Gingerbread OTA in 'the coming weeks' still

Search This thread

crachel

Retired Senior Moderator
Jul 13, 2008
Texas
Even if google would completely disclose their roadmaps, people would find something to speculate about.

Android and Me

There would be another extremely vocal group which is "not impressed" no matter what google offers.

Techcrunch

Another vocal part will hate the changes, you just can't please anyone.

app developers

And another which is bored and "not excited anymore" since anything they get is old news (was announced like 6 months ago).

xda

sknoslo

Aug 30, 2009
Flagstaff, AZ
People really should take into consideration the work that has to go into one of these updates. The android team has undoubtedly been running gingerbread on their N1's for months now, so its not an issue of it not being ready or being delayed. It's much easier to ship a phone with Gingerbread pre-installed, as with the NS, than to update an existing phone, so of course its not on our phone yet. First they have to rigorously test the build, then they have to rigorously test the OTA system, to make sure there are no serious bugs that could cause bricked devices, etc.

Just keep this in mind, yes Google said that the N1 would always be getting updates quickly, but they never said they would release updates that weren't ready. It's not some big conspiracy, they are just preparing.

b1337

Jan 21, 2010
Keep your opinions to yourself.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

post something useful that is related to the thread....opinions are like assholes everyone has one, you've posted enough on here to figure that out im sure...

i for one can patiently wait because i will probably still use miui over gingerbread

D

diversificationied

I honestly expect more out of Google.

I mean, I do systems engineering and I totally understand what its like to develop firmware and software development, but this is google. Theyve got armies of engineers and talented people who I think are passionate of their product.

The team behind the Nexus line of phones isn't as big as you think it is. It's also not

Last edited:

ChongoDroid

Jul 29, 2010
Vancouver
Google Pixel 4
Google Pixel 4 XL
Gingie is fun... the AOSP build is fine. I haven't run a stock rom in forever and it's strange how we take these phones for granted. I personally think Honeycomb will be the doosie that is really game changing. I also think we'll see more "system" apps updates as they are easier to update. So personally I think 2.3 brought the new maps, facebook, that crt animation I fell in love with strangely, new scrolling and apparently new apis for the awesome devs so I'm pretty happy.

Sent from my Google phone

pfmiller

May 24, 2010
They need to work on how this is done though, updating numerous system apps takes a pretty big hit on /data
Yeah. Google sent out a few minor system updates, like FRG83D. I don't know why they didn't include the updated apps like Gmail, Maps, Search, and Voice Search. They could have freed up a lot of space on my phone with that.

labbbby

Oct 8, 2008
Gingie is fun... the AOSP build is fine. I haven't run a stock rom in forever and it's strange how we take these phones for granted. I personally think Honeycomb will be the doosie that is really game changing. I also think we'll see more "system" apps updates as they are easier to update. So personally I think 2.3 brought the new maps, facebook, that crt animation I fell in love with strangely, new scrolling and apparently new apis for the awesome devs so I'm pretty happy.

I personally think that Android and me rumor might actually be right and that Honeycomb will be Android 2.4/2.5.

I wouldn't be surprised if they wait for Google I/O to announce the next major bump that should also receive a X.0 jump.

Additionally, the more I read about 2.3 the more I see that a lot of change happened under the hood. The Anandtech review contained a few interesting bits such as:

he other notable thing I tested was to find out whether the messaging (SMS/MMS) database is any better. In Android 2.1 and 2.2, I found over and over again that the whole thing would slow down after getting a day or more worth of texts inside. For me, that translates to a couple hundred. To test, I sent myself 200 messages and had friends bombard me best they could with everything they could muster. All total just over 500 in under an hour. The messaging application remained speedy and hasn’t become unbearably slow like I’m used to saying. As best I can tell, this seems way improved if not entirely fixed.

Gingerbread brings some GPU acceleration to task as well. Although not everything is hardware accelerated, almost all animations are, and there’s a definite difference in feel as a result. Things like the application launcher cube and the corresponding fade-in, fade-out which always felt like they chugged along on the Nexus One are way sped up. Not everything is perfect, however. Scrolling in most lists still sends the CPU to 100%, and the browser still doesn’t feel as smooth as it should, but the UI in Gingerbread does feel faster.

These tweaks and the gaming API look like ground work that would serve a new interface well. If you are going to slap a new interface with more eyecandy and gear up for gaming, you better be sure that the underlying components are flying...

michel-slm

Jun 29, 2010
Jakarta
yeah, but i don't understand this speculation. I expect google to give us honeycomb for sure, anything else will be unacceptable. Of course google is not obliged to give us updates, but as a conscious consumer i will switch to the product which is sold by the company valuing it's customer for a longer period of time. 2 years is a good bet, and im sure that Apple won't cut down their update support to less than 2 years, because in the past they provided updates for longer than that period.

That's the reason I stopped buying Nokia Maemo tablets -- the N900 and Google's N1 are hardware-wise relatively equivalent, but Nokia has a very poor track record at supporting OS updates on older hardware.

ChongoDroid

Jul 29, 2010
Vancouver
Google Pixel 4
Google Pixel 4 XL

Forgot to mention the new market! Such an improvement and it just reeks of android goodness

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

NexusDro

Jan 28, 2010
I wonder if the N1 Gingerbread will have all the features that the NxS has minus the NFC and gyroscope.

cezegg

Aug 11, 2010
after waiting this long, i really couldn't care less about gingerbread...
i'm pretty dang happy with my nexus one...
i think cyanogen's 6.1.1 rom trumps gingerbread...
but then again, i can't really say that, 'cause i've never used gingerbread.
thus rendering this post pretty dang useless. haha

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http://twitter.com/googlenexus/status/16974464310845440

Why is it always 'the coming weeks' with Google? :)

Could mean the ATO goes out the end of this week and continues over the coming weeks, or it could mean the OTA will start in a few weeks.

But I'm happy to wait, we've got stuff to tide us over for now.
    http://twitter.com/googlenexus/status/16974464310845440

Why is it always 'the coming weeks' with Google? :)

Could mean the ATO goes out the end of this week and continues over the coming weeks, or it could mean the OTA will start in a few weeks.

But I'm happy to wait, we've got stuff to tide us over for now.

iirc:

days = weeks
    weeks = months
    months = go fishing
    They said the same thing about our OTA when they announced Froyo. I think was pushed about a month later.

I don't really care about the OTA but I'd like some updated drivers so AOSP would run smoothly.
    I love how they complain like Gingerbread will be some sort of revolutionary update, it's nothing special.
    first of all i also don't think that gingerbread is anything special. i hate the new icons, i don't like the black notification drawer.

so i have no problem waiting. But i have a general issue with this delay, i bought the nexus one not much time ago expecting that it's the only real google phone and will be treated like that. which means it should get updates for 1,5-2 years.

Now i see people hoping to get honeycomb on the N1 at all officially, and gingerbread is being delayed. If even Google doesn't get it right on their first own smartphone flagship, then nobody in the android market will.

I really love Android OS and all of its pros, but getting updates without having to root or anything is very important for me, so if google fails to support the n1 in 2011 i'm going to switch to the iPhone. Hope it will not end like this, cause i prefer the Android OS.
    DELAY? THERE IS NO DELAY.
    GOOGLE HAS NEVER SET A DATE FOR THE 2.3 UPDATE.
    NO PHONE HAS BEEN UPDATED TO 2.3.
    Seriously, just stop. The constant crying from end users is mind numbing.
    Switch to the iPhone, you don't deserve an Android device.

Also, this thread should be LOCKED, since there is clearly a sticky at the top of the forum that reads ONLY GINGERBREAD THREAD.