Jan 5, 2008
@scilor.com
www.scilor.com
SciLor's Fuel Blaster vs. LulzSoft's Gasmate

Gasmate:
http://www.lulzsoft.com/

SciLor's Fuel Blaster:
http://scilor.ac-host.net/fuelblaster.html

Hello, I would like to now if it is worth to continue developing my Fuel Blaster due to a similar program by dlichterman (Gasmate)

I'll try to show all features of each program and you can decide what program you like more.

BEFORE VOTING TAKE A LOOK!, WOULD BE NICE TO GIVE SOME FEEDBACK!

First of all Screenshots:
(Showing all available Screens/Pages)

FuelblasterVS.gif

GasmateVS.gif

Then a table comparing features

FuelBlasterVSgasmateTable.gif

Feel free to vote for the best, not just to me for writing this. (I tried to show the best of both tools!)

Last edited:

vigin

May 27, 2008
vote no.4

Reminded me on Brewster's Milions "Vote for None of The Above" campaign

j/k

in my opinion, both apps are good, I just would like them to have some of the eyecandy :cool:

6700Freak

Aug 10, 2007
Ankeny
I disagree with Gasmate 'Stylus is a Must' statement.

I have been using Gasmate for about 2 months and find that I have YET to need my stylus to use it.

Only thing missing from Gasmate currently is multiple vehicles, but author is polishing the program for single vehicle currently and then promises to support multi vehicles when fully released.

scilor

Jan 5, 2008
@scilor.com
www.scilor.com
Thank you for your response, but in my opinion on my QVGA device I is really difficult to press the tabs without hitting the exit/about button and this is very anoying

6700Freak

Aug 10, 2007
Ankeny
I agree that it would be nicer if the tabs were more finger friendly but it can be done without a stylus.

BlitzWing00

Jun 28, 2009
Vancouver, BC
twitter.com
I like your Fuel Blaster better.

The following are some of my impressions of Fuel Blaster vs Gasmate. No offense to either creators, these are just my opinions. I'm providing my feedback so maybe each creator can improve their programs. You're both awesome for making programs to help us all.

Pros
- Fuel Blaster's interface feels & looks better, Gasmate seems too "basic"
- Fuel Blaster's summary page is more in depth
- Fuel Blaster has Graphs
- Fuel Blaster has Customizable Units
- Fuel Blaster utilizes WVGA, Gasmate is only VGA (doesn't utilize the full screen for WVGA screens)

Cons
- Gasmate has different fuel types & grades
- Gasmate has Maintenance Records
- Gasmate has changeable date for Record Entry, Fuel Blaster is set to the time you enter the Record (what if you forgot & enter it the next week?)
- (Minor) Gasmate uses a decimal point "." instead of a comma "," (I know some places uses a comma for a decimal point but I don't like it)

Suggestions
- I would like to see Fuel Blaster with selectable different profiles for different vehicles. That way if I have multiple vehicles, I can keep track of them all. (I have a car & a motorcycle).

Marx2

May 6, 2006
Gliwice
Add FuelLog to this comparision. I use it third year (maybe longer...?) and it works ok (but could be better). What I miss in FuelLog is multicar functionality, and multifuel (I have gas+LPG). Also very usefull would be possibility to synchronize with websites, which tracks fuel consumption (export/import) like www.motostat.pl

nerys71

May 13, 2008
I would love to see a simpler "just fuel log" finger friendly "pretty" interface.

I boot up and it has a date field but its already filled in (I can change if need to)

tap miles I enter my miles traveled (my odo is 1.05 off so odo readings are worthless I use trip meter readings because I have larger tires)

it should guess by prefilling with the last miles I used.

tap fuel and plop in gallons used (it should guess by putting in the last amount I used and use 2 decimal places)

being able to "slide" the values would be nice. IE say I went 442 miles but last time I went 402 and it fills with 402. I just "slide" my finger over the 0 4 times to make it a 4 hit done.

this would make entry super slick super fast.

THEN the final punch. some way of "integrating" with sites like "ecomodder" to "sync" my log with the site automatically right over the air.

that would rock :)

brucegil

Aug 3, 2010
Birmingham
Data Entry Is Problem for Both

Both programs require multiple taps to enter each digit. This is time consuming. Another program, MPG Tracker, displays a numeric key pad when you tap into each of the fields - miles, gallons, price. So data entry is faster and easier.

The biggest problem I have with Fuel Blaster is that I entered the data, and tapped on the Save button but nothing happened. When I moved to another screen, my entries had not been saved. I had to do this three times before I finally got a message asking if I wanted to create another data set. I tapped Yes, and my data was saved. I have no problems with my screen responding to taps in other programs. I can't understand why the large Save button does not easily save my data - and I don't need a confirmation screen; just save the data.

Gas Mate has not been updated since 2009 and the design reflects the old stylus entry screens.

All three programs need better Exit methods that actually shut down the program and remove it from memory. Many programs do thnis, so it can be done.

I will test all three for a while, but right now, MPG Tracker appears to be better for recording fuel consumption. It allows for different fuel grades and multiple vehicles. If I used my vehicle for business, I would probably get one of the better, paid programs that does more.