I used. I am frequently in midtown Manhattan and it locks there within 10 seconds, and it works in my livingroom :)

I have to agree. I got mine just before the Xmas and have had no delays locking on satellites. Beats the scrap out of the Bionic.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

AngryGibson

Jan 30, 2012
Los Angeles
Tried out the GPS once again and it is safe to say that it is a piece of sh1t compared to my previous experiences with other androids. I'll try to see if I can find the thread that was recommended on trying to fix the situation. Returning it to Verizon is not an option since I bought the phone off of a friend. Everything else works great excepted the jacked up GPS.

Tried it while traveling from San Diego to LA earlier today and it was bouncing everywhere from driving on the other side of the 60 against traffic to driving on side streets when I was traveling on the freeway the entire time. GPS is a necessity so it would suck if I seriously have to go out and search out another phone because of this.

rmtobler

Sep 21, 2010
Ive said this more than a handful of times, but if your GPS sucks call verizon and get your phone replaced. Just got a 2nd replacement (for data issues this time, GPS issues the first) and the GPS is even better than one. I basically have full satellites before the GPS program is done loading.

Reactions: PolishPoet

AngryGibson

Jan 30, 2012
Los Angeles
Ive said this more than a handful of times, but if your GPS sucks call verizon and get your phone replaced. Just got a 2nd replacement (for data issues this time, GPS issues the first) and the GPS is even better than one. I basically have full satellites before the GPS program is done loading.
I guess you missed the part where I said the phone was purchased off contract NOT through Verizon Wireless.... Everything about the phone is in excellent condition except the GPS is crap...... So what is your suggestion now?

kintwofan

Jul 1, 2011
Irmo, SC
OnePlus 7T
Sony Xperia 1 III
I guess you missed the part where I said the phone was purchased off contract NOT through Verizon Wireless.... Everything about the phone is in excellent condition except the GPS is crap...... So what is your suggestion now?

Still call them I bought mine off cl and they still have me a replacement

Sent from my VS920 4G using xda app-developers app

AngryGibson

Jan 30, 2012
Los Angeles

Thank you for the response. I will do that tomorrow then.

Did you disclose to them that you purchased it through CL? or did you just mention that you were having issues with the GPS and they walked you through the typical "do this, that, and this" before they said that they would send you another?

One more thing, would you say it would be easier to go to a verizon store and talk to them about it or talking to someone over the phone?

Div033

Aug 17, 2010
It's getting a rough location estimate from access points when your turn WiFi on. WiFi location doesn't have anything to do with GPS. This will only work if you're by access points.

I'm actually well aware of how WiFi location works, but thanks anyway. I merely suspect there's some "bug" on the software level that Samsung is notoriously known for mucking up which prevents a lock unless WiFi is enabled. No magic here, just the entropy of Samsung always has me second guessing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

jonapunk

Jul 8, 2010
clinton township
Wifi will only help of your not moving away from that location I also only use gps no Google location or verizon and I get a lock with in 5 seconds and about 20 inside a building if I'm down stairs. The only time it doesn't work is if I am in a basement in the city.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

niv3d

Oct 15, 2010
Winter Haven
I'm still on a launch day phone and my gps is trash! I've tried every gps fix in the gps thread with no luck. I'm currently on stock vrblk3 unrooted and I still have no lock. My replacement will be here today. Heres to hoping gps will work!

If it does i'll be nervous to root, unlock and flash again lol

BlingDynasty

Sep 27, 2008
I'm in the same boat as many of you and I've tried the various fixes with mixed results. I remember back when I was struggling with my TP2 running Windows, GPS was always pretty solid, even indoors, while my GS3 doesn't get anything without there being direct line-of-sight to the satellites.

This only led me to believe that the phones operate in different GPS modes since I'd lose GPS lock without data on the TP2 and I could turn off data and still acquire satellites with my GS3.

I began tinkering with the gps.conf file to see if that helped things, but it ultimately only made a moderate improvement. This did however lead me in a better direction. The AGPS fix (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1880411) for GS3 has two device-specific fixes. There is only a minor difference between the two and everything else was identical:

INTERMEDIATE_POS= (either 1 or 0)
ACCURACY_THRES=3000
DEFAULT_AGPS_ENABLE=TRUE
DEFAULT_USER_PLANE=TRUE
DEFAULT_SSL_ENABLE=FALSE
AssistMethodType=1
AgpsUse=1
AgpsServerType=1
AgpsServerIp=3232235555
AgpsMtConf=0
AgpsMtResponseType=1

SUPL_HOST=supl.google.com
SUPL_PORT=7276

SUPL_NO_SECURE_PORT=3425​

I found that this fix worked more or less the same as the gps.conf that's standard, so I figured that AGPS wasn't enabled although the configuration file says to use it. There was something in the notes of the AGPS fix that seemed directly related and it's a line in the build.prop file. The notes specifically state "You need to change "ro.ril.def.agps.mode = 2" or "ro.ril.def.agps.mode = 0" to be "ro.ril.def.agps.mode = 1" in order for aGPS to properly function."

Well I tried it and it didn't seem to do anything. AT ALL. I had absolutely no clue what the 0,1, and 2 modes were, so I searched a little more. I figured there had to place in the secret menu or an app that accessed it to change gps modes in plain English, and I stumbled upon AngryGPS in the Galaxy Nexus thread (http://rootzwiki.com/topic/21453-optimal-gps-settings-for-galaxy-nexus/). It took me installing LauncherPro in order open the program, but when I did, there were four GPS modes listed in the settings:

• STANDALONE (which was my setting)
  • MSBASED
  • MSASSISTED
  • NETWORK PROVIDER

I thought this made sense and went on to try the other ones. I've been on MSASSITED since this morning and was able to acquire satellites inside my place where I wasn't able to before. Now it wasn't lightning fast or anything, but it was a promising sign. I navigated to work this morning without any of the annoying jumps to hundreds of feet away or hearing "GPS Signal Lost".

That's where I am. I didn't want to come to the discussion empty-handed, so if this helps someone, great. If someone can add on, even better!

Peace.

AngryGibson

Jan 30, 2012
Los Angeles

I took your advice and got in touch with them and they are sending a replacement out for me. Thanks for the suggestion

Did you buy a phone without a warranty?
As far as warranty is concerned, I guess it had its normal factory warranty that was used to send me a replacement because apparently it did not matter that it was a second hand device. I suppose it has a year warranty?

Last edited:

niv3d

Oct 15, 2010
Winter Haven
Just an update... I received a replacement device and GPS is flawless! I must have had a bad device

BlueCross

Jun 8, 2012
Minnesota
Just an update... I received a replacement device and GPS is flawless! I must have had a bad device

I used to get fast gps lock in my house and now I get nothing at all. Are you able to get a quick gps lock in your house? I'm wondering if I should get a replacement device....

niv3d

Oct 15, 2010
Winter Haven
I used to get fast gps lock in my house and now I get nothing at all. Are you able to get a quick gps lock in your house? I'm wondering if I should get a replacement device....

Yea I was never able to get a lock inside my house and now I'm getting a 3-5 meters lock.

So your GPS used to work without issues? And now it doesn't?

BlueCross

Jun 8, 2012
Minnesota
Yea I was never able to get a lock inside my house and now I'm getting a 3-5 meters lock.

So your GPS used to work without issues? And now it doesn't?

I have no issues getting a lock when I'm outside. Every once in a while, I can't get a lock when I'm in a car, but it's generally 1 out of every 20 times I'm using GPS. I get no lock in my house though, and I was able when I first received my phone.

I wonder if a replacement would help with an indoor lock.

Last edited:

niv3d

Oct 15, 2010
Winter Haven
I have no issues getting a lock when I'm outside. Every once in a while, I can't get a lock when I'm in a car, but it's generally 1 out of every 20 times I'm using GPS. I get no lock in my house though, and I was able when I first received my phone.

I wonder if a replacement would help with an indoor lock.

Possibly. But if it worked before and has issues now I'd think that would be more software related

BlueCross

Jun 8, 2012
Minnesota
Possibly. But if it worked before and has issues now I'd think that would be more software related

I don't really think it's software related. I've ODIN'd back to stock a couple of times and am now running Bean's Build 8. Same thing everytime. Maybe I was just lucky to get a lock in my house when I first got my phone?

Dr. Light

Nov 24, 2010
I took your advice and got in touch with them and they are sending a replacement out for me. Thanks for the suggestion

As far as warranty is concerned, I guess it had its normal factory warranty that was used to send me a replacement because apparently it did not matter that it was a second hand device. I suppose it has a year warranty?

who did you guys call to get your phone replaced? samsung or verizon?
do you have a number?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Tightening the screws fixed my problems!!

My VZW Samsung Galaxy S3 (GS3) has had a crappy GPS signal from DAY ONE. coming from my DX, i noticed the difference instantly, and just chalked it up to different phone being crappier - in this regard.

the sat strength was always spotty and would lose the location fix regularly while driving. i've done everything.... i mean everything, to try and fix this... gps fix, deleting aGPS data, clearing framework data, reinstalling/uninstalling gmaps like 20 times, switching to CM10.1, AOKP, SYNERGY ROM, odin to back to stock, new kernels, you name it i've done it. Honestly, i have spent countless hours trying to get to the root of the problem.

the results were always mixed, sometimes appearing to be "better" for a few days, then deteriorating back to the original state. so i assumed it was always due to my tinkering and the software updates.

in GPStest i never really got a sat signal of greater than 25-30. and it would take sometimes 5-10 minutes for a lock in the best outdoor conditions, and even then the phone would struggle to hold a fix.

i was at my wits end when i read this thread where it said "try tightening the screws on the back". i thought - ah not gonna do anything, and didnt bother. until this morning, i was walking by the IT guys desk and saw a micro screw driver laying out.... so i borrowed it and tightened all the screws. some of the screws went about one full turn. most went only half to 3/4 of a turn.

i walked outside the office and fired up GPStest. oh my god, i almost screamed. 8 Sats in 3 seconds - ALL with signal strengths of 40+!!!! i have NEVER, EVER seen a signal above 30 on this phone, and even 30 would only be maybe 1 sat for a minute or two max. honestly, from my cube the middle of the office right now, i have a fix, with 15-20db signal on 6 sats, this is like the best i could do before if i OUTDOORS.

BOTTOM LINE: if you have GPS signal issues, TRY TIGHTENING THE DAMN SCREWS!!! it was worth it. so worth it.
    Simple mechanical GPS fix involving tightening the back frame of the phone

Hi,

I have a simple GPS fix that worked for me. I'd like to mention that the solution may not work for all but it did work for me after I tried just about every fix possible. For example I flashed back to stock, performed numerous battery pulls, used many of the AGPS patches, made numerous edits to the gps.conf file, reprovisioned my phone, checked different ROMs, uninstalled/reinstalled Google Maps, cleared data for Google Maps and Google Service Framework, and so on.

I tried all of the above methods because my GPS would take forever to get a fix both indoors and outdoors (I know it usually takes longer to get a fix indoors), wouldn't hold the fix while navigating and my GPS apps kept stating "Searching for GPS", would see 20+ satellites but would never lock on to them...man it was really frustrating. I just about gave up.

However, as I was trying to follow another procedure to fix my GPS which required me to pull my battery I noticed that when I removed my back cover that the back frame that has all the screws was slightly loose on the left side. Once I tightened them all up my GPS worked immediately! I've tested for a day and I consistently got a lock on the satellites in about 2-15 seconds depending on my location. My navigation also worked and wouldn't cut in and out.

Like I said it may not work for everyone but I would recommend that if you have a GS3 definitely check the back frame of your phone and make sure everything is secure. I've tried my GPS on the stock and CM 10 stable ROMs and I have achieved GPS locks consistently.

I hope this helps. Maybe this has already been shared but I figured I would post in case some of you haven't seen it yet.

Cheers.
    gps fix read here and worked on three different phones ive done it on

I can't find the original post, because I cannot remember in which thread it was on.

A fellow xda member said he looked at the screws on his wife's s3 and notices they were loose. He then said he simply tightened them and was getting instant lock.

After fighting with all the software fixes and patches I could find, & thinking that sounded like a goofy reason the GPS wouldn't work. I decided to go ahead and give it a shot.

Lock in seconds, and never loose Nav on the road. Have done it to three of my buddies other phones and they thought I was nuts, but it works.

I'll give all the credit to the CDA member once I find that post. Tighten your screws and you will see a drastic drastic difference!!

Edit: I found it!
    syintiphic
    A lot of people don't know is to turn on wifi first. You will get a lock on in seconds.

Tough to sign onto wifi on the highway
    Been having GPS problems for a long, long time on my S3. Happened on this post today.

It is true. I tightened the screws and now GPS works perfectly. Get fix in one or two seconds every time now. I am also getting 19 of 22 satellites connected and accuracy is at 10 feet which I think is the very best you can get.

Amazing, but true. Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app