Developers

Search This thread

iytrix

Dec 23, 2012
San Jose
Is there anyone developing for the Kindle Fire 2?

As far as I can see, the answer is no but I'm not sure if you're all just been busy and work and don't have much to post yet.

If there is no dev team(s), or devs at all working towards getting this thing with a working Recovery and ROM, I will most likely put together a team this weekend.

Also, assuming there are devs, may you share any findings you have? Why or why not the recovery is being a difficult process and whatnot.

I will probably put together a team just in case, I just can't make promises until I meet this weekend and see if they want to work on this.

If/when i get a team I will make a thread for it and post any news updates as they happen. I really hope we can all get this thing cracked open soon!

Thank you in advance!

UPDATE!:

:( I hit reply instead of save, so I lost my post sadly, so bullet points!

-I could not contact the main dev.
-I do not plan on making a full dev team anytime soon.
-Powerpoint45 and Hashcode are making progress, moreso Powerpoint, although eventually it seems Hashcode plans to have a workaround, just no ETA or promises from him, but there is more hope than before!
-I will still help and try and offer advice to any newer people, I am not a dev, but I have a decent amount of experience that would be enough to help new people.

Good luck to all!

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2010
Denton
I too would like to know this. I don't have much but I would donate what I can to the first dev or team to get us past this locked bootloader.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using xda app-developers app

iytrix

Dec 23, 2012
San Jose
I too would like to know this. I don't have much but I would donate what I can to the first dev or team to get us past this locked bootloader.

Thanks :) I'll let you all know what gets decided this weekend. One coder agreed so far but their experience with Android is limited. The main person I have yet to talk to but he is the one that constantly messes with his android devices since android first came out. The issue is that he does not have a kindle fire, so I may have to buy them ones or lend mine to them to get the coding started.

Oct 13, 2010
Denton
I have been flashing ROMs and whatnot for a couple years, done my vibrant, galaxy s2, and a few others, but have no coding or developing skills whatsoever. I imagine everyone starts somewhere but I don't have the slightest idea where to begin. I would love to learn though. A locked bootloader seems like a steep challenge compared to obtaining root or developing a ROM. I might be wrong in that regard too.

Antoine.WG

Jan 8, 2008
Chicagoland
Depends on how the bootloader is signed. The Motorola Droid and Droid X were relatively easy to crack but other devices may never be cracked without help from the manufacturer.

Redwolf379

Jan 12, 2011
I have been flashing ROMs and whatnot for a couple years, done my vibrant, galaxy s2, and a few others, but have no coding or developing skills whatsoever. I imagine everyone starts somewhere but I don't have the slightest idea where to begin. I would love to learn though. A locked bootloader seems like a steep challenge compared to obtaining root or developing a ROM. I might be wrong in that regard too.

Since this device already has Root, I don't know that the bootloader will be an issue. The Gen 1 Kindle Fire has JellyBean running on it already so it may be a (somewhat) simple task to port that to the Gen 2. I'll have to pull it and see what may be device specific to get things running on the Gen 2, but it can be done. We'll need to first get a custom recovery going to allow the ROM to install.

This looks promising from the Gen 1 forum. Perhaps someone can reach out to the dev and see 1) if he's ok with us using it and 2) if he can help get it going on the Gen 2.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1399889

LaserChicken

Apr 27, 2010
A locked bootloader generally means no custom kernels. Kexec is the only workaround (that I know of) other than unlocking, to start a new kernel . Root simply gives su access, it can't, in and of itself provide kernel customization.

Antoine.WG

Jan 8, 2008
Chicagoland
Didn't the recovery for the KFHD's get put on hold? The stock recoveries won't usually let you flash anything that's not signed.

I'm not a dev but it seems like porting the KF1 ROM over to the KF2 should be pretty easy. Other than the bootloader, the hardware changes were minor, just bumping the CPU/GPU up one model and doubling the RAM. Again, it all hinges on unlocking the bootloader or reverse engineering the key it's signed with. Anybody have access to Amazon's EC2 system?

iytrix

Dec 23, 2012
San Jose
Didn't the recovery for the KFHD's get put on hold? The stock recoveries won't usually let you flash anything that's not signed.

I'm not a dev but it seems like porting the KF1 ROM over to the KF2 should be pretty easy. Other than the bootloader, the hardware changes were minor, just bumping the CPU/GPU up one model and doubling the RAM. Again, it all hinges on unlocking the bootloader or reverse engineering the key it's signed with. Anybody have access to Amazon's EC2 system?

I just toured google today and made a new friend. He doesn't work on the android side, and that building is the most secure on the campus (That and the google+ are the only buildings regular employees can't enter fully without special permissions)

I am hoping he can introduce me to people on the android side of things and see if they would be willing to offer any insight that wouldn't involve an NDA heh.

Redwolf379

Jan 12, 2011
A locked bootloader generally means no custom kernels. Kexec is the only workaround (that I know of) other than unlocking, to start a new kernel . Root simply gives su access, it can't, in and of itself provide kernel customization.

This is true, however the question was around custom ROMS, not kernels. You do not need a custom kernel to run a custom ROM, it's just nice to have the flexability. :)

tjmack3rd

Aug 24, 2010
Has anyone tried a Kindle fire HD rom? I think the specs are identical except for the screen. I'll do a little research and see what I can do. I would like to see otg working on my son's 2nd generation fire. Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

iytrix

Dec 23, 2012
San Jose
Has anyone tried a Kindle fire HD rom? I think the specs are identical except for the screen. I'll do a little research and see what I can do. I would like to see otg working on my son's 2nd generation fire. Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

That's not quite how it works. I would also recommend to NOT TRY ANYTHING ON THE OTHER KINDLE FORUMS. If you check here, people have posted what works. I believe there is one guide for the basic rooting, and another for the steps on using root to make your Kindle do some decent stuff (new launchers, lockscreens, marketplace, all the good stuff!)

However, the issue with the KF2 is not really getting ROMs on, it's the step before it which is getting a working recovery so we can safely flash ROMs onto the device. Once that's done it shouldn't be hard to get a ROM, and it may be even possible to just use a KFHD ROM without any issues, BUT we need the recovery on here first, and getting around the locked bootloader.

To my all caps warning, just check the Q & A forums to see all the people who tried the recovery, rom, and rooting methods for their KF2. Most end up bricked.

If you are experienced in the sort of thing, go ahead and try at your own risk, just be careful. As you may notice, yes, most if not all (can't remember off the top of my head) of the methods we use to root ARE from the KFHD, so yes, some things do work, but way too many times I read about people that tried to put software that wasn't for the KF2 on it and it ends up bricked. Thankfully people seem to be fixing the bricked Kindles, but it's a very unfortunate experience people shouldn't have to go through.

Reactions: LaserChicken

fmkilo

Oct 8, 2012
Cedar Rapids, IA,USA
That's not quite how it works. I would also recommend to NOT TRY ANYTHING ON THE OTHER KINDLE FORUMS. If you check here, people have posted what works. I believe there is one guide for the basic rooting, and another for the steps on using root to make your Kindle do some decent stuff (new launchers, lockscreens, marketplace, all the good stuff!)

However, the issue with the KF2 is not really getting ROMs on, it's the step before it which is getting a working recovery so we can safely flash ROMs onto the device. Once that's done it shouldn't be hard to get a ROM, and it may be even possible to just use a KFHD ROM without any issues, BUT we need the recovery on here first, and getting around the locked bootloader.

To my all caps warning, just check the Q & A forums to see all the people who tried the recovery, rom, and rooting methods for their KF2. Most end up bricked.

If you are experienced in the sort of thing, go ahead and try at your own risk, just be careful. As you may notice, yes, most if not all (can't remember off the top of my head) of the methods we use to root ARE from the KFHD, so yes, some things do work, but way too many times I read about people that tried to put software that wasn't for the KF2 on it and it ends up bricked. Thankfully people seem to be fixing the bricked Kindles, but it's a very unfortunate experience people shouldn't have to go through.

I burnt out my usb port trying to make a fastboot cable. I tied the wrong pin in... I'm waiting on my replacement. I'm going to try to use the revrom to get the cwm on my kf2 if that works, I'm sure we could get someone to make a touch cwm or twrp for the kfhd. If the kfhd cwm works, we could use the touch cwm/twrp. Perhaps it will need to be modified... perhaps not. I suspect that the cwm won't work perfectly and we need to modify it to use the correct partition table.

I should mention that using my current factory cable, I can get to fastboot. I just burnt out the data pin. I tried to use dd to flash the revboot stuff, but I forgot to do the part where you get past the locked bootloader... instabrick

Last edited:

powerpoint45

Jan 31, 2012
Dallas
I burnt out my usb port trying to make a fastboot cable. I tied the wrong pin in... I'm waiting on my replacement. I'm going to try to use the revrom to get the cwm on my kf2 if that works, I'm sure we could get someone to make a touch cwm or twrp for the kfhd. If the kfhd cwm works, we could use the touch cwm/twrp. Perhaps it will need to be modified... perhaps not. I suspect that the cwm won't work perfectly and we need to modify it to use the correct partition table.

I should mention that using my current factory cable, I can get to fastboot. I just burnt out the data pin. I tried to use dd to flash the revboot stuff, but I forgot to do the part where you get past the locked bootloader... instabrick

I was trying to make a fb cable earlier today but the connectors were too hard to solder so I need a new cable to work with. I had same idea as u. Trying to boot into a recovery like cwm

Sent from my DROIDX using xda app-developers app

chronicfathead

Mar 23, 2008
Sleaford, Lincs
I was trying to make a fb cable earlier today but the connectors were too hard to solder so I need a new cable to work with. I had same idea as u. Trying to boot into a recovery like cwm

Sent from my DROIDX using xda app-developers app

I bought one on eBay for £3 including free next day delivery. I'll try to find the link as he was selling lots and it was delivered fast (in UK).

EDIT :
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=140893291002

Sent using my Jelly fingers.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys! Just wanted to show you the tests that were done yesterday with Hashcode. We are testing a boot image made by Hashcode. A custom recovery was built by hashcode but we never got it to boot...

Test 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af2QeTZSgyI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Test 2:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtT4BoHQLOM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Test 2 boot selection https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fWVPBygQSA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Test 3https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozr_62ssVkw&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    I might make a kf2 root app

I know this is old news by now, but Hashcode's rom recovery and bootloader were released yesterday. Powerpoint45 is working on a rom, I may be available for help and tutorials/walkthroughs...