[Q] Google Voice?

Search This thread

pjcace

Aug 22, 2006
Anyone able to get Google Voice working? I want to use the SMS app, but it gets stuck trying to read my nonexistant voicemail configuration. Anyone able to get that working? Would love to have it on my home screen.

Thanks.

pfer10

Jan 29, 2007
Anyone able to get Google Voice working? I want to use the SMS app, but it gets stuck trying to read my nonexistant voicemail configuration. Anyone able to get that working? Would love to have it on my home screen.

Thanks.

Just put this on your drive and click on it with the file explorer. When it asks for voicemail setup hit the skip button. You have a google voice number right?

Attachments

• com.google.android.apps.googlevoice-1.apk
    1.4 MB · Views: 209

MoonPhantasm

Dec 1, 2010
gAppsInstaller_v4 works for me too, I wasn't able to make it get past the voicemail configuration before I Tried v4 a few days ago.

linuxsociety

Dec 18, 2010
Southern Kentucky
google voice hanging on voicemail setup

I had the same issue with it being stuck on the voicemail setup and never offering a skip option. I used a the 0.4.2.13 version I found on this site and it worked. After getting past that problem now I can't figure out why I can't make calls from the google voice app. Does the dialer try to use a real phone dialer to make calls or why does it start to dial and then disappear? Anyone got a good solution for making calls from your archos using google voice? Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread. Why does the Voice app not appear in the market either?? Can't even use the QR Code or the link from google.com/voice to install it. Have to find apk and side load. Would be nice to see this app show up in market with the most up to date version from google :)

Last edited:

gashadow

Dec 7, 2010
I installed Google Voice from the above apk. After much trial and error, I have texting working perfectly except for one thing. When somebody sends a text to my Google Voice number, the text goes to my cell phone and notifies me by a ringtone. The message also goes to the Google Voice Inbox on my Archos 101 but there is no kind of notification. Is there someway I can get a ringtone notification on my Archos for an incoming text message?

675 Trip

Feb 17, 2010
CA
I installed the silence widgets from my phone and noticed the archos boots often with some functions silenced.i get a notification when i get text on. Archos

Itaintrite

Feb 10, 2008
New York.
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I installed Google Voice from the above apk. After much trial and error, I have texting working perfectly except for one thing. When somebody sends a text to my Google Voice number, the text goes to my cell phone and notifies me by a ringtone. The message also goes to the Google Voice Inbox on my Archos 101 but there is no kind of notification. Is there someway I can get a ringtone notification on my Archos for an incoming text message?
Try checking settings. There probably is an option to choose your Notification ringtone.

jerdog

Admin Emeritus - Purveyor of word nuggets
Ok guys - I know that this works on my Evo, and I will install it on my 101 when it gets here. But I wanted to put this down to see how it works for you.

This is taken from:
VOIP for Android devices

1. If not already done, install Google Voice on your device using the link already on this thread above.

2. Install Sipdroid from the Market on your device. Alternatively here is a link to it - Sipdroid

3. When you run the Sipdroid app for the first time, you’ll see a touch button at the bottom of the screen. This will setup Sipdroid, a background service at a site pbxes.org (a free virtual PBX site), and activate the VOIP service. You be prompted to enter your Google Account User ID and Password. This info is used to create an account at pbxes.org. This service does background/transparent call management.

4. Sipdroid will auto activate when you turn on wifi and stays active until you disconnect from wifi. There will be a new icon (Round icon which should be green when connected) in the notification area of your device showing if you are connected to the VOIP service. Close out of Sipdroid - I haven't used it again after successfully signing in.

5. Install fring from the Market. You'll use this to initiate GV/SIP calls over wifi.

6. Setup your SIP account on fring - make sure your entire pbxes.org address is used as the login.

7. Make sure that it successfully logs in, and then press menu and open the dialer. Enter in a phone number to dial, and choose "SIP call". I entered in the phone number with area code but no "+1" or "1" in front.

That should be all you have to do. Let me know if it doesn't work and we can troubleshoot. I will be getting my 101 soon and then I will be able to test this.

Reactions: hamzer11

hamzer11

Dec 5, 2010
The method above worked great but when calling its muting the speaker on my 101. Any suggestions?

bradgog

Mar 24, 2010
Washington, DC
no issues here, i text with it all the time, now if i could only make phone calls, for the ringtone you need to open settings in google voice, enter the app and hit the menu button and go to settings, make sure notifications are turned on.

hamzer11

Dec 5, 2010
no issues here, i text with it all the time, now if i could only make phone calls, for the ringtone you need to open settings in google voice, enter the app and hit the menu button and go to settings, make sure notifications are turned on.
I haven't tried the texting but I was able to make calls last night using the posted method. Once I dial I hear the ringing on the 101 speaker but the instant I pick up the line I am calling the Archos volume icon on the top right shows with the X (muted). This happens automatically. When I try to do volume control the volume description says "in-call volume" and is at the first level but I can't raise or lower it. As soon as I end the call the volume icon goes back to normal. If we can resolve this we can make calls over wifi using the method posted by jerdog.

jerdog

I haven't tried the texting but I was able to make calls last night using the posted method. Once I dial I hear the ringing on the 101 speaker but the instant I pick up the line I am calling the Archos volume icon on the top right shows with the X (muted). This happens automatically. When I try to do volume control the volume description says "in-call volume" and is at the first level but I can't raise or lower it. As soon as I end the call the volume icon goes back to normal. If we can resolve this we can make calls over wifi using the method posted by jerdog.

It has got to have something to do with not having the Phone.apk or TelephonyProvider.apk. It seems that it doesn't know how to route audio input.... It works on my HTC Evo phone....

Does Archos have a tablet that has a cell radio in it that we could extract those apk's and try adding them in even though we know it wouldn't work as a phone?

And has anyone tried using a Bluetooth or a wired headset to see if audio works in that?

hamzer11

Dec 5, 2010
It has got to have something to do with not having the Phone.apk or TelephonyProvider.apk. It seems that it doesn't know how to route audio input.... It works on my HTC Evo phone....

Does Archos have a tablet that has a cell radio in it that we could extract those apk's and try adding them in even though we know it wouldn't work as a phone?

And has anyone tried using a Bluetooth or a wired headset to see if audio works in that?
I tried the wired headset but no luck, the system turns the sound off. Not sure if there is a cell radio in the Archos. I will try to play around some more today but I am still learning about Android.

I will also give a bluetooth headset a shot

bk9iq

Dec 30, 2010
Yeah That happens .... the only way now to solve the Speaker problem is by pressing the power Button and then choose Silent Mode and it will activate it :)

Reactions: hamzer11

jerdog

I tried the wired headset but no luck, the system turns the sound off. Not sure if there is a cell radio in the Archos. I will try to play around some more today but I am still learning about Android.

I will also give a bluetooth headset a shot

There isn't a radio in the Gen8 as far as I can tell - but I am wondering if any of their other models have one?

It's most likely an instance where we'll have to hack the kernel to include audio input - if the hardware is even capable of it. Or to allow BT audio in

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok guys - I know that this works on my Evo, and I will install it on my 101 when it gets here. But I wanted to put this down to see how it works for you.

This is taken from:
    VOIP for Android devices

1. If not already done, install Google Voice on your device using the link already on this thread above.

2. Install Sipdroid from the Market on your device. Alternatively here is a link to it - Sipdroid

3. When you run the Sipdroid app for the first time, you’ll see a touch button at the bottom of the screen. This will setup Sipdroid, a background service at a site pbxes.org (a free virtual PBX site), and activate the VOIP service. You be prompted to enter your Google Account User ID and Password. This info is used to create an account at pbxes.org. This service does background/transparent call management.

4. Sipdroid will auto activate when you turn on wifi and stays active until you disconnect from wifi. There will be a new icon (Round icon which should be green when connected) in the notification area of your device showing if you are connected to the VOIP service. Close out of Sipdroid - I haven't used it again after successfully signing in.

5. Install fring from the Market. You'll use this to initiate GV/SIP calls over wifi.

6. Setup your SIP account on fring - make sure your entire pbxes.org address is used as the login.

7. Make sure that it successfully logs in, and then press menu and open the dialer. Enter in a phone number to dial, and choose "SIP call". I entered in the phone number with area code but no "+1" or "1" in front.

That should be all you have to do. Let me know if it doesn't work and we can troubleshoot. I will be getting my 101 soon and then I will be able to test this.
    Yeah That happens .... the only way now to solve the Speaker problem is by pressing the power Button and then choose Silent Mode and it will activate it :)