Sprint Special Edition Harman/Kardon M8

Search This thread

theo213

Jan 17, 2011
Audio

The 1.54.651.8 update added the option. However right now it's not working on existing devices (no audio from phone speakers). I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I initially had the issue with the front speakers not working but there's a crude work around: plug some headphones in and you'll notice that the audio plays fine and sounds great>go into settings scroll down and you'll notice that boomsound is off>turn it on>unplug headphones>Profit

Not ideal but a "work around"

themuffinman

Jan 3, 2008
It makes no sense for this to be any different than the current m8. This definitely has to be all software similar to beats audio on the m7, nothing more nothing less.

Sent from my 831C using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

metalfan78

Jan 30, 2010
Littleton, CO
I enabled BoomSound earlier and every reboot cause my ringer volume to go way down to minimum so I disabled again and back to normal. There are quite a few little quirks with this phone,lol

FYL21

Mar 18, 2013
It appears to be just a software EQ setting like Beats Audio. evleaks is claiming it's a H/K special edition which will be released later but I find that unlikely.

ahecht

Oct 23, 2010
I actually really like that Music Channel feature. It works with Google Music too, not just the HTC app. I wonder why it was deactivated. The only bug I've found is that the "Random" scene always uses "Plasma", not any of the other scenes.

Last edited:

theo213

Jan 17, 2011
Music Channel

I actually really like that Music Channel feature. It works with Google Music too, not just the HTC app. I wonder why it was deactivated. The only bug I've found is that the "Random" scene always uses "Plasma", not any of the other scenes.

Where is that music channel feature found on the .xml file? For instance, Text Viewer/Editor shows the Harman/Kardon entry around line 137.

damailmann1

Nov 25, 2010
covina
M8

I woke up this morning and the first post I saw on G+ was the Harman/Kardon Special Edition from Pocketnow, I clicked the Pocketnow link and scrolled all the way and I saw the Xda link and took me here. I was like "oh ****", this is my thread. Lol.. I got all excited.. Haha

djjroc007

Apr 27, 2011
Detroit
Google Pixel 6
I notice the boom sound icon does not appear in the status bar anymore after enabling this, both with headphones and without. Although, without headphones, the boom sound setting is grayed out and shows enabled.

With headphones, it lets me toggle the boom sound setting on, but it doesn't stick. After turning it on, when I go back in to settings, its off again.

This normal?

Edit: as I read back, I see this was discussed.....:screwy::rolleyes:

Sent from my 831C using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

chemjb

Nov 18, 2011
Pacoima
After thinkering with the default.xml file.
I concluded that you cant have boomsound and harman enabled at the same time. It seems to me they cancel each other.
So when I enabled harman I went to the bottom of the file and set to false boomsound support and harman setting works great. I do noticed the changes in sound when toggling the switches.

Overall conclusion. Harman is better on the speakers really excells.
On headphones boomsound is a little better just a little.
Bluetooth they both suck. I hate the no support for bluetooth on either harman or boomsound.
Blows since I use a lot of bluetooth speakers.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

uh60james

Sep 29, 2010
Birmingham, AL
I'm not sure if it does anything but you can enable Beats by doing the same thing.
nu7a3ada.jpg

weidnerj

May 24, 2010
I enabled each one at a time, but they all sound the same to me. Maybe I just have crappy hearing.
Ph33zy, I was thinking the same thing. I could tell when Beats was on or off on the M7, just a bass enhancement. But turning Beats or the Harman/Kardon option feels like the placebo effect. Makes you feel better but no real benefit.

Sandman9043

Sep 28, 2013
Okay i am kinda been trying to keep up with this one but we are talking about the sprint version right and if so then why can't I see it in my m8 there is nothing in the way what is shown in these screen shots

bimmerbot

Nov 21, 2008
You have to read through the whole thread to see the default.xml modifications required to enable the menu option. It's not factory enabled on the early release M8s.

See post #17 and #20 of this thread particularly.

Last edited:

Sandman9043

Sep 28, 2013
You have to read through the whole thread to see the default.xml modifications required to enable the menu option. It's not factory enabled on the early release M8s.

See post #17 and #20 of this thread particularly.

Thank you very much so it's in there just not by default enabled this would be great for a rom extra

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just saw this breaking news about the Sprint Special Edition Harman/Kardon M8 http://www.androidheadlines.com/201...-kardon-audio-special-edition-htc-one-m8.html, Anyone else know anything about this? I hope this is for real.
    So I was able to pick it up with no problems. They even waived the $35 transaction fee since they remembered me asking about a black M8. Been a little over an hour now and here is what I have.

AUDIO===========
    -The headphones that come with it are fantastic. I consider myself a "medium grade" audiophile since I can't afford hundreds of dollars for nicer ones. The highs and mids are CRISP. The lows leave a bit to be desired but I have not installed poweramp yet to fix that.

-Clari-Fi "restores lost quality".....What ever. I will never understand how information that is not there can magically be filled. It can only guess and being that I havent listened to anything above 256kbps, I cant tell

-Live Stage adds a nice touch to audio. I wouldnt say it sounds "live" but it definately brings everything down to a even level across the board.

MISC============
    -The buttons(both power and volume rocker) are more "clicky". They let you know they are being pressed. My old one would just "mush" down as I pressed them and i'd have to look at the screen to make sure my action was performed.

-Pictures don't do it justice. It really does look great in the hand(on that note).

-FINGER PRINT MAGNET! My goodness. The back might as well be glossy with how every single finger print looks on it. It is crazy lol.

Just a heads up for all future owners. Not really unexpected but all root, recovery, and s-off methods work with no problems.
    After thinkering with the default.xml file.
    I concluded that you cant have boomsound and harman enabled at the same time. It seems to me they cancel each other.
    So when I enabled harman I went to the bottom of the file and set to false boomsound support and harman setting works great. I do noticed the changes in sound when toggling the switches.

Overall conclusion. Harman is better on the speakers really excells.
    On headphones boomsound is a little better just a little.
    Bluetooth they both suck. I hate the no support for bluetooth on either harman or boomsound.
    Blows since I use a lot of bluetooth speakers.

Where is this Harmon option I don't see it to n mine

Here, I’ll consolidate the thread for you. :p

STEPS TO ENABLE HARMAN AND MUSIC CHANNEL AND DISABLE BOOMSOUND

1. Using a root browser, find: /system/customize/ACC/Default.xml

2. Open it with a text editor.

3. Under <app name=”Android Multimedia”>, find the bold line below and change it from false to true

<app name="Android_Multimedia">
    <item type="integer" name="has_default_alarm_volume">6</item>
    <item type="integer" name="has_default_media_headset_volume">7</item>
    <item type="integer" name="has_default_media_speaker_volume">10</item>
    <item type="integer" name="has_default_ringtone_volume">5</item>
    <item type="boolean" name="spport_screen_light">false</item>
    <item type="boolean" name="support_a2dp_safevolume">false</item>
    <item type="boolean" name="support_camera_enforce_shuttersound">false</item>
    <item type="boolean" name="support_customer_proxy">true</item>
    <item type="boolean" name="support_customization_fallback">false</item>
    <item type="boolean" name="support_harman">true</item>
    <item type="boolean" name="support_miit_request">false</item>
    <item type="boolean" name="support_music_ringtone">false</item>
    <item type="boolean" name="support_outdoor_mode">false</item>
    <item type="boolean" name="support_qcelp">false</item>
    <item type="boolean" name="support_theater_effect_logo">false</item>
    <item type="integer" name="use_ringtone_for_notification">1</item>

4. While you’re in there, go to the bottom of the file, and find this line to disable Boomsound so it doesn’t compete with Harman. Change true to false.

<item type="boolean" name="support_boomsound_effect">false</item>

5. Eight lines below that, you can enable Music Channel if you want (not necessary, and by some accounts, not fully functional), by changing false to true.

<item type="boolean" name="support_music_channel">true</item>

Save the changes, exit the file, and reboot, Then check your system settings again to see Harman (and Music Channel if you enabled that).