Temp root for apps required root access (for s-on IS)

Search This thread

jrywu

Jun 19, 2008
Taipei
Psneuter exploit is working on IS, but because /system is locked on s-on phones, we can't copy su and superuser.apk into /system, apps required root access can't work.
The following procedure uses psenuter exploit to gain adb shell root, and then copy su (without privilege control ) and busybox into /sbin (which is on rootfs and in the global PATH list) to gain root access for apps.
The procedure:
1. Unzip the attached .zip into a directory (like c:\adb)
2. Open a command prompt and cd to the directory where you extracted the .zip (like cd \adb)
3. run pushroot.bat (simply type pushroot)
4. adb shell /data/local/tmp/getroot
5. adb shell
6. you are now in # prompt. Type /data/local/tmp/pushroot

You have to redo steps 4,5,6 once you reboot your phone.

The procedure will have all apps gaining root access.
!!USE ON YOUR OWN RISK!!

Known working programs: Root explorer, Titanium backup, gscript lite, trasproxy 2.04, ...
Some apps check existence of su in /system/xbin , and reject to proceed if the su binary is not exist (like transproxy 3.08). For this kind of apps, this procedure won't help.

Attachments

• ISTemproot.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,125
Last edited:

vido.ardes

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 22, 2008
UK
Thanks for writing this up, might quell the thirst for S-OFF a little longer ;)

Hawkysoft

Jul 21, 2010
Rotterdam
/system/ is writeable btw, if you remount it, but after reboot everything u done will be changed to the way it were before.

so a temp root in xbin is possible also, only it will be gone afterwards (atleast i never tried this, but should work also...)

jrywu

Jun 19, 2008
Taipei
Yes. /system could be remount in rw with root. However, the files you wrote will be gone after you remount ro, and then you won't be able to copy the same filename into the same location again before next reboot ( I don't know why, actually!!). This is why I put su in sbin instead of /system/xbin.

Last edited:

faf

Jan 31, 2005
Does anyone know whether steps 4, 5 and 6 can be run from the device itself?

Can I put these commands into some sort of script and run it everytime I need temp root or would I need to do this from a computer every time?

itandy

Apr 28, 2010
Hong Kong
Does anyone know whether steps 4, 5 and 6 can be run from the device itself?

Can I put these commands into some sort of script and run it everytime I need temp root or would I need to do this from a computer every time?

I believe you can do it from a terminal emulator but haven't got the chance to try it myself though.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

sky1212

Apr 29, 2006
pushroot error
c:/adb>adb shell ln /data/local/tem/busybox /data/local/tmp/cp
Link failed File exists
and
c:/adb>adb shell /data/local/tmp/getroot
mmap<> failed. operation not permitted
Why??THX....

Last edited:

jrywu

Jun 19, 2008
Taipei
I believe you can do it from a terminal emulator but haven't got the chance to try it myself though.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk
Definitely, this is the way to go.
Unfortunately, the root exploit I know could run on device itself, including
rageagainstthecage (ratc) and local root exploit (hotplug) both failed on IS.

The solution will be nearly perfect if we can get temp root on IS without a computer link.
Any input will be welcome.

Last edited:

jrywu

Jun 19, 2008
Taipei
pushroot error
c:/adb>adb shell ln /data/local/tem/busybox /data/local/tmp/cp
Link failed File exists
and
c:/adb>adb shell /data/local/tmp/getroot
mmap<> failed. operation not permitted
Why??THX....
Please then type adb shell.
If you see # but not $, do
cd /data/local/tmp
rm ./cp
ln busybox cp
./pushroot
Then you finished the install.
If you see $, please do all over again.

Last edited:

vido.ardes

Aug 22, 2008
UK
You can also add ShootMe (screen capture app) and SetCPU to the list of working apps. SetCPU will only allow you underclock for now due to the kernel, but it is a nice touch if you are worried about battery life. Adfree doesn't appear to work :(

touchpro247

Apr 8, 2009
You can also add ShootMe (screen capture app) and SetCPU to the list of working apps. SetCPU will only allow you underclock for now due to the kernel, but it is a nice touch if you are worried about battery life. Adfree doesn't appear to work :(

Adfree is working for me. Are you getting some type of error message?

MetaMorph, screenshot and MyBackup Root are also working.

I had to mount system, then push su to /system/xbin. Then install BusyBox Installer from Market.

Last edited:

vido.ardes

Aug 22, 2008
UK
No erro, still got the ads. I've tried rebooting & rerooting, still no luck

Hawkysoft

Jul 21, 2010
Rotterdam
the anti-ads actually tries to modify the current host file... which is not allowed in your state as far as i know

what you can do is replace it by pushin it to the right spot
but after reboot gone,but sure u know ;)

vaothien

Oct 15, 2007
Mhm AdFree isnt working for me. The App states that everything is okay, and that my hosts file is up to date, but I see ads everywhere.

But I am kinda happy now, because i can use Titanium Backup

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Psneuter exploit is working on IS, but because /system is locked on s-on phones, we can't copy su and superuser.apk into /system, apps required root access can't work.
    The following procedure uses psenuter exploit to gain adb shell root, and then copy su (without privilege control ) and busybox into /sbin (which is on rootfs and in the global PATH list) to gain root access for apps.
    The procedure:
    1. Unzip the attached .zip into a directory (like c:\adb)
    2. Open a command prompt and cd to the directory where you extracted the .zip (like cd \adb)
    3. run pushroot.bat (simply type pushroot)
    4. adb shell /data/local/tmp/getroot
    5. adb shell
    6. you are now in # prompt. Type /data/local/tmp/pushroot

You have to redo steps 4,5,6 once you reboot your phone.

The procedure will have all apps gaining root access.
    !!USE ON YOUR OWN RISK!!

Known working programs: Root explorer, Titanium backup, gscript lite, trasproxy 2.04, ...
    Some apps check existence of su in /system/xbin , and reject to proceed if the su binary is not exist (like transproxy 3.08). For this kind of apps, this procedure won't help.
    Nice but old news mate...

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using XDA Premium App
    @eddycyf, did you test adfree with apps? Since it aint working for prophet...

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using XDA Premium App